Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoo, I "one-shotted" my first boss in this game, Okatsu, good fight. Total death count at 793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I haven't used any magic or ninjitsu outside of divination and quick change so far, but I just respecced to 20 dex/magic to get those last mystic arts and I'm about to respec back to my kill-dudes-with-sword build - any recommendations on jutsu to fit into my build? Aside from sloth, I was thinking of taking water + lightning weapon buffs so I can apply discord when things get rough, and I guess power pills? There are no numbers on any of these skills so I don't know how worthwhile the effects are. I'm not going to put much into dex or magic so things that do direct damage are probably not going to be so hot.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
There's some exploit with the blacksmith where you can just spam speak to tome over and over and get points. Doesn't work for me for some reason!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

I haven't used any magic or ninjitsu outside of divination and quick change so far, but I just respecced to 20 dex/magic to get those last mystic arts and I'm about to respec back to my kill-dudes-with-sword build - any recommendations on jutsu to fit into my build? Aside from sloth, I was thinking of taking water + lightning weapon buffs so I can apply discord when things get rough, and I guess power pills? There are no numbers on any of these skills so I don't know how worthwhile the effects are. I'm not going to put much into dex or magic so things that do direct damage are probably not going to be so hot.

I'm bad at this game, so take this with a grain of salt, but I prefer earth to lightning. Earth prevents ki regen. A Yokai standing in a yokai realm pool will not regen any ki if they are afflicted with earth. Spawning a yokai realm pool.is like, how yokai reset the clock on fights. This shuts that down before it happens.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Relin posted:

There's some exploit with the blacksmith where you can just spam speak to tome over and over and get points. Doesn't work for me for some reason!

"Exploit"? This is how you're supposed to get ~20 points or so after doing all of the game content (the rest coming from spending money).

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Emalde posted:

"Exploit"? This is how you're supposed to get ~20 points or so after doing all of the game content (the rest coming from spending money).
This produces an infinite amount with no new dialogue. Just spamming.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Drank an entire bottle of sake, beat 3 story bosses, and 2-3 side missions.

Game rules.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Ooof, please game stop throwing three dudes with all different movesets at me in small spaces as part of your "HERE'S WAVES OF ENEMIES YOU GOTTA FIGHT TO MOVE ON" thing. You're breaking my heart and making me have to look at using items to level the playing field, destroying my pointless and hard-headed bushido justice in the process.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol if you don't have like three slots dedicated to ninjitsu explosions

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

I also can't get it to work :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last night I found a katana with built-in earth damage, familiarity damage bonus, and Change to Attack (Heart) A+. I'm double-dipping on Heart scaling and it's a massive damage leap over my last sword. If only there was some way to make this thing divine in NG+ I'm pretty sure I'd never need another sword. As it is, I'm pretty sure I won't be replacing it until I get a really good divine one.

Also, the speaking to Tome thing is not an exploit. That's normal. There's a set number of questions she'll ask you and answering them correctly gets you patronage points.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol if you don't have like three slots dedicated to ninjitsu explosions

The best thing I ever did was investing heavily in ninjitsu. Also whoever said the quick-change scrolls were broken sure ain't lying.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently the exploit is that you can just repeatedly talk to her after having answered all her questions and continue to get patronage points ie mash X for profit

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

What's the name of the headpiece that increases Onmyo casting, and is it craftable?

Such an amazing quality of life item.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

All the dojo missions unlock after the first story mission of a chapter. So if it didnt unlock you have to wait til a new region.

Cool. I'm fighting the boss from the first main mission on region two, so hopefully it will unlock after this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm three stages in and I've only died once. Granted, they were all stages that I've played in the demos, but difficulty does seem to have taken a step down since I started.

Also I can't stop challenging Revenants, please send help.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You'll want to fight as many revenants as possible for the rewards and the glory used later at the hidden teahouse

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So can you forge divine items in NG+?

Oxxidation posted:

Also I can't stop challenging Revenants, please send help.

Never not fight revenants when you're in a comfortable enough position to do so. They're a great way to gear up and the Glory you get is a currency you can use later.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Stupid question but can I do any online co-op related stuff without a PS Plus account? It was one of the really annoying things about playing Bloodborne online. I really don't feel like getting a plus membership just for this game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can still summon player revenants to fight but you can't summon or be summoned for co-op.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

That's some bullshit. At least I can still fight Revenants though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Yes

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

WirelessPillow posted:

Curious: Why do you run left and right instead of dodge as the attacks or events occur?

It seems taxing on your Ki reservoir for when you gain opportunities.

Good killing in any case! She's a tough cookie to beat.

Every time I tried to dodge in past runs, she'd manage to hit or stun me. I found that running back while she charged at me and timing it just right would give me enough time to regenerate my stamina and land a hit or two, and then I'd just repeat

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ Often running is better. The ki usage for a dash and a run over the same difference is about the same and they both have upsides. Dash is obviously faster and has iframes, but a little tighter to time. So use it when you need to move urgently or when you need to pass through an attack, but run when you just don't want to be tracked.

The ki usage for a roll is actually higher than a run over the same difference, so it's really only preferable when you need the speed. I don't think its iframes extend longer than the dash.

Harrow posted:

Never not fight revenants when you're in a comfortable enough position to do so. They're a great way to gear up and the Glory you get is a currency you can use later.

Yeah there's a material called a divine shard that is used to raise the chance of crafting a divine weapon. I saw like ten of them in the whole of NG+, so they are quite rare. There's another more plentiful item you can use to raise the odds of divine drops though. Not sure how often it results in divine shards.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Do the title points or whatever you call them cap (other than running out of titles to get points from)? I've just been putting them in whatever (usually combat stats) but I'm wondering if I should be more strategic about it. They don't seem too important tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah there's a material called a divine shard that is used to raise the chance of crafting a divine weapon. I saw like ten of them in the whole of NG+, so they are quite rare. There's another more plentiful item you can use to raise the odds of divine drops though. Not sure how often it results in divine shards.

Sounds like that's going to cause me some RNG crafting anxiety, hooray :v:

Another question: can you get traits like Change to Attack (Heart) on reforges? My current sword has Change to Attack (Heart) A+ and I feel like I hit the jackpot since it's letting me double-dip on Heart scaling. I know I won't be able to keep this sword forever--it's purple and I'm towards the end of NG, so I'll likely be able to replace it with a divine weapon, but man that trait is hilarious on a katana. It has a Familiarity Damage Bonus, too, it's insane. It was like an instant 100 Attack leap over my last sword.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

Do the title points or whatever you call them cap (other than running out of titles to get points from)? I've just been putting them in whatever (usually combat stats) but I'm wondering if I should be more strategic about it. They don't seem too important tho

You'll keep getting them until you run out of titles. They add up to pretty big bonuses over time. Just put them into whatever is relevant to combat. There's more than enough item find consumables if you're ever farming.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Farming revenants for gear seems a bit like cheating. I already have 3 parts of warrior of the west after the first 2 main missions. Isn't that set locked behind Tachibana?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Eezee posted:

Farming revenants for gear seems a bit like cheating. I already have 3 parts of warrior of the west after the first 2 main missions. Isn't that set locked behind Tachibana?

Muneshige but it's fine, you should be glad at getting set drops from revenants, as the alternative is fighting the big man with the set until they drop their smithing text. :shepicide:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul match almost seems too good, but having the ability to not have an item you like get under leveled is pretty awesome.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

Soul match almost seems too good, but having the ability to not have an item you like get under leveled is pretty awesome.

It drops off in usefulness later when I seems like every few missions you get items leveled so much higher that it cost billions to soul match. Its great earlier if you find/reforge a good weapon.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bugblatter posted:

^^^ Often running is better. The ki usage for a dash and a run over the same difference is about the same and they both have upsides. Dash is obviously faster and has iframes, but a little tighter to time. So use it when you need to move urgently or when you need to pass through an attack, but run when you just don't want to be tracked.

The ki usage for a roll is actually higher than a run over the same difference, so it's really only preferable when you need the speed. I don't think its iframes extend longer than the dash.

They're not rare at all; just farm all the revenants with divine gear in ng+ and disassemble the gear, it takes about 10 minutes to get 30 divine shards

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The game is designed for you to farm revenants as a built in difficulty correction.

If part is hard-->Lots people die there-->people can get better gear-->people get past hard part.

If part is easy-->nobody with good gear dies-->people get past part.

On of the best sights in gaming is starting a side mission and just appearing in a field of graves, the Oh poo poo, whats coming? Feeling is intense and good.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yardbomb posted:

Muneshige but it's fine, you should be glad at getting set drops from revenants, as the alternative is fighting the big man with the set until they drop their smithing text. :shepicide:

What you don't want to fight him until you get the texts that sounds like fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have never gotten a piece of equipment that was better than what I was currently wearing from a Revenant. Not one time. Which has been consistently disappointing!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glenn Quebec posted:

What you don't want to fight him until you get the texts that sounds like fun

The big historic man fights are really challenging and fun, but it turns into a whole other situation when you're fighting someone for the 20th time because they won't hand over their book.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It gets very expensive later. It's often a better idea to just craft a new version of you have the smithing text. Eventually soul matching becomes a special occasion thing

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

CJacobs posted:

I have never gotten a piece of equipment that was better than what I was currently wearing from a Revenant. Not one time. Which has been consistently disappointing!

Bro blow all your hard earned cash money on reforging and soul matching purps and then fashion souls it the gently caress up

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

The big historic man fights are really challenging and fun, but it turns into a whole other situation when you're fighting someone for the 20th time because they won't hand over their book.

Come on, No time for woolgathering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Bro blow all your hard earned cash money on reforging and soul matching purps and then fashion souls it the gently caress up

I also have never bothered with soul matching because of how prohibitively expensive it is. For the past like 25 hours of gameplay I haven't had enough money to soul match even one item at my level because it all costs hundreds of thousands of gold! But I do frequently reforge my stuff to look cooler.