Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Weather people seem to REALLY believe that they are important.

*When California gets ONE drop of rain TOO LITTLE, they weatherwitcheswarlocks bring out the "drought" CDs.

**When California gets ONE drop of rain TOO MUCH, they weatherwitcheswarlocks bring out the "flood" CDs.

ABSURD.

Humans have been weather watching for only a little while compared to the age of the sun--4.5 BILLION years. So, the weatherwitcheswarlocks think that they are hot stuff.

BALDERDASH!

11 posted on 2/12/2017, 4:32:40 PM by cloudmountain

LAST YEAR ABE LINCOLN SAID HE WAS 15, THIS YEAR HE SAYS HE'S 16! WHICH IS IT ABE? BETTER KEEP YOUR STORY STRAIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Duke Igthorn posted:

LAST YEAR ABE LINCOLN SAID HE WAS 15, THIS YEAR HE SAYS HE'S 16! WHICH IS IT ABE? BETTER KEEP YOUR STORY STRAIGHT!

He'd also like you to believe he's not a baby eater. But he's never gone on record saying he isn't. Maybe he's too busy eating babies!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He'd also like you to believe he's not a baby eater. But he's never gone on record saying he isn't. Maybe he's too busy eating babies!

I can't wait to eat this...

baby

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So Flynn resigned. I am expecting a poo poo storm.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Flynn resigns amid controversy over Russia contacts

Hahaha we're not even a month in and we're already having staffers resign in disgrace.

quote:

To: rdl6989

Well, he kinda did it to himself. It’s too bad, though.

2 posted on 02/13/2017 8:12:08 PM PST by 60Gunner (The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. - Plato)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

On Fox News now also. There’s blood in the water now.

4 posted on 02/13/2017 8:13:18 PM PST by House Atreides (Send BOTH Hillary & Bill to prison.)

quote:

Wow, I have to think it was more serious than we know.

6 posted on 02/13/2017 8:15:13 PM PST by MagillaX

quote:

Anybody who won’t bow down to the media will be weeded out.

7 posted on 02/13/2017 8:15:45 PM PST by nickcarraway

quote:

I’m glad to see him go. He missed it on Iran - it was not the time to “put Iran on notice”.

8 posted on 02/13/2017 8:16:05 PM PST by RushingWater

If they cared that much then maybe they shouldn't have nominated him the first place?

quote:

Out like Flynn, huh.

Well it goes to show that the Trump folks do care about genuine integrity issues.

9 posted on 02/13/2017 8:16:27 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Embrace the Lion of Judah and He will roar for you and teach you to roar too. See my page.)

quote:

To: 60Gunner

Yes, he did do it to himself. Tough luck, Flynn, You gotta go. It isn't about you, after all.

10 posted on 02/13/2017 8:16:29 PM PST by hinckley buzzard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

I don’t quite get what just happened
but i’d be willing to bet this step wasn’t necessary.
Why does our side have to be so quick to fold?

11 posted on 02/13/2017 8:16:40 PM PST by lee martell

quote:

To: RushingWater

Those who can’t stand the heat will have to get out of the kitchen. And Trump is a master chef who has called for some scorchers.

12 posted on 02/13/2017 8:17:25 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Embrace the Lion of Judah and He will roar for you and teach you to roar too. See my page.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

I smell a rat in all this. The media and the left now has its Russia conspiracy narrative at full blast now and will be hanging it around the administration’s neck. I’m so sick of this. The media that didn’t do sh*t for eight years is going all out 24/7 to try and wreck this presidency.

13 posted on 02/13/2017 8:17:53 PM PST by dowcaet (uart)

15 posts until we got a "but Hillary-" Freep must be slipping.

quote:

the Justice Department warned the Trump administration last month that Flynn misled

They're selective about what they know and don't know.

When it comes to Hillary, they don't know nothin'.

15 posted on 02/13/2017 8:17:56 PM PST by MUDDOG

quote:

To: lee martell

He quit this one, but Donald gets to name the successor... the media doesn’t.

He could be back on something else, for all we know.

16 posted on 02/13/2017 8:18:12 PM PST by HiTech RedNeck (Embrace the Lion of Judah and He will roar for you and teach you to roar too. See my page.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Trump will fix it!

quote:

Not to worry, Trump will fix this.

18 posted on 02/13/2017 8:19:36 PM PST by reasonisfaith ("...because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved." (2 Thessalonians))

quote:

Much shrieking and gaiety going on over at the Left. They think they have thrown a roadblock upon President Trump. They haven’t. Flynn will be useful in other ways and a replacement is already in the works.

21 posted on 02/13/2017 8:20:15 PM PST by jch10 (President Trump, President Trump, President Trump! I just love saying that!)

Yes please, die on this hill!

quote:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Don’t accept the resignation please don’t give the victory to the left. Please.

26 posted on 02/13/2017 8:22:28 PM PST by tinamina

quote:

I don’t think Trump’s hand was forced here by the anti-Trumpers - there’s so much noise and hysteria in the establishment and media right now that the Flynn controversy was barely registering beyond the Beltway. There must have been genuine concern in the administration that Flynn could be compromised by the Russians.

28 posted on 02/13/2017 8:22:49 PM PST by AnotherUnixGeek

Possible Russian spy? eh. Lying to us? Death! :toughguy:

quote:

Flynn misled administration officials

You can't be part of a President's administration and lie to that administration; that's common sense.

29 posted on 02/13/2017 8:22:57 PM PST by Repeal 16-17 (Let me know when the Shooting starts.)

quote:

Aint that something? Trump doesn’t have his team in place, so he’s at the mercy of individuals from previous hostile administrations, Obama and Bush to approve his people. This should not stand.

31 posted on 02/13/2017 8:24:23 PM PST by swheats (America, America God shed His grace on thee.)

Oh poo poo! The NeverTrumpers are starting to peek out of their hidey-holes!

quote:

To: reasonisfaith

Yes because Trump had nothing to do with the appointment so he’ll fix it.

Wait, maybe Trump had this planned all along. He wanted Flynn to resign. He was just faking out the media. Yeah, Bannon and Preibus just gave him bad advice but now he’s going to really get involved and make the right choice. Flynn wasn’t his guy, he was the media’s guy.

Denial is fun!

34 posted on 02/13/2017 8:25:16 PM PST by Reagan Disciple (Peace through Strength)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Reagan Disciple

You seem to forget who Trump is and what he’s made of.

38 posted on 02/13/2017 8:27:44 PM PST by reasonisfaith ("...because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved." (2 Thessalonians))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Reagan Disciple

My advice to you is don’t let yourself be taken in by what the left and the establishment say. Losing Flynn is no big deal.

Flynn’s resignation has one effect—it confirms for us that the Trump Administration cares about integrity.

47 posted on 02/13/2017 8:32:03 PM PST by reasonisfaith ("...because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved." (2 Thessalonians))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies ]

Fake News!

quote:

To: Nifster

I guess we’ll have to wait for it to show up on “acceptable” blogs before some people will believe it.

Otherwise, it’s fake news.

36 posted on 02/13/2017 8:27:21 PM PST by JohnBrowdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Or David Petraeus! (I wish I was joking, I really wish I was joking.)

quote:

To: HiTech RedNeck

Oliver North to replace him! Or sarah Palin!

37 posted on 02/13/2017 8:27:36 PM PST by Forward the Light Brigade (Into the Jaws of H*ll Onward! Ride to the sound of the guns!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

quote:

To: MagillaX

Given the political capital spent and credibility on the line and this happens. This might be enough to keep a scotus seat empty? I’ve feared a few republicans have been hoping for an excuse.

39 posted on 02/13/2017 8:28:06 PM PST by enduserindy (I always smile when my competition doubles down on stupid.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: dowcaet; lee martell; plain talk

My snap judgment is that Flynn should *NOT* have resigned.
We know that Monica Lewinski was beneath the desk in the Oval Office while President Billy Jefferson Clinton was speaking to foreign leaders.

We have got to learn to shrug things off...just like the leftwingers do.
There will be a feeding frenzy around this for weeks.
Thugs will riot in a handful of cities over this non-story.

41 posted on 02/13/2017 8:28:45 PM PST by Blue Jays ( Rock hard ~ Ride free)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

quote:

To: lee martell

“I don’t quite get what just happened” - Me neither

“but i’d be willing to bet this step wasn’t necessary.” - I’m with you there.

“Why does our side have to be so quick to fold?” - Several theories but one thing is for sure - we’re sick and tired of it.

43 posted on 02/13/2017 8:30:30 PM PST by MichaelCorleone (Jesus Christ is not a religion. He's the Truth.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

quote:

To: AnotherUnixGeek

Or Flynn just fell on his sword to stop the media feeding frenzy. Or maybe a combination of Trump disappointed, Flynn stepping down.

45 posted on 02/13/2017 8:30:55 PM PST by Kenny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

49 Posts until "EMAILS!" I expected better from you Freep.

quote:

To: dowcaet

The media and the left now has its Russia conspiracy narrative at full blast now and will be hanging it around the administration’s neck.

Yeah, it's not like this satisfies the howling MSM mob. It just whets their appetite.

Maybe they can find some spot for Flynn where he is working on the war against radical Islam but not dealing with Russia.

I heard some MSMer on tv solemnly intone about the risk of "possible blackmail" Flynn was exposed to because Russia knew about the conversation.

But they never cared about blackmail when Hillary had her private server compromised by at least five foreign intel agencies!

And they certainly never cared about blackmail when Barky was smirking and serving up his phony birth certificate!

49 posted on 02/13/2017 8:34:06 PM PST by Meet the New Boss

Wait... he's a (gasp) Democrat?

quote:

To: Bigtigermike

OK. Didn't know he was a Democrat, which is being mentioned in this thread. Why do Republican presidents insist on including the enemy in their cabinet nominees? It is a practice that has to stop, IMO.

50 posted on 02/13/2017 8:35:14 PM PST by Major Matt Mason (Those that can, do, those that can't, work in the Beltway.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 32 | View Replies]

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

Aint that something? Trump doesn’t have his team in place, so he’s at the mercy of individuals from previous hostile administrations, Obama and Bush to approve his people. This should not stand. 

31 posted on 02/13/2017 8:24:23 PM PST by swheats (America, America God shed His grace on thee.) 
I'm trying to work out what this one even means. Obama and Bush people to approve Trump's people?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Yes, because that's the exact same circumstances as what's happening here. :rolleyes:

quote:

I.m very sad to see that....Ted Kennedy went to Russia and actually tried to make a deal with them, and many Democrats including Kerry went to Central America to talk to Ortega and the Sandanistas during the Reagan administration

54 posted on 02/13/2017 8:36:54 PM PST by terycarl (COMMON SENSE PREVAILS OVER ALL)

Oh, apparently Sally Yates is involved, too.

quote:

Cannot let the media gloat on this— like they were calling the shots all along- especially the Yates biotch. Right— she “warned” Trump about Flynn, even as she independently decided whether she would enforce the law— and didn’t and she herself was fired.

Number one— did he lie to Pence? Number two: there is a transcript of his phone call (Byron York), only hints at the sanctions being changed (and defused the Russian ramp up obamaumao was crapping all over Trump with- since obamaumao hates the US. Troops sent to Poland 7k of them— remember that). Number three: Flynn and McChrystal both fired by Obama— and for what? Being outstanding killer islamofascist fighters and spec0ps leaders— and obamuzzie in chief couldn’t have that and found the most ridiculous reason to let McChrystal go and eventually his junior- Flynn.

Trump had better find another true muzzie killer, because the muzzie brotherhood and obamaumao holdovers and the media are going to strip him naked with their g-d damned manipulation and beltway lies. This is chicken poo poo.

Because, if they monitored Flynn from DOJ, they surely must have monitored Hitlery— and DOJ is not done with Hitlery. They had better indict the biotch and round up all of her muzzie brotherhood friends still around.

58 posted on 02/13/2017 8:38:07 PM PST by John S Mosby (Sic Semper Tyrannis)

quote:

Really a shame - and he got himself in a jam for no reason .

He had to do resign to protect the president and VP though.

The democrats have been after scalps and finally got one.
I’m afraid this won’t satisfy them though.
Most likely it will just whet their appetite and embolden them.

60 posted on 02/13/2017 8:39:35 PM PST by Iron Munro (If Illegals voted Rebublican 66 Million Democrats Would Be Screaming "Build The Wall!")

quote:

President Trump should appoint a replacement for Flynn who wears an I Love Russia shirt.

63 posted on 02/13/2017 8:40:58 PM PST by Architect of Paradise

quote:

Flynn lied to the VP about it; not a good move. His departure is best to avoid the further distraction.

65 posted on 02/13/2017 8:42:39 PM PST by ScottinVA ( Liberals' agony is my entertainment.)

quote:

This is too bad. Blood in the water. They will take this as encouragement. Flynn was very outspoken against Obama policies. I think the traitors were more afraid of him than anyone.

The bad actors are going to try to set Trump up in a similar manner. The news media has taken down an important advisor.

67 posted on 02/13/2017 8:43:37 PM PST by greeneyes

Oh Snap!

quote:

To: reasonisfaith

You’re wrong. If Trump accepts his resignation and keeps Russian sanctions then I’m convinced he is not in control of the government. Period

70 posted on 02/13/2017 8:44:26 PM PST by wiseprince
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

quote:

To: ScottinVA

Are you new? This will be the distraction and Trump won’t be able to change his foreign policy. He should 100% not accept this resignation! He is at risk of completely losing control of the government. It should be obvious. They won’t let him decide foreign policy. Open your eyes!

77 posted on 02/13/2017 8:48:02 PM PST by wiseprince
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 65 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Meet the New Boss

I know the hypocrisy just makes us all sick. I don’t what General Flynn said to the Russian ambassador, but this was a made for order conspiracy for the media. It’ll be all over the airwaves tomorrow and the Trump is controlled by Moscow narrative will be nonstop. The president has his work cut out for him. The media, the Democrats and a good many Republicans want their DC kingdom back and will do everything to destroy both Trump and Pence. Count on it!

79 posted on 02/13/2017 8:49:00 PM PST by dowcaet (uart)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

quote:

To: rfp1234

I agree, but too many people on our side still grip whenever they start blasting away on the president. The media is so transparent. They were in worship mode for the last eight years while one scandal after another swirled all The One and his administration. Now they’re going nonstop in their vitriol against Trump. We all knew this was gonna happen, but predictably even among our own ranks we have people already pushing the panic button!

85 posted on 02/13/2017 8:53:02 PM PST by dowcaet (uart)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 73 | View Replies]

quote:

To: wiseprince

accept the resignation? he undoubtedly asked for (if not outright demanded) the resignation in the first place. dude, srsly. I get that you're upset, but try to keep it together.

87 posted on 02/13/2017 8:54:22 PM PST by JohnBrowdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 77 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Meet the New Boss

I’ll believe that bit about blackmail, when they prove the golden showers about Trump. I think Flynn fell on his sword. The bad actors were in fear of Flynn, because he knew where to go digging for the buried bodies.

According to what I read was said, he really didn’t discuss the sanctions. When the ambassador brought it up, he referred him back to the President Elect’s statements, and asked them not to over react to Obama’s actions.

He did not make some sort of deal regarding lifting sanctions. So I don’t get how they can call it a lie, if he said he didn’t make a deal with the sanctions.

One of the commentators was critical of him, because he had an interview on RT and was in Russia for the interview.

93 posted on 02/13/2017 8:56:34 PM PST by greeneyes
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 49 | View Replies]

quote:

This is bad.

They left will be going after more. I hope this won't turn out like 1994 when they let the left force four of the most conservative representatives to resign and then President Bush Jr. and the Republicans Cowards never covered the backs of any of their people when they come under attack by these lower forms of life.

If President Trump doesn't cover the back of his people, the rest of his nominations, which should have already been in place, will be drug across an extended fresh round of coals.

If he's not careful they will be withdrawing their name and those in place will looking over their shoulder every time they make a decision to see if they are be fed to the wolves.

The longer he lets these degenerates hold up his picks the longer they have to digg into their lives.

Lets see who they go after next.
95 posted on 02/13/2017 8:57:28 PM PST by mississippi red-neck ( When A People and Their Leaders Turn Back on God. He Turns Their Mind Repobate.)

quote:

Deep State won. Trump and the outsiders lost. Big time. Deep State HAD to take out Flynn because he was inside the belly of the Deep State as head of DIA and knew their m.o. They fabricated and lied and pushed the narrative and won. Major loss for realists. So, first we have the federal judiciary control our immigration policy and we have Deep State controlling foreign policy and making the world safe for Davos.

102 posted on 02/13/2017 9:01:03 PM PST by AC Beach Patrol

I love how they just keep attaching random buzzwords to people they don't like.

quote:

To: Fhios

yeah. Pence has got to go, too. Miserable establishment GOPe RINO uniparty Kenyan stooge.

In fact, fire ‘em all. Start from scratch.

110 posted on 02/13/2017 9:05:06 PM PST by JohnBrowdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 100 | View Replies]

Why would they have to make things up when they've already got so much dirt on him?

quote:

Not only that, but they’ve armed the Russians with weapons to damage Trump.

What if Russia wanted to start making things up on what Trump / Russian connections are?

They’ve given Putin Carte Blanche to destabilize the Government.

111 posted on 02/13/2017 9:05:08 PM PST by Fhios

quote:

Fire them all. Nuke the Russians. Put the Democrats in camps.

That’s the perfect solution to one guy being forced to resign because he did something stupid.

116 posted on 02/13/2017 9:10:11 PM PST by JohnBrowdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 111 | View Replies]

quote:

To: tinamina
Nope. I think Trump fired him and told Flynn it will be characterized as a 'resignation'.

Now we'll see if the LEAK PROBLEM goes away along with him.
112 posted on 02/13/2017 9:06:18 PM PST by CivilWarBrewing (im)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

quote:

To: JohnBrowdie

I know! Hysterical panic is just not necessary. Sometimes ppl care too much what the opposition says, does, thinks— about our side.

We already know that answer. No need to start fretting about how hard they’re going to beat us with it.

They are BRUTAL. We know this. Dig in. Man your battle stations. Fire at will.

113 posted on 02/13/2017 9:06:49 PM PST by unsycophant
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 104 | View Replies]

:tinfoil:

quote:

To: Kenny

If he did it to stop the media feeding frenzy, he did it in vain then. Because it will not stop the media feeding frenzy, it will only increase it. Nothing that Donald can do, short of killing himself will satisfy the media. Their goal is to destroy the United States of America and usher in the One World Government. If they must to accomplish this import every diseased and healthy muslim into the United States of America, so be it. They will also eliminate every visage of Patriotism and Nationalism in the United States of America. We are in a fight for our lives and they are winning. Both Donald and Patriots are going to have to recognize the main stream media for what they are: The number one threat to the security and well being of the United States of America today. Since the media and the voters installed the muslim impostor in the White House, Themedia has done more damage to the United States than all foreign enemy Nations combined.

133 posted on 02/13/2017 9:21:06 PM PST by sport
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

quote:

In America, swamp drains you.

134 posted on 02/13/2017 9:21:29 PM PST by denydenydeny ("World History is not full of good governments, or of good voters either "--P.J. O'Rourke)

quote:

To: rdl6989; All

The coup is on, Flynn resigned.

Bannon, Kellyanne, and Miller next on the chopping block.

146 posted on 02/13/2017 9:33:59 PM PST by Enlightened1

quote:

To: MUDDOG

DOJ reminded the President LAST MONTH???

WASN’T THAT JUSTICE DEPT. A MONTH AGO UNDER CONTROL OF BHO AND LIBERALS?

REMEMBER WHO WAS ‘LYING LORETTA’ RUNNING IT????

THIS IS ALL PLANNED FOR THE DEMOCRATS AND LIBERALS...

TIME TO LOCK THEM OUT TOTALLY...
TIME FOR DOJ TO NOW GET REALLY BUSY ON GRANNY AND HUSSEIN...CLEAN THE SWAMP...

148 posted on 02/13/2017 9:36:20 PM PST by haircutter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

drat straight I'm not satisfied. I demand more swamp blood.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Duke Igthorn posted:

Well freeper, why am I enjoying mild temps with shitloads of rain in Michigan in February?

I'm surprised freep had the time to wipe the Trump/Putin cum off their chins to say anything

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 14, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What are 'beltway lies'? I thought the belt was good conservative land, or am I misunderstanding the reference?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

The beltway is the highway around Washington DC.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

quote:

yeah. Pence has got to go, too. Miserable establishment GOPe RINO uniparty Kenyan stooge.

Wait, Mike 'Electrocute the gays so that we can bring about the Rapture' Pence isn't right wing enough for Freep?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Helen Highwater posted:

Wait, Mike 'Electrocute the gays so that we can bring about the Rapture' Pence isn't right wing enough for Freep?

Nobody is right wing enough for Freep. The only correct answer to Freep is "more to the right." It is never, ever far enough.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nobody is right wing enough for Freep. The only correct answer to Freep is "more to the right." It is never, ever far enough.

Freep reminds me of an (apocryphal?) story about Ludwig von Mises I read many years ago. One day he wrote something so crazy that even his students/followers/colleagues/cultists started voicing opposition to it and he dismissed their concerns with "damned communists, the lot of them".

e: from wiki, I got the gist of it right

quote:

The story I remember best happened at the initial Mont Pelerin meeting when he got up and said, "You're all a bunch of socialists." We were discussing the distribution of income, and whether you should have progressive income taxes. Some of the people there were expressing the view that there could be a justification for it.

Another occasion which is equally telling: Fritz Machlup was a student of Mises's, one of his most faithful disciples. At one of the Mont Pelerin meetings, Machlup gave a talk in which I think he questioned the idea of a gold standard; he came out in favor of floating exchange rates. Mises was so mad he wouldn't speak to Machlup for three years. Some people had to come around and bring them together again. It's hard to understand; you can get some understanding of it by taking into account how people like Mises were persecuted in their lives.

:psyduck:

e2:

quote:

Mises was chief economist for the Austrian Chamber of Commerce and was an economic adviser of Engelbert Dollfuss, the austrofascist but strongly anti-Nazi Austrian Chancellor.[10] Later he was economic adviser to Otto von Habsburg, the Christian democratic politician and claimant to the throne of Austria (which had been legally abolished in 1918 following the Great War).[11] In 1934, Mises left Austria for Geneva, Switzerland, where he was a professor at the Graduate Institute of International Studies until 1940.
How can a single man endure so much persecution? :smithicide:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 14, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Helen Highwater posted:

Freep has hated Pence ever since he wimped out on implementing the Religious Freedom law when he was Governor of Indiana

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

myron cope posted:

I'm trying to work out what this one even means. Obama and Bush people to approve Trump's people?

The administration has some appointees from the Bush and Obama years (i.e. the ones who aren't just turned over when the president changes) so they're saying poor Trump is at the mercy of those people.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

The administration has some appointees from the Bush and Obama years (i.e. the ones who aren't just turned over when the president changes) so they're saying poor Trump is at the mercy of those people.

JUDGES

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Jagged Jim posted:

I love that they still think this is always the answer.

That's certainly how I run a hugely complex business business when I take over. Fire everyone and hire new people, it always works!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
This really gives a lot of ammuntion for Prester Jane's Authoritarian Compaction Cycle theory. We're witnessing it happen right now.

I think we've seen FReep compact before - especially in the primary Cruz vs Trump, but this one has a darker end in my opinion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jagged Jim posted:

Freep has hated Pence ever since he wimped out on implementing the Religious Freedom law when he was Governor of Indiana

Retreat is the only sin

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

I love that they still think this is always the answer.

That's certainly how I run a hugely complex business business when I take over. Fire everyone and hire new people, it always works!

Being experienced in politics is actually a bad thing, just like sex. It makes you a whore.

You want the people involved in government to be political virgins, not knowing whether they are any good, embarrassed fumbling, ejaculating in their underpants.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Freep: I don't know any of the details but I bet my side is right

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

robotsinmyhead posted:

This really gives a lot of ammuntion for Prester Jane's Authoritarian Compaction Cycle theory. We're witnessing it happen right now.

I think we've seen FReep compact before - especially in the primary Cruz vs Trump, but this one has a darker end in my opinion.
They've had purges of non-believers before, but the previous one over Romney wasn't nearly as bloody as the one over Trump.

Also, keep in mind that the compaction cycle is just one name given to the collection of behaviors seen over at freep. The cycle can be seen throughout human history anywhere that there are authoritarian tendencies, especially in religious groups. We just see it more often now thanks to the internet. Further reading:
  • Selective exposure theory - an effect of confirmation bias, where people tend to be drawn to information sources that confirm what they're thinking instead of those that challenge their beliefs. See also reinforcement theory.
  • Groupthink - the tendency of people to adapt their beliefs to the surrounding culture in order to ensure confirmity.
  • Group polarization & attitude polarization - what you get when you combine selective exposure theory, confirmation bias, & groupthink, and then introduce new information that's ambiguous enough to either reinforce or contradict a belief.
  • That leads us naturally to ingroups and outgroups, ingroup favoritism, and outgroup homogeneity, the effects that allow and reinforce the demonization of outsiders by grouping them together as a single unit. You might have seen this called "otherization" before.
  • The spiral of silence - the tendency of group members with views that are not shared by the group to keep that dissent to themselves in order to prevent conflict.
These are all natural human behaviors, and they're killing us. They're incredibly easy to hijack to turn one group against another.

Something you'll find missing in that list is authoritarianism. You don't have to have an authoritarian personality in order to fall into the groupthink trap. It just happens that communities with authoritarian leaders tend to fall into the trap easier. Also keep in mind that the conservative mindset naturally falls into authoritarianism, especially when there's an outgroup to fight against.

Let's also not fool ourselves. Freepers are part of our outgroup. We've otherized them. We've homogonized their behavior. We expect the worst from them, and these threads merely act to confirm our own biases as we selectively pick the worst possible things to feed upon. I'm fine with this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

McGlockenshire posted:

They've had purges of non-believers before, but the previous one over Romney wasn't nearly as bloody as the one over Trump.

Also, keep in mind that the compaction cycle is just one name given to the collection of behaviors seen over at freep. The cycle can be seen throughout human history anywhere that there are authoritarian tendencies, especially in religious groups. We just see it more often now thanks to the internet. Further reading:
  • Selective exposure theory - an effect of confirmation bias, where people tend to be drawn to information sources that confirm what they're thinking instead of those that challenge their beliefs. See also reinforcement theory.
  • Groupthink - the tendency of people to adapt their beliefs to the surrounding culture in order to ensure confirmity.
  • Group polarization & attitude polarization - what you get when you combine selective exposure theory, confirmation bias, & groupthink, and then introduce new information that's ambiguous enough to either reinforce or contradict a belief.
  • That leads us naturally to ingroups and outgroups, ingroup favoritism, and outgroup homogeneity, the effects that allow and reinforce the demonization of outsiders by grouping them together as a single unit. You might have seen this called "otherization" before.
  • The spiral of silence - the tendency of group members with views that are not shared by the group to keep that dissent to themselves in order to prevent conflict.
These are all natural human behaviors, and they're killing us. They're incredibly easy to hijack to turn one group against another.

Something you'll find missing in that list is authoritarianism. You don't have to have an authoritarian personality in order to fall into the groupthink trap. It just happens that communities with authoritarian leaders tend to fall into the trap easier. Also keep in mind that the conservative mindset naturally falls into authoritarianism, especially when there's an outgroup to fight against.

Let's also not fool ourselves. Freepers are part of our outgroup. We've otherized them. We've homogonized their behavior. We expect the worst from them, and these threads merely act to confirm our own biases as we selectively pick the worst possible things to feed upon. I'm fine with this.

Shut up, nerd, and give me more things to rage against. I only got one hour before I need to return to my bleak, meaningless existence so let me hate something so that I can actually know what passion feels like.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Covok posted:

Shut up, nerd, and give me more things to rage against. I only got one hour before I need to return to my bleak, meaningless existence so let me hate something so that I can actually know what passion feels like.

Have you considered becoming a fan of Star Citizen?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Have you considered becoming a fan of Star Citizen?

I was being facetious and trying to make connections to that thing from 1984...but, yes, I've followed the Derke Smart subforum from time-to-time to marvel at that scam.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGlockenshire posted:

I don't think we're as bad as it sounds. After all, we've all acknowledged that they can be human, and even have sympathy in some cases. We're definitely not a closed echo chamber on it, it's just that they're generally so horrible what else can be said but they're horrible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

I was being facetious and trying to make connections to that thing from 1984
Freepers do like Reagan.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Freepers do like Reagan.

Except when the amnesty gets brought up, then they sometimes admit it was the one thing he did wrong.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guavanaut posted:

Freepers do like Reagan.

They like the fantasy Reagan they remember.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

robotsinmyhead posted:

I doubt it. Freep will continue on for as long as Jim Rob can bilk however few idiots survive the purges for "server maintenance."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Duke Igthorn posted:

Freep: I don't know any of the details but I know my side is right

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Guavanaut posted:

Freepers do like Reagan.

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

Replace constitution with reagan and you've got their opinion on him. They remember that he was perfect in every way and think that Trump is his next in line (a position previously held by Cruz, Santorum, Gingrich, Ryan, Palin, etc)

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Covok posted:

Shut up, nerd, and give me more things to rage against.
Fine, fine, I suppose.

From CNN - Trump aides were in constant touch with senior Russian officials during campaign posted by freeper tcflaf with keywords: cnn; coup; fakenews; fakestreammedia; fisa; jakenews; media; msm; russia; sedition; trump

This is a huge step beyond the rumors we had this summer, and a step beyond the vague accusations we'd seen earlier. Both the New York Times and CNN have their own independent versions of this story. In both stories, current and former people with insider knowledge confirm that they have taped calls of Trump campaign officials, including Manafort, talking with Russian intelligence agents. CNN further alleges that they have the names of other campaign officials, but they are not yet naming them.

The narrative being spread from the White House has been ignoring the substance of the leaks and focusing on how bad leaks are, and Fox News has been going along. Let's see if freep keeps that poo poo up.

quote:

HOW does CNN know this?? More FISA Warrant violations?

As a talking head said on Bloomberg today, "The goal is to REMOVE TRUMP. Failing that, to change the way he is running things..."

THE COUP HAS STARTED.

1 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:16:24 PM by tcrlaf

Polygraphs are poo poo.

quote:

To: tcrlaf

Polygraph tests for everyone in National Security who would have access to that information. EVERYONE.

2 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:19:21 PM by vladimir998 (Apparently I'm still living in your head rent free. At least now it isn't empty.)

:freep: GLOBALISTS :freep:

quote:

I hope the anti Globalist don’t cower if they succeed. That should mark the beginning of another civil war

4 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:19:44 PM by wiseprince

Yes, because Russia is still run by those reds

quote:

Let them talk. Trump is no Commie.

5 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:19:57 PM by ConservativeMind ("Humane" = "Don't pen up pets or eat meat, but allow infanticides, abortion, and euthanasia.")

quote:

“The communications were intercepted during routine intelligence collection targeting Russian officials and other Russian nationals known to US intelligence”

Bullshit. Funny how Hillary was never intercepted. The intelligence community including the FBI was targeting Trump personnel.

11 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:25:54 PM by DesertRhino

quote:

To: DesertRhino

Right, you gonna tell me Hilary wasn’t communicating with the Mexicans and Europeans attacking Trump? I know EXACTLY who decided the election and I see him in the mirror every morning.

19 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:31:02 PM by Williams (Stop tolerating the intolerant.)

quote:

One thing after another. Nice to read in the article that the other guy (not Flynn) denies completely that he knowingly talked to Russian operatives. At this point, I’d expect that he knows the conversations are all recorded and there is no point in lying, so I take some solace. Weird though, this constant drip of information about Russia and the election. Who cares? Hillary lost. Trump won. Russia was not even a 1% concern. Dems campaigned on it, and have not stopped campaigning on it. It’s so ironic, the Dems used to just absolutely love the Russians. What’s changed?

21 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:32:09 PM by Tennessean4Bush (An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist fears this is true.)

In case you hadn't picked up on the recurring theme,

quote:

This is really scary. Sounds like Obama and his JustUs department have been spying on Trump and now they’re leaking the stuff through the CIA. It is totally a coup attempt.

29 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:39:50 PM by Mercat (Men never do evil so fully and cheerfully as when they do it out of conscience.” (Blaise Pascal))

quote:

Where’s the twisted SOB in Washington doing dirty work for us? We have to go on offense right away!

They aren’t the only ones who can plant stories and leak phone call information.

Wasn’t McCain calling the Australian amb a violation of the Logan act since that has come up recently? Do we have the phone call recorded too? Perhaps that can be leaked and an investigation can be opened into this. Maybe this should be reviewed by the ethics committee.

Where’s our auditor going over the financials of the recently closed DEM campaigns, you can ALWAYS find a scandal in financial documents.

We have to take off the gloves and get really dirty to win this battle, sad to say.

Chasing the leakers is vital, but don’t forget it reminds everyone we are responding to the Flynn deal now. The leaks came earlier, had we gone after it publicly earlier that would have been better. But the first 3 people that have a hint of anything need to be charged with 40 counts of everything from Treason to you name it. Make an example of a few govt employees to put the fear of God in the rest, that will make people talk to save their asses.

We need to introduce a new serious scandal on the democrats. Perhaps now would be a time to appoint a prosecutor to determine the details of Bengazi and how that might be related to the Russian involvement in our elections.
Perhaps some revelations about how the US Government under the prior administration was illegally providing weapons to ISIS and Sen McCain was aiding in this process.

32 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:43:25 PM by RightInTheMain

Imagine this post from freep three months ago.

quote:

Stay on your toes. The time to lock and load is coming our way quickly. It’s time for Americans to defend their government.

39 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:03:46 PM by FlingWingFlyer (As long as tyranny exists, the Constitution and Bill of Right will never be "outdated" or "obsolete")

TIL that there are moderators on twitter and that twitter has a left wing bias.

quote:

To: ilovesarah2012

The #FakeStreamMedia is getting their solid 30-35% of the populace stirred up to go for the coup.

You should see them on Twitter chattering angry monkey chatter and angrily flinging monkey poo in every direction.

The trouble with Twitter is that it's a Left-Wing/FakeStreamMedia Safe Space, and they don't understand that normal folk aren't brain-damaged like they are, because the lefty Twitter mods protect them from all that.

47 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:14:53 PM by kiryandil (Will Hillary's BrownShirt Media thugs demand that The Deplorables all wear six-pointed Orange Stars?)

quote:

Tried posting a comment on a Yahoo News story several times today. “This is the alt-left using Alinsky tactics to implement a silent coup to overturn the election to make rule by the left permanent”. The censors wouldn’t let the comment thru.

49 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:18:30 PM by Fu-fu2

quote:

The danger is not proving the Trump administration did anything illegal...They don’t have any proof...The danger is the mass media and the View and late night talk shows controlling public opinion to make the liberals think the Trump administration is guilty...

I’d say the goal is a massive public and bloody uprising between the American people...

55 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:46:15 PM by Iscool

:psyduck: How about the joint press release from the intelligence community on October 7? You know, the intelligence community under the goddamn executive branch!?

quote:

Seriously, if Obama had been “briefed” as CNN claims, do you think he would sit on that information during the election? Puh-leeze.

58 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:47:27 PM by cincinnati65

I might have to start doing deep dives again if freep is really starting to have doubts. Considering that there were a whopping two threads on Flynn this weekend...

quote:

How many fu*king times is this left-wing sh*t going to be posted on FR today? Any other stories in duplicate are dutifully pulled by the Mods. This sh*t is allowed to be posted non-stop!

I might as well go to HuffPo, or some other Left-wing news site!

The continual posting of this story is already causing many FReepers to go full pearl clutcher already.

Once again, conservatives are accepting the Left-wing meme.

Self fulfilling prophesy up close and personal here at FreeRepublic. All this place does is depress me anymore.

60 posted on 2/14/2017, 10:04:24 PM by Artcore (Donald J. Trump - 45th President of the United States of America!)

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
thats the good poo poo right there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Scary part is, I hope Trump doesn't get impeached. President Mike Pence scares me a heck of a lot more than President Trump.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Scary part is, I hope Trump doesn't get impeached. President Mike Pence scares me a heck of a lot more than President Trump.

I've seen this sentiment repeated often but not being an American and not having followed the elections that close I must have missed something. What's up with Pence? Does he openly wear a swastika or something?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

I've seen this sentiment repeated often but not being an American and not having followed the elections that close I must have missed something. What's up with Pence? Does he openly wear a swastika or something?

Pence is a super religious conservative, and from what I can tell is an actual competent politician.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
He's a hardcore Dominionist who thinks that evolution is a hoax, tobacco companies do nothing wrong and that electrocuting gays is good for them. Add on top of that, the usual hard-core Republican views on deregulating everything, discriminating against LGBTQ and brown people turned up to 11. President Pence would be an Evangelical wet-dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pence doesn't have a worm tongue that wants to start a race war