Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Poland's current government is a huge embarrassment and it barely counts as being better than soviet domination because the EU is still constraining what PiS can get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Runaktla posted:

I'd be skeptical of this supposed unanimous vote.

I think Euromaiden was a popular uprising to get out of Russia's influence. I don't think Crimea residents would have a different opinion. But both sides' media are slanted and you never know what the truth is.

Uh well that's very silly of you. That's like saying an anti trump protest would go down the same in the deep south as it would in portland. The referendum definitly vote was almost certainly not what was reported but it definitely had strong majority support-- there's basically no evidence to the contrary.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Cat Mattress posted:

Poland's current government is a huge embarrassment and it barely counts as being better than soviet domination because the EU is still constraining what PiS can get away with.
Yeah, the current government is poo poo, but it is still better off than Ukraine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Runaktla posted:

I'd be skeptical of this supposed unanimous vote.

I think Euromaiden was a popular uprising to get out of Russia's influence. I don't think Crimea residents would have a different opinion.

I wasn't at the actual polls that day, but everyone in my family voted for it. I know that isn't some kind of official thing, but Crimea has a lot of Russians, and the tartars that have returned to the area are a minority. Hell, my older family members were born in Crimea when it was still a part of Russia and were mad when it got handed to Ukraine.

In the beginning I was all pissed about it and telling them that life sucks without gas/power/food/etc. But now it seems to be taken care of somehow (are underwater powerlines a real thing?).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Tonight in American evening news Rachel Maddow started her show talking about Alexei Navalny, and explaining this is how things work in Putin's Russia. Now she's talking about Michael Flynn, the former NSA who admitted he's been in collusion with the Russians all along.

Welp.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/831689214752354308

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Tonight in American evening news Rachel Maddow started her show talking about Alexei Navalny, and explaining this is how things work in Putin's Russia. Now she's talking about Michael Flynn, the former NSA who admitted he's been in collusion with the Russians all along.

Welp.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/831689214752354308
Hoo boy what happens now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grouchio posted:

Hoo boy what happens now?

Nothing, because the right wing got their guy in so it doesn't matter how, and the left will blame clinton for not being left enough and say Putin is just a distraction from the real reasons she lost and like how can russia interfere with an election anyways it was all racists actually, or are straight up RT readers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

The referendum was not before the forces moved in, because guess who organized it? Also opponents of Russia, and especially the Tatars, boycotted that referendum so obviously if only the people who are for are voting, then the results will be near unanimous. Finally if you were to try to organize such a referendum in Russia itself, like say for Kamchatka's independence or whatever, you'd end up overdosing on Polonium in a jail cell.

Don't forget "international observation of the election" counts if you bring in your own international observers from right-wing opposition parties that you have also bankrolled.

Baronjutter posted:

Nothing, because the right wing got their guy in so it doesn't matter how, and the left will blame clinton for not being left enough and say Putin is just a distraction from the real reasons she lost and like how can russia interfere with an election anyways it was all racists actually, or are straight up RT readers.

Meanwhile, the intelligence community continues to "coup" the administration by both leaking information to the press and pursuing investigations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Uh well that's very silly of you. That's like saying an anti trump protest would go down the same in the deep south as it would in portland. The referendum definitly vote was almost certainly not what was reported but it definitely had strong majority support-- there's basically no evidence to the contrary.
Russian state authorities reported on referendum some laughable actual figures, like 30% attendance and negligible majority even at that, if I remember correctly.

E:

spacetoaster posted:

I wasn't at the actual polls that day, but everyone in my family voted for it. I know that isn't some kind of official thing, but Crimea has a lot of Russians, and the tartars that have returned to the area are a minority. Hell, my older family members were born in Crimea when it was still a part of Russia and were mad when it got handed to Ukraine.

In the beginning I was all pissed about it and telling them that life sucks without gas/power/food/etc. But now it seems to be taken care of somehow (are underwater powerlines a real thing?).
I'm glad your ancient relatives are conservative pieces of poo poo and oppressing minorities because they are such is cool.

And yes, Russian finished building building 4 underwater power lines across the Kerch strait early last year.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 15, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

They voted almost unanimously in favor of joinin Russia in a referendum right before forces moved in, so I don't know why this 'violated international borders and sovereignty' thing was such a big deal when a province wanted to leave the Ukraine to join Russia. I don't get it.

First, the referendum was a farce.
Second, the current regime discriminates against minorities such as the Tartars and people who were Ukrainian loyalists.
Third, "resolving" self-determination issues with a military invasion by a hostile country that completely disregards the constitutional order of the target country and international law, never even attempting a peaceful transition, must never become acceptable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

The right wing fundamentally and objectively didn't get their guys the positions they wanted, and they are going to fight to dismantle Trump's core team. Flynn has already been successfully pressured to resign.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

spacetoaster posted:

Do you think the people in Crimea didn't want to be with Russia back when it happened?

Grouchio posted:

They voted almost unanimously in favor of joining Russia in a referendum right before forces moved in, so I don't know why this 'violated international borders and sovereignty' thing was such a big deal when a province wanted to leave the Ukraine to join Russia. I don't get it.
I distinctly remember reading on some Russian government site (some sort of Kremlin human rights council or some such) that roughly 60% voted in favor of joining Russia but because many abstained from the vote, only 15% of the population voted in favor. This rather contradicts the 97% or whatever numbers Russia has more publicly thrown about.

I wish I had the source, if it still exists. It may have been in Russian so it's difficult to find for me.

e: The Presidential Council for Civil Society and Human Rights, I'm pretty sure. Anyone able to find it?

e2: Found it! http://old.president-sovet.ru/structure/gruppa_po_migratsionnoy_politike/materialy/problemy_zhiteley_kryma.php
I believe the domain is legitimate since the Kremlin's website links to president-sovet.ru for the human rights council. All I can get from this is a Google translation, though.
"Referendum: According to almost all respondents experts and citizens: - the vast majority of the inhabitants of Sevastopol voted in a referendum for annexation to Russia (50-80% turnout), in the Crimea, according to various sources for Russia's accession to 50-60% of the electorate voted for a total turnout of 30 -50 %; - Inhabitants of Crimea voted not so much for joining Russia, but for the termination, in their words, "corruption and lawlessness thieves dominance Donetsk henchmen." Residents of Sevastopol vote for joining Russia. Fears illegal armed groups in Sevastopol were higher than in other regions of the Crimea."

Any Russian speakers around to interpret that and the context to see if it actually means what I think it means?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 15, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If you want to see an American intervention into Donbass, just answer "Yes".

Anyone who thought Clinton was itching for WW3 didn't know Trump.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elukka posted:

I distinctly remember reading on some Russian government site (some sort of Kremlin human rights council or some such) that roughly 60% voted in favor of joining Russia but because many abstained from the vote, only 15% of the population voted in favor. This rather contradicts the 97% or whatever numbers Russia has more publicly thrown about.

I wish I had the source, if it still exists. It may have been in Russian so it's difficult to find for me.

e: The Presidential Council for Civil Society and Human Rights, I'm pretty sure. Anyone able to find it?
Yeah that was what I mentioned several posts earlier. The material is now here.

quote:

По мнению практически всех опрошенных специалистов и граждан:
- подавляющее большинство жителей Севастополя проголосовали на референдуме за присоединение к России (явка 50-80 %), в Крыму по разным данным за присоединение к России проголосовали 50-60 % избирателей при общей явке в 30-50 %;
- жители Крыма голосовали не столько за присоединение к России, сколько за прекращение, по их словам, «коррупционного беспредела и воровского засилья донецких ставленников». Жители же Севастополя голосовали именно за присоединение к России. Опасения перед незаконными вооруженными формированиями в Севастополе были больше, чем в других районах Крыма.
Here's a freehand translation:

"According to almost every single one of the interviewed experts and citizens:
- absolute majority of Sevastopol's inhabitants voted for joining Russia (turnout of 50-80%), in Crimea 50-60% of electors voted for joining Russia with the overall turnout of 30-50%;
- inhabitants of Crimea voted for elimination of "corrupt lawlessness of Donetsk-aligned thieves-in-law", rather than to join Russia. Inhabitants of Sevastopol, however, voted specifically to join Russian. In Sevastopol the fear of illegal armed groups was greater than in other districts of Crimea."

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
One more thing I've heard a handful of times in those three years are claims of genocide that was supposedly taking place in eastern Ukraine, committed by the western gay homonazijunta so that's why the "civil war" began. :rolleyes:

And the source: Russian channels. And because it loving worked, I conclude that Russian channels can say anything and their public will buy it unconditionally.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

One more thing I've heard a handful of times in those three years are claims of genocide that was supposedly taking place in eastern Ukraine, committed by the western gay homonazijunta so that's why the "civil war" began. :rolleyes:

And the source: Russian channels. And because it loving worked, I conclude that Russian channels can say anything and their public will buy it unconditionally.
Nah, Russian public will not buy anything unconditionally, even from the president. They just have a nation-wide inferiority complex and an acute sense of persecution. That is what makes the computer-illiterate portion of population easily gullible to all the "western Ukrainian Nazis trained by NATO instructors in Polish military bases are crucifying and burning alive Russian speaking children in Donbass" bollocks that were churned out ad nauseum during the peak of the conflict.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 15, 2017

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Those snipers in Kiev probably set the background for it though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

Those snipers in Kiev probably set the background for it though.
I don't think Russian populace en-masse was all that touched with never-named snipers killing off perceived collaborators.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

First, the referendum was a farce.
Second, the current regime discriminates against minorities such as the Tartars and people who were Ukrainian loyalists.
Third, "resolving" self-determination issues with a military invasion by a hostile country that completely disregards the constitutional order of the target country and international law, never even attempting a peaceful transition, must never become acceptable.

As I recall, the referendum took place quite a while after occupation, with the stage set like this:

(ON May 16th we make a choice: homonazis/russia)

The surveys done before the whole mess showed that not even a majority wanted to switch, let alone unilaterally. I can't really blame anyone vote for under the circumstances, it was just never a legitimate referendum.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

As I recall, the referendum took place quite a while after occupation, with the stage set like this:

(ON May 16th we make a choice: homonazis/russia)

The surveys done before the whole mess showed that not even a majority wanted to switch, let alone unilaterally. I can't really blame anyone vote for under the circumstances, it was just never a legitimate referendum.
The timeline there was a bit more than 3 weeks for the entire process. Slightly more than two weeks between the "green men" and "referendum".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

If you want to see an American intervention into Donbass, just answer "Yes".

Anyone who thought Clinton was itching for WW3 didn't know Trump.

Trump doesn't seem to know whether he wants to blow Putin or shoot Putin, which is terrifying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Trump doesn't seem to know whether he wants to blow Putin or shoot Putin, which is terrifying.
I hope it's just a carrot and stick approach of those that manipulate him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trump, why u gotta be so tsundere

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Trump, why u gotta be so tsundere

Gosh the Japanese really do have a word for everything don't they

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm glad your ancient relatives are conservative pieces of poo poo and oppressing minorities because they are such is cool.

lol

cinci zoo sniper posted:

And yes, Russian finished building building 4 underwater power lines across the Kerch strait early last year.

That's pretty cool.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ProfJeffJarviss/status/831885732654546944

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Some good news, despite all the propaganda, most of EE countries still see NATO as a protection and not as a threat...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/203819/nato-members-eastern-europe-protection.aspx
http://www.rferl.org/a/nato-in-eastern-europe/28309316.html
Bad news, Ukrainians are sour on NATO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can't wait for Trump and Kadyrov duke it out over the top dog of Instagram position.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The anniversary of Estonia's independence is approaching, and predictably the same old bunch comes out of the woodwork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tPk0ydEOW8

Oh, my! A party promising glorious awakening and ascendancy of the nation. That does not sound familiar at all. And they even straightened out the swastika. As an added bonus, the nazi hunter Efraim Zuroff and his Russian media cohorts will be present as usual, ready to tell the world about this.

It was ironic that one neckbeard who is a member of that party was fired from his job as a teacher and now claims discrimination because of his views. Not only did he preach against LGBT rights and all the usual stuff one would expect in his classes, the students wrote that he was universally considered a creep. In his opinion piece in a newspaper he claimed to be married and father of two. Which was actually a lie.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Happy Independence Day, Lithuania :toot:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Igor Strelkov is explaining that the assassination campaign of Novorossian warlords is not due to Ukraine's loyalist forces (except for Motorola). I mean it's obvious to everyone and it should be especially obvious to someone who, like him, had to leave his prosperous warlording campaign thanks to Russian pressure; but he's out there stating it plainly. source: Le Monde (in French, paywalled)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, well, well.
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/832946413285806080

Surkov sure keeps a "fine" company, complete with the kolovorot armband.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
What's up in Belarus this weekend? According to Twitter, there's some meetings and gatherings in the larger cities and from a quick skim of the tweets I've seen, it seems like peaceful anti-government protests. Not huge, but still interesting.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The economy in Belarus is tanking, and Lukashenko some time ago signed a decree that "parasites" or unemployed people would have a to pay a fine for being unemployed. The demonstrations are mostly based on this decree.

Charter 97 is an anti-Lukashenko blog that has pictures and video.

https://charter97.org/be/news/2017/2/19/241377/

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/829767047198408704

Coverage by Nasha Niva:

http://nn.by/

Here's an English language source.

http://belsat.eu/en/

State-friendly media sources don't mention this of course.

http://www.belta.by/

Here is a photographer's Livejournal blog who took pictures of the protest in Minsk.

http://bortnikau.livejournal.com/124473.html#cutid1

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 19, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any updates on the protests in Romania this week?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat, that's a lot of parasites, good for them!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

poo poo's going to blow up in Belarus, isn't it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those "parasites" are clearly the Russian minority being discriminated against by the evil... ugh Belorussians?

Anyway, dear father Putin will send troops help to put a stop to that :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Young Freud posted:

poo poo's going to blow up in Belarus, isn't it?

No.