Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Helen Highwater posted:

He's a hardcore Dominionist who thinks that evolution is a hoax, tobacco companies do nothing wrong and that electrocuting gays is good for them. Add on top of that, the usual hard-core Republican views on deregulating everything, discriminating against LGBTQ and brown people turned up to 11. President Pence would be an Evangelical wet-dream.

Yea, but he's not a walking constitutional crisis. Pence is a terrible person, but I think America (and the world) will survive him at the wheel. Trump I'm honestly not so sure, since he seems he'll bent on dismantling our core institutions, and threatening what global stability there is on a regular basis.

To continue the metaphor, pence will go in the wrong direction and bang up the car, trump is throttling us off a cliff.

My only worry is that the left will get complacent when and if trump is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Helen Highwater posted:

He's a hardcore Dominionist who thinks that evolution is a hoax, tobacco companies do nothing wrong and that electrocuting gays is good for them. Add on top of that, the usual hard-core Republican views on deregulating everything, discriminating against LGBTQ and brown people turned up to 11. President Pence would be an Evangelical wet-dream.

It's kind of a no-win situation as I see it. Either you have President Trump being abjectly incompetent, easily distracted and diplomatically perilous, or you have President Pence taking direct aim at science and non-white-male rights. Either way is gonna suck for a lot of people, with a lot of crossover in that venn diagram.

Personally, I think that as bad as President Pence might be, it's better than President Trump. It's not like having Trump on top is saving Pence's potential targets all that much, it would likely give the real loose-cannons like Bannon less influence (if not defuse a couple entirely), probably fixes the worst of the top-level security risks, and stops all Presidential statements and international discussions from being total garbage fires solely because of the person speaking. I really don't want President Pence either--in the past I've described that as the worst-case scenario for LGBT people internationally--but after the last month I'd welcome a reprieve from total lunacy and incompetency.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Pence is more capable than Trump, for better and for worse. Whatever Trump is doing is stupid and dumb, but he's not a very effective leader and is bumbling about a bit. Pence knows what he's doing. He's also an ur-Republican with a penchant for rolling back LBGTQ protections and doing other really regressive red meat kinda stuff.

If he got the top seat, he'd likely do some damage to the progress that's been made in the last 8 years.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

McGlockenshire posted:

quote:

To: tcrlaf

Stay on your toes. The time to lock and load is coming our way quickly. It’s time for Americans to defend their government.

39 posted on 2/14/2017, 9:03:46 PM by FlingWingFlyer (As long as tyranny exists, the Constitution and Bill of Right will never be "outdated" or "obsolete")

Jesus gently caress dude, I've been in actual automotive collisions that gave me less whiplash than that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea, but he's not a walking constitutional crisis. Pence is a terrible person, but I think America (and the world) will survive him at the wheel. Trump I'm honestly not so sure, since he seems he'll bent on dismantling our core institutions, and threatening what global stability there is on a regular basis.

To continue the metaphor, pence will go in the wrong direction and bang up the car, trump is throttling us off a cliff.

My only worry is that the left will get complacent when and if trump is gone.

Not American here, so grain of salt and all that, but: Pence really appears to make a worse president for the US. He would do all the reprehensible poo poo that Trump does( even worse against LGBT and immigrants, probably), but without the agressive, inane bluster that gets the population fired up against the Trump administration.

E:f,b

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
If Trump goes down, Pence is going down too, sooner or later. All hail President Ryan! (and goodbye to healthcare)

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Eventually it will just be President DeVos leading the survivors to safety.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Pence won't get us into a shooting war over some dumb tweet at 4am. Trump I'm not so sure.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Georgia Peach posted:

So say we all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tias posted:

Not American here, so grain of salt and all that, but: Pence really appears to make a worse president for the US. He would do all the reprehensible poo poo that Trump does( even worse against LGBT and immigrants, probably), but without the agressive, inane bluster that gets the population fired up against the Trump administration.

E:f,b

He wouldn't get the population as fired up, but he also wouldn't get the world as fired up about him. Trump's a walking security risk with blatant connections to Russia who ruins decades of diplomatic relations with impulsive tweets and phone calls, the kind of idiot who would start a war entirely by accident because he doesn't even know what he is and isn't allowed to say or do.

The worst things Pence wants would either be ones that Trump and the alt-right people in his administration are trying to push anyways or impossible for Pence to realistically push through (for example, he can't cancel gay marriage because you can't just overturn a Supreme Court ruling). Pence would at least settle things down.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

How disconnected from his own campaign was Pence, if it's not assumed he's going to get poo poo for this too?

Also we don't lose health care any faster under president Ryan than with him actually writing the bills.

I think impeachment would be an electoral disaster for the GOP, so I welcome it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGlockenshire posted:

To: tcrlaf

This is really scary. Sounds like Obama and his JustUs department have been spying on Trump and now they’re leaking the stuff through the CIA. It is totally a coup attempt.

29 posted on 2/14/2017, 8:39:50 PM by Mercat (Men never do evil so fully and cheerfully as when they do it out of conscience.” (Blaise Pascal))

As always freep completely misses the point
For them it's not that this poo poo happens and all the shady poo poo and backdoor espionage that should be making them wary, even distrusting of the tangerine, but that people are leaking it and they should be dealt with.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cleretic posted:

It's kind of a no-win situation as I see it. Either you have President Trump being abjectly incompetent, easily distracted and diplomatically perilous, or you have President Pence taking direct aim at science and non-white-male rights. Either way is gonna suck for a lot of people, with a lot of crossover in that venn diagram.

Personally, I think that as bad as President Pence might be, it's better than President Trump. It's not like having Trump on top is saving Pence's potential targets all that much, it would likely give the real loose-cannons like Bannon less influence (if not defuse a couple entirely), probably fixes the worst of the top-level security risks, and stops all Presidential statements and international discussions from being total garbage fires solely because of the person speaking. I really don't want President Pence either--in the past I've described that as the worst-case scenario for LGBT people internationally--but after the last month I'd welcome a reprieve from total lunacy and incompetency.

Not to mention it would send Trump into rage mode and possible destroying twitter's servers given the floodgate of tweets he'd unleash when he realizes he is a loser and the world does hate him. I'm sure that the last round of the Trump brand devaluing is eating away at his inners as is

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SocketWrench posted:

As always freep completely misses the point
For them it's not that this poo poo happens and all the shady poo poo and backdoor espionage that should be making them wary, even distrusting of the tangerine, but that people are leaking it and they should be dealt with.

It depends on who is doing it. You know if it came to light that Obama aides were talking to foreign powers during an election they'd be up in arms. Trump? Oh someone's sabotaging trump how awful.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It warms my heart to know that even though they won the election, freepers are just as angry and terrified as ever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

It warms my heart to know that even though they won the election, freepers are just as angry and terrified as ever.

It's all they know.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
President Trump invites so much scrutiny, he's easy to rally against, President Pence would be business as usual and give the easy rebuttal of "we got rid of Trump, what more do you want??" for all the Trumpgretters who might, potentially, vote against Trump in 2020 (or, at least, not show up). As bad as Trump is he was never worst case scenario, he's easier to stymie, easier to watch, and harder to defend. He's also easier to dismiss as an imbecile (I doubt the world is judging us based on Trump whereas Pence is a real politician). To steal a frequent metaphor from the politoons thread: Trump is a chainsaw and Pence is a scalpel: if you went in for surgery and the surgeon picked up a chainsaw most people would back you if you started shouting about it. However, if a surgeon picked up a scalpel you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to listen to you even though he leaned down and whispered "I'm going to cut your heart out instead of your appendix" so only you can hear.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Their cold, black hearts don't allow any other emotions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It says a lot about how pathetic the Right Wing is that they can win literally everything, but still be terrified. Talk about snowflakes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duke Igthorn posted:

President Trump invites so much scrutiny, he's easy to rally against, President Pence would be business as usual and give the easy rebuttal of "we got rid of Trump, what more do you want??" for all the Trumpgretters who might, potentially, vote against Trump in 2020 (or, at least, not show up). As bad as Trump is he was never worst case scenario, he's easier to stymie, easier to watch, and harder to defend. He's also easier to dismiss as an imbecile (I doubt the world is judging us based on Trump whereas Pence is a real politician). To steal a frequent metaphor from the politoons thread: Trump is a chainsaw and Pence is a scalpel: if you went in for surgery and the surgeon picked up a chainsaw most people would back you if you started shouting about it. However, if a surgeon picked up a scalpel you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to listen to you even though he leaned down and whispered "I'm going to cut your heart out instead of your appendix" so only you can hear.

The problem with your surgeon analogy is that Trump is standing a pretty good chance of swinging his chainsaw wildly around the operating table, destroying everything around him, because he doesn't know how to use a chainsaw either.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The idea of Trump somehow being better than Pence will continue to baffle me as long as Trump keeps letting loving neo-nazis hiss into his ear

Trump had that chainsaw during the election, we screamed about it, and there were still enough people going "hmmm, I wanna see where he's going with this" that he was elected president. Freep will happily give Trump the chainsaw and a blowjob as long as the person on the operating table is brown

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If Trump gets ousted the Trumpgrets people just make a stabbed in the back myth. Trump wanted to do the things they made up that he promised, but those drat rinos! And when he kept resisting having his arm twisted Pence staged a coup.

Why would they choose the easier interpretation when that means they're a loving idiot that got bamboozled

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

The problem with your surgeon analogy is that Trump is standing a pretty good chance of swinging his chainsaw wildly around the operating table, destroying everything around him, because he doesn't know how to use a chainsaw either.
The point is that the damage Trump could potentially do is visible to everyone, even the people on his side won't let him swing the chainsaw at the lamp because it will damage it! Meanwhile Pence would carefully peal back the rubber sheath, carefully cut out a section of the copper wire, and the people will stand back and say "Why you can't even see the cut! It can't be that bad!"

Nihilarian posted:

The idea of Trump somehow being better than Pence will continue to baffle me as long as Trump keeps letting loving neo-nazis hiss into his ear

Trump had that chainsaw during the election, we screamed about it, and there were still enough people going "hmmm, I wanna see where he's going with this" that he was elected president. Freep will happily give Trump the chainsaw and a blowjob as long as the person on the operating table is brown
Right. Because no other Republicans will have Nazis in their ear. Pence thinks you can shock the gay out of a person and that minorities shouldn't get a vote but at least he's not a Nazi!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If Trump gets ousted the Trumpgrets people just make a stabbed in the back myth. Trump wanted to do the things they made up that he promised, but those drat rinos! And when he kept resisting having his arm twisted Pence staged a coup.

Why would they choose the easier interpretation when that means they're a loving idiot that got bamboozled
Trumpgrets aren't hardcore Trump fans, it's why they're having Trump regrets. They're already turning on him, why would they suddenly rally behind him?

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The point I was making was not "Pence is not as bad" it was "stop pretending Trump is going to be better"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wanting to keep Trump around to make the next election easier is just another form of accelerationism.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Duke Igthorn posted:

The point is that the damage Trump could potentially do is visible to everyone, even the people on his side won't let him swing the chainsaw at the lamp because it will damage it! Meanwhile Pence would carefully peal back the rubber sheath, carefully cut out a section of the copper wire, and the people will stand back and say "Why you can't even see the cut! It can't be that bad!"

Right. Because no other Republicans will have Nazis in their ear. Pence thinks you can shock the gay out of a person and that minorities shouldn't get a vote but at least he's not a Nazi!

Trumpgrets aren't hardcore Trump fans, it's why they're having Trump regrets. They're already turning on him, why would they suddenly rally behind him?

No one's arguing that Republicans including Mike Pence are good, but really if we're looking at President Pence versus President Bannon I'd still take the former. Also if Trump really did get impeached he would definitely go to war with the GOP and there are quite a few of his supporters who would go along with it which would only mean damage to the party. Which is a good thing. There's also pretty good reason to believe that Mike Pence doing the same things Trump did without the reality TV businessman persona would not get the the base as excited.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsheim posted:

No one's arguing that Republicans including Mike Pence are good, but really if we're looking at President Pence versus President Bannon I'd still take the former. Also if Trump really did get impeached he would definitely go to war with the GOP and there are quite a few of his supporters who would go along with it which would only mean damage to the party. Which is a good thing. There's also pretty good reason to believe that Mike Pence doing the same things Trump did without the reality TV businessman persona would not get the the base as excited.
I'm just reminded of The Hitchhiker's Guide wherein the Galactic President's job is to be outrageous and controversial so everyone will look at him instead of the people with the real power except, in this case, the person with the real power IS the outrageous and controversial figure that everyone keeps looking at.

HappyHippo posted:

Wanting to keep Trump around to make the next election easier is just another form of accelerationism.
Nnnnnnnnnot if you think his replacement would be worse, that's kind of the whole point

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Duke Igthorn posted:

Because of what I already said. People would rather think they got screwed by career politicians than fell for a really bad con. The Trumpgrets people are not typical Republicans. The only think Trump's done that has really upset partisans has been breaking decorum. These are the people that never voted before. That went for a long shot that he could make all their wildest dreams come true (like he actually said lol)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Man that's a lot of not freep content on such a freepy day.

quote:

NSA Whistleblower Confirms Intelligence Community Is ‘Absolutely’ Tapping Trump’s Calls

quote:

Where were these leakers during the 8 years Obama was effing this country and making back deals with Iran?

2 posted on Wed Feb 15 2017 16:38:50 GMT-0500 (EST) by davikkmquote

quote:

Time to defund and close the NSA. It’s also time to repeal the Patriot Act that turned a free country into a police state where not even the President is safe from the Gestapo.

4 posted on Wed Feb 15 2017 16:40:13 GMT-0500 (EST) by MeganC (Democrat by birth, Republican by default, conservative by principle.)

quote:

To: Paladin2
LOL. I just posted this on another thread
“If I was Trump in light of recent events I would pardon Eric Snowden and nominate him to head the NSA. I would tell him to dismantle it.”

7 posted on Wed Feb 15 2017 16:44:09 GMT-0500 (EST) by Lurkina.n.Learnin (Willie Sutton went into robbing banks and Hillary Clinton went into politics)

They're still dying on this hill

quote:

To: davikkm
When does one of these intelligence officials aligned with DJT release undeniable proof that Obama was not born in the USA?

8 posted on Wed Feb 15 2017 16:45:30 GMT-0500 (EST) by NImerc

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think impeachment would be an electoral disaster for the GOP, so I welcome it.

Two term President Carter and historical footnote actor-governor Reagan say hi.

Georgia Peach posted:

Just needs some Nancy Reagan guidance to direct her.

And my take on the Trump v Pence: showdown of the shittiest is one of spectrums, a similarity expressed before. Trump is deadlocked incompetence to nuclear holocaust while Pence is george w to goldwater. Depends on how much of a gambler you are.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Trump is a master at disappointing people who take a chance on him

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pontius Pilate posted:

Two term President Carter and historical footnote actor-governor Reagan say hi.

Are you forgetting that Nixon didn't actually get impeached and convicted?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

then why was he pardoned :smugdog:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sir Tonk posted:

then why was he pardoned :smugdog:

Because he was guilty as gently caress and would have gone to jail otherwise.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fishmech posted:

never change rahm 2018

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was hoping to see more tears over Puzder withdrawing his nomination for Labor Secretary, but the majority of Freep seem to be of the opinion that Puzder was a bad pick because he loved illegal immigration.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Holy poo poo post content

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

chitoryu12 posted:

lol, Trump is Frank Burns. Pence is Margaret Houlihan. The US is Hawkeye. The world is Sherman Potter. All the arzies are Radar

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Duke Igthorn posted:

I'm just reminded of The Hitchhiker's Guide wherein the Galactic President's job is to be outrageous and controversial so everyone will look at him instead of the people with the real power except, in this case, the person with the real power IS the outrageous and controversial figure that everyone keeps looking at.

Well, see, he's controversial about things to the extent that not everything he does can be followed. Trump has said and done a huge amount of bad things, but only a portion of it ever saw the light of scandal levels. Republicans aren't stupid when it comes to being inhuman shady fuckers, so they'll let him dangle like a shiny to distract while they do the other poo poo out of sight

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was hoping to see more tears over Puzder withdrawing his nomination for Labor Secretary, but the majority of Freep seem to be of the opinion that Puzder was a bad pick because he loved illegal immigration.

Yeah, he was one of those fence guys. On one hand he liked immigrants because they were cheap labor. On the other he loved being a cheap bastard and making sure he didn't pay anyone more than the lowest amount he could. If he stayed they'd praise him, as he goes they shame him. That's how freep think works.
Hell, even Dubya had a small following there that basically dumped his rear end the moment he saw the poo poo storm coming and voted against Trump.
Just remember this, George Bush was smarter than the majority of freep.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I do love their idea that the president should be 100% safe from surveillance by intelligence services. Like their problem is not that Trump might do bad, illegal stuff, it's that someone might tell the public he does.

Also :lol: at all of them being confused as to why they don't release anything about Obama. Maybe because Obama was an actual politician and didn't get into slap fights with the intelligence community or half the world?

Nah, liberal conspiracy.