Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

You've spent the last few months defending the sound logic of eternal centrism whenever called upon to do so, and very often when not called upon to do so or explicitly asked not to do so. A central pillar of that logic is that the Democrats don't need the left to win elections, so I don't see what you're so up in arms about. You centrists don't need our votes and you won't have them - godspeed.

"gently caress everyone that's not me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Neither Perez nor Ellison has the guts to march the coastal elites of West Hollywood, the Castro, and Greenwich Village out to the killing fields. Vote Buttigieg for a real Year Zero!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

"gently caress everyone that's not me"

Hey that is the centrist motto. I mean its why you guys get off to black and white working class barley getting by because they're either on welfare or at walmart and the factory jobs are gone. But you get to pay less for iphones so all's good.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 15, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Democrats won't represent their REAL base, white Soylent-chugging tech workers who speak for the minorities, and until they do I'll be voting Trotskyist in every election.

You have it backwards. Democrats' inability to play to any base other than wealthy urban professionals will continue to depress turnout against most of the country who are not that. Which is also why they lost the election in the first place, by chasing those votes. So I won't blame anyone who isn't doing fine in a white collar office job for not voting for them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure how you can look at Tom Perez, policy nerd and darling of unions, and determine that the DWS types have won, but ok.

For the last time--Perez wouldn't even be in the race if the Obama people hadn't asked him to run out of "fear" that Keith Ellison would become chairman.

It's not because of what Perez believes, it's who he represents--the establishment trying desperately to cut the insurgency's knees out from under it by installing a relic of the old guard. No, he won't be DWS redux, but he's no less likely than she is to prop up an outdated system that's a proven loser.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey that is the cntrist motto. I mean its why you guys get off to black and white working class barley getting by because they're either on welfare or at walmart and the factory jobs are gone. But you get to pay less for iphones so all's good.

I'm not a centrist and it's very hosed up of you to accuse people of this kind of poo poo because they wanted a competent politician instead of a transparently corrupt businessman as president.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

You have it backwards. Democrats' inability to play to any base other than wealthy urban professionals will continue to depress turnout against most of the country who are not that. Which is also why they lost the election in the first place, by chasing those votes. So I won't blame anyone who isn't doing fine in a white collar office job for not voting for them.

Shut up, Hillaryman entryist pigdog. Thy efforts to interrupt my Stirnerite Egoist Meditation Technique will avail thou naught, for Nihilist Communism shields me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alter Ego posted:

For the last time--Perez wouldn't even be in the race if the Obama people hadn't asked him to run out of "fear" that Keith Ellison would become chairman.

It's not because of what Perez believes, it's who he represents--the establishment trying desperately to cut the insurgency's knees out from under it by installing a relic of the old guard.

Ok, but we've reached the point where "a relic of the old guard" is a pro-union member of the previous, popular liberal administration. The Overton window is already shifting.

I think we're also understating just how awful DWS was.

Besides that, with how little we know of what's happening in the process for sure, how do we even know Perez is actually winning? How do we lobby for this? Who should we be calling/emailing? We got one tweet and now the sky is falling, we're doomed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok, but we've reached the point where "a relic of the old guard" is a pro-union member of the previous, popular liberal administration. The Overton window is already shifting.

I think we're also understating just how awful DWS was.

Besides that, with how little we know of what's happening in the process for sure, how do we even know Perez is actually winning? How do we lobby for this? Who should we be calling/emailing? We got one tweet and now the sky is falling, we're doomed.

embrace that failure is inevitable in all things and that the correct action is to live in an artisanal barrel in a forest clearing, and to say nothing but "Bernie would have won," for speaking God's Truth is the only just speech

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

This I can agree with. We tend to surrender all hope far too easily.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Shut up, Hillaryman entryist pigdog. Thy efforts to interrupt my Stirnerite Egoist Meditation Technique will avail thou naught, for Nihilist Communism shields me.

So you agree that the Dems' attempts to nickel and dime demographics into victories by portraying themselves as fiscal conservatives to court suburban Republican voters (as they tried in 2016) have failed miserably?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure how you can look at Tom Perez, policy nerd and darling of unions, and determine that the DWS types have won, but ok.
Perez is their candidate regardless of whatever his actual policy positions are (which I do not have a problem with). Whatever he thinks he wants to do as chair, once he's there he will toe the party line for the centrists or they will undermine him every chance they get, and unlike Ellison I don't think he'll fight back (actually I think it's a moot point because he happily toe the establishment line, but whatever).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not a centrist and it's very hosed up of you to accuse people of this kind of poo poo because they wanted a competent politician instead of a transparently corrupt businessman as president.

I just tell it as it is. Also competent people don't have private email servers going against protocals and know that if they need hispanic voters they campaign for their votes, and that states with republican governors you want to go for you should probably be campaigned in. Rather then just attending fundraisers in Hollywood. Also I tell it as it is. As Jefferson Clay was wmore ththen happy to throw black and hispanic males under the bus because Abuela lost. You defended him. So there is also that. Really its just sad you guys try to pretend you have a ounce of empathy in you. All you want are cheap iphones.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Also Keith specifically asked people not to call or pressure officials to vote for him. I mean, it won't matter who is DNC chair either way since there will need to be robust voter participation at a state level no matter who is handing out the funds. It's just more likely for progressive challenges to get funding and succeed if Ellison is in there IMO.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

Perez is their candidate regardless of whatever his actual policy positions are (which I do not have a problem with). Whatever he thinks he wants to do as chair, once he's there he will toe the party line for the centrists or they will undermine him every chance they get, and unlike Ellison I don't think he'll fight back (actually I think it's a moot point because he happily toe the establishment line, but whatever).

I don't know that Ellison would actually fare hugely better, tbh. We're making a lot of assumptions about how much power a single person has over the system. One change in leadership does not a revolution make.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

I just tell it as it is. Also competent people don't have private email servers going against protocals and know that if they need hispanic voters they campaign for their votes, and that states with republican governors you want to go for you should probably be campaigned in. Rather then just attending fundraisers in Hollywood. Also I tell it as it is. As Jefferson Clay was wmore ththen happy to throw black and hispanic males under the bus because Abuela lost. You defended him. So there is also that. Really its just sad you guys try to pretend you have a ounce of empathy in you. All you want are cheap iphones.

okay real talk for a second here - i seriously think this guy is a markov bot because every post ive ever seen from him looks like its been bolted together procedurally

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

So you agree that the Dems' attempts to nickel and dime demographics into victories by portraying themselves as fiscal conservatives to court suburban Republican voters (as they tried in 2016) have failed miserably?

Your Bolshevik Hitleryistite efforts to dilute my raw hypersexual purity are as liberal as rejecting NAFTA for its imperial inclinations rather than its corruption of our precious bodily fluids with Canado-Mexican semen.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

okay real talk for a second here - i seriously think this guy is a markov bot because every post ive ever seen from him looks like its been bolted together procedurally

I think there's two of them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fiction posted:

Also Keith specifically asked people not to call or pressure officials to vote for him. I mean, it won't matter who is DNC chair either way since there will need to be robust voter participation at a state level no matter who is handing out the funds. It's just more likely for progressive challenges to get funding and succeed if Ellison is in there IMO.

So... we should just sit and do nothing? That's kind of stupid. :(

I agree that Ellison in charge is probably better for progressive primary challenges, but I don't know if it would make a huge difference as compared to bottom up organization.

Really it seems to me that regardless of who wins progressivism needs an alternate, parallel organizational structure that is loosely allied with but not beholden directly to the party.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alter Ego posted:

This I can agree with. We tend to surrender all hope far too easily.

the people that vote for chair are all party hacks so perez being the likely winner isn't too far of a conclusion to draw

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

You are extremely dumb and apparently proud of it. Trump thanks you for your useful idiocy.

My vote doesn't matter anyway cause the dems don't give a poo poo so why should I?

Lightning Knight posted:

Perez wants to do the same strategy that was generally preferred, a 50 state focus and more support for smaller races. He doesn't set platform from DNC chair.

Lol if you think "how charismatic is the guy who does fundraising for the party???" is going to matter in a year.

Edit: also, readingatwork, you live in California. Nobody cares if you vote third party to protest.

If the DNC was smart it would matter. Also, Perez will work to get more lovely TPP loving dems in power if he can, so he may not set the platform on its own but he will influence it a lot.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

Sorry I get a little pissy with people who lie through their teeth. Like Nezzy and Clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

So... we should just sit and do nothing? That's kind of stupid. :(

I agree that Ellison in charge is probably better for progressive primary challenges, but I don't know if it would make a huge difference as compared to bottom up organization.

Really it seems to me that regardless of who wins progressivism needs an alternate, parallel organizational structure that is loosely allied with but not beholden directly to the party.

DSA. I am involved in the one in Duluth, and am prepping to get involved in the Democrats at UMD. Act like the tea party, primary filth like Corey Booker and other centrist Idols. When the centrists whine and say we're going to lose the party the elections always remind them of 2016.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

If the DNC was smart it would matter. Also, Perez will work to get more lovely TPP loving dems in power if he can, so he may not set the platform on its own but he will influence it a lot.

I'm not sure why you're so convinced that TPP is still going to be on the table in four years, but ok.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

My vote doesn't matter anyway cause the dems don't give a poo poo so why should I?

Agreed, burn down the traitor SEIU for endorsing the Trans-Pacific Black Helicopter and MIB Partnership and its living avatar, Thomas Neoliberal Perez.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Well you're the guys claiming you want to defeat the facsist. Yet you don't want to do anything different to defeat him, and then wonder why we don't show up. Maybe you need to be willing to give us a inch. Maybe offer real change to a sick system rather then saying it was fine b before we got Orange Peron into office. I'll support Ellison for Governor in 2018. So he can run for president in 2020. Then we can ensure you centrists understand who actually represents the party. (Its us, not you losers who cheered a loving financier like Tim Kaine as the VP)

Instead of primarying Mark "close tax loopholes for the rich and the corporations" Dayton in spite of his solid progressive record, why not work on booting out Collin "Founder of the Blue Dog Coalition" Peterson, you unbelievable moron? You're talking about booting a reliable progressive out of some idiotic anti-establishment sentiment while your fairly blue state has two Republican reps, a Blue Dog rep, and Republican majorities in both houses of the state legislature.

RaySmuckles posted:

i feel like this is a really harsh indictment of the left. the left is weak and directionless because the levers of power have been used to destroy all of the left's traditional institutions.

unions have been obliterated
democrats turned away from courting religious do-gooders
universities are being increasingly run by the business community with coddling policies that spurn unrest
education in general is deteriorating
campaign financing is increasingly reliant on corporate mega-bucks

sure, people who support the left could have potentially done more, but at least acknowledge that their institutions and therefore their ability to organize and effect change have been seriously diminished.

Where do you think unions came from in the first place? Organized labor wasn't created by the government - it was organized by the people, from the bottom up. The protections unions enjoyed in their heyday weren't generously given to them by the government - they were concessions extracted from the government after hard-fought battles, often physical as well as political. Sure, unions are facing challenges today as the protections they won back then are now being rolled back...but that's nothing compared to the challenges they faced back in labor's heyday, when not only did they lack those protections but the Supreme Court also said it would be unconstitutional to grant them those protections!

The same is true for campaign finance laws. Back in the Gilded Age (a time of historic inequality), campaign finance was basically unregulated, with banks and corporations being able to donate unlimited amounts directly to candidates with no disclosure requirements whatsoever. Campaign finance restrictions came in response to progressive activism and public outrage at candidates who were more and more obviously in the pockets of big business. These institutions were not graciously given to the left to allow them to fight on an even stage - they were hard-won concessions that did not exist until the left organized and fought for them.

The left has to build - and defend - its own institutions. It can't rely on top-down structures if it wants to succeed.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Agreed, burn down the traitor SEIU for endorsing the Trans-Pacific Black Helicopter and MIB Partnership and its living avatar, Thomas Neoliberal Perez.

Did you accidentally sarcastically make the good point that big unions haven't had workers' best interest at heart for a decent while? Keep following that logic, you're almost there!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure why you're so convinced that TPP is still going to be on the table in four years, but ok.

I'm convinced that a clone will be on the table cause it's what dems want.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Crowsbeak posted:

No he's bad because you like seeing black and white workers forced to live on welfare because of your precious trade agreements. To bad Republicans are going to pass more anti lgbt stuff. But then your precious trade agreements had to stand.

So you're a hysterical protectionist. Gotcha.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: also, readingatwork, you live in California. Nobody cares if you vote third party to protest.

You're right. Guess the Dems don't need my support after all...

On an unrelated note when was Dianne Feinstein's next term up?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

I'm convinced that a clone will be on the table cause it's what dems want.

I mean, possibly. But you're talking minimum four years in the future, for a trade deal that was very high profile and widely disliked. That's a long time to try and force the negotiation of a better deal, or block it outright, depending on your ideological stance towards international trade.

In the meantime the fascists control every level of congress. Excuse me for not caring as much about Democratic positions on hypothetical trade deals at the present.

^ I mean, you can go make jerk off motions on a hill towards D.C. and it would make just as much of a difference.

I thought Feinstein was retiring.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah I strongly suspect that if the economy is going to be sent for a tailspin by 2019 no one, not even the idiot centrist dems will be openly singing about trade.

Main Paineframe posted:

Instead of primarying Mark "close tax loopholes for the rich and the corporations" Dayton in spite of his solid progressive record, why not work on booting out Collin "Founder of the Blue Dog Coalition" Peterson, you unbelievable moron? You're talking about booting a reliable progressive out of some idiotic anti-establishment sentiment while your fairly blue state has two Republican reps, a Blue Dog rep, and Republican majorities in both houses of the state legislature.
Mark Dayton has prostate cancer. Also he already has said he will not run for a third term. Maybe do your own research before you call me a moron. I like Mark. He could have been more strident at times but he has done great for Minnesota. However he literally is done.

Main Paineframe posted:

Where do you think unions came from in the first place? Organized labor wasn't created by the government - it was organized by the people, from the bottom up. The protections unions enjoyed in their heyday weren't generously given to them by the government - they were concessions extracted from the government after hard-fought battles, often physical as well as political. Sure, unions are facing challenges today as the protections they won back then are now being rolled back...but that's nothing compared to the challenges they faced back in labor's heyday, when not only did they lack those protections but the Supreme Court also said it would be unconstitutional to grant them those protections!

The same is true for campaign finance laws. Back in the Gilded Age (a time of historic inequality), campaign finance was basically unregulated, with banks and corporations being able to donate unlimited amounts directly to candidates with no disclosure requirements whatsoever. Campaign finance restrictions came in response to progressive activism and public outrage at candidates who were more and more obviously in the pockets of big business. These institutions were not graciously given to the left to allow them to fight on an even stage - they were hard-won concessions that did not exist until the left organized and fought for them.

The left has to build - and defend - its own institutions. It can't rely on top-down structures if it wants to succeed.

Thats what I am going to do. I am also going to ensure that centrists are not seen in the party leadership for at least a generation.Centrists have shown they just want poor Americans to suffer and therefore deserve no seat at the table.

Ogmius815 posted:

No, but I also no that promising more trade agreements drives down voters in the Midwest and so its best to drop them as issues.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 15, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Opposing the sloppy blow job to capital that is the Democrats' current stance on trade doesn't make you a protectionist.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you see NAFTA killed jobs which is why job losses didn't start until GWB's inauguration

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Dayton might not run again? He has prostate cancer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
You should be able to acknowledge that trade deals we have historically made were bad without being opposed to the idea of trade deals in principle.

^ :smith:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you see NAFTA killed jobs which is why job losses didn't start until GWB's inauguration

But that can't be true. My gut and common sense tell me that trade deals are a disaster! They KILL jobs!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

You've spent the last few months defending the sound logic of eternal centrism whenever called upon to do so, and very often when not called upon to do so or explicitly asked not to do so. A central pillar of that logic is that the Democrats don't need the left to win elections, so I don't see what you're so up in arms about. You centrists don't need our votes and you won't have them - godspeed.

Perez isn't a centrist. The 2016 democratic platform is not centrist. The positions articulated by Perez and the 2016 platform are not electoral liabilities, and there's zero evidence democrats would benefit from shifting further left. Your "give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a tantrum" strategy got you nothing but Trump in 2016 and will get you exactly the same if you try it again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

It's not because of what Perez believes, it's who he represents--the establishment trying desperately to cut the insurgency's knees out from under it by installing a relic of the old guard. No, he won't be DWS redux, but he's no less likely than she is to prop up an outdated system that's a proven loser.

No, the reason Obama's people asked Perez to run is because they think his ties to organized labor and Hispanic communities are more important than Ellison's ties to college progressives and Muslim organizations.

readingatwork posted:

You're right. Guess the Dems don't need my support after all...

On an unrelated note when was Dianne Feinstein's next term up?

Feinstein has beaten primary challenges literally every single election she's had for that seat, and in 2010 California voters created a jungle primary system that makes it far more difficult to primary her from the left than it's ever been before, so I'm sure she's really worried about her next election.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Your "give me exactly what I want or I'll throw a tantrum" strategy got you nothing but Trump in 2016

Who do you think exactly in the party is the one executing this strategy and is responsible for Trump? I'll give you a big hint: it's not the progressive wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah now I want you to go to Indiana and Ohio and tell everyone there that Nafta made their life better.

Lightning Knight posted:

You should be able to acknowledge that trade deals we have historically made were bad without being opposed to the idea of trade deals in principle.

^ :smith:

Not suggesting we should be. On the other hand, trumpeting them doesn't get you votes. Which is what the centrists claim they are all about.

• Locked thread