Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Erata posted:

:same: I never quite took a shine to Sean. He hasn't been on the podcast for a while now. Nick has been playing some Dark Souls on their twitch channel. Watching him constantly eat his own words was funny.

They're slowing down on Idle Thumbs and starting up a generally themed podcast they call Important if True, which probably won't be video game focused at all since that'll be the only thing really separating it from the original podcast.
From what little I understand, it'll probably be more news/pop culture focused?

Oh really? I'm surprised they are kinda phasing out Idle Thumbs esp after the kickstarter but I'll be frank they don't seem so enthused about games now and more interested in general and social stuff. Nick did seem to enjoy games more still though (Remo seemed totally disconnected from gaming and Jake was a little muted) and I found it very amusing when he was all 'oh I've 100% internalised Dark Souls' to then be beat down etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blackfyre posted:

EDIT: I've not really listened to Idle Thumbs for a while, used to really enjoy it every week but started to find some it grating. Stopped a bit before Danielle came in? Think I didn't enjoy guest eps. Has Sean quit now then? I always enjoy Nick being Nick so glad he came back.

Felt they dropped the ball with Firewatch a bit though as it was good but not as great as I felt it should be with all their talk about games etc.
They're back to the Chris, Nick, Jake combo. It's been real great as of late. Danielle and Rob Zacney host Idle Weekends now. Sean still works at Campo Santo but isn't on the podcast anymore.

As for Firewatch, a lot of folks really, really like that game, while others find a lot of it good but that it dropped the ball in parts, so overall I think they hit the mark more often than not.

Idle Thumbs is continuing, they've joked about it "being over" but they're just going to do it every so often instead of every week. Gives them more opportunities to play stuff and build up discussions about games. Plus this new podcast they're doing allows them to go off on wild-rear end unrelated tangents more regularly when they'd try to reign it in somewhat on Idle Thumbs.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I dunno how interested I am in hearing the Idle Thumbs guys do a podcast entirely on their unrelated tangent topics, the big appeal of that show to me has always been how insightful they are on games as people who have worked in that industry in various forms, where most gaming podcasts/youtube people/etc are entirely from a player perspective.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Yakuza has incredible faces though?

Kuze and awano are amazing in their close up full production scenes in zero. Seriously blown away by the intensity and anger they convey through the facial capture.
The game has like five levels of production quality in cutscenes though, its kinda all over the place, so sometimes stuff looks bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Bones posted:

I dunno how interested I am in hearing the Idle Thumbs guys do a podcast entirely on their unrelated tangent topics, the big appeal of that show to me has always been how insightful they are on games as people who have worked in that industry in various forms, where most gaming podcasts/youtube people/etc are entirely from a player perspective.

That reminds me of the Extra History videos the Extra Credits people make, and how I wish they wouldn't.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

oddium posted:

yes, foal 2 pony

lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtYHswzFzM

I wanna pet those cats

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While we still talk about video game faces...I always felt like the designs of facial expression meltdowns in Phoenix Wright are one of the main reasons why those games are good. Basically the moment the culprit visibly squirms in Phoenix Wright is the equivalent of how using the shotgun feels in Doom.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And then the music kicks in and this sums it up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Nothing better than seeing those smug rear end pricks crack when they get exposed. I will admit some of the characters turn me off because how poo poo they treat Wright but goddamn do I enjoy when Wright wins. It's that extra gently caress you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's unfortunate that the prosecutors becoming your friend at the end is kind of expected by now, because it would be great to just discredit/jail some of those assholes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I took a peek into the long-term investing thread to see how I could do more today to help out future me, and god drat it's like I jumped into the DotA2 thread right after a major patch. Just streams of acronyms I don't understand and percentiles that don't make sense that make me want to close the door and pretend I didn't see anything. I need a "Popular Portfolio Builds for Level 30 Idiots" article or something, likely followed by a "Respeccing After A Market Crash" article.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm no expert but invest all your money in sega imo

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what Sonic Mania is, but it sounds like a lot of big deals are going down in that market sector.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I took a peek into the long-term investing thread to see how I could do more today to help out future me, and god drat it's like I jumped into the DotA2 thread right after a major patch. Just streams of acronyms I don't understand and percentiles that don't make sense that make me want to close the door and pretend I didn't see anything. I need a "Popular Portfolio Builds for Level 30 Idiots" article or something, likely followed by a "Respeccing After A Market Crash" article.
Well, there's a reason why 'financial advisor' is an actual job. Not that they know what they're doing but they know the acronyms.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Erata posted:

I'm not sure what Sonic Mania is, but it sounds like a lot of big deals are going down in that market sector.

~.gif of Jim Cramer holding over-sized gold rings and mashing his "Buy" button~

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've given Idle Thumbs several tries over the years but I could never really get into it because their roundtable format was too open and disorganized, I much more prefer something with a more focused theme for each episode like Retronauts or Watch Out for Fireballs or even the gaming episodes of Laser Time.

That and since everyone on it works in game dev there's too much self-promotion or playing softball with anything anybody is affiliated with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Self promotion lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

Well, there's a reason why 'financial advisor' is an actual job. Not that they know what they're doing but they know the acronyms.
Also because they basically only have to set you up once and then make money off of you for years with minimal maintenance

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

I've given Idle Thumbs several tries over the years but I could never really get into it because their roundtable format was too open and disorganized, I much more prefer something with a more focused theme for each episode like Retronauts or Watch Out for Fireballs or even the gaming episodes of Laser Time.

That and since everyone on it works in game dev there's too much self-promotion or playing softball with anything anybody is affiliated with.

I'm listening to the most recent Vidjagame Apocalypse right now and it's a mess. It's like they never listened to anyone else attempt a "Best Games of All Time" episode, or at least didn't think the format out very well. For those not listening, four people each have a list of 10 games they want to suggest, but only 20 make it to the final list. I would think that going around and discussing each game first and then making the cuts after all 40 titles have been brought up is the best way to organize it, but in this they are making the cuts right after talking about a game, shunting it off in favor of other games sight-unseen.

To be fair I love to hate Chris Antista and the podcasts he does. I keep listening and I keep thinking he's terrible, but the rest of the LT crew is alright. The recent episode about being out of touch with pop culture was fun.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The main thing I ask for in a podcast is strong chemistry between the hosts. Jokey fun stuff paired up with any serious chatting. Otherwise, there's always GDC's vault to go digging through and look for lectures given by people with stronger personal experience with their topic.
Chemistry is key though. It helps out so much when a podcast hits an inevitable boring lull.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Long term investing for very dumb lazy people like me: skip picking winners and losers and buy indexes instead that value the whole market.

So like buy s&p 500 shares if you are going long term. The market has proven that idiots will pump it right back up after a crash no matter what chasing new record highs.

Like sure you will get thrashed every 6-10 years but wall st greed has erased those losses quickly every time they happen building the next bubble so over time you're looking at growth that is actually pretty safe.

Close to retirement you wanna gtfo though cause you cant be trying to cash out in a down cycle.

Im no expert though, you probably want one.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

If your workplace has employer-matching 401k, max that out. If you don't have that or want to save more, park as much money as you can in an IRA (Traditional or Roth will be better depending on your long-term income curve). An index fund like Vanguard's is your best bet for set-it-and-forget-it investment as they will automatically diversify your risk while also having the lowest fees, which is where people lose the most anyway

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To celebrate the 20 year anniversary of Face/Off, I decided to finally watch Face/Off.

It may well be the greatest movie ever made.

E: Whoops, wrong thread. The point remains.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If your workplace has employer-matching 401k, max that out. If you don't have that or want to save more, park as much money as you can in an IRA (Traditional or Roth will be better depending on your long-term income curve). An index fund like Vanguard's is your best bet for set-it-and-forget-it investment as they will automatically diversify your risk while also having the lowest fees, which is where people lose the most anyway

Yeah, I've maxed my contributions and my employer will match them. I fiddle with it every six months or so, just to look like I know what I'm doing. That post was borne out of a Gizmodo article on apps that help save money, specifically the app Acorns which can round up purchases and invest them into a diversified portfolio once it banks $5. It can also take recurring investments, so I can do $7 a week or something and just have that build, then it reinvests the dividends. My bank has a similar round-up program but it tops out at $300 a year and only puts it into savings. I know that investing is to real key to making money grow, so hopefully this will help with that a little. In the future, all games will have vital content locked behind season passes; I'm just trying to get my wargame chest in order before those dark days arrive.

(First ultrasound was great, Waffle Jr. looks like a gummy bear)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I would avoid gimmicky savings programs and apps you read about on gizmodo.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, ok. ~takes financial advice from an actual dog.~

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Buy 19 stocks or more of Nintendo and unlock an EXCLUSIVE free* Nintendo Switch™ shirt for Link to wear in Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild™! We created this content we are sure you will love because we care about your experience in Hyrule and want to make it special.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I beat Ursula. Grinding out just one level and putting on Thundara Rings helped big time. Please tell me no more levels take place in the ocean (Monstro doesn't count) because in video games combat and navigation is not necessarily better down where it's wetter.

an actual dog posted:

I would avoid gimmicky savings programs and apps you read about on gizmodo.

I like everything about your username/avatar/title combo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Buy 19 stocks or more of Nintendo and unlock an EXCLUSIVE free* Nintendo Switch™ shirt for Link to wear in Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild™! We created this content we are sure you will love because we care about your experience in Hyrule and want to make it special.

BUY BUY BUY! The market can only go up from here!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

Okay I beat Ursula. Grinding out just one level and putting on Thundara Rings helped big time. Please tell me no more levels take place in the ocean (Monstro doesn't count) because in video games combat and navigation is not necessarily better down where it's wetter.

Ursula is basically designed to teach you that Aero is the most broken spell in the game

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mak0rz posted:

If it's KH1 you're talking about, the swimming mechanics/movement from the little mermaid world do come back later in the game, but I can't remember if they are any easier the second time around.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Ursula is basically designed to teach you that Aero is the most broken spell in the game

No kidding, that helped me out a lot too.

Guides online say the battle gets harder when you cast Aero because she increases her lightning attacks or something but after playing it myself that seems like it's bullshit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red Bones posted:

If it's KH1 you're talking about, the swimming mechanics/movement from the little mermaid world do come back later in the game, but I can't remember if they are any easier the second time around.

If you're talking about Neverland it's nowhere near as bad.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, ok. ~takes financial advice from an actual dog.~

I looked up Acorns, which seems fine as an extra savings or loyalty program (extra cash back if you shop here or whatever) but it isn't really a retirement account. The advantage with an IRA is that either the money you put in (for a traditional IRA) or the money you take out (Roth IRA) isn't taxed as income, which means that you get to keep more of it.

The first bit of savings you should have is 3-6 months of emergency funds. If you have any left over that, grab at Roth IRA. You can take out the money you put in (but not any money you earn on top of that) and the tax situation makes more sense for people under 40. The one to grab is a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund. It'll do all the percentages crap for you, and Vanguard has very low fees.

I think making decisions like this is a better plan than rounding up change or whatever, it's more predictable and it's not something you have to think about as much!

But yea, whatever works for you I'm just a poster. good luck!

Mak0rz posted:

thank you friend

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Bones posted:

Oh no :(

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're talking about Neverland it's nowhere near as bad.

Oh okay good.

an actual dog posted:

thank you friend

:woof:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

an actual dog posted:

woof woof ruff bark woof

I'll concede that a phone app isn't going to be the best way to plan for my retirement. My employer and I contribute to a 401k (I'm pretty sure, although I work for the government and I think I saw something about their investments not strictly being a 401k? I'm hazy on the details), so I guess the real question I have is should I open up a separate traditional e:Roth IRA through Vanguard on top of my existing retirement fund? The only way I can contribute more to my 401k each month is by mailing in a check with instructions, and that's not going to fly for the long term. I hear Vanguard name dropped often, so if I can sort out how many portfolios I should be thinking about managing I would feel like I'm on a better track.

I know this is a gaming chat thread and I could take my questions back to the D&D subforums but since my investment knowledge is based on the Ehrgeiz RPG and Fortune Street, I thought I'd tap my peers' brains first.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 15, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just make sure you dump all your gold into the bank before you go into any tough dungeons and you'll be fine.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Since there's no WiiU thread or Wonderful101 thread anymore, I'll ask here: what the heck is going on in Wonderful101?

I tried playing the demo and lost track of what they wanted me to do/what controls and options they were telling me about after like the third instruction. Is there a good youtube tutorial or something?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

I hear Vanguard name dropped often, so if I can sort out how many portfolios I should be thinking about managing I would feel like I'm on a better track.

In addition to the 401k, you really just need the one Vanguard account. It does the diversification and balancing for you, and as you get closer to retirement it becomes less and less risky.

It's not a good idea to fiddle with investments on a regular basis, you'll do better figuring out a long term plan and sticking with it. The nice thing about a the Target Retirement Fund is that it has a very good plan already baked into it.

Leave the game playing for actual videogames!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah those apps are good for people who can't get themselves to save because it does it automatically, but if you are committed to putting money away and have the leeway, might as well try to minimize the middleman and deposit it in big chunks. Acorns makes it money through fees just like any other investment firm, and also probably from taking advantage of those pennies before they get officially invested for you.

If you are a government employee you are probably in the Thrift Savings Program, which is basically the same as any private 401(k) except you pay less in expenses. You can have an IRA on top of that. Also if you are having a child you may want to look into the various savings programs like a Coverdell ESA or 529.

The difference between a Traditional and Roth IRA is when you get taxed. In a traditional, any money you sock away is not taxed, meaning that lowers your taxable income now. However when you withdraw it down the line, it will be taxable income. With a Roth IRA you do not lower your current taxable income, but withdrawals in the future are not taxed.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 15, 2017

• Locked thread