Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gatts posted:

True.

I just don't understand how you can draw inspiration from comics and come up with a plain city. This should be some Kirby poo poo like Wakanda could be akin to Asgard. Part of what's going on in these Marvel movies is man challenging the levels of Gods with Portmans understanding of their tech, Iron Man holding his own against Thor, the Hulk demolishing Gods, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wakanda does have super-tech on that order, they just don't show it off all the time. Panther and his dad in Civil War seemed very "We may not look like much, but cross us at your own peril" sorts and it would make sense for Wakanda to follow suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ant-Man is one of my favorite MCU movies, but it is absolutely dragged down by the "intrusion of the Marvel universe into an otherwise functional plot", which is sad because it's super obvious that that's the sort of thing that Edgar Wright got fired over and those scenes come across pretty different from the stuff he wrote, IMO.

Captain America 1 still the best MCU film, though. Winter Soldier (despite muddled ending), Iron Man 1 and 3, and Guardians also good. Really hoping that Thor 3 will be as good as I'm hoping it will, but I have a suspicion that it might fall prey to the same "need to integrate other Marvel movies" issue that Ant-Man did.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Laura is not happy to be the star of a bootleg internet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqqF07kN5d4

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Saw the latest Marvel movie and what do you know, the brilliant white man with an underappreciated girlfriend suffers a traumatic experience, learns a valuable lesson and becomes less of an rear end in a top hat. Even with the freedom given by the setting, this is just a Tony Stark flick with glyphs and old books instead of lasers and touch screens, wrapped in the same MCU package we've seen thirteen times. What's the point?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You guys are really onto something about the pattern of these Marvel movies, except the part where Tony changes or learns anything.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/831763723907952640

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder how they'll be doing underwater scenes. Will they be all murky and stuff or will we get a kind of "Aqua-vision" view so that everything isn't ridiculously dark and obscured all the time?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Ant-Man is one of my favorite MCU movies, but it is absolutely dragged down by the "intrusion of the Marvel universe into an otherwise functional plot", which is sad because it's super obvious that that's the sort of thing that Edgar Wright got fired over and those scenes come across pretty different from the stuff he wrote, IMO.

This is my favorite thing because, without looking, go ahead and say what Wright wrote and what was done by Peyton Reed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

I wonder how they'll be doing underwater scenes. Will they be all murky and stuff or will we get a kind of "Aqua-vision" view so that everything isn't ridiculously dark and obscured all the time?

What if the ocean was in color?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

How is it dragged down by MCU involvment? I mean Pym having a history with SHIELD and Stark helps back up his logic that they can't be trusted with his technology. Is it just because he fought the Falcon? Also, wasn't it confirmed the Falcon fight was in Wright's script?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Electromax
May 6, 2007

seravid posted:

Saw the latest Marvel movie and what do you know, the brilliant white man with an underappreciated girlfriend suffers a traumatic experience, learns a valuable lesson and becomes less of an rear end in a top hat. Even with the freedom given by the setting, this is just a Tony Stark flick with glyphs and old books instead of lasers and touch screens, wrapped in the same MCU package we've seen thirteen times. What's the point?

Remember this feeling when someone asks you if you want to see the 14th/15th/16th one!

notthegoatseguy posted:

How is it dragged down by MCU involvment? I mean Pym having a history with SHIELD and Stark helps back up his logic that they can't be trusted with his technology. Is it just because he fought the Falcon? Also, wasn't it confirmed the Falcon fight was in Wright's script?

I felt like in a non-franchise movie they still would've had a Notable Henchman for him to fight in that sequence, it just wouldn't be a familiar face.

Martman posted:

And more logistically, how much of the filming time will Momoa be spending in a water tank.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

This is my favorite thing because, without looking, go ahead and say what Wright wrote and what was done by Peyton Reed.

Some of the funniest parts were added after Wright left even.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

seravid posted:

The best was how since he's a rich white guy he's able to master the ancient arts they very pointedly say would take years of dedication to master the same way his surgical skills took except he's able to unlock the Eye and go toe to toe with dudes like 48 hours later.

Best part of the movie is Benjamin Bratt's character being introduced via a basketball scene, an incredible call back to Catwoman.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

The best was how since he's a rich white guy he's able to master the ancient arts they very pointedly say would take years of dedication to master the same way his surgical skills took except he's able to unlock the Eye and go toe to toe with dudes like 48 hours later.

Best part of the movie is Benjamin Bratt's character being introduced via a basketball scene, an incredible call back to Catwoman.

I think it was more than two days. His ex girlfriend seemed like he had been gone for a decent amount of time. Ultimately his study time was done mostly while he was astral-projected, so time slowed down by like 1/500th or more. And the character Strange seemed like the type of person who could get lost in his research, especially since he was making noticeable (and magical) gains.

Basically, I don't view him learning his magic stuff quickly-ish as a plot hole. And I'm pretty loving critical of the Marvel movies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Drifter posted:

I think it was more than two days. His ex girlfriend seemed like he had been gone for a decent amount of time. Ultimately his study time was done mostly while he was astral-projected, so time slowed down by like 1/500th or more. And the character Strange seemed like the type of person who could get lost in his research, especially since he was making noticeable (and magical) gains.

Basically, I don't view him learning his magic stuff quickly-ish as a plot hole. And I'm pretty loving critical of the Marvel movies.

They explicitly say that she hadn't seen him for over a year. So, sometime after he flips out at her in his apartment and when he comes back is about a year. His training is probably about 10-12 months.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To Strange's defense, he's not known to have come from a corporate dynasty like Tony Stark. He has photograhic memory. They don't mention his family or anything, but I didn't get the impression he was rich before he was a doctor.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They explicitly say that she hadn't seen him for over a year. So, sometime after he flips out at her in his apartment and when he comes back is about a year. His training is probably about 10-12 months.

Well the movie didn't pay any attention to McAdams, so I can be excused for not listening to her as well.
:3:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Well the movie didn't pay any attention to McAdams, so I can be excused for not listening to her as well.
:3:

Yeah, I was just supporting that you were correct that it was much longer than 48 hours.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah, I was just supporting that you were correct that it was much longer than 48 hours.
It's always nice to be backed up by legit numbers when people jump to conclusions about a movie. Thank you.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

KoB posted:

Some of the funniest parts were added after Wright left even.

Peyton Reed listed a lot of the changes that Paul Rudd and Adam McKay made. One of the biggest was the increased role for Evangeline LIly, and all the stuff with Michael Pena. The fight with the Falcon came from McKay. The idea of Scott sacrificing himself and going into the microverse at the end came from Reed.

I'd still love to read one of those Wright/Cornish drafts regardless. But I was pretty happy with the movie that came out (Apart from the fact that Corey Stoll is like immediately villainous).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

You guys are really onto something about the pattern of these Marvel movies, except the part where Tony changes or learns anything.

Half of this phenomenon to me is Joss Whedon sabotaging everyone's character development. I didn't really have problems with the Iron Man character until Avengers 2 retconned basically all of the Iron Man and Captain America movies.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re. Strange: a year might've passed, but I don't know how he got out of Mount Everest in the first place. Surrendering control and silencing his ego were the keys to cast portals (and everything else?) and, at that point in the movie, he certainly hadn't done either. No, he remained his old bastard self, mocking everything, stealing books and performing forbidden spells and then he became the best wizard ever!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Re. Strange: a year might've passed, but I don't know how he got out of Mount Everest in the first place. Surrendering control and silencing his ego were the keys to cast portals (and everything else?) and, at that point in the movie, he certainly hadn't done either. No, he remained his old bastard self, mocking everything, stealing books and performing forbidden spells and then he became the best wizard ever!

He was already able to kinda get things started - you saw he was able to make baby sparks. Add in a near death experience and who the gently caress knows?
And like all things, actual methods and methods taught to beginners to help them get started can vary wildly. Maybe his control didn't need to be completely surrendered and an ego could still have a bit of volume.

Again, he clearly put in the time if we assume he spent a week a day studying in his astral form.

I mean, it doesn't matter - I don't think it detracts from the movie itself. It's not like it's a movie grounded in reality and realistic outcomes.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Again, he clearly put in the time if we assume he spent a week a day studying in his astral form.

Oh, I'm fine with that, I just used it to segue into my thing... which also doesn't really matter compared to every other issue I have with this movie. It just felt (at the time) like a scene was missing between "trapped at Everest" and "portals his way out".

seravid fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 15, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martman posted:

Hopefully Atlantis uses assloads of bioluminescence and geothermal related phosphorescence, giving them lots of light in rainbow colors. Glowing crystals would be cool too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo

quote:

Warner Bros. Courts Mel Gibson to Direct 'Suicide Squad' Sequel

Mel Gibson is mulling joining the DC Cinematic Universe … as a director.

Warner Bros. is courting the actor-director to helm Suicide Squad 2 and the sides are early in talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. No official offer has been made nor has any commitment.

Sources say that Gibson is familiarizing himself with the material. But the studio is not being passive and it also looking at other directors, Daniel Espinosa among them.

David Ayer directed the initial outing, which featured an all-star cast that included Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto. The movie faced some hurdles during production and was met with somewhat polarizing response, but grossed $745 million worldwide, enough to put a sequel on the fast-track.

Ayer is now developing a project that reunites him with Robbie and focuses on the female villains of the DC Universe.

Squad told the story of villains such as Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.

The fact that Gibson, riding high thanks to his Oscar-nominated war movie Hacksaw Ridge, is being courted by Warners marks a remarkable turnaround for the actor-director. His image took a hit in the 2000s after a drunk driving arrest and anti-Semitic comments, and he found himself losing studio work.

Gibson did nab a cameo in The Hangover: Part II - a movie being by Warners - but a backlash within the studio and parts of the cast ended with him being unceremoniously dropped.

But Hacksaw is seen as a major turning point for Gibson. His biopic of conscientious objector Desmond Doss nabbed six Oscar nominations, including one for Gibson for best director, and has made $164 million worldwide.

And he has found himself fielding a slew of offers, both from studios and indies. He is now in talks to join Will Ferrell and Mark Walhberg for Paramount's Daddy’s Home 2 and is reteaming with Hacksaw actor Vince Vaughn for the gritty crime indie Dragged Across Concrete.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-courts-mel-gibson-suicide-squad-sequel-974436

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Gibson's a pretty solid director.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd prefer Gibson on the Batman, something serious in nature since he knows how to do drama

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

The Gibson's a pretty solid director.

I should've phrased that post better, I don't think is a bad idea and I'm actually impressed by WB swinging for the fences by approaching Gibson. Certainly it would be something to behold.

Also, I found interesting the timing of this note after all the doom and gloom that the rumor about Affleck caused on the usual places.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I should've phrased that post better, I don't think is a bad idea and I'm actually impressed by WB swinging for the fences by approaching Gibson. Certainly it would be something to behold.

Also, I found interesting the timing of this note after all the doom and gloom that the rumor about Affleck caused on the usual places.

The big problem seems to be the DC execs loving things up by imposing their own poo poo. I have no idea how good Suicide Squad 1 might have been, but studio interference really made it about as bad as it possibly could. Even with Gibson on it, if the execs try to flip their dicks around, it's not going to be interesting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I doubt Gibson is going to be super interested. He's on record hating the current trend of comic book movies.

It's an interesting pick by WB though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is his opportunity to say something about it then. But like I feel, he needs serious subject matter and hero. Not sure who but would be nice to be someone or a team not obvious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What Jewish villains could they use for Suicide Squad 2 though?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I read somewhere that Ridley Scott was one of the directors interested in the next Batman movie. I really want to see that happen, just like David Fincher's World War Z 2.

How will Gibson secretly make Suicide Squad 2 into a Christian movie, though?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

The big problem seems to be the DC execs loving things up by imposing their own poo poo. I have no idea how good Suicide Squad 1 might have been, but studio interference really made it about as bad as it possibly could. Even with Gibson on it, if the execs try to flip their dicks around, it's not going to be interesting.

what did studio interference do to suicide squad?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What Jewish villains could they use for Suicide Squad 2 though?

Not really a villain, but recently the comics have right out said that The Phantom Stranger is literally Judas.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ridley's been on WB's list since Man of Steel. They really want him to direct a superhero movie for them, and it wouldn't surprise me if the fact that they've willingly tossed a lot into Blade Runner 2049 is part of them trying to entice him to make something. But I don't think they've ever gotten to the point where they've out and out asked him.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Martin Scorsese' Gambit movie is looking sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Wasn't a pretty decent part of the issue that the whole process of the movie was rushed as gently caress? I heard somewhere that the script was thrown together in just a few weeks.

• Locked thread