Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Febreeze posted:

Its probably the commercials more than the between play pauses. Always thought football did a good job filling the gaps between plays with quality replay and commentary analysis, but the obscene numbers of repetitive commercial breaks are such a turn off in an age where streaming exists.

It's exactly this.

The worst thing in all of sports is score, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. Between plays is great for replays, I just wish they'd commentate more on analyzing schemes for plays than just the ballcarrier.

This is the main thing missing from basketball. Every other trip down the court could be analyzed but we only get a break down of one play when coming back from a commercial break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bemis posted:

Why? Did you forget what team this was?

The steelers did the same with Bell and Goodell can't afford to offend the blue blood owners or he is out of a job and with him his whole gang of shitlers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Did you just compare him to Hitler? As a German?

You really have zero self awareness JFC

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Did you just compare him to Hitler? As a German?

You really have zero self awareness JFC

It makes more sense if you remember that GC views Hitler as someone who did great things for the economy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Chichevache posted:

It makes more sense if you remember that GC views Hitler as someone who did great things for the economy.

Nah I'm strictly against public work projects.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/status/831597275478687744

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Atlanta's zoo had an online contest to name a baby panda a few years ago.

"Bling Bling the Panda" won.

They didn't go through with it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Missed opportunity to not use the Namaque rain frog.

Flimflam Man
Apr 18, 2007

My strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it.
The only remaining creature alive on this planet after the inevitable apocalypse is going to be Tom Brady, the hissing cockroach.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

big news

https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/831957779334234114

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
POST THE GIF

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Malcolm Butler’s life story is going to get the Blind Side treatment.

Who plays Bill Belichick?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Either Bill Duke or Yaphet Kotto.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Anthony Hopkins

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bill Murray.

Nov 6, 2002

... and featuring Will Smith as Richard Sherman.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And we can just sub in a different TFFer for each scene Matt Patricia is in.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo

Why is he smelling the cup?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

bvlah posted:

Why is he smelling the cup?

because he's day drinking wine

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'm happy for Chad Henne. Found a good job where he doesn't have to try real hard but he keeps getting paid.

Nov 6, 2002

The American Dream

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Checkdown Chad, while in no way a starter, is the kind of veteran QB who is probably decent as a qb.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I thought Chad has been out of the league for like 3 years now?!?!?

Uhhhhh, ok Jags!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A Man and his dog posted:

He's been on the Jags, so I can understand your confusion.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

A Man and his dog posted:

Uhhhhh, ok Jags!

The Henne wagon haes no braeks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Melissa Mccarthy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Febreeze posted:

Its probably the commercials more than the between play pauses. Always thought football did a good job filling the gaps between plays with quality replay and commentary analysis, but the obscene numbers of repetitive commercial breaks are such a turn off in an age where streaming exists.

Yeah, I did hear rumors on here about 4 breaks/quarter instead of 5 (which is already higher compared to the other three major timed sports*).

Basketball (pro): 6/24 minute half, or one every 4 minutes.
Hockey: 3/20 minute period, or one every 6.67 minutes
Soccer: none/half (insert smug here)
Football (Currently): 10/30 minute half, or one every 3 minutes.
Football (rumored): 8/30 minute half, or one every 3.75 minutes.

Hockey makes sense to have the longest average between commercials, given on the fly substitutions, and basketball having the lowest non-football average also makes sense given it doesn't have that, plus constant action.

:laffo:

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 15, 2017

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Tim Allen.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

At that Atlanta zoo bet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shoulda been a kid they named.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

iospace posted:

Yeah, I did hear rumors on here about 4 breaks/quarter instead of 5 (which is already higher compared to the other three major timed sports*).

Basketball (pro): 6/24 minute half, or one every 4 minutes.
Hockey: 3/20 minute period, or one every 6.67 minutes
Soccer: none/half (insert smug here)
Football (Currently): 10/30 minute half, or one every 3 minutes.
Football (rumored): 8/30 minute half, or one every 3.75 minutes.

Hockey makes sense to have the longest average between commercials, given on the fly substitutions, and basketball having the lowest non-football average also makes sense given it doesn't have that, plus constant action.

I feel like if the NFL was smart they would remove a lot of the commercial breaks within quarters and make the commercial breaks between quarters longer, to make it feel more like the other sports. The action within quarters should stay constant then give players breaks during natural breaks in the action. Sometimes we get 30 second breaks for the weakest reasons, save those for injuries and the 2 minute warning, or long timeouts.

At the very minimum, the Score/Commercial/Kickoff/Commercial poo poo has to stop and it has to stop asap because holy gently caress it is the worst

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chichevache posted:

Melissa Mccarthy

...poo poo, that's good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda been a kid they named.

Why would you condemn a poor goat like that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Febreeze posted:

I feel like if the NFL was smart they would remove a lot of the commercial breaks within quarters and make the commercial breaks between quarters longer, to make it feel more like the other sports. The action within quarters should stay constant then give players breaks during natural breaks in the action. Sometimes we get 30 second breaks for the weakest reasons, save those for injuries and the 2 minute warning, or long timeouts.

At the very minimum, the Score/Commercial/Kickoff/Commercial poo poo has to stop and it has to stop asap because holy gently caress it is the worst

"Yeah, but we may not have a chance to show ads then if we don't do it like that! :downs:"

I think the NFL should adopt what the NHL does: if you can't fit all three TV timeouts in (which can happen because there are instances where TV timeouts aren't permitted*), so be it. But of course, FOX, CBS, and NBC would have a loving fit over that.

*TV Timeouts in the NHL can't happen after icing, after a goal, or during a powerplay. They can happen /before/ the powerplay starts, but not during the middle of one. So it's entirely possible one could not happen.

e: Also, the NHL has a policy stating that a minute of game time has to pass before another TV timeout can occur. This is another thing the NFL could adopt, and definitely would cut down on the whole score/commercial/kickoff/commercial thing. Or they could go "there has to be a score or a change of possession, not counting a kickoff, after a commercial break before the next can happen".

e2: I think part of why the NFL likes to frontload (read: have them towards the beginning of the quarter) the commercials is so they don't have to have as many in the last five minutes of one. I still hate the example given though as much as everyone else, but I think that's the logic behind it.

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The vikings should back up the money truck to rick wagner i think

Dubious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 15, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dubious posted:

The vikings should back up the money truck to rick wagner i think

I liked the pre edit post more it was powerful

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Same.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

its been moved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Why do yall hate this man enjoying his dip?!

• Locked thread