Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

You're wrong on several points here. Rolling is completely disabled. Parrying works, but you can't cancel a parry if they feint which leads to a slowified heavy which leads to you lying on the ground taking bonus damage.

Oh yeah I guess you can't roll. I never tried to. Feinting being stronger against low stamina is a good point, although you can still block heavies unless they're unblockable (in which case you can usually just dodge)

DrGreatJob posted:

You cannot roll. Attacking is incredible slow. You can get knocked off of cliffs by blocking strong attacks. You get knocked down by getting thrown. Literally everything you do is affected in some way...

You shouldn't go near cliffs when low stamina, but true. Also you can still guard break cancel so it doesn't really matter what happens when you get thrown because being thrown in this game is often deadly no matter what

Good points though, I didn't know some of that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Someday matchmaking will get figured out by video game companies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barent posted:

You and Zaphod, but I digress. Just an observation.

panda clue is a bit fanboyish but on the whole he's an alright guy please don't lump him with Zaphod.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Glukeose posted:

Also generally, does anyone have good suggestions for how to lock down a Nobushi? Them and Orochi are the only classes I consistently lose against and it's getting under my skin.
They are in trouble if you can get up close. Try to use shoves or dashing attacks or just parry and move in to wreck their face.
Trying to trade hits on long range will get you kilt.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Minorkos posted:

correcting misinformative posts

feel free to report my illegal activities to a moderator if you think they're actively detrimental to the thread

i did that earlier and it didn't seem to budge anyone's views at all. also you're misinterpreting the point i made about defense

Hello, friend! Please try to post a little less inflammatory. You are allowed to make whatever statements you wish about the game, but think more about they come across. I would really appreciate that.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
So did we ever settle on a Discord server? Nothing in the OP yet and I want to be bad at this game with goons.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

panda clue posted:

ok here is the :siren: OFFICIAL FOR HONOR DISCORD FOR GOONS :siren:

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

Click that to get invited to the Official Something Awful Goon Discord, do the thing in the rules channel to get authenticated, scroll down to the #for-honor channel

grats, you did it. put this poo poo in the OP or something. you can even use this same discord server for like every other game goons play! whoa!

never gonna get put in the OP :negative:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Hello, friend! Please try to post a little less inflammatory. You are allowed to make whatever statements you wish about the game, but think more about they come across. I would really appreciate that.

Ok

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

panda clue posted:

never gonna get put in the OP :negative:

already done did it :frogc00l:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

rap music posted:

already done did it :frogc00l:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
rap music is at least as good an OP and Ubisoft is a developer and he has my full support.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Does anyone have experience with the Conqueror in higher level play? It feels like her lack of feint could be crippling. I'm doing really well with lots of parries on my lower mmr but once people start consistenly feinting that would get punished hard.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Wow this playerbase is getting toxic fast. Is this normal for fightin games?I've been called every racial slur ever in several languages.

You either die a fag noob or live long enough to become jew hacker
I've mostly had friendly interactions in the 1v1 mode, people aren't even emote spamming on victory. Been told I have no honor once though for pushing a guy off a cliff.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Glukeose posted:

Also generally, does anyone have good suggestions for how to lock down a Nobushi? Them and Orochi are the only classes I consistently lose against and it's getting under my skin.

Nobushis can be very predictable if you know the hero. If you get GB against a nobushi they'll hit a heavy, then follow that up with a kick. Always be ready to dodge left/right against Nobushi because if the kick hits you'll eat a free bleed attack. After you dodge the kick don't attack unless you're an assassin. Even if Nobushi misses the kick she can still follow up with the bleed and you might eat it while you're mid animation with a slow character.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So if I enjoyed chivalry but got extremely annoyed by powerplayers whirlwinding bent over 90 degrees and instagibbing me, is this worth it? Can a relatively old rig (fx6300 - radeon 7950 - 8gb ddr3 ram) run it fine?

Most importantly can I press a button to have my character scream madly?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i had a lot of fun playing the beta on a laptop (A8-5550M/Radeon HD 8550G if that means anything to you, it doesn't to me lol) on lowest settings. Like that it's not quite worth it at $60 but i'll probably pick it up whenever it goes on sale.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TorakFade posted:

So if I enjoyed chivalry but got extremely annoyed by powerplayers whirlwinding bent over 90 degrees and instagibbing me, is this worth it? Can a relatively old rig (fx6300 - radeon 7950 - 8gb ddr3 ram) run it fine?

This was my problem with chivalry, though the physics combat was fun. The waist bend and the archer snipers were frustrating parts that aren't here. The guard lock makes the combat more like soul caliber than chivalry or mount and blade. The spirit of the MnB bayonet fight is alive in this game. It's feels like a spiritual successor to bushido blade to me.

E: Oh, and there's not much yelling, but there are a lot of boats and menacing looks.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Psycho Society posted:

i had a lot of fun playing the beta on a laptop (A8-5550M/Radeon HD 8550G if that means anything to you, it doesn't to me lol) on lowest settings. Like that it's not quite worth it at $60 but i'll probably pick it up whenever it goes on sale.

it's $51 on greenmangaming.com.

Anyone have an idea how I could practice counter guard breaks, other than the advanced tutorial? I have done the advanced tutorial but found it super easy but still can't do it in a real match.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Getting kinda pissy about the Warden's superfast top light and area attack :orks:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TorakFade posted:

No, its the game's biggest flaw IMO

You can emote spam though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That reminds me, who other than Warden has a good zone attack for mixing into regular fights? I've had some success with the Zerker spin, but who else?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
orochi for one.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Captain Oblivious posted:

That reminds me, who other than Warden has a good zone attack for mixing into regular fights? I've had some success with the Zerker spin, but who else?

Conqueror has a decent spin attack that can catch people off guard since it might look like a regular light attack but it's followed up by a quick 2nd attack.

Does garbage damage tho iirc.

Edit: I don't know if you can confirm into a light attack combo with it. I haven't tried yet.

Double Edit: Forgive me if my use of fighting game terminology is incorrect. I am still learning.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Decided to learn the Lawbringer to see if he was bad as his reputation and man. Wow. Yeah this guy is bad. He's supposed to be the king of parries and counter attacks yet all his combos and swings are so slow the only damage that you can get is the free light attack from a parry. His shove and parry attack are combo starters but you're so loving slow you'll never get them off. You can't even get a hit from a shove and his stamina usage is crazy that if you manage to actually do something by the time you can capitalise on it you're jack poo poo out of stamina.

Even his unblockables aren't worth using because even medium skill level people with no stamina can parry them no problem.

Dunno, man. I consider myself a pretty decent Orochi, and Lawmaker is one of the hardest opponents I can face. He has instant parry recovery times, meaning if I parry his attack and go in with a super fast light attack, he's able to block it. Literally nothing works against him if he's on top of his guard break game. All I can do is feint him and hope he falls for my sneaky poo poo.

He's a very tough champion to face. You should keep practicing with him, because I really don't think he's a bad character. Getting parried by him and then slammed to the depths of hell by his unblockable is just insanely powerful.

Ice Fist posted:

Conqueror has a decent spin attack that can catch people off guard since it might look like a regular light attack but it's followed up by a quick 2nd attack.

Does garbage damage tho iirc.

This is a guaranteed Orochi fucker, because we have to constantly mash the block directional to keep safe from it. Our guard stance only lasts a second or so, and the duration of the attack is longer than that, so if you don't continue blocking that direction, you get spinned to winned.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 15, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lawbringer is king of knocking you off ledges.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 15, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Getting kinda pissy about the Warden's superfast top light and area attack :orks:

The area attack always comes from the same direction. When in neutral vs a warden, just always be blocking to your left. You have to still be quick to react to the overheads, but it makes dealing with the random swipes way easier.

Also, I think Lawbringer is actually very good, but he has a higher skill cap than most other heavies.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not 110% sure on everyone, but the Kensei spin zone has such long range that its almost perfectly safe if you're the right distance from your opponent. It also has hyperarmor. The Valk is interesting because it's a quick attack from one side to the other and you can cancel the second one.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

No, its the game's biggest flaw IMO

You can emote spam though.

The Lawbringer's emote spam makes it look like he's smacking dat rear end. It's almost as good as the Conqueror's pelvic thrusting.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

MadJackMcJack posted:

It's almost as good as the Conqueror's pelvic thrusting.

:ssh: The only reason I main the class

Added re: the conqueror's zoning attack: It is a massive stamina drain. Using it twice puts you on the very edge of your stamina bar. tbh I don't know how that compares honestly, but it's something to be careful of if you're clearing B in dominion using this attack.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 15, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Dunno, man. I consider myself a pretty decent Orochi, and Lawmaker is one of the hardest opponents I can face. He has instant parry recovery times, meaning if I parry his attack and go in with a super fast light attack, he's able to block it. Literally nothing works against him if he's on top of his guard break game. All I can do is feint him and hope he falls for my sneaky poo poo.

He's a very tough champion to face. You should keep practicing with him, because I really don't think he's a bad character. Getting parried by him and then slammed to the depths of hell by his unblockable is just insanely powerful.

This is a guaranteed Orochi fucker, because we have to constantly mash the block directional to keep safe from it. Our guard stance only lasts a second or so, and the duration of the attack is longer than that, so if you don't continue blocking that direction, you get spinned to winned.

The parry is because of his range, Nobushi has the same advantage. His unblockable from parries never come out fast enough to present a real threat because of how easily they're parried in return. It's like you sent your opponent a telegram informing them of your attack so they can prepare themselves.

This is a pretty good breakdown on his problems right now. https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/5u8550/just_some_ideas_on_the_lawbringers_current_state/

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

:shh: The only reason I main the class

drat straight!

quote:

Added re: the conqueror's zoning attack: It is a massive stamina drain. Using it twice puts you on the very edge of your stamina bar. tbh I don't know how that compares honestly, but it's something to be careful of if you're clearing B in dominion using this attack.

Pretty much all of the zone attacks are massive stamina drains, the Conqueror's is only worse because it's easier to sustain. That said, it's brilliant if you are getting gang-banged and you pop revenge, since you can just swing like mad and keep the enemy at bay until revenge runs out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not sure what I should be aiming to do as Valkyrie to deal good damage. None of her disabling combos actually deal damage or give you enough time to get hits in, so even when I use them it doesn't feel like I'm making progress unless it sends someone flying off a ledge.

EDIT: WHY DOES THIS GAME HAVE SO MANY NARROW BRIDGE MAPS JESUS :byodood:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 15, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure what I should be aiming to do as Valkyrie to deal good damage. None of her disabling combos actually deal damage or give you enough time to get hits in, so even when I use them it doesn't feel like I'm making progress unless it sends someone flying off a ledge.

There's nothing really much you can do. She under performs in every aspect of her hero and playstyle. You have to put in 5x more effort to get the same results as any other hero with her tools.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This game looks cool as heck is is fun???

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Been playing and winning/having fun. Mostly warden because I like the look and it's simple.

My key strategy is to find an opponent who is engaging my team and ruthlessly slamming my sword and or pommel into their blind side until dead. I also won a 1v1 by retreating into a wall of ai and then finishing off my opponent once they were worn down by the swarm.

Life goal is to fling someone off a ledge before next week.

For Honor? More like gently caress Honor. Am I right guys!? I actually appreciate that they designed a lot of tactically dirty poo poo alongside the Honorable dueling theme.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Internet Kraken posted:

Sweep the leg and drop a heavy attack or pouncing stab on them while they're on the ground, and chain that into the l,l,l or h,l,l combo, add another leg sweep if your stamina permits and use that to back off. Repeat.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Internet Kraken posted:

Roobanguy posted:

lawbringer is king of knocking you off ledges.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

The area attack always comes from the same direction. When in neutral vs a warden, just always be blocking to your left. You have to still be quick to react to the overheads, but it makes dealing with the random swipes way easier.

Also, I think Lawbringer is actually very good, but he has a higher skill cap than most other heavies.

The issue was that the combination between the light and the area sets up a hard 50/50. Basically what this one dude did was keep his guard in top the whole time. If I approached in side guard tried basically anything, I'd just eat the top light as it comes out faster than anything I had. When I switched to top guard, I'd eat the area attack. It was particularly aggravating as I was playing as Valkyrie. So even when I was on the ball and dodged my rear end off sneaking in light and dodge attacks whenever I could, I basically had to land 2-4 hits for every one of his just to keep up in damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dominion mode in a nutshell:

"Here I am fighting faceless knaves for Queen and Country toodle pip good show, what's this? Some dastardly Lawbringer has slammed into my flank out of nowhere and has now deposited me into a pit twenty meters away. Outrageous!"

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

1500 posted:

Anyone have an idea how I could practice counter guard breaks, other than the advanced tutorial? I have done the advanced tutorial but found it super easy but still can't do it in a real match.

What I've done before is duel a level 2 bot and only allow myself to attack after countering a guardbreak, probably easier if you can get a friend to help you work on it. The advanced tutorial is good for practicing the timing but in real combat you can't just keep your finger on the button waiting for it. I need to practice it again myself, been playing too much story mode ugh

Internet Kraken posted:

Valkyrie will never do GOOD damage as she is right now, she's more about slowly whittling them down. Actually one of her best damage sources is the bleed attack you can get by doing a heavy attack after deflect, very tricky to do reliably though

Or use her Javelin feat in Dominion/Elimination, thing does a fuckin truckload of damage :v: Can almost one-shot a berserker

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Indecisive posted:

Valkyrie will never do GOOD damage as she is right now, she's more about slowly whittling them down. Actually one of her best damage sources is the bleed attack you can get by doing a heavy attack after deflect, very tricky to do reliably though

I had a feeling this was the case. I can not for the life of me land those dodge counters reliably though, had the same problem with berserker. Can do it with overheads but left/right attacks either whiff with no counter or I get hit anyways.

I really feel like I should be trying to dodge into attacks since she gets directional guard but doing that reliably is so hard.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2017