Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RaySmuckles posted:

speaking of unpopular opinions, i really enjoyed Far Cry 3. its really fun to play for high scoring combos. namely, trying to find ways to combo entire settlements/assassinations in one go. projectile stuff was lame though and crafting was pretty lame. legendary beast quests were ok, not great, but not terrible.

edit: i guess i should say parts of FC3

As someone who played the intro to FC3 like two years ago, has never really touched another FC game other than an hour or two of the first one and maybe ten minutes of Blood Dragon, and is playing through it right now with no nostalgia for the game or the series whatsoever: Far Cry 3 is a really fun, really funny game, and I can't think of a game that does the open-world FPS thing better. The story missions are awesome, too. The crafting is dumb as hell but it's also trivially easy if you're going around capturing outposts and poo poo anyways, it's more of a check on whether you've visited a location than anything else until you get to the final unlocks with the quest requirements.

The intro sucks really bad, from what I remember of it. It probably is better in retrospect after playing the game for a while, since Jason and his friends are such unlikable douchebags off the bat and it's not until later that you kinda realize that that's part of the weird pseudo-satire Alice in Wonderland thing it has going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky is a superb videogame.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

Did you know that, according to Dante Alighieri, you will be locked inside of a smoldering crypt for all eternity?

before he goes, he'll spend the rest of his life in guantanamo with a food tube up his nose. nobody is allowed to talk that positively about da2

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

before he goes, he'll spend the rest of his life in guantanamo with a food tube up his nose. nobody is allowed to talk that positively about da2

Ever thus to Bioware fans.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

star wars rebellion was a fun game and i wish someone (disney i guess?) would make an updated version of it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

her

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
-Full voice acting is the worst thing to ever happen to RPG's.

-I actually like Planescape: Torment's gameplay. The art, however, is absolutely terrible and ruins all of the weird/wonderful stuff that happens in the dialogue. Spikes, blades, comically large tits all over the place, and the 3D character models are really bad.

-I put ketchup on my steak. Whoops, wrong "unpopular things" thread.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

-Full voice acting is the worst thing to ever happen to RPG's.

-I actually like Planescape: Torment's gameplay. The art, however, is absolutely terrible and ruins all of the weird/wonderful stuff that happens in the dialogue. Spikes, blades, comically large tits all over the place, and the 3D character models are really bad.

-I put ketchup on my steak. Whoops, wrong "unpopular things" thread.

WHO R U TO UNEQUIVOCALLY CLAIM THAT PLANAR HUMANS DON'T LOOK LIKE SEX DOLLS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

This was my actual problem with the game. Everything about the art felt really annoying and gross.

e: also the dialogue was super over-wrought

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

does anyone actually read the hundreds of in-game books/scrolls/notes etc. that you find lying around in wrpgs

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
42% of ex-UT players are now regretful recipients of gender reassignment surgery.

88% of ex-Quake 3 players are now self-employed with wonderful lives filled with happiness.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

does anyone actually read the hundreds of in-game books/scrolls/notes etc. that you find lying around in wrpgs

TES-sized :words:? no, no, never. WItcher style blurbs yeah. Fallout stuff is usually audio so yeah

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
the turbografx-16/pc engine is a better console than the nintendo 64

also the n64 only had five good games, and no, goldeneye is not one of them

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
All Final Fantasy games are insufferably boring and if I wanted to read a novel or watch a movie instead of play a game I'd read a novel or watch a movie.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Il Federale posted:

star wars rebellion was a fun game and i wish someone (disney i guess?) would make an updated version of it

I loved this game, too. Unfortunately they probably think they already remade it with Empire at War.

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

Did anyone already express a fondness for Castlevania 64 'cuz that's mine.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Wooded Zacynthus posted:

Did anyone already express a fondness for Castlevania 64 'cuz that's mine.

Yeah but Legacy Of Darkness was the better N64 Castlevania game.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
There hasn't been a single good survival game.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
all moba players should be euthanized for the good of humanity

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
shadow warrior 2 is better than the new doom game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Maya Fey posted:

Only in like, Morrowind, where they're usually funny or interesting. Luckily since Bethesda hasn't bothered writing really anything new for their lore despite their newer games taking place hundreds of years before Morrowind I never have to worry about reading a book in a WRPG again!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Maya Fey posted:

yes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What does the "W" mean in WRPG?

I don't tend to play any of the Skryim type games because I play on PC and don't use a controller, and melee is usually really annoying on keyboard and mouse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
western

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
don't even get me started on jrpgs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
d r a g o n a g e
code:

.-''-.     
     .' .-.  )    
    / .'  / /     
   (_/   / /      
        / /       
       / /        
      . '         
     / /    _.-') 
   .' '  _.'.-''  
  /  /.-'_.'      
 /    _.'         
( _.-'            

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Final Fantasies are narrative heavy games with terrible, idiotic, boring narratives, bad gameplay and each one is worse than the last.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

lazorexplosion posted:

Final Fantasies are narrative heavy games with terrible, idiotic, boring narratives, bad gameplay and each one is worse than the last.

I realized this at the age of 13.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
IDK if these are unpopular or not; but they are my true opinions so they are likely bad.

Titanfall was a great game and anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Majora's Mask is objectively better than Ocarina of Time. If you don't realize this you should stop having video game opinions.

Undertale is fun, well made and has an enjoyable sound track; but is ridiculously overrated for what it is.

JRPGs are the lowest form of video game RPGs. The best series of them is Pokemon as it survives by focusing on a varied roster of party members and moves with remaining simplistic at heart. Final Fantasy is plain stupid and the best version of it to exist was the tactics series.

League of Legends is an objectively good game but is ruined by subjective experiences.

Starcraft is overrated because a bunch of white nerds wanted to copy a Korean craze to seem less lame. Anyone who talks about how great APM rates are is a moron.

BioWare was an excellent developer but they have lost it over the years trying to cater more and more to the fans who want every game to be a "who will I gently caress next" simulator. Their best games in the last decade are Dragon Age Origins which was the best of it's series and Star Wars The Old Republic which has an amazingly fun plot and many hours of game play if you can ignore the dated Warcraft mechanics.

Point-and-Click adventure games died far too early. The best Zork was Grand Inquisitor and they should loving bring them back. No not Myst, you will never do what Myst did; just make comedy ones and be done with it. Hey look free idea: Discworld 3. Fuckin' Discworld 1 and 2 were great do it again.

WoW: Legion is the best WoW has been since the start of WotLK.

Age Of Empires series is overrated and bad. Rose tinted glasses is all people have left of that series; just loving let it die.

The Long War and Long War 2 are the pinnacle of the latest iteration of XCOM and anyone who bitches the mods are too hard are obviously not people who want to play XCOM.

The best game to come form Westwood was Emperor: Battle For Dune. Like seriously people have you played that? Shhiiiiit. RA2 was fuckin' great too though.

Kickstarter is cute but too many devs sell out because of it. Make the game you want guys not the game people are vomiting extra money at you to make (looking at you Pillars of Eternity)

The best survival-horror games are STALKER with a few mods for eating/drinking/sleeping. Get hosed Resident Evil and friends.

Dark Souls is overrated. If you wanna be HARDCORE play loving Crawl you pussy.

The worst fans of anything in the entire world are fans of e-sports. No one cares about your opinion that GUYX is playing HERO badly asshat, he gets paid 20,000 USD a game while you burn 50 bucks a week on skins for your latest obsession that you will ditch once you realize you don't know what your doing.

Endless Legend is the new standard for 4X games. Civilization is a dead serial and now its continued existence is just trying to get blood from a stone. Civ 5 didn't get remotely good until the 2nd expansion and Civ 6 is a weak attempt to copy aspects of Amplitudes superior design.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
your favourite game..

... is bad

Artline70
Apr 23, 2008
Life is strange should have been a tv show. Same for all "playable" visual novels such as telltale's games. The choices you make hardly affect the endgame and the gameplay is non existent

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

telltale games don't let you determine the story. they let you determine the narrative. autists don't understand the difference so they will never "get" those games

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Kenzie posted:

This doesn't seem like an unpopular opinion at all. I haven't played any of the Witcher stuff though. I've seen loads of people complain about Elder Scrolls melee combat, and few people praise it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the Skyrim melee fighting is fun and enjoyable, especially with a sword + shield. I made a Khajiit character that's like a hybrid sneaky type and sword fighter. I think it's fun to open a fight by ambushing enemies from the shadows and then rush in and repeatedly bash them in the face with my shield.

what up khajiit buddy :hfive:

i just need the cat night vision to make sense of the dogshit dim graphics tho

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
pc gamers who whine about graphics issues all the time need to shut the gently caress up

edit: actually all pc gamers need to shut the gently caress up

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spec Ops: The Line was a pretty fun shooter. The story was pretty good but not as amazing as the internet thinks it is.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Space Crabs posted:

Nobody will be allowed to play Assassins Creed or any game featuring Zombies.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the only good and fun zombie game (the Resident Evil series is not fun at all).
Project Zomboid is unique and pretty fun if you play with the settings and make it babby mode, but it brings me to my opinion:

Games that require you to do as much work (or more) building, "crafting," and other bullshit while playing it as you might do IRL are not games. That's a job. You should get paid. You're a sucker. You're getting fat. LMAO

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Any game that requires extensive modding to be fun isn't worth playing. Customers shouldn't be expected to finish the company's game for them.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
VATS is simply not fun. I'd like the Fallout games more if they were just straight-up shooters.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Haier posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the only good and fun zombie game (the Resident Evil series is not fun at all).

if we're being brutally honest here, Zombies Ate My Neighbors is only fun for about fifteen minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Final Fantasy 13-2 is one of the better Final Fantasy games. They took the good parts of 13 and stream-lined it, then threw in a randomly metal sound track.