Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hi this has been a reminder that fun exists and is good.

This is a lie. Someone burn this witch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

A bunch of people at work got the RPG bug from listening to The Adventure Zone podcast, and they just made me run them through a session of Dungeon World.

They super loved it!

The Princess somehow charmed a giant spider named Chauncey into helping them take down Todd the Dragon when they fought it on top of their own burning ship over a lich's life-giving chalice.

Just spent 4 hours at a bar running some newbies through their first RPG sessions and they got into and are happy and want to make it biweekly and my otherwise exhausting and lovely day is so much better. :):

Hi this has been a reminder that fun exists and is good.

Your posting is good and you should feel good. :buddy:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Between Asimo and I and a few other goon we have essentially seen every edition of M&M stress-tested so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I certainly have some opinions about fiddly bits in that game.

Marvel Heroic I appreciate for its simplicity but the same time the mechanics mostly boil down to throwing handfuls of dice and shrugging which bugs me. I wish there was a little more think in the mechanics.

What did people think of Worlds of Peril? I backed it and had mixed opinions but it didn't leave a strong impression, more kind of a vague "that was a thing".

How do I make Raiden from Metal Gear Rising

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cross posting

BEDLAM HALL

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

Bucnasti posted:

Looks like Unseenlibrarian beat me to it but yeah David has a new game. I wasn't involved in this one (other than as a source of encouragement) because it's just not my bag, but he's been working on it for awhile and has really done a great job. You can expect the same level of management of this KS as the So77 one, so it will ship on time etc.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Haystack posted:

How light do you want? Heroquest 2e is my goto narrative system.

That's probably around my level (though I find Heroquest 2e really dense for a narrative game).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A friend of mine pitched a monster girl quest DW hack and its gonna be the last DW gamr I'll ever play

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some bloody genius on /qst/ (4chan's /tg/ quest thread forum) is running a Lego version of Constantine's Hellblazer as a Quest.

Behold

http://boards.4chan.org/qst/thread/1153912

quote:

In 1152, an alchemist named Abdul Abdulavichskison was said to have cut off his own hand and traded it to the world beyond. In exchange, he was given the power within his other hand to enscribe, in a tome bound in the flesh of infants which he called the Necrobibliograph, the names of the thousand horrors that waited beyond our paltry understanding of reality. When he was finished, the book would act as a doorway and the nightmares spilling out would mean the end of the human race.

Of course, that didn't matter to Abdulavichskison, who had gone bloody stark-raving loonie by that point.

On the case

edit:

Lego Quest has a variety of story arcs. Link to the past SEVEN years of it here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=lego%20quest

Wiki: http://legoquest.wikia.com/wiki/Lego_Quest_Wiki

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 15, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

SunAndSpring posted:

How do I make Raiden from Metal Gear Rising

High Fighting and Speed, some sort of super-speed with extra defense boost/maybe resistance to bullets, an attack with lots of pierce and common gear sombrero.

I mean, I'm not gonna do a full character, especially since I haven't done one in a long time, but that's basically it. Depends on the Power Level.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Latest blogpost for The Next Project is up, this time talking about backgrounds (Knowledge Skills, Performance Skills, and Power Sources.)

So, if that's your kind of thing, give it a read! The list of skills hews kinda close to 4e, but does dip a little into 3.5 territory.

On that note, are there any must-haves that I left off the list? What are the goon-favourites in terms of background stuff?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know that I like the distinction between First Aid and Medical. I mean, I get the difference between "patching up wounds" and "identifying bodies and remains", but naming the latter skill "Medical" implies that it's also, or just, Advanced First Aid.

Maybe call it Forensics? Biology?

That's the only thing that really stood out to me.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know that I like the distinction between First Aid and Medical. I mean, I get the difference between "patching up wounds" and "identifying bodies and remains", but naming the latter skill "Medical" implies that it's also, or just, Advanced First Aid.

Maybe call it Forensics? Biology?

That's the only thing that really stood out to me.

Yeah, the basic idea is that if you're playing the general practitioner, you'll wanna dip into both skills.

"Medical" knowledge in the D&D sense would pretty much just be Clerics knowing about healing magic, Necromancers knowing how long a corpse has been dead, and Assassins knowing where to stab hardest, etc.
"First Aid" would be more intended to patch up plot-important NPCs and such, or stabilize the unconscious/dying; healing of PCs would lean on the more mechanical parts of the system.

At one point I had it called "Anatomy & Physiology" but I'm not in love with that naming.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think calling it just Anatomy or just Physiology would work better than a term like Medical. Anatomy would probably fit better if a doctor type character is expected to have both First Aid and it but other character types are only expected to have the latter.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have the itch to run 13th Age again and I want to whine about it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So run 13th Age again

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Reene posted:

Do you want to whine about the itch to run 13th Age, or whine about running 13th Age, or whine about 13th Age in general?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Do you want to whine about the itch to run 13th Age, or whine about running 13th Age, or whine about 13th Age in general?

What is this, Encarta 95?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY&t=14s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like you want to run 13th Age. Would you like some help with that?
/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

It looks like you want to run 13th Age. Would you like some help with that?
/

gently caress you Clippy.

On a related note I don't think I've ever read 13th Age.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I made the mistake of only ever looking seriously into 13th Age when I was in a post-4e phase being "done" with ability scores.
I had an "aw geez, not this poo poo again" feeling come over me; the general consensus of the game backsliding to 3.x also didn't help.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Reene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Reene posted:

If you're going to run it here in a non PBP format, let me know cause I'd definitely be interested

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

It's pretty okay. Its biggest problems are the same ones Dungeon World has, where for the sake of "feeling" like Real D&D™ But Better©® it brings in some of the dumbest parts of D&D-alikes. Fighters are underwhelming and class balance in general is kind of iffy, the Six Ability scores aren't really necessary but they have them anyway. Still, it pulls in enough D&D4 stuff, but doesn't use grids, and has a healthy enough injection of storygame elements, that it's not just yet another D&D rehash.

It's the commercially available version of D&D I'd rather play than any other.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One of these days I'll actually make that 13a homebrew I keep tossing around in my head.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What keeps me from running 13th Age is the realization that there's actually a lot of rules that are just subtly different enough from d20 that I'd have to pay attention to a close read of the book.

That's really more an :effort: problem with myself than any failing of the book.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the worst part about 13th age is that the glorantha book still isn't out yet

i'm not even that into the setting i just want those more involved martial classes i've heard about

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a crunchy game with abstract / non-grid positioning?

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Like a game that doesn't do it for the sake of being a storygame, but rather because it's designed to be the equivalent of D&D 4E but adapted for playing in a chatroom or PBP.

13th Age or especially Edge of the Empire are both on the crunchier end of the scale and have abstract positioning. Probably not as far as a 4E equivalent, but they're the best fit for your question I'm aware of.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CaptCommy posted:

13th Age or especially Edge of the Empire are both on the crunchier end of the scale and have abstract positioning. Probably not as far as a 4E equivalent, but they're the best fit for your question I'm aware of.

While I would definitely say Edge of the Empire is crunchy with abstract positioning, 13th Age is rules medium and kind of losey-gosey in a lot of places.

While not to everyone's tastes (maybe not even my own since I haven't played it yet), but I've been finally getting into Exalted and their 3rd edition is very crunchy with abstract positoning. Though, it's also more than a bit bloated so, again, may not be your thing.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, didn't see that part till just now. Disregard my second sentence.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

the worst part about 13th age is that the glorantha book still isn't out yet

i'm not even that into the setting i just want those more involved martial classes i've heard about

Having gotten to look over the Nocturne book more, I have to say that I really dig the classes in there a lot too. One's kind of a mage class but mostly relies on building a battle construct to fight for them. One eats ghosts and uses powers derived from that to fight. And the last one is a Blade-style monster-hunter-who-is-also-sort-of-a-monster. I'd throw all of them in a pool alongside the Glorantha classes (when they come out) and the regular 13th age classes if I ran a game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Having gotten to look over the Nocturne book more, I have to say that I really dig the classes in there a lot too. One's kind of a mage class but mostly relies on building a battle construct to fight for them. One eats ghosts and uses powers derived from that to fight. And the last one is a Blade-style monster-hunter-who-is-also-sort-of-a-monster. I'd throw all of them in a pool alongside the Glorantha classes (when they come out) and the regular 13th age classes if I ran a game

poo poo i completely forgot that even came out, how's the world fluff?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

poo poo i completely forgot that even came out, how's the world fluff?

It's wallpapered-over Ravenloft. I like Ravenloft so it's all cool to me. The new races are werebeast, vampire, and "sallowfolk" (artificial human, aka Frankenstein's monster).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Reading The Sprawl has made me realize that there are several design features of PbtA that I'd like to see become standard in roleplaying games, but without just converting everything to PbtA.

MC Moves, for instance. Not every game needs to have the GM work off of fronts and refrain from statting NPCs entirely, but PbtA makes it clear to the GM that you only need to act against the players when they fail. I've seen other games try to have some kind of token system where the GM has resources to spend to hinder the players, but it doesn't make much sense to me in a context where it's understood that the GM controls the universe and acts against the PCs whenever they think it's appropriate.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of these days I'll actually make that 13a homebrew I keep tossing around in my head.

What would you add/subtract/modify from 13th Age?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm working on it. It's meant to be more about pick-up-and-play than crunchy character construction, but I'm aiming for engaging combat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been running 13th Age organized play for about three years now. We're going to stop after this season and start doing some Shadowrun mainly just to play something else.

Of course this means I'll have to start writing my own adventures and stating up NPCs again. I haven't done that in ages due to organized play or running Fate/PbtA stuff I don't really prep for.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's wallpapered-over Ravenloft. I like Ravenloft so it's all cool to me. The new races are werebeast, vampire, and "sallowfolk" (artificial human, aka Frankenstein's monster).

thanks, i've always liked the idea of ravenloft but the only books for it being an edition i had next to zero knowledge in made giving the setting a genuine attempt to read through a struggle

guess i'm picking up nocturne soon then

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

What would you add/subtract/modify from 13th Age?

Redesigns to some of the non-casters, but moreso then that, my own dumb class ideas that are like 90% based off of ToME classes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

thanks, i've always liked the idea of ravenloft but the only books for it being an edition i had next to zero knowledge in made giving the setting a genuine attempt to read through a struggle

guess i'm picking up nocturne soon then

I should add that as a bonus it avoids a lot of the dumber/poorly-executed bits of Ravenloft like the magical gypsy race and sanity rules

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I should add that as a bonus it avoids a lot of the dumber/poorly-executed bits of Ravenloft like the magical gypsy race and sanity rules

someone please tell me that 5e ravenloft adventure avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Brother Entropy posted:

someone please tell me that 5e ravenloft adventure avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies

Curse of Strahd avoided reintroducing the magical gypsies.

I hope that lie helps you feel better.

• Locked thread