Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

every time I grip or flex my wrist

yeah it's ur grip dude. run through this checklist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWsoIgHzsEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Afraid of heights :ohdear:

"Now" is always the best time to confront your fears.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjht0ABq0k/

10 reps, go.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Homestar Runner posted:

yeah it's ur grip dude. run through this checklist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWsoIgHzsEM

I'll watch this later, but it's not wrist pain, it's elbow pain that's triggered when I flex my wrist.

Like I can do pushups no problem but holding a bar to bench press hurts. Wrists feel fine, occasionally a little tightness in the forearm, elbows feel like I'm pressing on a bad bruise.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Have you tried supplements like fish oil and glucosamine ? I feel they lubricate my joints and I don't feel so old

Didn't experts decide fish oil was bad for you now? A gym mate recommended glucosamine but when I checked my cupboard at home I only had glucosamine sulphate which I think is a very different thing.

First few years of lifting I was really into buying all the pills and powders.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I've read somewhere high volume chinups help with tennis/golfer's elbow by forcing blood flow into the tendons. So for the next couple weeks find a pull up bar and go to town twice a week.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

I've read somewhere high volume chinups help with tennis/golfer's elbow by forcing blood flow into the tendons. So for the next couple weeks find a pull up bar and go to town twice a week.

I don't know about high volume but one rep hurt like hell.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If it's anything like the elbow pain that I assume was tendinitis that I've been experiencing, chin-ups are a no.

Unless you hate yourself and love pain.

Which... I mean, we're here, right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

sassassin posted:

I'll watch this later, but it's not wrist pain, it's elbow pain that's triggered when I flex my wrist.

Like I can do pushups no problem but holding a bar to bench press hurts. Wrists feel fine, occasionally a little tightness in the forearm, elbows feel like I'm pressing on a bad bruise.

Didn't experts decide fish oil was bad for you now? A gym mate recommended glucosamine but when I checked my cupboard at home I only had glucosamine sulphate which I think is a very different thing.

First few years of lifting I was really into buying all the pills and powders.

whats bad about fish oil

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The same thing as vaccines probably.

Probably just tendinitis if the elbow pain occurs with pressing and/or chins. NSAIDS rest ice/heat forearm strap. Cortisone shots are good.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Fish oil has been found to turn from positive effects to negative on high doses, so instead of helping it starts to cause inflammation and heart problems. If you're taking few capsules/teaspoons a day you're fine.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just eat some fish.

tinned fishes are super handy if you find a decent brand, herring, sardines, tuna; get it in yer mouth!

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

I've had this before. In my experience, elbow and wrist pain are usually interrelated (one overcompensating for the other).

The reason I linked the above video is because it details a variety of methods to adjust your grip to alleviate the pain, including bench press and others. :cheers:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

I had a similar kind of pain and what ended up helping a lot was doing ulnar nerve flossing. worth a shot doesn't take long and you can tell immediately if itll help

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Homestar Runner posted:

The reason I linked the above video is because it details a variety of methods to adjust your grip to alleviate the pain, including bench press and others. :cheers:

Unfortunately none of the things he mentions are problems for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tolkien minority posted:

I had a similar kind of pain and what ended up helping a lot was doing ulnar nerve flossing. worth a shot doesn't take long and you can tell immediately if itll help

Interesting...

lol this loving guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TignMINnwCc

sassassin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 17, 2017

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

First time I've been sick in 2 years and I still went to the gym. Eliminated my headache after 10 minutes of cardio and actually got a good lift in.

Am I being stupid? Will it just make me sicker?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumHnau7GRI

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
What we're you sick with? Generally if it's a cold or worse I find it better just to stay home. Missing a couple days won't kill you and you'll get over it faster.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

lifted a weight

didnt fit in my dress shirt

drat

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Tried to work out this morning. Get the second set of my first exercise done, set up for set 3 and they evacuated the building, water main break.

Still shut down until tomorrow. Been unusually tired all day. If I don't work out, apparently I just don't function anymore.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Smeed posted:

What we're you sick with? Generally if it's a cold or worse I find it better just to stay home. Missing a couple days won't kill you and you'll get over it faster.

Extreme allergies that turned into a fever and my head feeling like it has sand in it.

I slept in and almost didn't go but the guilt of not going was too much.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Huh. I don't think I have any allergies so I'm not sure if that's OK or not. But if it's not contagious and you feel better after then go for it IMO.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I can't each zuchini. Any alternative ingredients?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Khorne posted:

There's always yellow squash. Or, obviously it would add carbs, but regular spaghetti or fettuccine noodles would go great with all of it!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i just boil entire chickens and then mix them up in a blender until it's liquid and then I fill my entire freezer with liquid chicken and then

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

salami

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im cutting

no more salami

the salami lifestyle...is over

for now...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Neural gliding, lmfao

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Zzulu posted:

im cutting

no more salami

for now...

Get out

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Was on the treadmill for about 5 minutes yesterday when out of nowhere the guy sprinting two down shouted "Feel it! Live it!" and then nothing for 10 minutes until he got off and went into the bathroom.

He was p fit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

im cutting

no more salami

for now...

:negative:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cage posted:

Was on the treadmill for about 5 minutes yesterday when out of nowhere the guy sprinting two down shouted "Feel it! Live it!" and then nothing for 10 minutes until he got off and went into the bathroom.

He was p fit.

You should have followed his example, repeated it a minute later for someone else to hear, started a chain like the Five Monkeys Experiment

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Good video except the dumb totally out of place jump scare at the beginning. Don't do that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tolkien minority posted:

It's definitely ulnar nerve something but I don't know if the flossing is helping as I did some this morning and now righty hurts just like lefty (instead of not as bad).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That's because ulnar nerve (or any other nerve) flossing is bullshit. You're not going to release anything doing range of motion exercises.

Doctor of physical therapy degrees are one of the worst examples of credential creep ever. They're so far up each other's asses it's not even funny.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i lifted a weight

i like landmine presses

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's definitely ulnar nerve something but I don't know if the flossing is helping as I did some this morning and now righty hurts just like lefty (instead of not as bad).

Ianad a doctor but probably don't do it if it makes it hurt worse

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's because ulnar nerve (or any other nerve) flossing is bullshit. You're not going to release anything doing range of motion exercises.

Doctor of physical therapy degrees are one of the worst examples of credential creep ever. They're so far up each other's asses it's not even funny.

It helped me :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tolkien minority posted:

Ianad a doctor but probably don't do it if it makes it hurt worse

During it felt good in that I could feel a pull in the exact place I get pain so it was like scratching an elusive itch.

Righty didn't get a bit tender till a few hours later. Lefty feels possibly a little better though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm going to do glute bridges and seal rows. Ask me anything about being the stupidest looking person at the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Does he wear gloves and an arm-mounted smartphone holder?