Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FHM10162&mode=retail I have found Moola's new favorite toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Ah I see. I assume you snipped off the studs on the head pieces and pinned into the thicker parts of them, but that's still pretty fine work.

I think this is approximately the level most miniature dudes are working at:
http://axesandarrows.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-pin-miniatures.html

Hold the model in your hand and drill right into it with a 1mm drill bit and you are not going to have a great fun time.

What type of pin vise do you recommend?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I use the same old crapass GW pin vice I've had since I was like 14, but I bought a set of new drill bits.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's gobs of thickness, no issue there. We were discussing the ankle of Ten'ur Go, which was cast so thin that it bent under its own weight:

I could maaaybe manage to pin that, using my smallest gauge wire: #61 (0.039") but most people are working with paper clips or something.

Also note that's an image from Mantic's blog, not necessarily a production model.

I actually like the production model better than what they gave us.

And the ankle in question.

My concern isn't in the drilling, I have some decent drill bits, but I'm really not interested in cutting the ankle in half. My concern is that clippers or a knife are going to put too much pressure on one or both sides and angle the joint.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's nice that they made a model of transformers prime starscream or arcee though

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What type of pin vise do you recommend?

This one was recommended to me in the miniatures thread and has served me well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear, Styrene plastic is king, but metal is far better than restic. If you have never had to work with restic, count yourself lucky.

I've used styrene plastic, resin, restic of several formulas, and metal, and I rank metal the worst of the lot.

The only use I accept for metal is in 15mm single piece minis, like flames of war infantry, but even then plastic is better.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The point is that you shouldn't have to pin because multipart metal kits are a terrible idea.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cat Face Joe posted:

This one was recommended to me in the miniatures thread and has served me well.

That looks exactly the same as the Army Painter one I have, which cost a couple bucks more.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

My concern isn't in the drilling, I have some decent drill bits, but I'm really not interested in cutting the ankle in half. My concern is that clippers or a knife are going to put too much pressure on one or both sides and angle the joint.

Maybe, if you are careful, you can drill op through the complete model? Maybe if you took a bit of the stone away first? If you really want to take it apart and pin it normally, use a jeweller's saw, not a clipper or knife.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Miniatures that require scenery on their bases just to stand up are terrible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HardCoil posted:

Maybe, if you are careful, you can drill op through the complete model? Maybe if you took a bit of the stone away first? If you really want to take it apart and pin it normally, use a jeweller's saw, not a clipper or knife.

At that point I may as well just melt the thing down and make some earrings. There's no way I'm getting to the bottom of the foot by "taking a bit of stone away first". I don't own a jeweller's saw and I'm not about to go and buy one. I'm standing by what I said originally. It's a poorly designed model.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Oh it's absolutely terribly designed, no argument there.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I used to think polystyrene plastic could hold a candle to metal when it came to detail, then I got my hands on the metal minis from Infinity's Red Veil box. Now all polystyrene models just look like lego.

That said most of my experience with polystyrene models is from GW to whom models looking like literal toys seems to be an intended aesthetic.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Knight Models recently switched to CAD and have started to design their metals with much better joints to get around the need to pin everything.

That said, Suicide Squad Katana was a nightmare, lots of people lose her hand while removing it from the sprue, and that is before lining up three components to glue at once. Good luck pinning them.

In other news they just admitted to losing the Marvel licence after launching a new game last year. Bets on who gets it next?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ugleb posted:

Bets on who gets it next?

Hasbro

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That miniature is just plainly badly designed. The sculpt is actually cool and well done, but they really don't seem to have given much consideration to its continued existence. I would hate to try and work out how to pin or brace the leg. If I had to I would probably use greenstuff to make a mold of that leg, cut it off at the knee and the rock and run a sturdy pin between them, and then recast the leg around that. In reality I would just put it in my backlog and never do anything with it like my other frustrating projects.

There are some things that metal is good/ok for. I notice that styrene plastic, while a great material, seems to be limited because the casting process doesn't seem to support undercuts very well. Normally this isn't a huge issue, you can arrange the parts so that it doesn't conflict, but it does seem like a problem on making one-piece models - I notice parts of models seem to be slightly oddly shaped or elongated to fit the casting process (it is also possible that this is just because GW is bad at doing things, but its an issue that seems to apply just to the plastic kits so I assume its related). Meanwhile it seems like metal molds have more give and can handle those undercuts. So it makes metal sometimes a superior material if you want to make one-piece models with relatively good details, like this guy.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

Knight Models recently switched to CAD and have started to design their metals with much better joints to get around the need to pin everything.

That said, Suicide Squad Katana was a nightmare, lots of people lose her hand while removing it from the sprue, and that is before lining up three components to glue at once. Good luck pinning them.

In other news they just admitted to losing the Marvel licence after launching a new game last year. Bets on who gets it next?

Whats the story there?

I was always a bigger Marvel fan, but I enjoyed the Arkham games and sometimes had an eye on their Batman minis.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Whats the story there?

I was always a bigger Marvel fan, but I enjoyed the Arkham games and sometimes had an eye on their Batman minis.

Knight has a bad habit of signing short term licensing deals, pumping out and selling as many minis as they possibly can and then getting scooped by a larger company with more resources.

The answer to the question is obvious, it's probably Fantasy Flight. They've had a good working relationship with Disney over the SW stuff for miniatures games, doing a Marvel game would be the next natural step.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I was just thinking about that the other day. Given their relationship and success so far, why don't they have a Marvel based miniatures game and LCG yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Apparently Knight acquired the Marvel licence first just put out a few character sculpts with no game attached.

They then went on to make Batman Miniatures Game which is their main product line and didn't do much with Marvel at all while they grew BMG.

About a year back they launched Spiderman Miniatures Game which used the same rules as BMG but was direct order exclusive from their webstore. Which always felt like an awkward move and they released a handful of new sculpts while repacking some existing stuff.

A few months later they suddenly started to put out the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game using a whole new rules system. That got supported with regular releases until about 6 months ago when stuff just stopped being released for it.

Meanwhile, new releases started to come out for the DC Universe Miniatures Game which uses the same rules as MUMG.

While this is all going on BMG keeps getting steady releases and KM get quieter and quieter about all things Marvel. About 3 months ago community speculation over the licence ramped up and KM maintained radio silence, until last week when they finally announced that they had 'let go' of the licence.

Best guess - the renewal negotiations came up sometime in the last 6 months and Marvel/Disney wanted more money. I'm curious to see if they are over valuing it on the assumption that they could be doing xwing numbers on two properties in the same market.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I had never even heard of the Marvel minis until a week ago when I saw Thor in the oath thread. A google search lead me to a miniature market page with dozens of sold out Marvel miniatures 🤔

Given how insanely popular heroclix appears to be, it's weird that this company couldn't capitalize on the marvel cinema bubble's peak.

Maybe FFG could tap into some of that with pre-painted models from whoever does their x-wing range, but then we would get pre-painted faces and that's always pretty bad

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I had never even heard of the Marvel minis until a week ago when I saw Thor in the oath thread. A google search lead me to a miniature market page with dozens of sold out Marvel miniatures 🤔

Given how insanely popular heroclix appears to be, it's weird that this company couldn't capitalize on the marvel cinema bubble's peak.

Maybe FFG could tap into some of that with pre-painted models from whoever does their x-wing range, but then we would get pre-painted faces and that's always pretty bad

They could also go the non-prepaint route, they've done it before. IA isn't hobby quality, but Runewars IIRC is advertised as more hobby-focused, so I'd expect more detail and less bendiness there.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Knight Models do lovely sculpts and have made two games that people enjoy. They have two issues.

Firstly, their models are kinda expensive. I think they are good quality and you can excuse some of it for being metals, for low model count skirmish games, from a small company and a licenced product, but they could be cheaper and that puts some people off.

Their second issue is larger and entirely on them - their communication and marketing sucks. They don't even attempt to communicate their future plans to the community so there is never any pre-release hype for upcoming projects. Nobody knows what is coming up until a few days before it goes up on pre-order for release the next month (sometimes sooner). KM doesn't do gaming press or apparently any shows that involve a passport.

We know that they are launching Harry Potter in the next 1-3 months but nobody has a clue how the game actually works. There are some preview sculpts out there and nothing else.

I think the problem that KM have had in capitalising on the Marvel movies is that their licence only seems to cover the comics, unlike the DC licence which covers everything but the Button/90's Batman movies.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ugleb posted:

We know that they are launching Harry Potter in the next 1-3 months but nobody has a clue how the game actually works. There are some preview sculpts out there and nothing else.

And the four they've shown are kind of inconsistent too, quality wise. Sirius and Bellatrix look great, Mad-Eye is alright but Snape looks dogshit.

Saying that I'm still gonna obsessively collect all of them and already picked up some Gotham PD to use as wandering muggle police.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ugleb posted:

I think the problem that KM have had in capitalising on the Marvel movies is that their licence only seems to cover the comics, unlike the DC licence which covers everything but the Button/90's Batman movies.

I really don't see how that would be that big a limitation. I mean, maybe they can't depict the versions in the movie exactly (although I think the GOTG were the movie version), but they can still depict all of the characters involved.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I really don't see how that would be that big a limitation. I mean, maybe they can't depict the versions in the movie exactly (although I think the GOTG were the movie version), but they can still depict all of the characters involved.

Some characters there isn't much difference, others there are. Again it's a thing I've seen cropping up on social media groups from time to time do it does apparently bother some people.

The Xmen range is probably where you see the most consistent difference, but for me the minis are closer to the 90's cartoon which works for me. Sadly we shall never get Professor X in a big yellow floating chair.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

This is described as 'a massive game of 40k' but I gotta ask. How normal is that? Because not only can the tanks not move for all the other tanks in their way, but I'm not sure they could get through the terrain anyway.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

This is described as 'a massive game of 40k' but I gotta ask. How normal is that? Because not only can the tanks not move for all the other tanks in their way, but I'm not sure they could get through the terrain anyway.
Not at all normal. That's a big, dumb apocalypse game which is probably 2v2 or 3v3 or something. Only the most masochistic of hams play those things. It likely took all day and no one enjoyed it, but they'll do it again next year.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is a tiny rear end table for that size of game. It shouldn't be that crowded.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I actually watched a game of AoS today and it was pretty awful. I could give a breakdown of what the hell was wrong with it but even actively following it and having the rationales explained to me it seemed like an utter trashfire. It was, apparently, tournament practise, but god knows how you have a competitive element to a game where the game can be won at the start of turn 2 by getting two consecutive turns and annihilating everything before it can fight.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

That is a tiny rear end table for that size of game. It shouldn't be that crowded.

yeah, p much. Plus the terrain is set up terribly. Like, I'm all for preventing sight lines across the table on turn 1, but you also have to keep open lanes for vehicles to move around the board unless you're doing a killteam game or something

e: but I usually place terrain to tell a story and build a sense of place rather than do the full competitive "each player puts something down and tries to gently caress over the other player" method (which I'm OK with, it's just not my jam)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

I couldn't decide if they are using a smaller table because it is a small-ish store (I have been there a couple of times for Batman tournaments, you can squeeze maybe eight 3x3 tables in there but it is very tight for space) or if they are just plain doing it wrong.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

I actually watched a game of AoS today and it was pretty awful. I could give a breakdown of what the hell was wrong with it but even actively following it and having the rationales explained to me it seemed like an utter trashfire. It was, apparently, tournament practise, but god knows how you have a competitive element to a game where the game can be won at the start of turn 2 by getting two consecutive turns and annihilating everything before it can fight.

I'm playing 1K matched play tomorrow night. I'm still not sure why but I'm going to give it an actual try.

I did this about six months ago and regretted it, but apparently I've repressed the memory enough to go at it again.

I'm bringing a gunline for bonus agony.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While you're there, make sure to kill a couple of jokes.

For us.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

While you're there, make sure to kill a couple of jokes.

For us.

:effort:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've seen a 40k apoc game in my flgs which was like 4v4 on a 12x4? I think? it was fully painted which was cool but my god literally no models look like they moved in 2hrs while I was heading back and forth from the bar to my game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Flipswitch posted:

I've seen a 40k apoc game in my flgs which was like 4v4 on a 12x4? I think? it was fully painted which was cool but my god literally no models look like they moved in 2hrs while I was heading back and forth from the bar to my game.

Apocalypse is the worst loving thing

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They do an Apocalypse game at my FLGS once a year and afterwards they always post a list of ways to make it more enjoyable for the following year. The list is always the same, more breaks, longer breaks, and timed turns.

So basically to make Apocalypse more fun you need to play it less, which means the maximum fun is not playing it at all.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Why you would even want to have skirmish models in that numbers is beyond me. Even playing Fantasy a massed battles game, I'd always groan when playing somebody who wanted to play some 4K "epic" game instead of something reasonable like 2250. We'd get to turn three and it'd be hours later and I'm trying to to hang myself on the corner while they did their movement phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

I'm trying to to hang myself on the corner while they did their movement phase
Alternating activations is king, I hate waiting around bored out of my mind.

• Locked thread