Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

~Coxy posted:

Are these features RB4 only?
RB3 let you continue without a score if you failed, and auto-kick was in Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Orange Harrison posted:

RB3 let you continue without a score if you failed, and auto-kick was in Lego.

While true, the original quote was that RB1 and RB4 are comparable game play experiences which is so absurd.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/832032755814977536

who?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

FWIW, JasonParadise just comes across as a super likable dude who genuinely loves playing/streaming Rock Band and Guitar Hero, so I'm totally down with this week's challenge. :)

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 16, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spoeank posted:

While true, the original quote was that RB1 and RB4 are comparable game play experiences which is so absurd.

I think the original quote was "features in 4 that were improvements since 1".

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yeah he was rebutting the fact that RB4 is the same experience as RB1.

RB1 was raw as hell.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol Xbox, you are garbage.

Oops, forgot game mode on my TV. Got the video down to 32ms.

Also I am 100% sure this Rivals madcatz guitar is having issues. Anything over a moderate tempo gives me random misses that I'd stake my life on being hits.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 17, 2017

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also I am 100% sure this Rivals madcatz guitar is having issues. Anything over a moderate tempo gives me random misses that I'd stake my life on being hits.

The Rivals guitars are made by PDP; MadCatz peaced out. And they're incredibly well-made apart from how annoying it is to activate overdrive on them. It sounds like you still don't quite have your calibration nailed. I've seen literally nobody else complaining about those guitars either here, the official forums, or the subreddit (the drums are another story).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Beelzebozo posted:

It sounds like you still don't quite have your calibration nailed.

It's a possibility. I did the auto-calibrate by holding the guitar up to the speakers and then TV. It gave me the same results 3 times in a row so I figured it was trustworthy.

I don't really think it's that, though. I can 100% a Medium guitar song and 100% an Expert Vocals song, which shouldn't be possible with bad calibration. It seems like the Green fret needs a solid quarter second to "un"press. I can watch the digital fret on the game and it shows Green as "pressed" for a moment after I release. I'm wary of trusting that though because Rock Band is a hobbled mess of timings (Song coming out of speakers, game recognizing your inputs, and the actual real-life sounds of you strumming/drumming/singing)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hey there's a PAX party so if you're gonna be at PAX East I'd get tickets sooner rather than later okay bye!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rock-bandtm-10th-anniversary-party-tickets-32168463741

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's a possibility. I did the auto-calibrate by holding the guitar up to the speakers and then TV. It gave me the same results 3 times in a row so I figured it was trustworthy.

I don't really think it's that, though. I can 100% a Medium guitar song and 100% an Expert Vocals song, which shouldn't be possible with bad calibration. It seems like the Green fret needs a solid quarter second to "un"press. I can watch the digital fret on the game and it shows Green as "pressed" for a moment after I release. I'm wary of trusting that though because Rock Band is a hobbled mess of timings (Song coming out of speakers, game recognizing your inputs, and the actual real-life sounds of you strumming/drumming/singing)

You may be strumming early since a video offset of 123 is going to keep the visible target and the actual hitbox of the notes waaaaay misaligned. I'd suggest setting your video offset to 40 and tweaking the audio calibration from there, and double check that you changed the Xbone's system settings to uncompressed audio on the optical cable.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Kaboobi posted:

Hey there's a PAX party so if you're gonna be at PAX East I'd get tickets sooner rather than later okay bye!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rock-bandtm-10th-anniversary-party-tickets-32168463741

gently caress, wasn't able to get mine in time (barring any possibility of them releasing more closer to the event). :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Got this calibrated juuuuust fine on the new TV

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kaboobi posted:

Got this calibrated juuuuust fine on the new TV

Do you auto calibrate by holding the guitar up to the speaker and TV? I tried doing the Controller A Button calibration but I don't understand the "press the button when you hear the sound" step. Push in tempo with the beep? React as quickly as possible to the beep and push the button? It's a steady tempo so I eventually just end up pushing A in line with the beep.

And it can't be right because it gives me a -20 calibration while the auto gives me +130.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

You got a negative number because the original number probably had you subconsciously compensating in-game by strumming early and now your sense of timing is hosed and making you play early on the calibrator.
It's the biggest pitfall of manual calibration.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Yeah he was rebutting the fact that RB4 is the same experience as RB1.

RB1 was raw as hell.

I wasn't really trying to rebut, it's more like

You don't realize how tall the kids have grown until grandad points it out

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
This probably gets asked constantly, but I'm partially inclined to drop the money on an Xbone, pretty much just to play Rock Band 4.

As it is right now I've got Rock Band 3 on my 360 and a pretty sizable library of songs. Custom support has added a great deal of longevity to the game, though admittedly I play less frequently than I used to. I've just had one guitar die for good and my drums have been in rough shape for the last couple of years, so despite losing the customs (which have some serious quality control issues anyway) and all that comes with that, I'm thinking of getting in gear and finally getting Rock Band 4.

I know that there were problems at launch and there are probably still problems now (latency is a bigger deal this gen?), but having said that, is it still worth doing? I don't really ever see myself ever doing anything else with the bone, but I'm at a stage where my current equipment sucks so much that sooner or later RB3 is going to be toast. There aren't a huge number of glowing recommendations from what I can see in this thread, particularly coming from RB3.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

supergayboy posted:

This probably gets asked constantly, but I'm partially inclined to drop the money on an Xbone, pretty much just to play Rock Band 4.

As it is right now I've got Rock Band 3 on my 360 and a pretty sizable library of songs. Custom support has added a great deal of longevity to the game, though admittedly I play less frequently than I used to. I've just had one guitar die for good and my drums have been in rough shape for the last couple of years, so despite losing the customs (which have some serious quality control issues anyway) and all that comes with that, I'm thinking of getting in gear and finally getting Rock Band 4.

I know that there were problems at launch and there are probably still problems now (latency is a bigger deal this gen?), but having said that, is it still worth doing? I don't really ever see myself ever doing anything else with the bone, but I'm at a stage where my current equipment sucks so much that sooner or later RB3 is going to be toast. There aren't a huge number of glowing recommendations from what I can see in this thread, particularly coming from RB3.

If you mostly play drums, I'd suggest saving the money you'd be paying for the Xbone and getting an e-kit instead unless for some reason you REALLY want to play the Rivals stuff and join a crew. Rivals went a long way to making RB4 better, but at the end of the day a lot of it is just fluffy inconsequential poo poo that I wouldn't miss very much if it wasn't there. Your money would be better spent on a nice drum set, imho.

If you mostly play guitar or sing, then it's entirely down to whether you care about the Rivals features (they're fun, but not mandatory by any stretch) and the RB4 on-disc songs (mostly garbage).

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

kumba posted:

If you mostly play drums, I'd suggest saving the money you'd be paying for the Xbone and getting an e-kit instead unless for some reason you REALLY want to play the Rivals stuff and join a crew. Rivals went a long way to making RB4 better, but at the end of the day a lot of it is just fluffy inconsequential poo poo that I wouldn't miss very much if it wasn't there. Your money would be better spent on a nice drum set, imho.

If you mostly play guitar or sing, then it's entirely down to whether you care about the Rivals features (they're fun, but not mandatory by any stretch) and the RB4 on-disc songs (mostly garbage).

Admittedly I don't drum a whole lot, the drums are mostly for other folks who would be playing too.

Full disclosure, if I'm going to get the game it's going to be the whole instrument bundle because I figure if I'm going to get in on this, I'd better have at least one of everything. Trying to find 360 instruments at a reasonable cost in 2017 has been kind of eye-opening.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

supergayboy posted:

Admittedly I don't drum a whole lot, the drums are mostly for other folks who would be playing too.

Full disclosure, if I'm going to get the game it's going to be the whole instrument bundle because I figure if I'm going to get in on this, I'd better have at least one of everything. Trying to find 360 instruments at a reasonable cost in 2017 has been kind of eye-opening.

You're better off cracking your guitar open and fixing it yourself. I had my strum bar fail on me a bit ago but ordered a new one online and didn't even need to solider it into place. Though if your problems run deeper than that then it may be worth learning to solider anyway, I've had to do that to my drums several times over.

Don't buy a whole console just for one game, particularly one that can get as expensive as Rock Band, unless you really do have the disposable income to drop on a new console plus game bundle that costs as much as the console.

If you do have that kinda money just lying around, then go for it, RB4 isn't going anywhere and the biggest loses will be aesthetics, keys and customs.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You're better off cracking your guitar open and fixing it yourself. I had my strum bar fail on me a bit ago but ordered a new one online and didn't even need to solider it into place. Though if your problems run deeper than that then it may be worth learning to solider anyway, I've had to do that to my drums several times over.

Don't buy a whole console just for one game, particularly one that can get as expensive as Rock Band, unless you really do have the disposable income to drop on a new console plus game bundle that costs as much as the console.

If you do have that kinda money just lying around, then go for it, RB4 isn't going anywhere and the biggest loses will be aesthetics, keys and customs.

Yeah honestly the only thing that's stopped me from buying it ages ago was the need for an Xbone. It's a real shame that, unrealistic though it is, it's not possible to have all of my DLC accessible on my PS4, but alas. I theoretically COULD make the leap and buy it all, but like you said, buying a console for one game is a bit of a stretch and as much as I love the series, it's very, very hard to rationalize, particularly if the game is a bit half-baked.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/834055144635559937
At least it's not Off the Charts Pack 08!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Trash Boat posted:

gently caress, wasn't able to get mine in time (barring any possibility of them releasing more closer to the event). :(

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/834448669478965249

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Awersome, thanks for the heads up. Just turned on mobile notifications, so I should be good to grab 'em this time around. :)

Also, Weekly Challenge is freeplay with a twist:

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/834569218934898691

I sincerely hope the rest of you are also planning on spending the week playing Texas Flood on repeat. :v:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bummer, so next week is probably metal.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

That's... a weird challenge. And yes, metal, again, most likely.

Another mic gave up the ghost on me; now both of my Rock Band 2 mics are dead. I ordered another Wii U mic -- they make for great replacements -- and it'll be in tomorrow, so C-- and I will likely be singing harmonies for the challenge over the weekend.

Team Normals is in a really odd space; we can get promoted to Diamond pretty straightforwardly, but remaining in Diamond seems almost impossible. I looked on Tuesday to see if I could help out with any last-minue solo play, and we needed, like, a million XP to move up in the rankings? The whole distribution seems odd, and like you have to have 10 really active players to stay at anything higher than Platinum.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

atholbrose posted:

Team Normals is in a really odd space; we can get promoted to Diamond pretty straightforwardly, but remaining in Diamond seems almost impossible. I looked on Tuesday to see if I could help out with any last-minue solo play, and we needed, like, a million XP to move up in the rankings? The whole distribution seems odd, and like you have to have 10 really active players to stay at anything higher than Platinum.

This is exactly consistent with Team Curmudgeon's experience. We just chill at the top of platinum. They really need to do something new with Rivals now that it's reached Markov steady state.

Also everyone play hella prog this week

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

atholbrose posted:

There were only 50 teams in diamond this week and you have to be in the top half to stay in. I played a few songs on Friday, watched the XP meter go from 6th percentile to 8th percentile, and quickly decided it wouldn't be worth the effort.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ice To Meet You posted:

There were only 50 teams in diamond this week and you have to be in the top half to stay in. I played a few songs on Friday, watched the XP meter go from 6th percentile to 8th percentile, and quickly decided it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Ditto. Logged on last night and saw we were in like 8th percentile and just gave up

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Next batch of tickets are going up soon, very very very soon:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

And that time is now.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Was just about to post the same (and actually managed to grab mine this time around). :cheers:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
If I want all the previous rock band games' setlists on my ps4 version of rock band 4, do I need to own the physical CDs of rock band 1-3 for the ps3?

Also, is the rivals CD the base game, or do I need the base game plus rivals? Can I buy the game and get the rivals upgrade in game?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
There is no disc for the Rivals expansion. Physical boxes you see for Rivals are the base RB4 game with a download code for Rivals.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Deep Winter posted:

I want all the previous rock band games' setlists on my ps4 version of rock band 4

This is unfortunately no longer possible. All the export licenses have expired except RB3's. Even if you find sealed copies, the codes won't work. To export RB3, you'll need to play it on your account to unlock one trophy (can be on a friend's copy) and then go back to RB4's in-game store and pay the $15 export fee.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

This is unfortunately no longer possible. All the export licenses have expired except RB3's. Even if you find sealed copies, the codes won't work. To export RB3, you'll need to play it on your account to unlock one trophy (can be on a friend's copy) and then go back to RB4's in-game store and pay the $15 export fee.

:( Are the individual songs at least available in the store for purchase?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
They've been slowly re-introducing songs from RB1/2/Lego as standalone DLC. Out of the 170+ songs between those 3 games, there's....8 that have been re-released.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am so glad I exported RB1 and 2 apparently literally days before it stopped being possible to do so.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I'll be helping SRG run BATTLE ROCK SEATTLE again tonight. It's a great semi-competitive RB show that hosts freeplay and offers prizes to the best performances.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1813855735540229/
I will be there, but I won't be competing this time because PMSLammy and all my other bandmates can't make it. :( There will be a number of other great regular acts though who always turn up with the intention of winning and so you'll see costumed bands and other gimmicks throughout the comp segment.
We usually play with tons and tons of modded gear and customs, but lately we've been creeping into official RB news and as a consequence we had to nix the mods in return for the coverage. Not really the direction I would have taken but I'm not that far up the pecking order yet.
Show begins at 7 Pacific time and will run until the bar closes around 2AM (Washington State law). :shrug:
Not local? View it all here https://www.twitch.tv/seattlerockband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/836320513148477441