Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm starting to appreciate both Haze and Water Shadow for mid stance katana. While I think Haze is better overall, because it knocks the opponent down and sets up a critical and/or an iai strike, Water Shadow does a fuckload of damage with its slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
For soul matching, do I want both items to be at max familiarity before doing it or does it not matter unless I want to transfer a certain skill over?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Saw nothing in the OP, does clan choice matter outside of the crest protection?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At burning castle. Run back sucks. Boss kills me in one hit as soon as the fight loads. I spend a while grinding my living weapon charge. Die and lose it all to a yokai on the run up

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, spider lady doesn't seem too bad after a couple of rounds with her. I always somehow get caught by the instakill grab right before the killing strike. Does draining her ki just not affect her whatsoever? She doesn't even flinch from heavy attacks or grenades after her bar gets knocked into red.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At burning castle. Run back sucks. Boss kills me in one hit as soon as the fight loads. I spend a while grinding my living weapon charge. Die and lose it all to a yokai on the run up

The bird guy? If you open all the shortcuts, the run is very quick and direct.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
There's so much loot in this game, is there a short number of affixes I should be looking for before I trash everything because its kind of painstaking going through it all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

gently caress I actually got discord to proc on this boss and then he knocks me into the fire and triple taps me even though he was out of ki, this is my worst-feeling defeat against a boss so far

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Gonna be a turd and say I'm not sure where the Fallen Onmyo Mages hate comes from. I was expecting a slog but it seemed fairly straightforward. Seems pretty easy if you destroy the crystals underground.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress I actually got discord to proc on this boss and then he knocks me into the fire and triple taps me even though he was out of ki, this is my worst-feeling defeat against a boss so far

If you hit him at all while he's in the air, he falls down and you impale him. As soom as you walk into the room, hit him with a kunai or something. It's amazing. Every time he takes to air you can just punish.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

If you hit him at all while he's in the air, he falls down and you impale him. As soom as you walk into the room, hit him with a kunai or something. It's amazing. Every time he takes to air you can just punish.

Holy poo poo, thanks. This took the fight from death march to babytown frolics. Also his gear looks pretty awesome

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Destro posted:

There's so much loot in this game, is there a short number of affixes I should be looking for before I trash everything because its kind of painstaking going through it all.

Weapons:
Close Combat Damage (10% or higher)
Familiarity Bonus (B+ or higher)
Proficiency Bonus (B+ or higher)
Agility Bonus (B+ or higher)
Close Combat Life Recovery/Drain
Quick Attack Drain
Scaling (any relevant stat for you, B+ or higher)

For Armor, Divine Gloves can roll with Attack+, which can then be inherited by any other armor. So that's the only thing that really matters.

e: this post is entirely re: soul match property inheritance. if there's other poo poo you care about, do whatever floats your boat

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks. This took the fight from death march to babytown frolics. Also his gear looks pretty awesome

Yeah, your post reminded me that I'm gonna go farm him right now.

Edit: decided I would do it as a summon. Forgot how to get to the boss, host fell to his death after running around lost for 20 minutes.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Thumbtacks posted:

every single revenant on the lower floor of the second to last mission is wearing red demon armor. every single one. I have fifteen Red Demon chests.

The 5 piece bonus might be the largest dps increase in the game if you can reliably burn things. (People a few pages back were saying it was bad... but it lets me kill NG+ bosses in like 5-10 hits with all my other buffs, so I'm never taking it off.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Saw nothing in the OP, does clan choice matter outside of the crest protection?

That's it. Also the bonus goes up the more weeks you stay in the same clan.

Toyotomi went up to 12.5% more amrita and 14% more gold after a week. Base was 10% to each. :homebrew:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hope we get the moth spirit in the dlc

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm using the other spear set, the obnoxiously heavy one. It's not that bad, I think it suits my play style a bit more.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

lets hang out posted:

hope we get the moth spirit in the dlc

this but also mother loving william STRAIGHT UP HAS OUROBOROS IN THE CUTSCENE COME THE gently caress ON TECMO :supaburn:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This story is fuckin dope, I don't care what anyone says...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Gonna be a turd and say I'm not sure where the Fallen Onmyo Mages hate comes from. I was expecting a slog but it seemed fairly straightforward. Seems pretty easy if you destroy the crystals underground.

Holy poo poo I didn't know you could fight them underground first. I killed all of them topside.

And what makes me mad is not that all the Revenants are wearing WotW/Oni set, it's that they're not even fashioning them to look cool. The Hakama (or whatever the leg set is called) for Red Oni has way too many robe sections, you need to fashion it into the Red Sanada pants. Then turn off your helmet (or grab something like the Bandit's Headpiece) and you actually look like a badass.

Edit: Someone sell me on Ninjutsu. I specced super heavy into Dex with some backup skill and it just didn't seem fun. I tried Dual Swords/Kusarigama and I just felt like I was way weaker than I was with my Ki/Body build from before. Some stuff was cool, but I felt like none of my Ninjutsu damage items did enough to justify the 50 points I put in it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I got to Sekigahara and I have joined the camp that's all like "I have no idea what's going on"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I got to Sekigahara and I have joined the camp that's all like "I have no idea what's going on"

I highly recommend this Extra History series of videos for explaining all the historical events and characters being references in this game https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5A649vEQk37316BH8FsaU24

edit: Skip to part 6 if you only care about the events immediately preceding the battle of Sekigahara.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know you could fight them underground first. I killed all of them topside.

Yeah, they have pillars that hang into the hole under each crystal. I can imagine some of those surface spawns being a pain to deal with.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Snak posted:

Quotin cause same feeling here man, I love sengoku jidai, warring states, whatever you want to call it japan as a setting and it's almost hard for me to not at least somewhat enjoy something set in it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does anyone know if there's a Warrior Monk's Hood smithing text and if so who drops it?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

small hendren posted:

For soul matching, do I want both items to be at max familiarity before doing it or does it not matter unless I want to transfer a certain skill over?
It makes it cheaper if I remember rightly, but otherwise, it doesn't matter unless you're inheriting skills.

Anyway, it's taken me this long to realize there's a very good reason to go into Twilight Missions, even if you're not likely to complete them, and that's to farm the hell out of the revenants.

It's quite a thing to go from a level 40-odd sword to a level 62 one. :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I imagine I would like the story a lot better if I knew who anybody was, but it's pretty hard for me to keep track. Thankfully there is a bestiary for the cutscene characters and who the hell they are.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Smithing: Warrior's Hood drops from the same guy, it just takes forever.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Emalde posted:

this but also mother loving william STRAIGHT UP HAS OUROBOROS IN THE CUTSCENE COME THE gently caress ON TECMO :supaburn:
do you mean when he infiltrates the final area?

where's byakko and seiryuu

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yardbomb posted:

Red Demon and Warrior of the West are pretty much on 9/10 revs I ever fight, I fight all of them.

I just reached the fourth region and just about every Revenant I'm fighting now pays out in Red Demon. I used to get all Warrior of the West and just built up like that but I guess the game's gonna force my katana-waving rear end to change over to Red Demon at this rate. At least you guys make it sound really useful.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Relin posted:

do you mean when he infiltrates the final area?

where's byakko and seiryuu

Mizuchi and Enko. They messed up by not having Enko be lightning, but they had too many others already.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I imagine I would like the story a lot better if I knew who anybody was, but it's pretty hard for me to keep track. Thankfully there is a bestiary for the cutscene characters and who the hell they are.

I disagree. I think the story is entertaining garbage of the highest order, and is only improved by ignoring ham-fisted historical allusions

Reasons why the story of Nioh is amazing:
- The story works perfectly well with the assumption that William does not actually speak or understand Japanese, ESPECIALLY in the scenes where everybody is clearly speaking that. Look at him. You can see him not giving a poo poo. He just wants his fuckin goldfish back. He's the perfect player stand-in.
- People constantly deliver unprompted monologues with no relation to anything at hand whatsoever, to which William usually responds by either blankly staring into space or stealing their pokemon.
- Cutscenes have hilariously bad direction - like, camera zooms out dramatically with the heroes staring at the camera, filled with purpose, only nothing is actually there, they are just staring at clouds looking determined, and moments like this are somehow utterly hilarious to me
- No-one ever realizes Yokai are the reason for everything, this is like fuckin ScoobyDoo at this point
- There is an incredibly boss chain smoking ninja toad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
William's constant :geno: at everything combined with his incredibly powerful shovel chin makes not getting what is going on in half the cutscenes all the more funny to me.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Torquemadras posted:

I disagree. I think the story is entertaining garbage of the highest order, and is only improved by ignoring ham-fisted historical allusions

Reasons why the story of Nioh is amazing:
- The story works perfectly well with the assumption that William does not actually speak or understand Japanese, ESPECIALLY in the scenes where everybody is clearly speaking that. Look at him. You can see him not giving a poo poo. He just wants his fuckin goldfish back. He's the perfect player stand-in.
Pretty sure that the first encounter with the catbro leaves William able to understand and speak Japanese ( 'You should thank me for being able to converse in the tongue of this land' ) but he still just doesn't care anyway.

Especially when he poo poo-talks one of the leaders in English to Hanzo because he knows the others can't understand him. :allears:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fun fact: "Enko" is a slang term for young girls "dating" much older men in return for financial compensation.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Emalde posted:

Weapons:
Close Combat Damage (10% or higher)
Familiarity Bonus (B+ or higher)
Proficiency Bonus (B+ or higher)
Agility Bonus (B+ or higher)
Close Combat Life Recovery/Drain
Quick Attack Drain
Scaling (any relevant stat for you, B+ or higher)

For Armor, Divine Gloves can roll with Attack+, which can then be inherited by any other armor. So that's the only thing that really matters.

e: this post is entirely re: soul match property inheritance. if there's other poo poo you care about, do whatever floats your boat

Awesome thanks for this

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Helpful hint: Unlock the Ki-pulse-into-instant-Iai-stance skill as soon as possible because it's totally badass. Everyone you coop with will think you are a baller.

o.m. 95
Feb 15, 2017

Snak posted:

I agree. If youv'e ever played other Koei games like Nobunaga's Ambition / Samurai Warriors, they do this sick running theme with taking historical figures and making them extremely cool & badass with great designs and the spirit animals they have really push this. It's unashamedly ahistorical but I love it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I like when there's a boss cutscene and I'm with a bunch of friends and then when the boss fight starts all the friends have buggered off for seemingly no reason to let me do it alone thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

So I'm in NG+ and I'm confused about divine.

What's the trick behind soul matching divine equipment? In-game it sounds like if I combine a Sword X + Sword X I'll get a Sword X+1?

I'm sitting on a bunch of divine items and no idea where to begin. My sword has a A+ Spirit scale so Id like to keep upgrading it.