Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

limited posted:

Pretty sure that the first encounter with the catbro leaves William able to understand and speak Japanese ( 'You should thank me for being able to converse in the tongue of this land' ) but he still just doesn't care anyway.

Especially when he poo poo-talks one of the leaders in English to Hanzo because he knows the others can't understand him. :allears:

Oh, I know that Magic Useless Exposition Cat does that, it's just funny because it might as well not matter

Like, Hanzo just drags him along to all those doubtlessly important meetings, and William just sits there, alternatively bemused / bored out of his fuckin mind / scowling at nothing in particular / waiting to get back to the fun part of the game where he cuts apart evil umbrellas. Ocasionally he spots a glowing bunny, which he acquires after completing a sidequest in which a random historical figure shares the startling revelation that he likes honor and has a spear.

Oh, and don't forget the memories of the dead sprinkled throughout the main levels, which weave a rich tapestry of environmental storytelling via gems such as "WHAAAAAAAAAT MONSTERS?!" or "This is supposed to be Place of Worship #251, this is messed up yo" or "I'M IN DESPAIR".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

o.m. 95 posted:

I agree. If youv'e ever played other Koei games like Nobunaga's Ambition / Samurai Warriors, they do this sick running theme with taking historical figures and making them extremely cool & badass with great designs and the spirit animals they have really push this. It's unashamedly ahistorical but I love it

Though at the same time I'll say this, while I do love Samurai Warriors, Sengoku Basara and stuff like that for going goofy over the top with everything, I do actually appreciate Nioh being pretty straight laced with most of the guys in design. Ieyasu's depicted pretty good here, he's got some of the old man chub in the face but he's not a big old butterball. Mitsunari and Otani aren't any kind of flavor of flamboyant prettyman. Both the Tachibanas got to look nice and cool in their full getups. So on and all that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

So I'm in NG+ and I'm confused about divine.

What's the trick behind soul matching divine equipment? In-game it sounds like if I combine a Sword X + Sword X I'll get a Sword X+1?

I'm sitting on a bunch of divine items and no idea where to begin. My sword has a A+ Spirit scale so Id like to keep upgrading it.

In Way of the Strong (and maybe samurai? but i've never seen it and it would be increasingly rare) Divine+1-6 equipment will start to drop. If you soul match something of a lower+ to a higher+, it'll jump up (so 0 matched to a +1 will make a +1). If you soul match two of the same +, you'll get +1 (+1 and +1 will make a +2, create a different item with a +1 and +1, then you can mash the two +2s to make a +3, etc etc). Though this, you can infinitely increase the +level of your weapons and armor, but after +6 it becomes ludicrously expensive since you need to create new +6s and higher from scratch.

Accessories supposedly also drop with + ratings, but since +6 seems to be the highest anything will naturally drop at, that's where they would cap out since you can't soul match or forge accessories.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Oh, and don't forget the memories of the dead sprinkled throughout the main levels, which weave a rich tapestry of environmental storytelling via gems such as "WHAAAAAAAAAT MONSTERS?!" or "This is supposed to be Place of Worship #251, this is messed up yo" or "I'M IN DESPAIR".
I think my favorite of these are of Spider Castle, all either going "gently caress Nobunaga" or "gently caress our lord for pissing off Nobunaga and blowing himself up with a teapot".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So this awesome frog ninja really is a massive loving son of a bitch.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HGH posted:

I think my favorite of these are of Spider Castle, all either going "gently caress Nobunaga" or "gently caress our lord for pissing off Nobunaga and blowing himself up with a teapot".

Thoughts on Nobunaga himself? I watched a video of the fight and accompanying cutscenes, and really enjoyed how Nobunaga says "gently caress off" to the bad guy and just hands William his guardian spirit before buggering off back into the afterlife

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Everything that happens at the end of the game is awesome

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, your post reminded me that I'm gonna go farm him right now.

Edit: decided I would do it as a summon. Forgot how to get to the boss, host fell to his death after running around lost for 20 minutes.

You can farm him in a later sub mission where you fight him again, and the run to him takes maybe a minute or two, depending on if you stop to kill anything. That's how I got his set. I should probably try to get the smithing text, too, now that I have it for the Justice Ministry set. (Justice Ministry set owns, too. That purple coat :eyepop:)

lets hang out posted:

Everything that happens at the end of the game is awesome

I feel like they had about enough story for a game a third of Nioh's length, but they decided to put like 80% of it in the last third and so everything that happens then is rad as hell and completely rules.

Torquemadras posted:

Oh, I know that Magic Useless Exposition Cat does that, it's just funny because it might as well not matter

Don't you dare malign Nekomata, he is a good cat and he is my friend :colbert:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 16, 2017

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Don't you dare malign Nekomata, he is a good cat and he is my friend :colbert:

Oh yeah?

I killed him first try and didn't even feel sorry for it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oh yeah?

I killed him first try and didn't even feel sorry for it

:smith:

I also killed him first try but felt very bad

That said, I pretty much 100% agree with your assessment of the story. It's bonkers but extremely entertaining and everything that happens in the last third or so of the game just gets progressively more rad.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in Muneshige after everyone here said how hard he was. A lifeseal talisman completely trivializes him and I beat him on my second try.

Also Iai quickdraw is the best skill. If you knock someone on the floor you have time for a fully charged quickdraw and a stab.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Not sure if it was mentioned but the spiders leg husks that are needed to craft iga also drop from the big spiders throughout the level not just the queen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tarezax posted:

Thoughts on Nobunaga himself? I watched a video of the fight and accompanying cutscenes, and really enjoyed how Nobunaga says "gently caress off" to the bad guy and just hands William his guardian spirit before buggering off back into the afterlife

That was the best part of the story

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just got to then part last night where Tenkai takes his face covering off to reveal his true identity. Fuckin laffo. That's when I made the post about the stroy being dope.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aside from finally really clicking with katana parrying last night, I also got the Awakening mystic art and oh man it owns. I miss the cool talisman animations but being able to just insta-buff myself without even breaking my combo is awesome.

Eezee posted:

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in Muneshige after everyone here said how hard he was. A lifeseal talisman completely trivializes him and I beat him on my second try.

Well, to be fair, Lifeseal kinda feels like cheating in that fight. It really does totally trivialize him. That said, I also don't agree with people who say he's meaningfully harder than other samurai bosses. I just think he's tough for the point in the game at which you fight him.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone know if there's a smithing text for the Tatenashi set? I've been getting divine pieces of it off of revenants and random bosses but I don't know if it's tied to a specific boss

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess to get the bio entry, you have to beat bosses 3 times in their main mission, not whatever side mission they are in...

I guess that's fair.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JBP posted:

So this awesome frog ninja really is a massive loving son of a bitch.

Dodge towards and just to the left of him. Be behind him always.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Considering the toad's identity, I'm kinda disappointed he's not a lot harder. Smoking will do that, I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Considering the toad's identity, I'm kinda disappointed he's not a lot harder. Smoking will do that, I guess.

I think he's just out of shape. Look at that beer belly!

Speaking of, I wish there was a mission I could do where, at the end, William just chills and smokes a pipe with frog guy. Also I want to play as frog guy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eezee posted:

Also Iai quickdraw is the best skill. If you knock someone on the floor you have time for a fully charged quickdraw and a stab.

Well if you use talismans on bosses they are all going to disappoint you. Magic debuffs are absurdly OP.

Snak posted:

I guess to get the bio entry, you have to beat bosses 3 times in their main mission, not whatever side mission they are in...

I guess that's fair.

No, killing them in side missions counts. Except for ones that say "Defeat 'x mission' 3x." I got Onryoki, Hino-Enma, Nue, and Giant Toad by killing them in subsequent appearances.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Well if you use talismans on bosses they are all going to disappoint you. Magic debuffs are absurdly OP.

No, killing them in side missions counts. Except for ones that say "Defeat 'x mission' 3x." I got Onryoki, Hino-Enma, Nue, and Giant Toad by killing them in subsequent appearances.

Hmm. Well I beat Saika Magoichi once in Immortal Flame, and twice in in Watcher in the Darkness and his "defeat 3 times" bio entry is still locked. Maybe because you don't kill him it doesn't count? Kill is a vague term when many human opponents just take a knee...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Hmm. Well I beat Saika Magoichi once in Immortal Flame, and twice in in Watcher in the Darkness and his "defeat 3 times" bio entry is still locked. Maybe because you don't kill him it doesn't count? Kill is a vague term when many human opponents just take a knee...

If that was the case you'd never get a lot of bosses' bios, because there are many you only defeat but never kill. Maybe it's a bug specific to Saika?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I went into this completely blind and am wondering: Do I have to stick with the 2 starting weapons I pick at the start? I've dumped all my points into skill so far, using dual katanas and the spear but prob like to play around with other weapons down the line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boosh! posted:

I went into this completely blind and am wondering: Do I have to stick with the 2 starting weapons I pick at the start? I've dumped all my points into skill so far, using dual katanas and the spear but prob like to play around with other weapons down the line.

No, you definitely don't. You can equip any type of weapon regardless of your stats, and since every weapon scales with three stats, it's easy (and a good idea) to have a versatile build. The real limiting factor is samurai skill points, which let you unlock new moves for weapons. You'll have enough skill points by the end of a first playthrough to fully unlock two weapons, or maybe fully unlock one and just get some cool skills in two others. But you can try out any weapon you want to at any time.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Thanks! That was very helpful.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How good is the +damage based on agility bonus like on the bat guardian spirit assuming that I roll with A agility?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MMF Freeway posted:

How good is the +damage based on agility bonus like on the bat guardian spirit assuming that I roll with A agility?

Extremely good. If you can get an A scaling on a stat you've dumped lots of points into you can wreck house with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think +15% damage at A Agility? It's very good. There are guardian spirit bonuses I like better (Suzaku's and Tengen Kujaku's, especially) but if you're rocking light armor, Aya-Komori is amazing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Snak posted:

This story is fuckin dope, I don't care what anyone says...

I've said it before, but it's basically James Clavell's Shogun (insofar as they take the real historical events and fictionalize the details) except they pass it through the filter of Onimusha's style of Japanese Mysticism where demons are real things that you murder en masse.

The game in a lot of ways feels as much a spiritual sequel to the Onimusha games as they do a Souls game.

I also really do give Team Ninja credit insofar as they were able to turn off the blatant shameless tit and rear end displays that they have been known for in the past. Kind of refreshing to have a Team Ninja game where I'm not embarrassed every time a female character is on screen.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Nice nice, that's what I was hoping. I'm kinda done with the shark but I'll miss the enemy sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How rare is it to roll Change to Attack (Main Stat) on a divine weapon in NG+? My current sword at the end of NG is insane but since it isn't divine I know I'm going to have to move on eventually. It's the Iga set sword, so it has paralysis on it, but that's not the best part: it also has Change to Attack (Heart) A+ and Familiarity Damage Bonus A on it, and that's just what it had when it dropped, no reforging required. While the Change to Attack (Stat) special bonuses aren't as strong as a weapon's natural scaling even at the same letter, it's insane to have Change to Attack (Heart) on a weapon that already scales with Heart. Double-dipping on stat scaling owns.

I'm guessing that's the way to get a truly nuts weapon in NG+, so I hope it's not going to require too much staring at the reforge screen.

I also got the smithing text for my favorite armor set, so I'm looking forward (kinda) to trying to forge a divine version of that.

MMF Freeway posted:

Nice nice, that's what I was hoping. I'm kinda done with the shark but I'll miss the enemy sense.

Just pack some Divination Talismans. They give you Sense Everything and last like five minutes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Snak posted:

I didn't get credit for killing water blob (shows up as 0 kills in the bio entry). I think it's because he died from a DoT damage tick and not an actual physical strike from me?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of killing things for character bios/bestiary entries, I really wish that doing the right gesture at a nurikabe or mujina let you get the bestiary entries for them. I don't have a single entry for either of those because I refuse to kill them. The nurikabe just wants to be greeted in the appropriate fashion, and the mujina just wants to make friends :ohdear:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've killed plenty of them because randos I've sunbro'd with have no idea what to do and attack both on sight. People are bad at this game yo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Just pack some Divination Talismans. They give you Sense Everything and last like five minutes.

Whoa didn't even know those were a thing. I should get around to reading all those onmyo skills...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't done any sunbro-ing, so maybe I should.

People are really conditioned by Souls games at this point that everything you see that isn't something you can talk to wants to actively kill you, and that you deal with fake walls by hitting them. While that first part is mostly true in Nioh, I appreciate that the game includes some yokai that are just mischievous or even just stubborn instead of outright malicious.

MMF Freeway posted:

Whoa didn't even know those were a thing. I should get around to reading all those onmyo skills...

Yeah, onmyo magic is good as hell. Even if you don't use very many talismans, the skill tree has great passives, like Panacea Curefast (increases how much your Elixirs heal you) and Inanimate Enchantment (increases how long your Living Weapon is active for). And many of the best talismans don't require a high Magic skill to get the most out of. Divination Talismans don't need any stats to work well, nor do Lifeseal or Sloth Talismans.

Also Guardian Spirit Talismans are awesome. If you want to see what that does, try out those Moment Talismans you've probably been picking up--they're basically the same thing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 16, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yodzilla posted:

I've killed plenty of them because randos I've sunbro'd with have no idea what to do and attack both on sight. People are bad at this game yo.

I got genuinely upset at one guy who couldn't understand that he needed to purify the crystals in the "The Source of Evil" mission. I pointed at them and then he proceeded to just keep hitting it over and over.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

How rare is it to roll Change to Attack (Main Stat) on a divine weapon in NG+? My current sword at the end of NG is insane but since it isn't divine I know I'm going to have to move on eventually. It's the Iga set sword, so it has paralysis on it, but that's not the best part: it also has Change to Attack (Heart) A+ and Familiarity Damage Bonus A on it, and that's just what it had when it dropped, no reforging required. While the Change to Attack (Stat) special bonuses aren't as strong as a weapon's natural scaling even at the same letter, it's insane to have Change to Attack (Heart) on a weapon that already scales with Heart. Double-dipping on stat scaling owns.

Friend, you've just exhausted all your luck for Nioh because even with divine shard boosts you're not going to get rolls that good even on divine weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Friend, you've just exhausted all your luck for Nioh because even with divine shard boosts you're not going to get rolls that good even on divine weapons

:negative:

All I really care about is the Change to Attack (Heart) one. Familiarity Damage Boost is nice but not nearly as strong, from what I can see.

I'm guessing that rolling something like that is the way that you get really strong weapons in NG+ so I guess I'm gonna be farming divine shards and reforging all day long once I get there :v: