Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Worth noting left into the screenshots like the tease he is, Wiz has shown there's a new "ethics" type in edition to the 8 that already exist. Since it looks like a honeycomb and the next dev diary will mention hive minds I suspect it's that specifically hive minds don't have ethics of their own, because if youre playing a race of insects that are all drones controlled by a queen, why would they have opinions of their own?

Hive minds would be cool if they feature castes.

Indoctrination as a xenophobic empire should probably feature something similar. If successful it imparts a trait that can change based on your other ethics. So if you are spiritual the newly indoctrinated pops could view themselves as inherently inferior in gods great design, making them productive and reasonably happy with their circumstance. While if you were materialist or egalitarian they might resent their status in the cold machine of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

That one I interpreted as being somehow based on sector independence, because iirc pop-ups for sector alerts also use that honeycomb pattern.

That's a good point actually, it makes sense to have Independence as a ethics attraction in its own right

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Actually there was a food/mineral icon in the ethics box of one of the latest teases maybe worker caste icon?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hive minds should literally be a trait that does nothing and is completely indistinguishable from the current mechanics because every pop of every race is already a hive mind

And add some hive mind colony/swarm portraits.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stream started https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Some new tidbits:

- Core systems have been lowered to 3 at the start, increases with tech.
- Sector view has a tooltip showing what they are working on (buildings, spaceport development, ships)

E: I meant core systems, not sectors!

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 16, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

canepazzo posted:

- Core sectors have been lowered to 3 at the start, increases with tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTa6HMi3R4

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Stream started https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Some new tidbits:

- Core sectors have been lowered to 3 at the start, increases with tech.
- Sector view has a tooltip showing what they are working on (buildings, spaceport development, ships)

That's fine, most people probably put everything into one sector and forgot about it anyway. :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Libluini posted:

That's fine, most people probably put everything into one sector and forgot about it anyway. :v:

I usually put planets into sectors they are close to rather than lump them all in together. That just seems like it's such a mess. By the end of thw game most sectors will have 4 or 5 planets but I've never had an issue running into the sector cap - if anything I run out of governors.

Not sure how I feel about the core planets change... I prefer controlling as much as I can myself but I can't watch the stream at them moment so I'll reserve my judgement for now.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Hold on, does that mean sectors build ships by themselves now?

Core systems change probably reflects a greater number of terraforming candidates.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Libluini posted:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I usually put planets into sectors they are close to rather than lump them all in together. That just seems like it's such a mess. By the end of thw game most sectors will have 4 or 5 planets but I've never had an issue running into the sector cap - if anything I run out of governors.

Yeah I edited, my bad, I meant to write core systems cap changed.

Aethernet posted:

Hold on, does that mean sectors build ships by themselves now?

Possibly it means constructor/colony ships?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Outside of my very first game back when Stellaris came out I don't think I've ever used sectors. Just got a mod that lets you use as many core planets as you want. The sector AI is way too dumb to give control over anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Outside of my very first game back when Stellaris came out I don't think I've ever used sectors. Just got a mod that lets you use as many core planets as you want. The sector AI is way too dumb to give control over anything.

Curiously, that was what I thought back in 2003, when I started playing Master of Orion 3. Man, did that game cure me of this delusion fast. :shepface:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Why would you pick Afterburners over railguns or destroyers :psyduck:

I mean the new stuff is great but come on, man

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Libluini posted:

Curiously, that was what I thought back in 2003, when I started playing Master of Orion 3. Man, did that game cure me of this delusion fast. :shepface:

if you thought the moo3 AI was too dumb to give control over anything you weren't wrong

it's just that the game was also too dumb to give a human control over it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Serf posted:

How far into a game do you get? I can't stand controlling more than around 10 core planets, and certainly wouldn't want to control the 100+ for 40% of the galaxy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ulmont posted:

How far into a game do you get? I can't stand controlling more than around 10 core planets, and certainly wouldn't want to control the 100+ for 40% of the galaxy.

I don't usually finish games, just go until I get bored. It's not so bad on small galaxies but can get tedious on the bigger ones.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I really like the new first contact dialogue options

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

if you thought the moo3 AI was too dumb to give control over anything you weren't wrong

it's just that the game was also too dumb to give a human control over it

Yeah, that's my point. Don't fear artificial stupidity, embrace it! :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Next in my series of retarded questions: I acquired a vassal in a two-planet, two-faction system. I then stomped and acquired the other planet, intending to give it to the vassal. Is this possible?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

GotLag posted:

Next in my series of retarded questions: I acquired a vassal in a two-planet, two-faction system. I then stomped and acquired the other planet, intending to give it to the vassal. Is this possible?

Yup! Send it in a trade. I sometimes do that for protectorates when I get new tiny ones later in the game.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thanks, somehow managed to completely miss that tab when looking through the trade menu :doh:

Edit: Goddamn it feels amazing to have jump drive tech in a hyperlane universe. Suddenly the bottlenecks are as nothing, and my fleet is kicking arse and taking names.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 16, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

Outside of my very first game back when Stellaris came out I don't think I've ever used sectors. Just got a mod that lets you use as many core planets as you want.

Serf posted:

I don't usually finish games, just go until I get bored.
OK so this is going to sound crazy but hear me out...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There Is A Problem And The Problem Is You

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Is it a system or planet cap in 1.4? Can I settle 7 planets in a system without that raising my tech cost bar population?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It's a system cap, but tech cost is increased by both planets and population.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

OK so this is going to sound crazy but hear me out...

I'm not sure how the other guy plays but in the amout of time I've put into Stellaris I don't think I've ever seen a victory screen, either. And really that's the case for most 4X games I've played through the years... DW, MoO series, SotS, Sins... l think the last game I can remember consistently beating was GalCiv, or the Civ/Alpha Centauri games if you count them, though they are a different breed of 4X.

I just play them until I'm tired of what's going on and then reroll. Though for most of those games the end game consists almost entirely of 'keep conquering poo poo until you run out of poo poo to conquer'.

Lets see if Wiz can break the mold this time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There seems to be a new endgame crisis called "the Vehement," according to the tooltip for the Defender of the Galaxy perk.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Wasn't that one of the two hidden Unbidden factions?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I never got the Unbidden in any of my games, so maybe? I know I saw four listed on the tooltip so dunno.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

YOU CAN NOT CUT BACK ON MY CORE SYSTEMS
YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GunnerJ posted:

I never got the Unbidden in any of my games, so maybe? I know I saw four listed on the tooltip so dunno.

If you let the Unbidden get too strong then competing factions begin to show up and fight each other to buy you some time. They are all hostile to the player though and if one wins you'll just have to deal with them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

^^^
Ah, OK.

Apparently there are modifiers to government called "Civics" now. Interesting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Lets see if Wiz can break the mold this time.
As per the "win condition vs victory condition" and diplomacy-based planet flipping discussions, Wiz is somewhat against non-murder-based conflict resolution.

I was always a spaceship builder in civ 2.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GunnerJ posted:

Apparently there are modifiers to government called "Civics" now. Interesting.

Surprised that Philosopher Kings is a positive civic modifier, would think endless discussions about collectivism would just reduce productivity.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

Surprised that Philosopher Kings is a positive civic modifier, would think endless discussions about collectivism would just reduce productivity.

Only a Philosopher King could definitively resolve the dispute, though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Splicer posted:

As per the "win condition vs victory condition" and diplomacy-based planet flipping discussions, Wiz is somewhat against non-murder-based conflict resolution.

I was always a spaceship builder in civ 2.

I don't mind war still being around at the end of thw game; more often than not once your one of the primary superpowers it's just easier to stick a gun in someone's face and make them do what you want rather than keep asking nicely.

I just want more 'things' to occupy my time with to help break the monotony up. More ways to go back and rearrange or modify some fully developed planets, pointless vanity projects I can play around with, stuff I can show off or flaut to my neighbours. If I still need to take over half the galaxy myself then fine, but at least I'll have something else to do as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Advanced Governments: Adopt unique civics and authorities for your government. Play as a Fanatic Purifier and shun all diplomacy, become a Hive Mind to avoid political strife or create a multi-species empire born of Syncretic Evolution."
That's some big news. Since the game came out I've been really itching for some race-based special traits that change the gameplay, and an always-war no-diplomacy option and a hive mind were exactly the two I'd always use as examples. I'm curious how they'll work! Well we have hive minds next week anyways,

Even just going by DD's we've got hive minds next week, maybe purifiers the week after, another one on civics and advanced government forms, another DD on multi-species starts, there's a solid month right there. Obviously the game comes out when they run out of DD topics, so I'd say Utopia is coming out in a month.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 16, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Even just going by DD's we've got hive minds next week, maybe purifiers the week after, another one on civics and advanced government forms, another DD on multi-species starts, there's a solid month right there. Obviously the game comes out when they run out of DD topics, so I'd say Utopia is coming out in a month.

In this DD they say the next is the last major feature, Government and Civics, so I'm expecting a release date around then. Maybe start of april-ish?

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

It's beautiful isn't? I like the pre-sentient and primitives game play mechanics, but the stone age civ mechanics was bizarre and hated it when a planet had one. I would terraform a planet with them just to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I never quite got that. "Hey these guys are too advanced to be declared pre-sentients, but not advanced enough to use the primitive mechanics, ur hosed bud sorry"

• Locked thread