Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

That is still the strangest looking loving thing. It's like if it turned out Ong Bak was actually a sequel to transformers or something.

I'll be there day one.

Yeah. I mean, they picked one of the only ways to get me into a sequel to Skyline. So good on them for that.

Speaking of those guys, Uwais commented on Grillo's instagram post asking about getting into the remake. Grillo seemed excited and told him to give him a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So The Great Wall is basically Battle of Helm's Deep: The Movie, right?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Josh Lyman posted:

So The Great Wall is basically Battle of Helm's Deep: The Movie, right?

Except bad and with acrobatic women jumping off the wall

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Great Wall would be a better movie if they actually used it in it's entirety instead of one section. They also abandon the wall altogether in the final act.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can't wait for the Raid remake to open with Grillo performing a Muslim prayer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Apparently there's a spin off called The Raven? huh, never saw it

It's super awful. Basically a buddy cop show featuring a regular human and the immortal woman who was a recurring character in the main series (Amanda? Angela?).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Siiiiick

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Except bad and with acrobatic women jumping off the wall

Legolas surfing on shield.gif

So yes then?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genuine question: who the gently caress is Frank Grillo?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's him there, on the floor.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Awesome

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A dope actor. He was in The Grey, End of Watch, Warrior, Winter Soldier, a couple Purge movies. He's in the TV show Kingdom.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The MSJ posted:

Michael Bay is making an ivory poaching documentary and one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever transformed into a mammoth. I wish these facts are connected somehow.

Megatron in T5 sports an elephant-themed helmet with decorative metal tusks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He's the guy cap a had to fight in the beginning of civil war and whose self destruction killed wakandans

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Megatron in T5 sports an elephant-themed helmet with decorative metal tusks.

I'd be perfectly happy if a documentary about a serious ecological tragedy involving the slaughter of endangered animals didn't make references to noted children's toy series Transformers.

E: It would be like if Blackfish or The Cove made references to Ecco the Dolphin, in that it would be incredibly crass and would undermine the film completely.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ok cool, I've seen Civil War but nothing else he's been in. Din't know it was him in that either hence the question. Thank you!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

You might be thinking of The Purge. He was the lead in the last two of those.

You'd have to make it The Purge to try to justify how batshit the bad guys were in the Raid. I don't see it translating to America unless you resurrect some sort of Death Wish 3 view of urban crime.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm glad someone spliced that with the trailer, making the characterization even clearer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIXd3lAFEI

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Shageletic posted:

You'd have to make it The Purge to try to justify how batshit the bad guys were in the Raid. I don't see it translating to America unless you resurrect some sort of Death Wish 3 view of urban crime.

Yeah that'll be real difficult in 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

The MSJ posted:

Michael Bay is making an ivory poaching documentary and one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever transformed into a mammoth. I wish these facts are connected somehow.

I thought about this post again and it made me real mad because I cannot think of a single more crass and childish thing to say about a documentary about ivory poaching

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Ebony and Ivory were living in perfect harmony.

McCartney you have lied to me for the last time!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here is hoping Grillo is a cop that gets killed 3/4ths the way through and Iko was the real hero all along.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if it's been talked about at length and I missed it, but what sort of audience are they gunning for with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets? It's this niche of sci-fi movies where the trailers seem predicated on showing you as many strange and interesting aliens instead of what happens, and I'm getting Jupiter Ascending vibes from the thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if it's been talked about at length and I missed it, but what sort of audience are they gunning for with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets? It's this niche of sci-fi movies where the trailers seem predicated on showing you as many strange and interesting aliens instead of what happens, and I'm getting Jupiter Ascending vibes from the thing.

Probably people nostalgic for The Fifth Element

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which is me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

And me

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gatts posted:

Here is hoping Grillo is a cop that gets killed 3/4ths the way through and Iko was the real hero all along.

Actually, if it were a straight adaptation Grillo would be perfect for the Sergeant Jaka role, which is close to this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MisterBibs posted:

Comic book movies are the rage nowadays.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone seen Get Out? Thinking of going to a screening Monday night.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Me too.

(also the comic is fantastic)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

So... Dredd? Bring this full circle.

If Valerian is like Jupiter Ascending meets Fifth Element it'll own.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I'd recommend looking up some of the Valerian and Laureline comics, they're really excellent pulp sci-fi. Very goofy in the same way that The Fifth Element was. I'd recommend Circles Of Power, it's my personal favourite and it's the one that The Fifth Element ripped off.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LesterGroans posted:

Actually, if it were a straight adaptation Grillo would be perfect for the Sergeant Jaka role, which is close to this.

That's what I was trying to get at yeah.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
nostalgia is death

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Me too.

(also the comic is fantastic)

Me also. My coworker also picked up about 16 of the collections too, which he is loaning me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

Er... really? The bad guys weren't that batshit in The Raid, they were kinda on the same level as standard movie criminals. The most batshit thing is the main villain owning the apartment building, in my view.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if it's been talked about at length and I missed it, but what sort of audience are they gunning for with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?

The comic is incredible popular in Europe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd recommend looking up some of the Valerian and Laureline comics, they're really excellent pulp sci-fi. Very goofy in the same way that The Fifth Element was. I'd recommend Circles Of Power, it's my personal favourite and it's the one that The Fifth Element ripped off.

Considering that the artist from that comic was the one who provided concept art I wouldn't call it "ripped off".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

The comic is incredible popular in Europe.
Define "incredibly popular". Is that among the general public, or specifically people who are into comic books? I think I might have heard of it once, though I didn't realize that until I looked up the Danish name of the series just now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Define "incredibly popular". Is that among the general public, or specifically people who are into comic books? I think I might have heard of it once, though I didn't realize that until I looked up the Danish name of the series just now.

Its one of the top five selling french comics. You should check out the danish editions btw, they have a lot of extra material like scetches and articles about comic and the creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd be perfectly happy if a documentary about a serious ecological tragedy involving the slaughter of endangered animals didn't make references to noted children's toy series Transformers.

E: It would be like if Blackfish or The Cove made references to Ecco the Dolphin, in that it would be incredibly crass and would undermine the film completely.

It will be like one of those old Transformers PSAs (that were remakes of GI Joe PSAs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7cO-h9GV4
except with more Optimus yelling "I will kill you all" at a ivory poachers and sellers.

Gaze into the uncanny valley!

(Admittedly, looking inhuman is probably appropriate for a GITS figure)

• Locked thread