Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shredder posted:

yes but how many idiots spent $150 on a "better" controller? or $200 more for a "better" ps4 :lol:

seriously though if scorpio got a new viva pinata I'd preorder that poo poo

The "pro" controller's not entirely without merit, given it's usable on a pretty sizeable library of XBone and PC games without replacing anything else. It's obscenely overpriced, sure, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing in of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm hoping Microsoft can pull a rabbit out of its hat because I don't think gamers will really benefit if we're left with Sony having a monopoly over consoles (yes yes, except for the Switch). Keeping that competition going would be nice.

I dunno. I thought the PS2, Xbox OG, GC era was pretty great!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Morby posted:

I agree, that was a great era. But we now have lovely things like season passes, dlc, exlcusive preorders that would be awesome if they weren't misused as they are now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
At least the whole "multiplayer pass" thing is loving dead and buried. That was the biggest pile of bullshit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I agree, that was a great era. But we now have lovely things like season passes, dlc, exlcusive preorders that would be awesome if they weren't misused as they are now.

There was certainly never anything like that in the PS2, Xbox and GC era. Now enjoy your Heihachi while I kick rear end with Link in Soul Calibur 2...

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 16, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was certainly never anything like that in the PS2, Xbox and GC error. Now enjoy your Heihachi while I kick rear end with Link in Soul Calibur 2...

I actually forgot about that. Soul calibur 2 was great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fuzz posted:

At least the whole "multiplayer pass" thing is loving dead and buried. That was the biggest pile of bullshit.

yeah loving hell, the last few years of the PS3 era were a nightmare for buying 2nd hand games, especially from EA. gently caress em

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah loving hell, the last few years of the PS3 era were a nightmare for buying 2nd hand games, especially from EA. gently caress em

Didn't the multiplayer pass also start to gate SP content.
It was a hosed up thing.
"you dared to buy a second hand copy? Pay 10$ or you won't have access to our servers"

Edit: spelling

Sefal fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I actually forgot about that. Soul calibur 2 was great

Such a shame the series went down the toilet after Soul Calibur 3 :sigh:. It was kind of a shock trying Soul Calibur for the first time on Dreamcast after playing 4 and 5 and realizing just how goddamn good the series used to be.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sefal posted:

Didn't the multiplayer pass also start to gate SP content.
It was a hosed up thing.
"you dared to buy a second hand copy? Pay 10$ or you want have access to our servers"
The Catwoman stuff in Arkham City immediately springs to mind, and I'm sure there was a lot more of it..

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Such a shame the series went down the toilet after Soul Calibur 3 :sigh:. It was kind of a shock trying Soul Calibur for the first time on Dreamcast after playing 4 and 5 and realizing just how goddamn good the series used to be.

Yeah. the customization of 3 was incredible. The only bad thing I didn't like about 3 was that one of the modes would corrupt my save after i made some progress in it. Man the opening of soul edge is still so drat good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last gen had a lot of testing the waters to see what they could get away with. Turns out thinly veiled anti consumer bullshit doesn't go over well.

Of course we get just as hosed now if not worse but they figured out how to frame it in a slightly less offensive way.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gotta think increased digital distribution went a long way since it effectively kills the second-hand market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Except the second hand market is still huge?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Never said it wasn't, friendo but every digital copy they sell is a copy that can't be resold or transferred.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I like digital for obscure games

I could not find for example Drakengard anywhere in Amsterdam (this was before I learned about online shopping)
But now there's a (mostly) 24/7 available store that will never run out of games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RBA Starblade posted:

There's no PS4 Lumines game right? I was thinking about it the other day and kind of want to play it without hooking my 360 up (it's all I have it on okay).

Nope , there's a version for iphones that was released recently though and it plays great. It's fully featured with no weird f2p bullshit

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Good new title

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Outside of steam which is a winner because of huge discounts I despise the idea of going digital. You pay more than you would at retail plus you get nothing to physically hold onto which i need because I'm a 30 year old autistic who likes to look at his games collection like he was gazing at a treasure trove

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Except the second hand market is still huge?

I still don't see how, you can get games for new as cheaper or cheaper than second hand if you wait like three or four months anyway. If you're buying second hand within that time period it's usually like maybe £5 cheaper than a new copy if you're lucky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I like digital for obscure games

I could not find for example Drakengard anywhere in Amsterdam (this was before I learned about online shopping)
But now there's a (mostly) 24/7 available store that will never run out of games

For older games I don't mind going digital considering it's generally like $10 vs $100 physical, but there's some games I just wanted actual copies of like FFVII and FFIX.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I almost never buy used games anymore but I like the second hand market because trading them in is nice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morby posted:

I honestly don't recall which periods were monopolies for any company but my point is that they shouldn't be encouraged even if in the past they may have worked. Don't tempt them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I still don't see how, you can get games for new as cheaper or cheaper than second hand if you wait like three or four months anyway. If you're buying second hand within that time period it's usually like maybe £5 cheaper than a new copy if you're lucky.

Gamestop makes it a standing policy of pushing secondhand over new whenever possible, including underhanded sales tactics like insisting they're out of new copies despite having them to encourage shifting secondhand stock.

Really though it's because people trade their old games for new ones, and now Gamestop is stuck with an overabundance of second-hand stock in every store they can't shift for love nor money.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are dumbasses for giving such a little discount on used. A used copy should be like $20 off the new price and then they'd move copies like crazy.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
the game shops in my neighborhood are doing deals like. Trade in 2 games with a used value of over 20 bucks and buy this new hot game for 15$

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

They are dumbasses for giving such a little discount on used. A used copy should be like $20 off the new price and then they'd move copies like crazy.

Yeah no poo poo. I'm waiting on RE7 to get a price drop, new or used, I dont really care. I bet if I walked into a gamestop today new will be $59.99, used $54.99. I'll just buy new for $5 more. But I'm not going to buy either, so gamestop loses eitherway. $40-45 used though? I'd have no problems with it.

Oh well next year it it will be like $15 though :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Used games used to be like 30% off the new price standard before GameStop came around and shut down the good stores.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

On Game UK's website you can often see new copies for the same as or even cheaper prices than 2nd hand during sales. I've not seen it in store but it's still ridiculous pricing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I'm waiting on RE7 to get a price drop, new or used, I dont really care. I bet if I walked into a gamestop today new will be $59.99, used $54.99. I'll just buy new for $5 more. But I'm not going to buy either, so gamestop loses eitherway. $40-45 used though? I'd have no problems with it.

Oh well next year it it will be like $15 though :)

the real advantage to buying used at gamestop is the 7 day no questions asked return policy for used games. they don't really heavily advertise it but it's totally fine to just bring it back and say "I didn't like it" or whatever and get your money back

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

goferchan posted:

the real advantage to buying used at gamestop is the 7 day no questions asked return policy for used games. they don't really heavily advertise it but it's totally fine to just bring it back and say "I didn't like it" or whatever and get your money back

Man, if I had the gumption and sit down and play through games like I used to I'd be heavily abusing that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Man, if I had the gumption and sit down and play through games like I used to I'd be heavily abusing that.

I used it several times to "rent" a mario party game when friends suddenly were in town. If you're obviously abusing it and not buying anything ever they'll cut you off, but once in a while it works great.

I hate my local gamestop because they filled their nice open floorplan with shelves upon shelves full of bullshit accessories so its impossible to move around in there anymore. I'f there's more than 4-5 other people waking around you'll trip over each other. I worked there back in 2003 which is of course a looong time ago but not many policies, or managers have changed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ya'll need to get Sony credit cards. I use mine to pay all my bills and my maintenance bill and I seriously rack up over 18000 points a year when I include purchases like random meals, petrol, groceries, etc. That's 3 brand new games for free a year.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft confirmed a few months back that it will be significantly more expensive (their words) then the Xbox One S. I don't think they intend to sell it at a price point that appeals to everyone they can, it'll be an enthusiast gaming machine. It's going to have to be able to do native 4K on everything to justify that though.

It's going to have to be expensive if they want to deliver native 4k-gaming, you have to get a fairly expensive PC as it is to achieve that today.

I am beginning to wonder why MS are even staying in the console business, with all their exclusives now available on Windows... and if the Scorpio is going to be 'significantly more expensive', well.... by that point you're in PC territory anyway...

Lobok posted:

I'm hoping Microsoft can pull a rabbit out of its hat because I don't think gamers will really benefit if we're left with Sony having a monopoly over consoles (yes yes, except for the Switch). Keeping that competition going would be nice.

I disagree, hardware competition is stupid. It didn't work for movies (remember Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD?), why should it be so for games? I want one true platform to play them all!

Having said that, and knowing it won't happen any time soon, Sony do need to be kept on their toes. I switched from X360 to PS4 this gen so I wouldn't be oppose to switching back if they produced something special.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fuzz posted:

Ya'll need to get Sony credit cards. I use mine to pay all my bills and my maintenance bill and I seriously rack up over 18000 points a year when I include purchases like random meals, petrol, groceries, etc. That's 3 brand new games for free a year.

Well it's ten times bonus points on psn purchases, so that's where it's really killer. Only one percent on other purchases, almost any other credit card has better rewards. Effectively 10% back on psn purchases.

There's an Amex with 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. If I used my rewards from that one alone, that's ten video games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

They will make a series of machines that become more and more just low end gaming rigs as time goes on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The steam machine lives!!!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boogalo posted:

I hate my local gamestop because they filled their nice open floorplan with shelves upon shelves full of bullshit accessories so its impossible to move around in there anymore. I'f there's more than 4-5 other people waking around you'll trip over each other. I worked there back in 2003 which is of course a looong time ago but not many policies, or managers have changed.

The local EB has started doing this and it's incredibly frustrating trying to move around in there. Why do they do this?

Also roughly one half of the store is now taken up with non-game nerd paraphernalia, with the obligatory entire wall covered in those accursed pop vinyl figurines.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Uh oh, the goon heroes at Giant Bomb love For Honor - despite being absolutely terrible at the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gzU7HxWgd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Well it's ten times bonus points on psn purchases, so that's where it's really killer. Only one percent on other purchases, almost any other credit card has better rewards. Effectively 10% back on psn purchases.

There's an Amex with 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. If I used my rewards from that one alone, that's ten video games.

You get 3x flat on gas and groceries.