Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My [25 M] long term GF [25 F] of five years is living paycheck to paycheck on $70K Gross. Gets stressed out any time we talk about money. How to get around this?

quote:

My girlfriend gets stressed out anytime the topic of money comes up. She has roughly $80K in student loans, $22K in a car loan, $1.8K from eye surgery, and $4.5K in personal debt of which $1.3K is to me and $3.2K is to her mom. She also has no emergency fund. We've tried discussing a budget but she usually gives up on it because it stresses her out. She takes lyft/uber to work most days costing between $6-15, eats out many of her meals, and frequently talks about going on vacations to get away from her stressful job. We tried budgeting before and she did so for about 2 months but that didn't last long.

I've mentioned to her that maybe she should switch to something like Straight Talk because she pays roughly $90 on a cell phone bill per month but she has said that is for poor people (may have been a joke). I suggested that she sell her new 2016 car but she says she'd like to keep it to give to her sister one day who is 14. She also pays $80 a month for a parking spot plus the car payment, insurance, maintenance. I know it is crazy especially because she takes uber/lyft often. She also pays $27 a month for a gym membership at the Y but hardly ever goes. Maybe once in the last month? I asked her to cancel in passing after I came back from the gym one day but she refused.

I decided to post this here in /r/relationships because I know what needs to be done in terms of /r/personalfinance. Create budget, cut spending, develop a plan, etc. We have talked about marriage but I have not told her that her lack of financial responsibility scares me. How do I approach this with her? Is there a way to get around this?

tl;dr: How to talk to GF who hates talking about $$ and spends more than she can afford?

This poo poo right here makes me appreciate my wife. Not only is there no shame about using prepaid cell phones, driving used cars, or clipping coupons, she's proud of the money we're not wasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TheScott2K posted:

My [25 M] long term GF [25 F] of five years is living paycheck to paycheck on $70K Gross. Gets stressed out any time we talk about money. How to get around this?

:sever:

People that are bad with money and do not want to change are going to be a burden your whole life. The debt she holds is (obviously) not a great thing, but it's not like that couldn't be paid down in a reasonable amount of time, and isn't something out of the ordinary for someone that got out of college within the last few years.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

This poo poo right here makes me appreciate my wife. Not only is there no shame about using prepaid cell phones, driving used cars, or clipping coupons, she's proud of the money we're not wasting.

Jesus, her fourteen year old sister will be getting her first car, a 2016, in 2018. My first car was a lovely mini-van that still had "My child is an honor roll student" bumper stickers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Jesus, her fourteen year old sister will be getting her first car, a 2016, in 2018. My first car was a lovely mini-van that still had "My child is an honor roll student" bumper stickers.

My car was a 1990 Honda Prelude and I still miss it. Was a good car.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TheScott2K posted:

My car was a 1990 Honda Prelude and I still miss it. Was a good car.

93? Ford Taurus, that thing was a beast, and bench seating rocked for packing a bunch of idiot teenagers into it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

There's more issues there than simply 'gotta make a budget.'

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

MF_James posted:

93? Ford Taurus, that thing was a beast, and bench seating rocked for packing a bunch of idiot teenagers into it.

This is what I liked about the minivan. It could fit a loving ton of people in it and for some bizarre reason girls in high school though it was a fun novelty and not "lol he drives a minivan."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

There's more issues there than simply 'gotta make a budget.'

The bit about paying twice as much as she needs to for cellphone surface really stuck out at me. She's literally the only person who knows what provider she uses and the status implications thereof.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm the adult woman who is still paying off a loan for a new car but takes Uber to work every day

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

"Ryan" and I have been together for 6 months. We live together, I needed a roommate, he needed a place to stay, it worked out.
Anyway. Him and I were folding laundry lastnight and I started yammering on about random stuff, and one of the topics I brought up was decorations for the apartment. I told him that we have no available wall space and it sucks because I feel like our apartment is super bland, and then I mentioned that when we move into a bigger one once I graduate college I wanna decorate the place with nerd swag.

I told him I wanna get wall scrolls, figurines, posters, and just some stuff to spruce the place up and make it more homie. He told me absolutely not. He hates wall scrolls, its bad enough I have 2 in the livingroom he has to deal with, he doesn't want anymore.
I said that it won't be his apartment, or my apartment, it will be our apartment and he doesn't get to dictate what does and doesn't go on the walls. HE can't just shoot down all my ideas he has to compromise and let me do stuff to the apartment too.

He told me "Exactly, it will be our apartment. This is our relationship which means you have to run all your decisions by me first." I dropped the sweater I was folding and told him straight up that I absolutely do not have to run every decision I make through him first, he does not get to dictate what I can and can not do, if I wanna do something I'll do it and if I want a wall scroll in our future apartment we may or may not be renting, I will go out and buy one. If he hates it so much I'll put it in a room that he doesn't go in very often.

He then informed me that I DO infact have to run everything through him first, and he said if I decide to get my hair done, I need to run it by him first, if I wanna get my hair cut, I need to run it by him first, if I wanna buy something, I have to run it by him first, etc etc.

We went back and forth for a bit, I then informed him that if I plan on getting my hair dyed next week and I'm torn between dark purplish red and dark reddish brown. I then informed him I'm growing my bangs out because I hate the short side bangs and he frowned at me and told me he disapproves, he prefers me with brown hair and short side bangs but I said "Well its my hair, I wanna dye it, I hate my bangs short, I'm changing it up." He spent several minutes trying to talk me out of it and basically telling me how much he prefers my hair the way it is but I wouldn't budge, I haven't dyed my hair in almost 3 years and I hate my bangs short they get in the way and they're impossible to tie up.

We dropped the subject after that, and went into the livingroom to watch a movie but I'm still super bothered by what he said. Like, I'm his first serious relationship, and he's my third or fourth but am I missing something here? I didn't realize that I had to get the "Okay" from my SO whenever I decided to do or buy something... Is this some sort of unwritten rule or is my boyfriend being ridiculous.

I need some outsider opinions here. Is he right, do I need to get his approval for things like decorations and me changing up my hair, or is he in serious need of a reality check?

tl;dr: My boyfriend informed me lastnight that because we live together and are in a serious relationship that everytime I make a decision, whether its me buying something for the apartment or me deciding to change my hair, I have to run it through him first. I told him that I absolutely do not and this is not some sort of dictatorship where he controls what we both do and don't do. Does he have the right, as my SO, to tell me what I can and can't buy and what I can and can't do to my hair? OR is he just being ridiculous?

He seems like a controlling rear end in a top hat, but I get being an authoritarian to stop the wallscroll menace.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Financial irresponsibility of that magnitude will bankrupt literally anyone. People who are, and intend to stay, wealthy tend to be surprisingly moderate on many expenditures because they know money can run out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

He sounds like the kind of villain you get turned into when you're trying to keep your place from looking like a weeaboo camgirl's dildoing studio.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That's insane. The boyfriend sounds like a douche but like....at least he's right on the wallscrolls thing.

fakepostsnipeedit:

TheScott2K posted:

He sounds like the kind of villain you get turned into when you're trying to keep your place from looking like a weeaboo camgirl's dildoing studio.

Yeah, exactly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He seems like a controlling rear end in a top hat, but I get being an authoritarian to stop the wallscroll menace.

I was kind of on his side about vetoing a bunch of nerd poo poo in the living room (seems like she already has a couple up so there's already a compromise in place) but then it got to "literally every decision you make must be approved by me first" and I was all :catstare:

Pick posted:

Financial irresponsibility of that magnitude will bankrupt literally anyone. People who are, and intend to stay, wealthy tend to be surprisingly moderate on many expenditures because they know money can run out.

I feel like they also just don't want to waste money on frivolous poo poo. I like splurging sometimes as much as anyone else but there's splurging and just wasting money for no reason.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Two Bad Ants

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

"Ryan" and I have been together for 6 months. We live together, I needed a roommate, he needed a place to stay, it worked out.
Anyway. Him and I were folding laundry lastnight and I started yammering on about random stuff, and one of the topics I brought up was decorations for the apartment. I told him that we have no available wall space and it sucks because I feel like our apartment is super bland, and then I mentioned that when we move into a bigger one once I graduate college I wanna decorate the place with nerd swag.

I told him I wanna get wall scrolls, figurines, posters, and just some stuff to spruce the place up and make it more homie. He told me absolutely not. He hates wall scrolls, its bad enough I have 2 in the livingroom he has to deal with, he doesn't want anymore.
I said that it won't be his apartment, or my apartment, it will be our apartment and he doesn't get to dictate what does and doesn't go on the walls. HE can't just shoot down all my ideas he has to compromise and let me do stuff to the apartment too.

He told me "Exactly, it will be our apartment. This is our relationship which means you have to run all your decisions by me first." I dropped the sweater I was folding and told him straight up that I absolutely do not have to run every decision I make through him first, he does not get to dictate what I can and can not do, if I wanna do something I'll do it and if I want a wall scroll in our future apartment we may or may not be renting, I will go out and buy one. If he hates it so much I'll put it in a room that he doesn't go in very often.

He then informed me that I DO infact have to run everything through him first, and he said if I decide to get my hair done, I need to run it by him first, if I wanna get my hair cut, I need to run it by him first, if I wanna buy something, I have to run it by him first, etc etc.

We went back and forth for a bit, I then informed him that if I plan on getting my hair dyed next week and I'm torn between dark purplish red and dark reddish brown. I then informed him I'm growing my bangs out because I hate the short side bangs and he frowned at me and told me he disapproves, he prefers me with brown hair and short side bangs but I said "Well its my hair, I wanna dye it, I hate my bangs short, I'm changing it up." He spent several minutes trying to talk me out of it and basically telling me how much he prefers my hair the way it is but I wouldn't budge, I haven't dyed my hair in almost 3 years and I hate my bangs short they get in the way and they're impossible to tie up.

We dropped the subject after that, and went into the livingroom to watch a movie but I'm still super bothered by what he said. Like, I'm his first serious relationship, and he's my third or fourth but am I missing something here? I didn't realize that I had to get the "Okay" from my SO whenever I decided to do or buy something... Is this some sort of unwritten rule or is my boyfriend being ridiculous.

I need some outsider opinions here. Is he right, do I need to get his approval for things like decorations and me changing up my hair, or is he in serious need of a reality check?

tl;dr: My boyfriend informed me lastnight that because we live together and are in a serious relationship that everytime I make a decision, whether its me buying something for the apartment or me deciding to change my hair, I have to run it through him first. I told him that I absolutely do not and this is not some sort of dictatorship where he controls what we both do and don't do. Does he have the right, as my SO, to tell me what I can and can't buy and what I can and can't do to my hair? OR is he just being ridiculous?

errrr the apartment stuff I understand (though he could be a little more compromising, but we're just getting her end of the story here), but the "you get your haircut you need to talk to me first" and other stuff is insane.

wall scrolls are also awful.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Friends don't let friends buy anime wallscrolls. Also don't date lovely people who control your every move and your goddamn hairstyle. That girl doesn't exactly seem like some winner here, but dude's an rear end in a top hat who is halfway to straight up :murder: with a vengeance. What is it with nerds and wanting a subservient sex doll for a partner anyways?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Nerd swag" lol.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Murder anime nerds

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Classic negotiating tactic - okay okay, you can change your hair whenever you want to, just promise to run the pokemon figurine display by me first, that fair?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Friends don't let friends buy anime wallscrolls. Also don't date lovely people who control your every move and your goddamn hairstyle. That girl doesn't exactly seem like some winner here, but dude's an rear end in a top hat who is halfway to straight up :murder: with a vengeance.

Yeah but the question is did they start out that way, or did they turn into this monster by living for half a year with a loon who wants a bigger apartment specifically to hang more anime wallscroll "nerd swag" up? It doesn't excuse the level of overbearing control he's going for but it certainly goes a long way towards explaining it.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Responding with "you don't get to dictate what I put on the walls" is a great way to start an arms race to put poo poo the other person hates the most on the walls

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I love how "nerdy things" always turns out to be cross-promotional merch for TV shows, movies, or video games the person likes. That's the kind of poo poo you hang in your room as a kid, you don't encrust your home with it as an adult.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What is it with nerds and wanting a subservient sex doll for a partner anyways?

Many of them have Aspergers and lack a functioning "theory of mind". That is, they can't empathize, and they don't want to be in a position where they are expected to develop empathy.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Responding with "you don't get to dictate what I put on the walls" is a great way to start an arms race to put poo poo the other person hates the most on the walls

a race to see who smears a poop swastika on the bedroom wall first

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Those two both sound horrible and I hope they stay together forever.

Also

quote:

That's not what compromise means

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

I love how "nerdy things" always turns out to be cross-promotional merch for TV shows, movies, or video games the person likes. That's the kind of poo poo you hang in your room as a kid, you don't encrust your home with it as an adult.

There is no such thing as "nerdy" merchandise. If it's merchandise, it's just more pop culture bullshit the way it has always been. There is nothing unique or special about enjoying any TV show, whatsoever.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The guy is an idiot for thinking he can control her every move, but she sounds awful as well. Breaking up is the best solution.

Also, how do you get a haircut that gets rid of short bangs?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

There is no such thing as "nerdy" merchandise. If it's merchandise, it's just more pop culture bullshit the way it has always been. There is nothing unique or special about enjoying any TV show, whatsoever.

That is a fact. The number of people out there who think "having things in common" means having the same media consumption preferences is sadly high.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And usually it's poo poo garbage like the crap from loot crate. Promotional items that can't even be sold so it's like eh, toss it in a box and charge dumb nerds 30 bucks a month to have our garbage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Danaru posted:

Those two both sound horrible and I hope they stay together forever.

Also

That's not what compromise means

That is exactly what compromise is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

The guy is an idiot for thinking he can control her every move, but she sounds awful as well. Breaking up is the best solution.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

Honestly when I see two insufferable idiots ruining each other's lives I'm thankful for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

That is a fact. The number of people out there who think "having things in common" means having the same media consumption preferences is sadly high.

And it results in a lot of incredibly stupid relationships among insipid people who spend a lot of time wondering why two people who love the obscure cult classic "dr who" don't see eye to eye on childbirth, finances, and the meaning of life

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is exactly what compromise is.

"It's not my apartment or your apartment, it's our apartment, so only I get a say on what goes on the walls and you do not" is in fact the opposite of a compromise

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

And it results in a lot of incredibly stupid relationships among insipid people who spend a lot of time wondering why two people who love the obscure cult classic "dr who" don't see eye to eye on childbirth, finances, and the meaning of life

These are the same people who think a woman who might enjoy Keeping Up With The Kardashians shouldn't be allowed to touch their sacred nerd penis. Because listening to four hour podcasts about playing video games is such a better use of your time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
anybody who tries to hang a wall scroll on my walls gets kicked to the curb

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
anybody who tries to hang anything on my walls that's not a dog gets kicked to the curb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Danaru posted:

"It's not my apartment or your apartment, it's our apartment, so only I get a say on what goes on the walls and you do not" is in fact the opposite of a compromise

That is true.

Has nothing to do with the part you quoted but true nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I don't think it's acceptable for an adult to decorate their home with advertising. It can be done tastefully, but that's the exception not the rule - I know a rich dude with a movie theater-type room in his basement and he has like, framed old movie posters hanging up in the entry area, it looks pretty good.