Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

These are the same people who think a woman who might enjoy Keeping Up With The Kardashians shouldn't be allowed to touch their sacred nerd penis. Because listening to four hour podcasts about playing video games is such a better use of your time.

I would never date that fuckin bitch! She prefers Picard to Kirk!! I hope she gets raped!!!!!!

why can't i find a giiirllfriiiend i would looveee heeerrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is true.

Has nothing to do with the part you quoted but true nonetheless.

quote:

I said that it won't be his apartment, or my apartment, it will be our apartment and he doesn't get to dictate what does and doesn't go on the walls.

I don't know what else I can do for you

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

when my wife and I find a show or movie we both enjoy it's a holy gently caress moment but also not that important. Oh poo poo, we get to stare at the same screen. Also, a compromise is not "we both get to do whatever we want with no input from each other"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I don't think it's acceptable for an adult to decorate their home with advertising. It can be done tastefully, but that's the exception not the rule - I know a rich dude with a movie theater-type room in his basement and he has like, framed old movie posters hanging up in the entry area, it looks pretty good.

I have some animation cels on my walls (I like animation :shrug: ) and that's as close as I go. If I love a movie enough to want it to be part of my decor, then I like it enough to track down a cel.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

when my wife and I find a show or movie we both enjoy it's a holy gently caress moment but also not that important. Oh poo poo, we get to stare at the same screen.

When my wife and I find a show we both enjoy we assume it'll get cancelled. Kinda not sure how Superstore has managed to stay on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Danaru posted:

I don't know what else I can do for you

Learn to read better would help.

Because that does not say what you think it does.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheScott2K posted:

My [25 M] long term GF [25 F] of five years is living paycheck to paycheck on $70K Gross. Gets stressed out any time we talk about money. How to get around this?

This poo poo right here makes me appreciate my wife. Not only is there no shame about using prepaid cell phones, driving used cars, or clipping coupons, she's proud of the money we're not wasting.

This one is a little odd, because at $80k/year she should be able to afford all of the stuff he's describing and still save money, depending on where they live and what her monthly payment is on the car/personal debt. The dumbest thing is certainly the paying for an uber every day when you have a car. Seems like she could save a ton of money by actually driving her car to work and bringing her lunch 1-2 days a week?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

I love how "nerdy things" always turns out to be cross-promotional merch for TV shows, movies, or video games the person likes. That's the kind of poo poo you hang in your room as a kid, you don't encrust your home with it as an adult.

I don't see any issue with hanging up a tasteful poster or print (and not a wallscroll), having a small figure or three, or otherwise showing restraint in displaying merchandise. It's normal and cool to have a really cool Darth Vader art print if you like Star Wars. The problem is when people like this girl want to turn their home into a shrine to video games or anime or whatever and don't understand coordinating their space. It really takes restraint in putting up the right posters or the like that work on your walls and aren't garish trash.

Wallscrolls are tacky as hell and should never exist or be purchased by anyone over the age of 14. They're like posters except terribly embarrassing garbage.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 16, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A lot of the nerd-merch decorators would otherwise have nothing on their walls because the things other people decorate with - photos of friends and family, keepsakes from things they've done or places they've been that they want to be reminded of, actual art-rear end art that speaks to them - don't apply to them because their "free time" is spent entirely on "hobbies" that involve mass consumption of media. There are a lot of really pathetic 20 somethings out there. It's a real shame.

Wall scrolls just end up being monuments to wasted lives.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It says 70k though, and if she's spending the way he claims, it doesn't matter what she earns. People are capable of blowing any income.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

People are capable of blowing any income.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ouhei posted:

This one is a little odd, because at $80k/year she should be able to afford all of the stuff he's describing and still save money, depending on where they live and what her monthly payment is on the car/personal debt. The dumbest thing is certainly the paying for an uber every day when you have a car. Seems like she could save a ton of money by actually driving her car to work and bringing her lunch 1-2 days a week?

Living in a major city will make every cent you have disappear if you don't actively work to prevent it. Buying a new car when you should be making your most valuable retirement fund contributions is also one hell of an unforced error.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I don't think it's acceptable for an adult to decorate their home with advertising. It can be done tastefully, but that's the exception not the rule - I know a rich dude with a movie theater-type room in his basement and he has like, framed old movie posters hanging up in the entry area, it looks pretty good.

This exactly, my friend's brother (who just dropped dead at the age of 38 :() had a movie room/hangout spot in his basement, it was decorated with limited edition posters, movie set props etc etc, SUPER loving cool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, I forgot, I do have one framed piece of straight-up merchandise: a large, signed limited edition print of Meredith from Dragon Age II. It's in my bedroom so most people can't see it haha.

(And a signed image of G'Kar and Londo behind my bathroom door, but those were a gift.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leon Einstein posted:

It says 70k though, and if she's spending the way he claims, it doesn't matter what she earns. People are capable of blowing any income.

I live under the poverty line and holy christ some of that poo poo is unthinkable :shepface: I literally can't think of the reasoning behind any of the car stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

Oh, I forgot, I do have one framed piece of straight-up merchandise: a large, signed limited edition print of Meredith from Dragon Age II. It's in my bedroom so most people can't see it haha.

Shamefully hiding nerd swag deep in your anime hovel where nobody else can see it is fine. That's how it's supposed to work.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It feels like salarychat is about to happen again. Pull up, thread!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Living in a major city will make every cent you have disappear if you don't actively work to prevent it. Buying a new car when you should be making your most valuable retirement fund contributions is also one hell of an unforced error.
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that they live in somewhere like NY, Chicago, Boston, DC or something where her share of the rent is still some obscene amount that the rest of the stuff isn't feasible .

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't see any issue with hanging up a tasteful poster or print (and not a wallscroll), having a small figure or three, or otherwise showing restraint in displaying merchandise. It's normal and cool to have a really cool Darth Vader art print if you like Star Wars. The problem is when people like this girl want to turn their home into a shrine to video games or anime or whatever and don't understand coordinating their space. It really takes restraint in putting up the right posters or the like that work on your walls and aren't garish trash.

Wallscrolls are tacky as hell and should never exist or be purchased by anyone over the age of 14. They're like posters except terribly embarrassing garbage.

Yeah, I have some nerdy videogamey poo poo in my basement because the only people who ever go down there are my gaming buddies. The rest of the house is done up nice with photos and paintings, by god we have so many landscape paintings...the wife's grandmother was a huge fan of Bob Ross apparently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that they live in somewhere like NY, Chicago, Boston, DC or something where her share of the rent is still some obscene amount that the rest of the stuff isn't feasible .

But if she were in one of those cities, having a car is double-dumb.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, I have some nerdy videogamey poo poo in my basement because the only people who ever go down there are my gaming buddies. The rest of the house is done up nice with photos and paintings, by god we have so many landscape paintings...the wife's grandmother was a huge fan of Bob Ross apparently.

Having a house full of paintings your wife's grandmother made sounds loving rad.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
lol, wall decoration chat

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TheScott2K posted:

Having a house full of paintings your wife's grandmother made sounds loving rad.

It totally is, I just wish I had the chance to meet the lady. :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

(And a signed image of G'Kar and Londo behind my bathroom door, but those were a gift.)

Neeeeeeeerd

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

china bot posted:

lol, wall decoration chat

So do you just not feel like reading back a page or two and expect us to explain, or is this a rhetorical question?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

Neeeeeeeerd

but i love her :ohdear:

(it's this one)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

That is very cool to have paintings done by your wife's grandma!!!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, that's shameful.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pick posted:

(it's this one)

Pick we need to talk

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

(it's this one)

Yea, keeping that red flag out of the public spaces was the smart play.

Edit: Sometimes it seems like this thread is more about us than the subreddit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pick posted:

Not true. I live in chicago and own a car (as does my fiancee). Our public trans is really good (compared to other major US cities) but it does not cover everything well. If my fiancee wanted to take public trans to work, she would have to spend 2x as long taking the train + bus or 2 buses, I work in the burbs and getting here via the train would be an exercise in frustration and require walking a long distance once I got here.

Also, I have family/friends that do not live in the city, so I would have to cab/uber or train then cab/get picked up if I wanted to go visit them.

Chicago isn't all The Loop, there's plenty of city surrounding it that is low rises/3 story apartment buildings/houses that are essentially a city-suburb, but still considered part of the city.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

TheScott2K posted:

So do you just not feel like reading back a page or two and expect us to explain, or is this a rhetorical question?

user has edited the post to address your question

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
We should definitely, unironically, lay out all the cities where it is acceptable and unacceptable to own a car. That's definitely relevant to how bad that girl is with money

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

Pick we need to talk

I'm entirely aware of my "dragon age 2 problem"

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Pick posted:

Agreed, but $80/mo for a parking spot seems crazy cheap from the stories I've heard about parking in those cities too.

I'm just confused because from the things listed in the post and me assuming they live together, there's got to be something else that's sucking all her money away...I suppose it doesn't really matter, what matters is that she's apparently not able to save any money and refuses to make adjustments so she can, which is bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Time posted:

We should definitely, unironically, lay out all the cities where it is acceptable and unacceptable to own a car. That's definitely relevant to how bad that girl is with money

I'm just mad that she thinks prepaid carriers are for poor people. I'm not poor for using Cricket.

I'm poor because we had a kid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

hope you weren't planning on using the DC Metro to commute :v:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

TheScott2K posted:

I'm just mad that she thinks prepaid carriers are for poor people. I'm not poor for using Cricket.

I'm poor because we had a kid.

what does your kid have on their walls though

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

(it's this one)

I would never hang up or possess this poster, but it's not a big titty lady or whatever and the art style is classy enough. It's not so bad and I wouldn't be aghast if I saw it in a nerdy friend's living room, honestly. I have seen so, so much worse in people's actual homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean there's "a car" and then there's "a new car."