Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I thought they were feet my whole life but now I've seen that they are actually whole monsters I'll never be able to unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's a monster appendage. Whether you think it's a hand or a paw or a foot is immaterial.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Tasia_Jp/status/819229769262841857/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fake news

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Thank you.

Edit: Pamela Crump?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Private Speech posted:

不列颠 - Buliedian (Britain)

Country that doesn't queue? Are they taking the piss?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^LOL if you think that there is anyone still working at Walkers who knows the original intent.

Pissflaps posted:

Provide some loving sources on this motherfucker.

Here you motherfucking go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch#Flavours

This mentions the two shapes and confirms that the second was 'pink monster shaped' though it says the other still current shape "has long been the subject of dispute over whether it represents a paw or, instead, the eye and lashes of a monster."

Far as I recall our logic was "if this shape (pink) is a whole monster why the gently caress would you think the other shape is just a part of a monster?? Rather eat a whole monster anyway."
It also mentions the third spider shaped ones (again a whole creature not a part of one) that I'd forgotten about.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Country that doesn't queue? Are they taking the piss?
Maybe things were different in the 17th century when we first made proper contact.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

This mentions the two shapes and confirms that the second was 'pink monster shaped' though it says the other still current shape "has long been the subject of dispute over whether it represents a paw or, instead, the eye and lashes of a monster."
I remember the different shapes, but we always thought that one was a foot and the other was either a hand, eye, or different kind of foot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oh dear me posted:

No, I mean consequentialism regards "they are my family" is an immoral reason, because the morally correct course is to consider the consequences of one's actions.

(No one calls love a "moral failing", come on.)

There's no such thing as an 'immoral reason' in consequentialism, that's kinda the point.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

^^^LOL if you think that there is anyone still working at Walkers who knows the original intent.

Here you motherfucking go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Munch#Flavours

Far as I recall our logic was "if this shape (pink) is a whole monster why the gently caress would you think the other shape is just a part of a monster?? Rather eat a whole monster anyway."
It also mentions the third spider shaped ones (again a whole creature not a part of one) that I'd forgotten about.

Wikipedia. The free encyclopaedia that anyone can edit. It is not a source. Horseshit.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is the point supposed to be that being family does not actually suggest anything about what the person is really worth to you? And therefore to value family because they're family (rather than because you actually like them or whatever) is invalid?

Sorry if that's a goony question.

Also is "immoral" supposed to be the same thing as "not moral"? Suspect I may be having a semantic problem

I think the idea is that family shouldn't be a factor in your decision-making since prioritising a family-member or friend is inherently selfish. Saving a friend's life over a stranger's (or a prick's) because they're your friend is immoral as you are allowing the sentimental value you would derive from their continued existence overshadow any other, more 'moral' reasons to make said decision.

What a moral reason would be I don't know. I am not a philosopher.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Having your friends and family's backs is important + good, because they have yours, hth.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I have a memory of salt and vinegar and cheese and onion packet colors being opposite when I was a kid, for some reason.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

I have a memory of salt and vinegar and cheese and onion packet colors being opposite when I was a kid, for some reason.

That's Walkers loving with you. gently caress Walkers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is bad for Corbyn.

This is good for Corbyn though:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/588790/asteroid-nasa-earth-lord-martin-rees-near-impact-space-rock-doosday (NWS ads)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Finally.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
"It may not be the greatest risk or highest profile short term risk confronting earth, but if you make an assessment of what insurance premium it is worth paying in order to reduce impact, you would come up with a figure of several hundred million euros a year – which the world should be spending to reduce this risk."

We're not about to be hit by an asteroid.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

"It may not be the greatest risk or highest profile short term risk confronting earth, but if you make an assessment of what insurance premium it is worth paying in order to reduce impact, you would come up with a figure of several hundred million euros a year – which the world should be spending to reduce this risk."

We're not about to be hit by an asteroid.

I'm astonished that the Daily Star, a bastion of sober and respectable journalism, would exaggerate a story like this. :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'd rather the government spend on asteroid defense than ~fighting terrorism~

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

you just got displaced into an alternate universe, Sliders-style

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I remember different shapes in Monster Munch, and also remember flavour shaker crisps where would get little packs of seasoning in your crisps, and not just salt for salt 'n' shake

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is the point supposed to be that being family does not actually suggest anything about what the person is really worth to you?

The (trivial) point was just that "this is my family" is not a consequence at all - you cannot have a rule like "I must put family first" but must try to produce the best result for the world. It's then difficult to think of a good reason for supposing one's own personal sorrow is a worse result than other people's.

quote:

Also is "immoral" supposed to be the same thing as "not moral"?

No. You should be trying to secure the best possible results.

Fangz posted:

There's no such thing as an 'immoral reason' in consequentialism, that's kinda the point.

How do you make that out?

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 16, 2017

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Fangz posted:

I'd rather the government spend on asteroid defense than ~fighting terrorism~

My ou tutor did a bunch of research in this area and said the main problem was in that as soon as someone can deflect an asteroid away reliably, you can also knock one onto course with a pesky city or subcontinent, and no one wants to start an arms race on that so no one funds anything approaching what would be needed.

Which is a shame because using nuclear shaped charge laying bots to ablate volatiles in the rock to propel it directions was pretty rad sounding.

You could even theoretically get a nice big rock and hide a mahoosive nuke in it and slam it into the sun real fast and finally stop trump tweeting.

Fund science. It solves problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

I think the idea is that only the consequences are important and the intent is irrelevant.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

can i vote for the doomsday asteroid

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

If consequences are the only thing that matters, then you have no justification to examine the reason why someone else does a thing. It's better to be a lucky madman than an incompetent consequentialist. Consequentialism does not actually provide a framework for advocating consequentialism unless you show it always produces 'better' results. Followers of other moral philosophies are wrong and deluded, but not inherently immoral.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you live in stoke or copeland you could write it in.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
You never see flaming hot monster munch anymore, has it gone the way of white dog poo and Golden Cup chocolate bars?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kurtofan posted:

can i vote for the doomsday asteroid

https://twitter.com/votegiantmeteor/status/750729882020286464

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Fangz posted:

If consequences are the only thing that matters, then you have no justification to examine the reason why someone else does a thing. It's better to be a lucky madman than an incompetent consequentialist. Consequentialism does not actually provide a framework for advocating consequentialism unless you show it always produces 'better' results. Followers of other moral philosophies are wrong and deluded, but not inherently immoral.

There are some strands of Consequentialism that get around this (eg indirect rules Consequentialism). Either way, the frame work that Consequentialism gives for itself is that consequences are the only thing that matters, I don't see what you're trying to say here? I also get the feeling you're using utilitarianism and Consequentialism interchangeably since if you're a 'family first above all else' Consequentialist then this is all a non-issue for you.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that only the consequences are important and the intent is irrelevant.

Unless you're a motive Consequentialist (an actual thing).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
nuttall status: scuttled, or at the very least rattled

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/16/ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-condemned-for-failing-to-attend-hustings?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

The Ukip leader, Paul Nuttall, has been criticised for failing to turn up at a hustings in Stoke-on-Trent Central, the constituency where he is contesting next week’s byelection.
Nuttall gave just an hour’s notice that he was pulling out of the event on Thursday that had been organised by business representatives in the area.
He claimed he needed to attend “essential party meetings” before a Ukip conference.
Meanwhile, Nuttall’s personal website was offline on Thursday, displaying a message saying that the site had been temporarily taken down. It comes in the wake of his admission that the claim he had lost “close, personal friends” at the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster was untrue.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Wikipedia. The free encyclopaedia that anyone can edit. It is not a source. Horseshit.

Oh, my deepest apologies Mr Pissflaps but I am afraid that the likelihood of there being a peer reviewed source up to your exacting standards that directly corroborates the way I and my peers considered the various shapes of Monster Munch way back in my distant childhood is so vanishingly small as to be non-existent.

I have checked both jstor and academia but it appears that the field of Monster Munch taxonomy is an as yet unassailed area of study. You are free to correct me by providing a source you consider adequate.

Further apologies for the lateness of my response but I am afraid that I had to attend a community showing of I, Daniel Blake - as should everyone if they get the chance. I now must go and get my tea.

In short, gently caress you you bellicose ba'heidded beholder, I know my past and your opinion is (and probably always will be) of absolutely no concern or weight at all.

P.S. I am amazed that such a well practised pedant like yourself would fall into the schoolboy trap of claiming "Wikipedia ... is not a source" - Wikipedia is of course a source it is simply one that is not peer reviewed and open to the insertion of misinformation, much like the papers and tweets that you love to quote.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You made it up. You are fake news.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Law_and_policy/status/832340317122723840

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I miss the days when people called 'fake news' lies and propaganda instead of pretending that this is some new thing that only started like a year ago. Especially when the media complains about it and is just as happy to contrast some scientific report with the 'opinion' of some shithead and pretend like it's somehow equivalent.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhilJenkins86/status/832328951548747776

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/andyburnhammp/status/831994382463168513

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You made it up. You are fake news.

I await your proof of this baseless accusation with anticipation.

This was you wasn't it?

some twit tweeted posted:

“That Monster Munch *revelation* has taken the wind out of my sails, ruined my annual leave and reduced my will to live by 60%”
source

I'd forgotten that MM were a Smith's snack originally so why are people the media accepting a statement from Walkers re. the original shapes as definitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
All goons come join us for Glasgow Question Time in #ukgoons on synirc. Should be good and rowdy this week!!

And the television programme may be rowdy also!!! :newlol:

• Locked thread