Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Loopoo posted:

It was funny as hell when it was new, but now the rage and salt is getting stale.

just spam 'Wow!' with the quickchat in response to everything they say

for maximum effect, make sure your emblem is a salt shaker or something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

PC. Maybe its just been bad luck but I've run into so many Wardens and Orochis that Its gotten really drat boring.

Yep. As people become more and more aware of the overt superiority of Warden, the more boring the game gets :smith:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Zaphod42 posted:

The orange icon means unblockable. It has to be dodged or parried, it cannot be blocked.

Orange icon after they hit you doesn't make sense. What is probably happening is that they are combo-ing into a move that is unblockable at the end, like Kensei's combos.

He's almost certainly taking about things like the Warden and Orochi double hits, or the Crushing Counter Warden parry. Those flash the orange unblockable during the additional hit, since there's no wind up time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lawbringer is not good

By that logic shugoki and everything that isn't warden or orochi is bad.

Its an echo chamber at the high level, and classes like orochi appeal to the tryhards. But that doesn't mean the others are bad, especially when not at the absolute highest pinnacle of skill play.

And if anything the more people fight orochi and wardens the more they'll be tripped up by running into something different.

The Gate posted:

He's almost certainly taking about things like the Warden and Orochi double hits, or the Crushing Counter Warden parry. Those flash the orange unblockable during the additional hit, since there's no wind up time.

The guaranteed hit on warden and orochi do not flash orange, do they? I'm pretty sure they don't. The counter top warden has does though.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

I'll just post these links again for you or anyone else that just got the game. They're a series of guides for every character and explain their unique mechanics and all their moves, as well as strategy. They even have nice little .gifs that show everything. They helped me a ton.

Guide to the Warden + Advanced Mechanics

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

Added to OP. PM me if anything else needs addin', sweet baby goons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

By that logic shugoki and everything that isn't warden or orochi is bad.

Its an echo chamber at the high level, and classes like orochi appeal to the tryhards. But that doesn't mean the others are bad, especially when not at the absolute highest pinnacle of skill play.

And if anything the more people fight orochi and wardens the more they'll be tripped up by running into something different.

The guaranteed hit on warden and orochi do not flash orange, do they? I'm pretty sure they don't. The counter top warden has does though.

It absolutely does mean that, and you'll start to encounter these problems even at mid-level play. You do not have to be a top level master who's fights consist of a flurry of feints and parries to have the problem of Warden/Orochi supremacy affect you. Wardens kit is simply better for how the game is actually played. Other classes have kits designed for a game that exists only in theory.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I got this for XBone. Gamertag is Flexible Ethics. Forewarning though, I'm not very good.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

panda clue posted:

just spam 'Wow!' with the quickchat in response to everything they say

for maximum effect, make sure your emblem is a salt shaker or something like this:

I use XD and the crying face emoji both equally effective.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I want to fight you. Orochis give me tons of trouble on my Raider.

Q8ee is my UPlay name. Add me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It absolutely does mean that, and you'll start to encounter these problems even at mid-level play. You do not have to be a top level master who's fights consist of a flurry of feints and parries to have the problem of Warden/Orochi supremacy affect you. Wardens kit is simply better for how the game is actually played. Other classes have kits designed for a game that exists only in theory.

You're one of the people who posted the game will fail if not enough people like 1v1 and 2v2 because that's all that matters, right? That explains your thinking.

See there is this other game that actually does exist and its called Dominion :aaa:

Lawbringer isn't top tier for 1v1, but he's not complete garbage either. Most of the classes are a little behind Warden and Orochi, but I'd say Peacekeeper and Nobushi are right up there with them, and the rest of the classes are still competitive below the absolute top level of play. (In fact, some classes are way easier for newbies, like Shugoki can be)

But Lawbringer is also pretty dang good in 4v4 modes, which are a part of this game and something that some people actually do play!

I agree that warden could maybe need a nerf, like slowing down the area attack at least.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

For the life of me I don't understand why they made the character with the polearm have a moveset dedicated to grabs and shoves and counters. Why is he not making huge sweeping strikes from extreme range or performing long rear end Nobushi-esque pokes? It's like:

"Hey, I'm going to give you this long rear end weapon. Now GET OUT THERE AND INEFFECTUALLY HUG AND SHOVE SOME PEOPLE"
"OKAY!!!!! .... wait, it has a hammer, an axe, and a spear tip. Can I use those?'
"NO NOT EFFECTIVE GO PUSH PEOPLE AROUND"
"Seriously I can just grab it at the very end of this stick and I bet it'll be fu..."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You're one of the people who posted the game will fail if not enough people like 1v1 and 2v2 because that's all that matters, right? That explains your thinking.

See there is this other game that actually does exist and its called Dominion :aaa:

Lawbringer isn't top tier for 1v1, but he's not complete garbage either. Most of the classes are a little behind Warden and Orochi, but I'd say Peacekeeper and Nobushi are right up there with them, and the rest of the classes are still competitive below the absolute top level of play. (In fact, some classes are way easier for newbies, like Shugoki can be)

But Lawbringer is also pretty dang good in 4v4 modes, which are a part of this game and something that some people actually do play!

I am not. Because I like Dominion as well. Trouble is, Dominion also is about 1v1s and 2v2s merely cloaked in a capture point setup. The existence of objectives does not magically negate class imbalance.

It is okay to like a game and acknowledge it has problems. You do not, in fact, have to make the media you consume a part of your identity such that an attack on one is an attack on the other.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

For the life of me I don't understand why they made the character with the polearm have a moveset dedicated to grabs and shoves and counters. Why is he not making huge sweeping strikes from extreme range or performing long rear end Nobushi-esque pokes? It's like:

"Hey, I'm going to give you this long rear end weapon. Now GET OUT THERE AND INEFFECTUALLY HUG AND SHOVE SOME PEOPLE"
"OKAY!!!!! .... wait, it has a hammer, an axe, and a spear tip. Can I use those?'
"NO NOT EFFECTIVE GO PUSH PEOPLE AROUND"
"Seriously I can just grab it at the very end of this stick and I bet it'll be fu..."

You don't poke with a Halberd.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am not. Because I like Dominion as well. Trouble is, Dominion also is about 1v1s and 2v2s merely cloaked in a capture point setup. The existence of objectives does not magically negate class imbalance.

For sure, but having the ability to fulfill multiple roles to still earn renown, and being able to really dominate at throws and knocking people off ledges and into traps is pretty effective in 4v4, where not so much in 1v1.

Plus just having tons of health and being able to play defensive to contest a point can in itself be a benefit in 4v4.

E: I mean again, you're right that at the very very very highest level of play you're going to see warden, orochi, nobushi, peacekeeper, and not much else. But somebody was also arguing this game is just flat broken for that kinda extreme high level play because everybody will just play defensive forever and never attack. :shrug: We'll see.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some website somewhere made a thing or something. :q:

https://rankedboost.com/for-honor/tier-list-best-classes/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

For sure, but having the ability to fulfill multiple roles to still earn renown, and being able to really dominate at throws and knocking people off ledges and into traps is pretty effective in 4v4, where not so much in 1v1.

Plus just having tons of health and being able to play defensive to contest a point can in itself be a benefit in 4v4.

Do you know who can play defensive better than a Lawbringer could ever hope to, on account of having actual tools to punish people with, and not having attacks that are slow as molasses?

It's Warden. You'd be better off with a Warden defending that point. Even with the way Renown works, you'd still be better off with a competent Warden.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'd completely ignored the Shugoki's zone attack in duels up until today and I think it actually be really useful. It comes out relatively fast and covers ground, which the Shugoki struggles with. The second swing as surprisingly good tracking too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'd completely ignored the Shugoki's zone attack in duels up until today and I think it actually be really useful. It comes out relatively fast and covers ground, which the Shugoki struggles with. The second swing as surprisingly good tracking too.

Yeah zone attacks are something you initially write off as just for killing mook NPCs, but some of them are pretty important parts of the class kit.

Warden's zone is a pretty key fast side interrupt, along with his top light (which everybody uses all the time so is pretty expected)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Zaphod42 posted:

You're not *supposed* to.

None of this changes the fact that Lawbringer uses a weapon that I think it a couple feet longer than he is tall and the move set demands he play at a range where you could feel someone breathing on you.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

Umm, I'll have you know my Raider is very special young man with lots of talents and he's still #1 in my book.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Stanley Pain posted:

I've never seen a page so wrong before in my life. Valkyrie 5th best in 1v1? Did they just pick names out of a hat?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Cant wait to get this on friday(payday) and get nerds to rage by being a black lady viking throwing them off cliffs.

Speaking of zone attacks, I've heard super armor attacks only block a certain number of attacks? Wondering if the berserker zone attack could be used to counter these because its a quick 4 combo.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've never seen a page so wrong before in my life. Valkyrie 5th best in 1v1? Did they just pick names out of a hat?

Maybe going off alpha? Wasnt Valk very good before launch?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Keegers posted:

Maybe going off alpha? Wasnt Valk very good before launch?

She was pretty good in the technical test, yeah. Towards the end of that she'd received a set of nerfs, mostly lowering the damage of her light and dodge attacks as well as the range on some moves. So now without that source of decent damage, her lack of proper damaging follow-through became pretty apparent.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'm so glad I will never reach the skill level where my class choice makes a huge impact on things. I am enjoying my slow halberd friend and it is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

You're not *supposed* to.

None of this changes the fact that Lawbringer uses a weapon that I think it a couple feet longer than he is tall and the move set demands he play at a range where you could feel someone breathing on you.

Yeah giving him some more range like the nobushi would make sense and also help buff him a little.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

Couple more valkyrie things I don't know why I keep playing this dumb class but here ya go

- UNLISTED MOVE: has a dashing forward guard break like kensei/raider
- off dash counter, you can get a untechable guardbreak
- shoulder pin off dash counter counts as a heavy towards the shieldbash.

This is from awhile ago but I appreciate all the work, some stuff I didn't know there.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Can you really not drop a contract once you've accepted it? I got some really lovely elimination ones before I tried elimination mode, assuming they would drop out after the timer ran out... they're still there.

why is everything in this game outside of the core combat so loving horrible

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

panda clue posted:

Can you really not drop a contract once you've accepted it? I got some really lovely elimination ones before I tried elimination mode, assuming they would drop out after the timer ran out... they're still there.

If they're expired contracts, they stay with you until you complete or unequip them. If you go to unequip it, the game should pop up and say, "Hey I'm gonna throw this out if you don't want it, is that cool?"

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

panda clue posted:

Click on them, It'll bring up the list again. Click on the one you want to remove to deactivate it. The ones you don't finish but have selected stick around, they just vanish if you swap them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
i'm assuming single player will take you on a grand tour of all the classes? Is it worth it to play as sort of an extended tutorial? It's fun enough but I'm really more interested in learning the game via a more entertaining practice setting that campaign for its own sake.

Also: I did the first 5 levels on "realistic" and found pvp much easier than those missions. My 3rd game I died once and killed 7 people. Primarily through dirt dogging 2v1 but even the occasional 1v1 I usually forced a retreat or killed my opponent*.

Worth it for people who might feel like there is too much going on for them in online matches.

* I'm sure its primarily due to the game being so new and my mmr being totally basement level. A couple dudes went straight through me via simple feints and basic angle changes, things even a mediocre player can do.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The "15 seconds of unblockable attacks" skill in single player made it easy mode on realistic. I just spammed Heavy attacks and smashed everyone.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Ah, thank you. There is of course no where in the UI where it even hints at how to do this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of zone attacks, I've heard super armor attacks only block a certain number of attacks? Wondering if the berserker zone attack could be used to counter these because its a quick 4 combo.

Yeah in theory, I haven't tested it but it should only eat one attack. You gotta get in two attacks before he swings, but if anybody could do it, berserker can. I think there's something he can do to refresh the armor, not sure, but if you keep hitting him it should eventually interrupt him same as anybody.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone playing a lot of Raider? I could use some tips on how to mixup his limited toolset. I understand he is not TOP TIER but whatever I enjoy dumping shitsacks off the cliffs.

I'm a point where in 1v1s I can pretty reliably tech counter GB and parries, but I never know how to to follow up a successful parry so I just stopped parrying.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

lol this game has been out like a total of 5 days including open beta. "these characters are easy to play so therefore god tier" loving genius.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So are you always guaranteed a free guard break after a parry?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's not entirely 100%. I've had several instances of getting GB countered after I parry them. I've even had to stop mid fight and ask them how they did it and they didn't know either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That seems pretty broken. The punishment of losing stamina and having the attack negated seems like its harsh enough.

EDIT: Is there a way to report all these people with swastika emblems.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

No. Some characters recover faster and some have enough range that you cant get in in time.