Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm gonna need oven mitts to handle these Gunnerkrieg Court hot takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Questionable Content. I don't even know why I was reading it except that I had it as part of my regular internet checklist and was too lazy to remove it.

I tried reading this because it was an ex's favorite comic and I just had to stop because it was rarely funny or clever. It was penny arcade but with relationship drama instead of video games.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Seriously though what was with all the goofy webcomics back then doing some weird one-off serious storyline before going back to the status quo? Besides Loss, I thought I remembered seeing one where it was goofy twenty-somethings hanging out that suddenly goes in on one of the character's dad committing suicide.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The first girl I dated in high school lent me her annotated copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. But that's not important. What is important is that no one has mentioned Hark, A Vagrant! and we should all feel a little bad about that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

I tried reading this because it was an ex's favorite comic and I just had to stop because it was rarely funny or clever. It was penny arcade but with relationship drama instead of video games.

Good news, after hundreds of strips that boil down to "author-insert harem anime with hipsters instead of Japan" he just went ahead and started adding actual robot-people, catgirls, and whatever else Tumblr told him to, which turned into the most astonishingly blatant use of audience- insert I've ever seen.

also the guy who draws it is crazy douchey, it's not even like some harmless guy's project, he's actively just awful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone ever read It's Walky? I have extremely vague memories of it but basically the creator used to make a goofy comic strip about roommates and had some throwaway gags about aliens and an organization that deals with them, and then decided to make a spin-off entirely about those aliens and the alien-fighting organization that got very serious despite having a godlike figure who looked like he was made of cartoon Swiss cheese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think almost every long-running webcomic ends up trying to do a Serious Plot for some reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks to a random email sent in to the giant bombcast, I now actually remember the first game I ever played, and it was an old Coleco miniature arcade machine (actually LCD) of Galaxian. I don't know why I forgot about it, considering it's one of the few things I've had stolen from me, which is fitting since it was a present from my late cousin, who was known back in the day for having stolen a bunch of poo poo with his brother so it was probably not legit.

They used to have a giant elephant tub in the backyard of my grandmother's house that had snapping turtles in it.

This thing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...UsAAOSwOgdYnVRF

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first girl I dated in high school lent me her annotated copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. But that's not important. What is important is that no one has mentioned Hark, A Vagrant! and we should all feel a little bad about that.

JTHM was enjoyable but not as much as Squee or Invader Zim imo. And yeah obviously Hark is top tier on par with Achewood. I forget about it sometimes and I'm not sure why.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

I think almost every long-running webcomic ends up trying to do a Serious Plot for some reason.

It's the easiest way to show the characters/comic (and thereby, the author) has some amount of depth to it. It never, ever works out.

In video games news, hey it's the switch's UI. Don't know how new this video is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Although Beaton's stuff is also in legit printed format so she's not "just" a webcomic anymore!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

In video games news, hey it's the switch's UI. Don't know how new this video is.

You're good, that's less than an hour old.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Questionable Content. I don't even know why I was reading it except that I had it as part of my regular internet checklist and was too lazy to remove it.

I finally managed to break off of reading QC during the pink robot fight house plotline when I realized nothing interesting was ever going to happen. I'm free.

tap my mountain posted:

The best webcomic is actually a tie between both of ONE's series

ONE owns.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/775720457970421761

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

Although Beaton's stuff is also in legit printed format so she's not "just" a webcomic anymore!

I'm using that at my excuse as well.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Octopus Pie is probably one of the best Web comics currently online imo, and I think it's ending pretty soon. Hope it sticks the landing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGesiXAclY8

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

I finally managed to break off of reading QC during the pink robot fight house plotline when I realized nothing interesting was ever going to happen. I'm free.

So it took you, what, twenty years to stop reading it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I actually forgot about a good webcomic one of my ex's turned me onto: Templar, Arizona. I dunno if it's still any good but I remember liking it quite a bit

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like Scary Go Round

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah thinking about doing the same tbh. I mean he can keep the comic going in whatever direction he wants of course, but I lost most interest a while ago. Slice of life comics aren't my bag anymore I guess.

corn in the bible posted:

So it took you, what, twenty years to stop reading it?

I've been following it for 10 :suicide:

One of the most underrated webcomics was Amazing Super Powers. It was just one-off jokes and gags, similar to SMBC and C&H, with a few animated shorts. The authors found there's more money to be made in mobile games so they just update the site once every six months to advertise their new game. It was just last week when I finally killed it from my daily browsing, as I realized the comic isn't coming back. For what it's worth the games seem pretty good and they keep the comic archive alive so check them out.

There's also the shameless PBF knockoff Truck Bearing Kibble that was pretty funny when it surfaced and very quickly died like ten years ago. The site has been down for a while now though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Paranatural and scary go round are good and are the only webcomics I read anymore. Was questionable content ever good? I read it for ages but that might have been because I was in high school

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Perry Bible Fellowship and Achewood were the best two webcomics of the mid-2000s glory days of webcomics and are still infrequently updated with good stuff

Kill Six Billion Demons is good and new though I worry the creator's created far too expansive of a world to ever fully wrap up the story

I don't think there's ever been a good video game-oriented webcomic, unfortunately.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uh oh pancho! posted:

I don't think there's ever been a good video game-oriented webcomic, unfortunately.

8-bit theater and RPG World :colbert:

Edit also this:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

uh oh pancho! posted:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I liked Kid Radd...

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

uh oh pancho! posted:

Perry Bible Fellowship and Achewood were the best two webcomics of the mid-2000s glory days of webcomics and are still infrequently updated with good stuff

Kill Six Billion Demons is good and new though I worry the creator's created far too expansive of a world to ever fully wrap up the story

I disagree

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

I bought the game To Be or Not to Be because Kate Beaton did some of the art for that

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

It's as good as VGCats was, which is to say, occasionally chuckle-worthy.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I'd argue "chuckle worthy" is giving most of VGCats a lot of credit.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i liked the "eat your hamburgers apollo" comic she did :shobon:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
All the vgcats dude does these days is post lovely tshirts that attempt to draw on nostalgia nobody has anymore.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

In general, Awkward Zombie works because it tells actual jokes, while VGCats fell back on "the punchline is violence" type of humor that tons of webcomics of the time did, B^Uckley included.

Speaking of humor not landing, I watched my roommate play the Conker's Bad Fur Day remake for the Xbox this afternoon and boy did that game not age well. Like it isn't funny and the platforming seemed terrible. Like top to bottom it just doesn't work.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Was 8-bit Theater actually even good, I honestly have no idea anymore

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The VGCats guy is a huge rear end in a top hat and personally hosed over a friend of mine who did a ton of work to get him into a local con. Dude didn't like where his table was so just walked out on the first day, without telling anyone.

ImpAtom posted:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Poppy O'Possum is good, imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

Was 8-bit Theater actually even good, I honestly have no idea anymore

It did not age well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

precision posted:

It did not age well.

Then rather than re-read it I shall do the wise thing and let it lie in the rose-tinted mists of memory, along with pvponline, penny arcade and misfile

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Harrow posted:

Anyone ever read It's Walky? I have extremely vague memories of it but basically the creator used to make a goofy comic strip about roommates and had some throwaway gags about aliens and an organization that deals with them, and then decided to make a spin-off entirely about those aliens and the alien-fighting organization that got very serious despite having a godlike figure who looked like he was made of cartoon Swiss cheese.

after the author finished that comic he started a new one set in a toy store and gradually moved more and more of the old characters into it and that descended into a mess and he pulled the plug or something
now he's doing a comic set in an alternate universe with all of the characters from his previous comics as college students

precision posted:

It did not age well.

his new comic atomic robo is much better

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Instant Sunrise posted:

i liked the "eat your hamburgers apollo" comic she did :shobon:

That one was funny but got beaten into the ground with reposts. No slam against her though, that's just people on the internet doing what they do.

Lurdiak posted:

The VGCats guy is a huge rear end in a top hat and personally hosed over a friend of mine who did a ton of work to get him into a local con. Dude didn't like where his table was so just walked out on the first day, without telling anyone.

What a poo poo head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just like loss.jpg, which was funny exactly once when it was posted by Tim Buckley in 2008 and then never again.

• Locked thread