Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

VanSandman posted:

Pick: Horse people are more worthless than cat people. Confirm/deny?

Confirm. People with cats are capable of keeping it manageable. Horse people, though, it just takes over their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

food court bailiff posted:

You're right, we should all definitely take the words of the person who wanted to move to a bigger apartment to hang more anime wallscrolls as gospel truth and not the ravings of an ill, ill mind.

There is no evidence she is mentally ill

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

anime. wallscrolls.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

VanSandman posted:

Pick: Horse people are more worthless than cat people. Confirm/deny?

I feel like the issue there is that, if you own horses, it kind of controls your life in ways that owning cats doesn't. All these horse-person stories inevitably involve the horse person dedicating the majority of their time and money to the horses, and while that's a perfectly fine and respectable life to live if it's what you love, I can see how it can cause issues with relationships.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I have no idea what a wall scroll is and at this point I'm too afraid to ask

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

wanted to move to a bigger apartment to hang more anime wallscrolls

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

quote:

Telling a childless 32 year old woman that you are out after a year is basically like stabing her in womb.

hmmmmmmmmm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tolkien minority posted:

anime. wallscrolls.

Who the gently caress cares it's dumb but you are reaching hard

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cats are awesome you fuckman

As a cat haver I deny this

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who the gently caress cares it's dumb but you are reaching hard

The hill you are trying to die on hasn't been relevant for 4-5 pages

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I had 2 cats and tbh I'm glad someone adopted them (they weren't actually mine in the first place no stop throwing vegetables at me)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

monkeytennis posted:

Brb, just going to ask my wife if I can plough her delicate meadow. Wish me luck goons!

plough the lilies

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah like the 'trap' thing makes it sound cartoonish but the way he's reacting makes p clear he was perfectly aware they act like that and is cool with it, and is maybe at most mildly perturbed they didn't rein it in a bit for the first meeting

christ, of course they do

this, on the other hand, I'd read a blog of
Me[19F] [21M/] My boyfriend is starting to freak me out.

Hahahhah what the gently caress. I'm caught between cracking up and :stonklol:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The standards that girl must have to ask online what to do after that must be rock bottom if you think about it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nazzadan posted:

Redditors are telling her to start a blog because they love her style of writing and want to follow her wacky adventures

Dude I can't even make it through the first post jfc.

Haven't ever seen someone compare their vagina to the Starship Enterprise before.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Nazzadan posted:

On this episode of, "I shouldn't have read the update"

I'm (28f) dating a single dad (32M) but its complicated....

Oh simple, you are dating a druggie manchild that still lives with his ex and she pays for everything and they are totally still banging, move on. Oh look an update, surely she just left him and moved on with life

:catstare:

His poor daughter :smith:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dyke orgy

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

You're right, we should all definitely take the words of the person who wanted to move to a bigger apartment to hang more anime wallscrolls as gospel truth and not the ravings of an ill, ill mind.

What really tipped me off is when she gets around to mentioning the hairstyle she did want it involved a purplish red anime hair, which is different than just deciding you want a shorter style or w/e and it comes across as an excuse to call him controlling when he expresses aversion to the idea. I mean I don't think my gf needs permission to change her style but I'd try pretty hard to convince her not to get a face tattoo if she brought it up. She just comes across as an unreliable narrator making kind of questionable choices then trying to make it about her boyfriend when he says it's a bad idea.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like the issue there is that, if you own horses, it kind of controls your life in ways that owning cats doesn't. All these horse-person stories inevitably involve the horse person dedicating the majority of their time and money to the horses, and while that's a perfectly fine and respectable life to live if it's what you love, I can see how it can cause issues with relationships.

If you have a horse, you better be on a farm, have a very flexible schedule, or be able to pay for the stablemaster to do the day-to-day (such as pasturing and working). Otherwise, you have no business with a horse. It's the same logic as big dogs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

china bot posted:

drunk girl whose "friend" got a DUI is a moron

That's exactly what I was getting at in my post. Could be wrong but the story makes several times more sense if you assume that she was the driver or the person who attacked the cop. That part of the story is suspiciously passive.

Even if not, the way she tries to downplay it all is probably what led to the :sever:ing

Pick posted:

There is no such thing as "nerdy" merchandise. If it's merchandise, it's just more pop culture bullshit the way it has always been. There is nothing unique or special about enjoying any TV show, whatsoever.

Seriously! This is one of my biggest pet peeves. People literally form their identity out of a random bit of media. It's pathetic and makes me think less of a person involuntarily.

It also ties into the sort of hyperbole that people use talking about media. I've seen hundreds maybe thousands of shows and movies, listened to thousands of hours of music, etc. Then someone will start ranting about something being "the best ever" or just over-enthusing. For some reason it bothers me so much, no the show/band/movie/anime you're obsessed with is not the best thing that ever existed. Just say it's good and give me the reasons and then maybe I'll want to watch it. I go out of my way to not make promises I can't keep or absolute statements I'm not totally certain are true, I think maybe that's why it bothers me so much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
But.....the wire *is* the best tv show ever. It's not the best thing ever, that's probably like, cool cosmological constructs, or the tender embrace of a loved one, but it's a good tv show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

But.....the wire *is* the best tv show ever. It's not the best thing ever, that's probably like, cool cosmological constructs, or the tender embrace of a loved one, but it's a good tv show.

Actually sir, you misspelled "Breaking Bad".

But yeah, hyperbole really isn't necessary. Both are good shows and both deserve a watch. If you feel like you need to find some way to rank which one is better the that's your business, but IMHO it's really just a matter of "Should I watch? Y/N"

I guess you could argue that there's merit in also sifting between what you should watch because it's High Art vs just being fun but I think we can agree that it all breaks down eventually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Danaru posted:

The hill you are trying to die on hasn't been relevant for 4-5 pages

Goons obsession with anime is never not relevant

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the best tv show ever is babylon 5, followed by gargoyles. but you never reveal that you know this. you have to wait for someone else to tip their hand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

the best tv show ever is babylon 5, followed by gargoyles. but you never reveal that you know this. you have to wait for someone else to tip their hand.
I actually call babylon 5 number 2 but yeah, I don't bring that up!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guys the best TV show is Frisky Dingo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
boosh

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I actually call babylon 5 number 2 but yeah, I don't bring that up!!

I call you number 2.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Me [27 F] and my boyfriend [42 M] are fighting over my anxiety medication prescription.

quote:

Hi Guys,
I'm in a relationship with a wonderful man who is usually patient, kind and generous. However (there's always a however, isn't there?), there is one thing that has been pushing us apart: My mental health medication. My boyfriend takes serious issue with the fact that I take it — albeit daily.
He doesn’t believe in mental health medication and thinks that I can just exercise and meditate my way out of a panic attack. I wish this were the case.
Truth is, I’ve tried that. For 18 years. I have suffered from crippling panic attacks since I was about 9 years old. It's been a pretty exhausting ride. My family refused to let me take medication and insisted on alternative treatments (exercise, CBT therapy, hobbies, yoga, meditation, herbs, tonics and potions). None of it solved my anxiety. Not until my neurologist prescribed me with an anti-anxiety pill.
And then poof. My life completely changed.
All of the sudden I was able to do normal things that normal people do. Like, socialize. Or walk into crowds. In addition to my meds, I exercise daily. I volunteer with horses and children. I write my novel. I see a therapist once a week. I’m doing all the right things.
I take my medication responsibly and don’t drink while on it, or make adjustments when I do want to drink wine out with friends. I take it everyday and in the year that I’ve been taking it, I’ve never upped my dose. Not once.
My friends and my family both agree that I’m a completely different person now. But my boyfriend doesn’t see it that way — mostly because he didn’t know me before I was on medication. He worries I’m addicted to my daily mental health medication. I counter this with “Are diabetics addicted to their insulin?” – but he doesn’t see my point.
Meanwhile, he has a very treatable, very common, long-term STD condition and has to take daily medication for it. I’ve accepted this and never ever bring it up. I also never make him feel bad about it. He, however, feels very upset by it and sometimes confides in me how ashamed he is of his condition. I’ve told him numerous times that I accept his faults and don’t judge him. But last night, he admitted its harder to accept mine. What the gently caress?
I’m not much of a crier. Could be because of my upbringing with my anxiety disorder but I generally hold my emotions inside for fear of being a burden. But this is the one topic that when pressed, I’ll cry over it.
My boyfriend cries at the drop of the hat and I hold him and wipe his tears away. But when I cried about this situation last night, oh god no, he tells me to cut it out and that it’s not a big deal.
Lately, he tried to bully me into lowering my dose (even without me asking my doctor). He sends me articles about how my medication can have ill effects later on in life. He shames me when I have a glass of wine at night.
I know he’s concerned but it gets to a point where he won’t listen to me or the information I’ve gotten from my doctor. So I get sullen and stop talking. Then he calls me moody and says he’s afraid of what I’d be like off my medication. I just can’t win!
I’m about ready to tear my hair out here. I’ve made such great progress in restoring balance to my life. But now, its like my boyfriend wants me to destabilize all of that.
Am I making a big deal of this? What can I do? I talked to him last night about it and tried to reach some sort of conclusion (after he brought the topic up). He just brushed it off and said he was busy.
Any advice on what I can do?
Now, before anyone gets on this forum to suggest that I stop taking mental health medication — thank you for your concern, but I’m not going to stop taking it. That’s not the issue here.
Boundaries are an issue in our relationship. He tends towards paternal, controlling behavior. He likes to pick at my skin sometimes, despite my best efforts to convince him not too. All of these I thought were just little quirks. But this new "medication discussion" appears to be a larger symptom of his controlling behavior.
What do I do?
TL;DR Help me find a solution where my boyfriend can start respecting my boundaries and stop trying to control my behavior (and my medication). Thoughts?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

Me [27 F] and my boyfriend [42 M] are fighting over my anxiety medication prescription.

I knew it! I knew she'd be in her 20s and he'd be in his 40s!

Feels good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nazzadan posted:

Can old dudes please stop telling everyone mental health isn't real thanks in advance.

That poo poo is so goddamn annoying. No dude, let your gf take her drat meds. Idiot.

quote:

Boundaries are an issue in our relationship. He tends towards paternal, controlling behavior. He likes to pick at my skin sometimes, despite my best efforts to convince him not too. All of these I thought were just little quirks. But this new "medication discussion" appears to be a larger symptom of his controlling behavior.

oh word?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

yeah like the 'trap' thing makes it sound cartoonish but the way he's reacting makes p clear he was perfectly aware they act like that and is cool with it, and is maybe at most mildly perturbed they didn't rein it in a bit for the first meeting
White bf "My family was great! They didn't say the n word even once!"
Black gf "They said just about everything else"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

I knew it! I knew she'd be in her 20s and he'd be in his 40s!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My fam is pretty dang racist but even they are not stupid enough to say that kind of poo poo in front of someone jfc. They'd at least say it in Bulgarian lol.

Girl should sever, not only bc that fam sucks (I mean, families suck sometimes what are you gonna do) but because the SO seems to be trying to sweep it under the rug instead of standing up for her. If he won't even tell his own fam to calm down and stop vomiting racist cliche after racist cliche what happens when it is some stranger in public harassing them?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

How do I get over my wife being lazy?

quote:

Alternative titles: How do I relax, how to I leave my high horse?
This is a throw-away account. I haven't lurked too long on /r/relationships so I'm sorry if I miss some conventions here!
My wife - 32 - and I have - 31 - been married coming up 10 years. I married her because she's my intellectual equal, because she's beautiful, because she laughs at my jokes and because I'm completely myself around her. I've loved her for so long and so deeply I don't remember anything else.
The biggest mismatch is she's lazy. She knows this. She acknowledges it. Occasionally she'll ramp up and clean like a mad woman, but for day to day life she likes leisure over anything else. And for most of our life, this is fine.
The problem is I'll get on perfectionist binges. For right or wrong, I'm naturally a pretty self-righteous type person. My wife is too though, so we match each other. But I'll get on things that conflict with my wife's laziness. Right now, it's following Paleo, Crossfit, and NoFap. It's a killer combo that makes me feel like a machine.
When I do this, I get more and more frustrated that she is lazy and won't exercise and does fewer chores than I do (I have crazy energy with this combo).
Now it's reached a point where all I see in her are her failures. I stop seeing the love of my life, and just see the person I clean up after. That's the problem.
This has happened before. Last time it happened, I got so frustrated and distracted that I wrecked a car. That solved the problem instantly. I wasn't perfect, I had wrecked a car! And that made me instantly forget about all her failings and let me love her again. That very night I laughed and smiled for the first real time in probably months.
Short of giving up paleo, crossfit and nofap, is there something people know of to equalize two partners like this? A way to get down off a high horse? I really don't want to wreck another car. Anything cheaper?
I've read the intro to The Happiness Project, seems like it's talking about a similar idea. Any other ideas are welcome, thank you!
tl;dr - I love my wife more when I chill, and need to relax some around her. Looking for a way to improve myself without being disappointed that my wife isn't improving herself the same way.

Go jerk off and stop wrecking your car, stupid

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Assuming she's taking benzos on the daily he's correct for the wrong reasons

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Right now, it's following Paleo, Crossfit, and NoFap. It's a killer combo that makes me feel like a machine.

oh word??

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Me and my gf who we’ll call “Uma" have been together for three years living together for two and a half. We got together after both coming out of previous relationships where our ex’s cheated on us. Her relationship was abusive whereas my ex fell for someone at work and moved on.

Our relationship has always been really good, we get on, are good friends, share interests, have a great sex life, but there has always been jealously issues from her because of what happened in her previous relationship. I find jealously such a negative emotion and don’t think that way at all. If my SO wants to cheat on me then I will deal with it by walking away. I’m not going to worry about until it happens. In our relationship we’ve gone through phases where she gets really jealous of female friends and work colleagues, but I always assure her that nothing would ever happen and it hasn’t as I’m not interested in anyone else. I love this girl so much.

I thought we had got passed it, but in the last six months a project at work has taken me away for four long weekends where we were installing a new system (I’m in IT) at sites for a customer. We are talking fourteen hour days followed by quick dinner maybe one beer in the bar at the hotel then bed and start again the next day for four days straight each time. It was hard work at the time but the team managed to enjoy it. The implementation team was half male and female and this caused issues even though everyone was either married or had a SO. I admit I was hard to contact while away and mainly facetimed with her in the evening before I went to bed. Every time I returned home I got the third degree on who was there what we did how the project went. It got quite exhausting, however we had a good Christmas and New Year and I thought we were passed it as I’m not due to be away again for some time.

Last night was my best friends birthday and we were going out for dinner and drinks in the city centre of a small UK city. Uma tells me lunch time yesterday she’s not feeling well and I said I’d stay home but she insisted I go alone. So I went out and had a good time. I was with four male friends, two of their girlfriends and the other two are single.

After dinner we were in a bar and it was my round so I went to the bar, while waiting to be served a blonde haired woman starts chatting with me and I will say she was very good looking. I didn’t think anything of it just politely chatted then got the drinks and went back to my friends. Shortly after I went to the toilet and bumped into her again and she started chatting to me again. She told me she was out with a friend who had gone off with some random man and she was having a poo poo night and was about to go home. I invited her to join us thinking my two single mates would love me for it. She joined in spoke to everyone and chatted with me. We moved bars and she came with the group and just fitted in for the next couple of hours and at no point did I flirt with her or do anything inappropriate. I am an outgoing friendly guy and I was just being friendly.

At around 1am I am stood chatting with her as my friends are all dancing, she didn’t want to dance as her feet were hurting. I realised now I was being totally played. As a huge surprise to me she propositioned me and asked if I wanted to go back to hers, that I was such a nice guy for inviting her to join us and she’s had a really good night and wants to continue it at her place. I got tongue tied at first as I’m not used to being hit on. I can’t remember what I exactly said, but it was along the lines of I was flattered, if I was single then yes, but I’m not and I wouldn’t cheat on my gf as she means everything to me. She seemed okay with this and shortly after said her goodbye to us all and left. About an hour later I shared a taxi with one of my male friends, got home, crept into bed next to Uma and passed out as I was fairly drunk.

I woke up about 9am this morning with a bad hangover and cotton mouth. Uma wasn’t in bed, I crawled downstairs and went to see what she was doing and make sure she was feeling okay. She wasn’t in the house. I went to go back upstairs to get my phone and call her when I saw a letter on the side in our kitchen. It basically said that she had hired the blonde to see if I would cheat. She got a call at 1:15am from her saying that I was at her place and that we had just slept together. Uma call me a cheating arsehole (and many other things) and she’d left me and gone to her parents. I went upstairs and checked and found a lot of her clothes, make up and stuff in the bathroom had gone.
I blew up Uma’s phone and got no answer, I sent her texts explaining the blonde girl was lying that I’ll get my friends to vouch for me and she is making a huge mistake. I then called my best mate to tell him what happened. He was shocked, mostly that Uma would do that to me and that the blonde had lied. He and his girlfriend who is really close to Uma both tried to call and text and didn’t get through either. Shortly after that I got the only text from Uma that I've had saying ‘I know your best friends are covering for you. Don’t contact me again!’

Just after midday I drove to her parents house where I was confronted by her younger brother. He threatened to beat the poo poo out of me and tried to punch me. I put him in a headlock and just held him and told him to calm down. I really didn’t want to fight. Her Dad came out and told us to stop and that it was best I just leave, so I did.

When I got home my best mate came over and after chatting for a bit we decided to try and find the blonde online as we figured she was a local escort. After a couple of hours I found her website, but not sure where to go from here as I now know who she is. Well her escort name and website at least and it doesn’t really give much detail. The name she used last night doesn’t match the website and I figure both are fake. Plus I can't figure out why she would do this in the first place.
So I guess I’m looking for help from online strangers on where I go from here. Do I confront the escort? How do I prove to my gf who I love more than anything that I didn’t do anything wrong?

Jeez some motherfuckers really want to get in front of that bullet no matter how much life does them a favor by yanking them out of the way. Also Uma is the name of this adorable little guy in the Witcher 3, so that's what I pictured through the whole story.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

How do I get over my wife being lazy?

Go jerk off and stop wrecking your car, stupid

Bet this dude's got some hot takes on gender roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

don't do this, even as a 'joke', tia

My [20 F] white boyfriend's [22 M] family seems pretty racist and I'm not sure what to do.

I hate to break it to you, hon, but white guys, generally speaking, are extremely big wieners and they will avoid any fight they possibly can. Even if their honor is on the line, or they're egregiously disrespected, they'll find a way to try to wiener out of it. They won't even take it or address it coolly--that's what classy men do--they'll try to capitulate and roll around on the floor and wring their hands and flop around like a big ol wiener.