Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Sorry I'm not hitting your time trials on par. I keep getting eye beamed and my summon partners are el terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand the blacksmith system in this game and in general I kind of hate the loot system.

I end up with way more gear than I ever need and while I appreciate being able to just exchange excess gear for experience points, I feel like the game would be greatly improved by having far less stuff. Most of the items I pick up don't seem useful, most of the weapons I find I never even look at, I generally just change armor every so often by going up to the top of the menu and picking the highest numbers.

It would be much more meaningful to have armor sets like in Dark Souls, with each armor having something it kind of does better than others. They could be spread out around mission maps, even, making it a meaningful sub-objective to scour each mission to complete each armor set. Hell, Twilight Missions could then serve to provide means to power up the loot you get, so you could incorporate those in.

I dunno, the system as is just doesn't really feel worthwhile for this style of game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really don't understand the blacksmith system in this game and in general I kind of hate the loot system.

I end up with way more gear than I ever need and while I appreciate being able to just exchange excess gear for experience points, I feel like the game would be greatly improved by having far less stuff. Most of the items I pick up don't seem useful, most of the weapons I find I never even look at, I generally just change armor every so often by going up to the top of the menu and picking the highest numbers.

It would be much more meaningful to have armor sets like in Dark Souls, with each armor having something it kind of does better than others. They could be spread out around mission maps, even, making it a meaningful sub-objective to scour each mission to complete each armor set. Hell, Twilight Missions could then serve to provide means to power up the loot you get, so you could incorporate those in.

I dunno, the system as is just doesn't really feel worthwhile for this style of game.

Then Don't Use It.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I wish Japanese developers would allow for co-op in games in a more direct and meaningful way.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Belzac posted:

Then Don't Use It.

Don't use...what, the loot system? Collecting items is basically all you do in levels beyond combat. The game even sets up Dark Souls-like traps where they lure you with items, but after awhile I don't even really care, because my inventory has too much stuff anyway, so I don't even bother or I only bother just to see what the trap is.

It feels imperfect, and you can't opt-out of picking up items.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After one mission I was too lazy to sift through my loot and disassemble. Halfway through the next mission my inventory was full

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Axe supremacy. :black101:

Seriously now, the axe is really funny despite some drawbacks and I feel more need to give it a whirl. I'm only at the second region but I have done everything with an axe. The counter is goofy. And the poison mine boss is probably the lowest point in the game for me so far.

There are some goofy rear end things you can do to Great Centipede.

I never will like that fight though as I am a bugaphobe and that thing is gross as hell

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you don't care about picking through all the loot, just mass disassemble it. It takes like 1 second. Problem solved.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sweet beat the blob. Most boring boss hands down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any good primer for how divine items work, specifically the +1, +2, etc.? I have a pair of divine pants that are level 150 +1, but they're not as good as my normal level 150 pants, for example. What's the +1 doing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snak posted:

If you don't care about picking through all the loot, just mass disassemble it. It takes like 1 second. Problem solved.

It's still a bad system.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Don't use...what, the loot system? Collecting items is basically all you do in levels beyond combat. The game even sets up Dark Souls-like traps where they lure you with items, but after awhile I don't even really care, because my inventory has too much stuff anyway, so I don't even bother or I only bother just to see what the trap is.

It feels imperfect, and you can't opt-out of picking up items.

You can beat the game naked with a level 1 sword. The game is entirely skill based and nothing is stopping you from playing it however you want. If you don't want to collect loot, then don't. Even if you want to power up without thinking about loot you can just sort your inventory by ability and pick the one at the top after every mission. You are the only person stopping yourself from enjoying the game. I've seen the same complaint with being able to replay levels after you beat them. If you don't like Diablo loot, don't use it. If you don't like replaying level, don't. Etc. Etc.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's still a bad system.

I think you're going to have to fight everyone in the discord who has been crack fiending over thier loot since the game came out.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Harrow posted:

Is there any good primer for how divine items work, specifically the +1, +2, etc.? I have a pair of divine pants that are level 150 +1, but they're not as good as my normal level 150 pants, for example. What's the +1 doing?

Depends on if you've got the familiarity maxed out at 999. I believe the +1 is just higher armor but without its famil being maxed its going to be weak.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

Then Don't Use It.

Stop being a oval office to everyone in the thread.

The loot system is kind of annoying because it just overloads you with so much stuff. However, it is probably overall better than the Dark Soul system of "Rush to find the weapon/armor that works for your build as soon as you start the game". You just kind of get loaded with so much stuff that unless you want to spend ten minutes after every mission picking through to make sure each thing you get doesn't have That One Stat that you want it just gets sold/dissasembled with no thought.

I think the big thing is because of how much relevant gear you're going to get from the hundreds of Revenants you can easily kill you rarely need to go farm loot, because someone already has the good item you're looking for. That will probably only get easier as the people who actually spend time farming the perfect piece will be giving it away as revenants soon after.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Maybe I'm biased because I kind of enjoy piles of loot and different types of equipment, but I don't feel like the loot system is detrimental. The blacksmith, at least, is completely ignorable (well, except probably in NG+) and the best way to handle loot is just to pick up literally everything, check for upgrades the next time you're at a shrine, and then either offer everything else (you can mass-offer things by hitting triangle to select multiple) or disassemble it if you think you might want to craft things one day.

I think the equipment gets more interesting as you go, too. Individual pieces get more impactful bonuses and you start to find more armor sets with fun and noticeable set bonuses. Really, each armor set does have something it does better than others, and you can get higher level versions so it's not like you're leaving, say, the Warrior of the West set behind forever as you level.

I like the way Dark Souls handles gear, too, but this isn't Dark Souls and I like that about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Belzac posted:

I think you're going to have to fight everyone in the discord who has been crack fiending over thier loot since the game came out.

That doesnt surprise me, loot people are weird spergy people.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The only good thing about the loot system is that having to look through 300 helmets in my inventory is what gets me to finally stop playing for the night and go to bed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's still a bad system.

Counterpoint: it isn't (on the whole, at least). There are dumb parts, like I hate RNG crafting mechanics where you might get a lovely white even if you craft with a divine shard, but other than that I think it's a lot of fun to play with.

I think I'd enjoy if there were some uniques or something, like Diablo II legendaries, but something tells me that'd make the people who already don't like the loot system like it even less.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

The blacksmith, at least, is completely ignorable (well, except probably in NG+) and the best way to handle loot is just to pick up literally everything, check for upgrades the next time you're at a shrine, and then either offer everything else (you can mass-offer things by hitting triangle to select multiple) or disassemble it if you think you might want to craft things one day.

This was literally how I played the game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Really, a better inventory management system would make it way better. If you could sort things using some sort of check system like "Rare, +Attack" or something, that would make it way easier to not have to spend a lot of time just sifting through poo poo.

I do get that a lot of people actually enjoy that loot system in a spergy way though. It's not my thing, but as someone who has spent several hundred hours of life on farming simulators I can understand the appeal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Me, too. I started getting into the crafting when I started getting smithing texts for armor sets I wanted to wear 4-5 pieces of, but I've yet to sit down and do a bunch of fiddly reforging like Reddit min-maxers spend hours doing and I'm okay with that, and I'm still doing fine in NG+.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I am the worst Nioh player. 90% of the time I just button mash quick attack in mid stance and somehow I've still managed to get to the second continent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Depends on if you've got the familiarity maxed out at 999. I believe the +1 is just higher armor but without its famil being maxed its going to be weak.

Oh, right, divine armor has familiarity. Thanks, that makes some sense.

Is there a way to more reliably craft +1/+2/etc. versions of things?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I really want the loot to be set up in rows so you could see more at a time and quickly jump down a row rather than having to scroll through them all. That said I don't bother doing that most of the time and just R2 my way to amrita/gold/materials.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 17, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Belzac posted:

I don't think anyone thinks it makes the game unplayable it just sucks that a major part of the game sucks and the only alternative is to ignore it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm drunk as heck and I'm gonna beat this spider bitch.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ymgve posted:

I am the worst Nioh player. 90% of the time I just button mash quick attack in mid stance and somehow I've still managed to get to the second continent.

Mid stance katana is the safest in the game

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Really, a better inventory management system would make it way better. If you could sort things using some sort of check system like "Rare, +Attack" or something, that would make it way easier to not have to spend a lot of time just sifting through poo poo.

Try hitting the R3 button.

Lol at apparently being "spergy" because someone disagrees and enjoys this loot system.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think anyone thinks it makes the game unplayable it just sucks that a major part of the game sucks and the only alternative is to ignore it.

"Only fiddle with loot when you feel like stopping for a few minutes" isn't fully ignoring it, though. I mean, unless you think you're meant to stop and examine every single piece of equipment you pick up, right when you pick it up, and constantly squeeze out every single point of attack or defense you can?

I don't know what people are talking about with having to spend a lot of time comparing dozens of helmets, either. Chances are you're built for one of the three classes of armor, so you can rule out a bunch of stuff already, and eventually you know what certain sets do and what you're looking for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if you don't like a lot of loot, thats a valid opinion. But Nioh's loot management system is miles better than Diablo 3's was on console. Considering that diablo is the poster child for loot pinata rpgs, the fact that nioh did a lot better than it is pretty impressive.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I love this gayme

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Lol at apparently being "spergy" because someone disagrees and enjoys this loot system.

I know you can sort by rarity, but that's not a good indicator of the item you actually want.

And if enjoying sorting through hundreds of similar items, breaking them down into smaller crafting components, and then reforging them over and over so your build can do .4% more DPS is not spergy then I don't know what is.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i only ever have to look at like 5 items between missions because i'm not ever going to be interested in anything above light weight or any weapon that isn't dual swords

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can sort by ability, which means the big number if that is all you care about. Then trash everything else.

I basically just automatically disassemble everything thats not purple, which is 4 button presses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Loot systems are by design spergy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I know you can sort by rarity, but that's not a good indicator of the item you actually want.

And if enjoying sorting through hundreds of similar items, breaking them down into smaller crafting components, and then reforging them over and over so your build can do .4% more DPS is not spergy then I don't know what is.

I mean, sure, but I also don't think the game is necessarily set up for that serious of an approach to min-maxing. With reforging you can do some pretty nuts things if you get lucky, like double-dip on a single scaling stat on a weapon, but that's also a big leap, not a tiny increase. If someone's doing a bunch of reforging just to eke out every tiny little bonus they can I'd argue they're playing the game wrong.

Hell, there's a reason the stat system is as forgiving as it is when it comes to weapon scaling.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm not even at the end of NG but the whole game is pretty forgiving in terms of build. I like that it has steady scaling so that there's not specific breakpoints for every single stat ala DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I like the loot system but it's still done kind of poorly. White/yellow stuff may as well not exist since they're purely offering/disassembly fodder, most of the special effects you can get on weapons are negligible and not worth bothering with, and their inclusion makes it more difficult to pick out the actually worthwhile ones, reforging effects being random just means wasting time until the effects you want show up, etc. I guess it's more an inherent problem with this type of loot system and why it would honestly just be a lot better to have way fewer types of loot but make them more freely alterable by the player. Like "oh I got this <specific type> <sword> that scales well with <my stats>, I'll refashion it to look like <this cool sword> and reforge it to give it <these special effects> rather than having to deal with all the visual clutter of laundry lists of special effects and rarities and all that nonsense.