Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Moana blu-ray features!

Holy crap they went all out! Including an audio commentary!!! :swoon:

But now I'm wondering why Zootopia didn't have a documentary on the source culture for that film :raise:

Holy crap. Are modern Disney blu rays always this jam packed? I remember being disappointed by Wreck It Ralph's, but I only buy the old rereleases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So there's been a couple more trailers for the Tangled series, as well as a Tangled series movie that's debuting the whole thing. I didn't realize that Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are reprising their roles for the show. Which I'm pretty shocked about, I figured they'd go for less expensive regular voice actors. I suppose the two of them don't really have much going on nowadays.

The animation still looks pretty nice for a TV show, the premise of her getting her hair back though seems pointless beyond being On Brand. There's been very little in the trailers that show that she needs to have long hair again

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

So there's been a couple more trailers for the Tangled series, as well as a Tangled series movie that's debuting the whole thing. I didn't realize that Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are reprising their roles for the show. Which I'm pretty shocked about, I figured they'd go for less expensive regular voice actors. I suppose the two of them don't really have much going on nowadays.

The animation still looks pretty nice for a TV show, the premise of her getting her hair back though seems pointless beyond being On Brand. There's been very little in the trailers that show that she needs to have long hair again

It reminds me of Genie being back to the status quo in the Aladdin TV series.

The Tangled series looks cute though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Shneak posted:

Okay but what natural element does she control?

She's a punch wizard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hedrigall posted:

But now I'm wondering why Zootopia didn't have a documentary on the source culture for that film :raise:

I hope you're not seriously asking why the blu-ray of a kids movie didn't have a documentary about people who want to gently caress animal-people on it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I see you aren't too familiar with jokes

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I'm no good with jokes either, I thought you were making a joke about systemic racial tensions and police corruption.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unmature posted:

Goddammit that poster is amazing.

I can't decide if I'd want her to be a kick-rear end tomboy who loves to rumble, or a straight up stereotypical "girly" princess who also kick tons of rear end to have the message that you can in fact like "girly" girl things and still be rad as gently caress and kick rear end. Most media tends to go one way or the other, they're either all tomboy or all girly. And there's so much stuff that has a girl liking pink things and the message is "DON'T LIKE PINK THINGS."

Just do a feature-length adaptation of The Princess Who Kicked Butt.

quote:

“I won’t marry him,” said the princess, thinking it best to let her father know her position on the matter as soon as possible.

The queen turned to her. “Oh, my poor darling, how cruel of this enchanter! People will suffer, no matter how you choose!”

“It’s kind of you to notice,” said the Evil Enchanter.

quote:

The royal hostler bowed as she said, “I need a horse.”

“Of course.” He gestured toward a lean midnight black mare. “This is Arrives Yesterday, the fastest horse in the land.”

“Won’t do,” said the princess.

“Of course not,” said the royal hostler, stepping to the next stall, which held a broad-shouldered golden stallion. “This is Carries All, the sturdiest horse in the land.”

“Won’t do,” said the princess. She stepped to the next stall, which held a wiry horse with black and white splotches on its gray hide. “And this?”

The hostler swallowed and said, “This is Hates Everything, the angriest horse in the land.”

“Perfect,” said the princess. And before the hostler could say another word, she saddled Hates Everything and rode out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Whiz Palace posted:

I'm no good with jokes either, I thought you were making a joke about systemic racial tensions and police corruption.

Wackity schmackity doo~!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

Holy crap. Are modern Disney blu rays always this jam packed? I remember being disappointed by Wreck It Ralph's, but I only buy the old rereleases.

If you want more out of the Wreck It Ralph release, pause the movie for about 5 seconds.

EDIT: For the Moana releases, there's not going to be like Target or BestBuy exclusives on the disk, right? It seems that everything has moved towards exclusive packaging, with like a book or something.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 16, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

IUG posted:

If you want more out of the Wreck It Ralph release, pause the movie for about 5 seconds.

EDIT: For the Moana releases, there's not going to be like Target or BestBuy exclusives on the disk, right? It seems that everything has moved towards exclusive packaging, with like a book or something.

Ugh, and I just remembered that Chris Hardwick is on it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

IUG posted:

http://blu-rayretailerexclusives.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/moana.html

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That does seem like Moana's getting a bit more in bonus features than Zootopia did (even the Target versions with extra content focusing on Wild Times), but then I half-suspect that, despite the long list, it'll all last about as long as it took to go through Zoo's stuff (half-an-hour to an hour tops).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, going from this translated list from some European press release, its mostly pretty short :sigh:

Audio Commentary
Short film: Inner workings (7 min).
Maui Short: Fishing (2 min).
Voices of the islands (31 min).
Things you did not know about ... Ron, John, Auli'i and Dwayne (2 min).
Things you did not know about ... Mark, Opetaia & Lin-Manuel (2 min).
Island fashion (5 min).
The elements of ... Mini Maui (3 min).
The elements of ... Water (4 min).
The elements of ... Lava (3 min).
The elements of ... Hair (3 min).
Your new home: Creating the music of Vaiana (13 min).
Song deleted: "Warrior Face" with introduction by composer Lin-Manuel Miranda (4 min).
Fishing the "Easter Eggs" (3 min).
Scenes removed (26 min).
Video of the song "How Far I'll Go" by Alessia Cara (3 min).
Music video of the song "How Far I'll Go" around the world (3 min).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, that's still pretty substantial, actually; adding up their figures (no idea if it's rounded up or down), that's 114 minutes (nearly 2 hours) of extra stuff. Not too shabby.

Or should I say

Crab bee

I'm not doing this again next page.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macaluso posted:

Tangled is legit my favorite Disney movie, and that series has me pumped. I love the animation style too. Can't wait :allears:

[edit] I just realized they're spearheading the show with an actual movie. Sweet!

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 17, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Zootopia series when

What are the best Disney TV shows out of the ones based on their theatrical films, would y'all say?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
(Also the Tangled series looks dope, love the style, gonna watch it for all Maximus all the time, when the hell is Disney going to market "Disney Sassy Horses" as a merchandise line/brand like they do with Disney Princesses??)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Found more Zootopia merch: a much bigger Clawhauser plush - thought of you Hedrigall, but it's weird JCPenneys has merch of a side character and the villain, but not the protagonists.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it the big 13" one? :3:

My bf would kill me if I got any more stuffed toys tho

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think so, didn't pull it out of the plush bin so had to eyeball it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Speaking of merchandise, and with the Tangled series upcoming release, if anyone wants the best Pascal figurine, look no further! https://www.amazon.com/Bullyland-12422-Pascal-Action-Figure/dp/B004G8ZZUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487289347&sr=8-1&keywords=Bullyland+pascal

I bought that like 2 years ago and he's still sitting atop my work desk :3: The handpainted detail on the figure is spot on, and he really looks 1:1 exact like he does in the film. It's a small figure (naturally), but totally worth the $7 and is a gem in my collection.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Manufactured by Bullyland, hmmm?

*does a quick amazon search*

Oh god... why are you doing this to me :qq:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

Found more Zootopia merch: a much bigger Clawhauser plush - thought of you Hedrigall, but it's weird JCPenneys has merch of a side character and the villain, but not the protagonists.
If I had to hazard a guess, maybe Nick and Judy sell out based on recognition, while Belwether and Clawhauser don't fare quite as well due to being side characters (at least, ignoring that one of them is the main villain of the work) and thus linger longer.

Like, when I was looking at the Tsum Tsum section in Target, I was able to find a ton of Zootopia ones - but no Nick or Judy ones. (Almost bought the plainclothes Finnick one regardless, but decided to hold off until I found one with his grumpy eyes.)

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia series when

What are the best Disney TV shows out of the ones based on their theatrical films, would y'all say?

Aladdin, bar-none full-stop. LOVE that show. It really expands the characters and universe but I wish it wouldn't recycle the score so much, particularly the Jafar fight theme.

Aside from that, the cast is great, and I believe that Dan Castanatella is a great choice for the Genie. He's more down to earth and lets the new characters breathe. He also does a good Robin impression.

Mozenrath is the best still.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Okay, I promised to do an example of some stuff I'd have done on Tamatoa.

I grabbed his movie mouth, because it never looks like him without it :ghost:. Anyway, my computer gave up on this file so I had to finish it on a screenshot of what I was doing... so I guess I'm done here, some screwy tangents but you get the gist:

e: woops eyes are too large lmao. let's give him some saucebrows too. and a saucemouth. let's cover this man in sauce.

This is mostly cobbled together from photos of crabs (and a slipper lobster). Anyway. I would have made him less symmetrical, and have the asymmetry of his treasure unbalance him, cause extra pressure on certain legs. Also lots of chains, and some supersize shiny! Originally I was thinking a shipwreck, but the kind of shipwreck I imagined was for a western vessel, so that's no good in this case. So that we see some chunky shiny and some little shiny. I'd also have probably reduced or even removed his pupils, to suggest literal or figurative blindness.

As a reminder, canon Tamatoa is still a good design (and the best part of the movieeee :kimchi:):

Pick fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 17, 2017

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I don't see anything wrong with that. Makes him look less like an ocean roach and more like a crab.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress, that's really good, Pick.

Argh too many super talented people itt. Stop being so good!

I'm drawing more lately though. I'm thinking of doing a series of little comics with my dumbass lion character (his name is Zoloft) reviewing animated movies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thanks guys!

BTW, did anyone notice in Lego Batman that Clayface is also a woman? Or at least, is never referred to as a man, and speaks in a woman's voice and is voiced by a woman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

This is mostly cobbled together from photos of crabs (and a slipper lobster).

The only problem is that you've taken a specific crab species from the Pacific islands and turned it into a generic crab in a movie that is all about depicting islander culture and avoid generic depictions.

(Tamatoa is a coconut crab.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If he's such a coconut crab why does he behave like a decorator crab :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Congratulations, Pick. You just assumed that crab's culture.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I liked Joker's more respectful tone to her in this film. "Girl buddy!" :3:

Yeah, it was nice watching Harley and Joker acting like good friends rather than an abusive relationship.

I really liked Lego Harley and Joker designs, Joker in particular was super adorable which I wasn't expecting at all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked how the animation on his face is very smooth and detailed compared to the stop-animation feel of everything else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, this led me to be curious if people really did pair up Maui and Tamatoa in fanart, and they totally did. Someday when I don't need to head to bed and have some beers I will probably sit on my porch and think about how neat it is that people all over the entire world can talk about wanting computer made art versions of a man of myth to make out with another more recently not-real monster crab. Admittedly, it's still way less weird than what happened with the Oceler.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

By the way, this led me to be curious if people really did pair up Maui and Tamatoa in fanart, and they totally did.

A Demi-God and a giant Crab....yeah, I could see that relationship working. Only if Tamatoa got over his hoarding problem first though.

Also, I really like your redesign of him. My favorite parts are the giant spine he's using for decoration and the way the strings of jewelry look like spider webs. It makes him look extra creepy and intimidating while still being gaudy and glamorous.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

What was that skeleton on his back? I'm thinking plesiosaur?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

Well at least you didn't redesign Moana to be blonde haired and blue eyed. :v:

.... which is totally a thing that someone already did

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well at least you didn't redesign Moana to be blonde haired and blue eyed. :v: