Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Tomahawk posted:

Anyone have any tips for leveling a Barb shaman? Level 14 right now, any good solo spots or should I try to stick to grouping?

Soloing is possible at all levels as a shaman, but you're entering some of the worst levels for it. Until you get your full complement of spells and the mana pool to use them you're kind of a lovely hybrid of a warrior and a druid and, worst of all, you have to med like any other scrub caster. 24 is a huge level with canni, regen, and envenomed breath (a DoT that doesn't suck), but before then soloing is going to be slower than grouping unless you're twinked. After 24 it just keeps getting easier to solo all the way to 60.

I haven't grouped a character that level in a while but you could do unrest/oasis/kurn's and snag the occasional mob solo while you LFG in any of those places. Unrest can be ruined by trains or PLers and Kurns is a pain to get to, but both have significantly higher XP/kill than Oasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
I am still playing on red, still in <Thunderdome> since Empire disbanded. Apex currently raids ToV and kael/dain without any contest, they are struggling and having a hard time especially when 2-3 people throw them at the cleric chain and bash cheals, dispell slow off dragons. on top of that they can no longer kill Vyemm which mean no vulak loot. So they have an abundance of dozekar loot on all the characters, but doze loot is amazing, on par with vulak imo but he has those specific items ie abashi gharns rogue dagger etc. Anyway <Thunderdome> is still a raiding guild, and we take in new players whether they want to simply have people to group and level up with then decide if they wish to leave the guild and pursue loot and raid PVE(some do this, most burn out because they can't keep up with raid schedules on red. its way less then blue for the most part, but majority of end level red players are hardcore players that invest a lot of time and most have multiple/dozens of 60s/epic/geared out.

On that note, there is a 3rd guild called Epidemic. However they don't really support anyone sub 55 and they can't raid much. It is run by a core group of RL friends, the racism and just all around retarded stuff is like normal red server x50. They mostly PVP as a group rolling around looking for singles to pick off. Either way red is still good choice if you do not like the appeal of blue or waiting in line for raids, FTE etc. Exp on red is fast, even solo(quicker if you invite even 1 person to group, then simply level up even if 2nd player is afk leeching due to exp bonus). If you want easy loot, and quick gear Apex is an easy option if you play a cleric. MAYBE even rogues still, they go through both insanely fast, just like the top raid guild on red its always been a constant revolving door of recruits and guild held together by a core base. I can see why cheal chaining 5 days a week 8pm-12am EST would burn someone out fast. With the new pull changes to sneak, and FD some of ToV changed. Everything for the most part used to be pulled to the entrance of ToV, then the rest on the other side would be done cothing to safe spot near triplets, pulling them out, then pulling the rest ie lady mir/nev, koi, etc all to triplet room including vulak. Due to some of the changes, the pulls are more difficult/take more time, not sure if its due to learning curve or bad pullers or just plain changes made. Somehow they wiped to Zlandicar 8 times in a row with 35 players, they had killed it a few times prior to the new patch making the fear more resistable again I don't know if its just bugged or they suck to wipe to an easy dragon especially if fear was fixed but just whats been happening.

If you want to join TD feel free to post in the TD recruit thread, or look for me(Banksy) in game 1-60s welcome. I am currently in the process of leveling 4 alts, 2 are in the mid 30s range, ones 18 and another is 6. so I will be doing PL groups on the regular until all 4 new alts are at minimum 46-55. With the low population of red, you don't have to wait in line to get ring 8s. I have literally, 31 eyepatches of plunder across all my toons and alts(including 3 of the 4 alts im leveling) so getting one done is not impossible on red. Though most of the lodizal kills are done by myself, I lose a few here and there when 10-20 people are brought to kill it, usually though it spawns during raid times or off hours 4-5am EST etc. I give the lodizal maps away freely, just after belts mostly to sell. SF if you really want, once you pickup his timer or find it you can get it rather easy. If you have no help from anyone that can give you a starter gear kit and don't plan on being a cleric cheal cuck or anything, starting off as a rogue or a monk or most melee is rough regardless without a fungi or a PL to 40+ with a decent weapon and some hp rings/neck and misc mithril or other cheap armor. A wizard is probably the fastest to level up with quadding, epics for them are so stocked up no one barely kills VS anymore due to every guild having a dozen+ gnarled staves to MQ.

More people on red(even if you join apex I won't hate) would be cool, I don't like to go to blue asking people to come play. There are plenty of people willing to help with gear and PL on red however. I guess what I am saying is if you are coming to P99 or coming back, and you dont have a ton of items/toons already invested in blue and you are not perfectly content there. Give red a shot. Depending on what type of player you are, and if you want to play a support class like a cleric or enchanter bard etc -maybe- even a rogue if you can get started right, and level up fast or get in touch with their member base to let them know you are serious they will most likely epic you and PL you up to 55 then let you figure out exp on your own while not raiding. Thunderdome raids everything from halls of testing, to kunark dragons(VP included) to planes. we do various content, we don't really have a set raid time it depends entirely on whos on when they are on and who wants to raid or get something done(epic fights etc). Didn't really intend to make this a come play red post, just a glimpse of what red is like atm and what to expect if you do come or at the very least some of what to expect everyone has a different experience. If you have thin skin, you will most likely be run off before you hit level 25. OOC is server wide, so it can be chaotic when yellow text starts popping off in mass pvp or even a single kill but its just part of something to learn on red, theres always the ignore option.

Not sure who still plays on red from the goons, i know of atleast 3-4 people. we used to have around 20 easily that were all in the same guild. But with the new characters people made to gear up and changing of names, I don't remember many account names to game names. If you still play on red hit post up.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Pwnz0r posted:

we used to have around 20 easily that were all in the same guild

Its been like 3 years since SLAMDUNKATRON died. Even Holocaust mass quitting the server isn't enough to get me back on Red, personally. I'll take a port to Plane of Sky on Jinouga so I can finally complete Ton Po's Eye Patch though.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
e: wrong thread

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hey banksy it's me Grep! I have been wanting to play on red for a few weeks now, but last time I was on, someone in TD accused me of being in some other guild Gkicked me and killed me, so I logged out and never joined again. If you ever want to play together though let me know, Grep is 54, but I have always wanted to play a Rogue, so I wouldn't mind rolling.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Tomahawk posted:

Anyone have any tips for leveling a Barb shaman? Level 14 right now, any good solo spots or should I try to stick to grouping?

I've played multiple barb shamen from 1-60 on various servers since 1999. For soloing at levels 14-24, have your strongest cold based DD and even burst of flame memmed at all times, and spam them during fights in between melee swings with a high damage 2h blunt weapon. This should allow you to solo most dark blue and even some white cons from 1-24, and as somebody else mentioned things really start to pick up at 24, and then REALLY again at 34 when you get your pet. Finding a good group at ANY level range can be a good move though, as long as it's not a pitifully bad group.

You can stick to north\east karana for now, lots of room to run around, and then around 22 move to unrest or mistmoore.

By far the most fun overall class in eq imo, and I've played every class at least into the 40s cause I'm a huge huge nerd.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pwnz0r posted:

I am still playing on red, still in <Thunderdome> since Empire disbanded. Apex currently raids ToV and kael/dain without any contest, they are struggling and having a hard time especially when 2-3 people throw them at the cleric chain and bash cheals, dispell slow off dragons. on top of that they can no longer kill Vyemm which mean no vulak loot. So they have an abundance of dozekar loot on all the characters, but doze loot is amazing, on par with vulak imo but he has those specific items ie abashi gharns rogue dagger etc. Anyway <Thunderdome> is still a raiding guild, and we take in new players whether they want to simply have people to group and level up with then decide if they wish to leave the guild and pursue loot and raid PVE(some do this, most burn out because they can't keep up with raid schedules on red. its way less then blue for the most part, but majority of end level red players are hardcore players that invest a lot of time and most have multiple/dozens of 60s/epic/geared out.

On that note, there is a 3rd guild called Epidemic. However they don't really support anyone sub 55 and they can't raid much. It is run by a core group of RL friends, the racism and just all around retarded stuff is like normal red server x50. They mostly PVP as a group rolling around looking for singles to pick off. Either way red is still good choice if you do not like the appeal of blue or waiting in line for raids, FTE etc. Exp on red is fast, even solo(quicker if you invite even 1 person to group, then simply level up even if 2nd player is afk leeching due to exp bonus). If you want easy loot, and quick gear Apex is an easy option if you play a cleric. MAYBE even rogues still, they go through both insanely fast, just like the top raid guild on red its always been a constant revolving door of recruits and guild held together by a core base. I can see why cheal chaining 5 days a week 8pm-12am EST would burn someone out fast. With the new pull changes to sneak, and FD some of ToV changed. Everything for the most part used to be pulled to the entrance of ToV, then the rest on the other side would be done cothing to safe spot near triplets, pulling them out, then pulling the rest ie lady mir/nev, koi, etc all to triplet room including vulak. Due to some of the changes, the pulls are more difficult/take more time, not sure if its due to learning curve or bad pullers or just plain changes made. Somehow they wiped to Zlandicar 8 times in a row with 35 players, they had killed it a few times prior to the new patch making the fear more resistable again I don't know if its just bugged or they suck to wipe to an easy dragon especially if fear was fixed but just whats been happening.

If you want to join TD feel free to post in the TD recruit thread, or look for me(Banksy) in game 1-60s welcome. I am currently in the process of leveling 4 alts, 2 are in the mid 30s range, ones 18 and another is 6. so I will be doing PL groups on the regular until all 4 new alts are at minimum 46-55. With the low population of red, you don't have to wait in line to get ring 8s. I have literally, 31 eyepatches of plunder across all my toons and alts(including 3 of the 4 alts im leveling) so getting one done is not impossible on red. Though most of the lodizal kills are done by myself, I lose a few here and there when 10-20 people are brought to kill it, usually though it spawns during raid times or off hours 4-5am EST etc. I give the lodizal maps away freely, just after belts mostly to sell. SF if you really want, once you pickup his timer or find it you can get it rather easy. If you have no help from anyone that can give you a starter gear kit and don't plan on being a cleric cheal cuck or anything, starting off as a rogue or a monk or most melee is rough regardless without a fungi or a PL to 40+ with a decent weapon and some hp rings/neck and misc mithril or other cheap armor. A wizard is probably the fastest to level up with quadding, epics for them are so stocked up no one barely kills VS anymore due to every guild having a dozen+ gnarled staves to MQ.

More people on red(even if you join apex I won't hate) would be cool, I don't like to go to blue asking people to come play. There are plenty of people willing to help with gear and PL on red however. I guess what I am saying is if you are coming to P99 or coming back, and you dont have a ton of items/toons already invested in blue and you are not perfectly content there. Give red a shot. Depending on what type of player you are, and if you want to play a support class like a cleric or enchanter bard etc -maybe- even a rogue if you can get started right, and level up fast or get in touch with their member base to let them know you are serious they will most likely epic you and PL you up to 55 then let you figure out exp on your own while not raiding. Thunderdome raids everything from halls of testing, to kunark dragons(VP included) to planes. we do various content, we don't really have a set raid time it depends entirely on whos on when they are on and who wants to raid or get something done(epic fights etc). Didn't really intend to make this a come play red post, just a glimpse of what red is like atm and what to expect if you do come or at the very least some of what to expect everyone has a different experience. If you have thin skin, you will most likely be run off before you hit level 25. OOC is server wide, so it can be chaotic when yellow text starts popping off in mass pvp or even a single kill but its just part of something to learn on red, theres always the ignore option.

Not sure who still plays on red from the goons, i know of atleast 3-4 people. we used to have around 20 easily that were all in the same guild. But with the new characters people made to gear up and changing of names, I don't remember many account names to game names. If you still play on red hit post up.

Who is you character? My bard and necro are still in Thunderdone, Tocotta and Unfetereds but i havent logged in for about s year

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Bard swarm kiting is drat fun and a great challenge. I just got level 23 in EK and made my way over to FV this morning. I tried a couple kites in Lake of Ill Omen, but I think I'm gonna head to Overthere to see what I can churn out over there.

Since it's been years since I played this game, it's bringing back so many memories of playing with friends and guildmates back in the day:

- When a friend of mine at a LAN party accidentally got himself bound at the evil camp in Overthere. He died a whole bunch before having us petition to get him out of a perpetual death cycle.
- Duoing with a bard on my cleric in the first group I ever got in Sebilis really late at night. I still remember the bard's name for some reason.
- Passing on Spell: Torpor for some dumb piece of paladin armor for a friend of mine. The next day I found out the spell was worth like 50k at the time.
- Coming across a cleric camping the fire goblin for his epic who bound himself in the room and then died something like 20+ times, de-leveling from 57 to 54. I got him back to 56 with my own epic, but it took forever to sort out all the bodies.
- Falling asleep myself when camping an item for that +20 WIS shield in Luclin, waking up and having no idea where my body was for awhile. Good times.
- My friends and I not realizing what was in Kithicor and getting absolutely demolished by the undead at night. Good thing one of my friends was a bard and could find our corpses.
- The feeling of awe I first got when I came to East Commonlands and saw these giant spiders and terrifying stuff all around, and realizing how huge the world was. I started playing in between Velious and Luclin, and I think Luclin degraded some of the mystique when it added things that are now considered quality-of-life additions now; maps, port stones, etc. I liked being dependent on druids and wizards to get me around, being dependent on rangers/druids/shaman for a SoW, needing to actually interact with people to buy/sell stuff, and people being dependent on my for rezzes. I think it adds a social quality to the game that really doesn't exist in modern MMOs. People knew my name and remembered it when I helped them out, and vice-versa.

Anyway, tl;dr, I'm nostalgic for this dumb, awful game. It ate a good three years of my life, and I don't think I regret that.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Amish posted:

- The feeling of awe I first got when I came to East Commonlands and saw these giant spiders and terrifying stuff all around, and realizing how huge the world was. I started playing in between Velious and Luclin, and I think Luclin degraded some of the mystique when it added things that are now considered quality-of-life additions now; maps, port stones, etc. I liked being dependent on druids and wizards to get me around, being dependent on rangers/druids/shaman for a SoW, needing to actually interact with people to buy/sell stuff, and people being dependent on my for rezzes. I think it adds a social quality to the game that really doesn't exist in modern MMOs. People knew my name and remembered it when I helped them out, and vice-versa.

Man you should have been around in classic. I guess you did get your foot in the door right at the end there, but during actual vanilla and then kunark, all of those things were in full force. None of this ezmode poo poo. I remember derping around with some random pickup group, running from like oasis to CT (dungeon) with them, and then camping in CT for like five hours. So many deaths, I may not have even made any positive exp, but loving hell it was fun. And I distinctly remember the first time I noticed that feeling starting to fade, which was when I zoned into nexus for the first time. Just something about it... like, I can tell what you're doing with these mini spires, sony. I can tell. Next expansion it's gonna be free insta-travel anywhere you want and yuppppp.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played a Barb warrior as my first character and the first time I ventured out into the karanas, and made it as far as the north karana wooden bridge, was just amazing. I remember bumping into another much higher level barb warrior who had a rubi bp and crafted legs with an executioner's axe. It was the most uber thing ever, with that creepy midi music at the bridges... dahhhhhhh so good.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
And then I got ganked by a roaming named like Grimfeather.

/ooc Has anyone seen my corpse?!?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

got really immersed today and found King Xorbb spawnpoint

672, -207

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i'm so bad at hell levels. been stuck at 40 on Haughty for like 2 weeks now. sigh. I'm gonna murder every last goddamn yeti in DL, though.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

cmdrk posted:

i'm so bad at hell levels. been stuck at 40 on Haughty for like 2 weeks now. sigh. I'm gonna murder every last goddamn yeti in DL, though.

I was on red and actually got power leveled from 40-46 because my guild needed to raid plane of fear that night. It took all of 2 hours :coolfish:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Getting power leveled in EQ was always more rewarding that any piece of loot to me.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My undead-slaying gimmick paladin is go! Planning to do the following pure-undead leveling route: GFay -> Crushbone -> Unrest -> Mistmoore -> Kaesora -> City of Mist -> Karnor's Castle.

I'm rocking Ghoulbane and a shitload of DEX and STR. Yes, that is a full set of cultural Mystic Koada`Dal armor. Yes, I am aware the CHA on the armor is basically a wasted stat for paladin. No, I don't actually care, I just want all of the Ghoulbane procs. :colbert:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Lost my sanity and installed Everquest, in this, the year of our lord 2017.

Now to decide what class to play. Always played a cleric on live, and while I liked healing and being 'in demand' , and definately plan on grouping whenever I can, I'm pretty sure I want a class that can also solo if needed.

I'm thinking shaman or enchanter, but not sure.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I've had fun the last few days pissing off the top raid guilds on the server.

Guess I'm gonna reroll my bard, as Bluesdad can't go anywhere without being harassed :(

Made about ~800k in items before hitting level 10. That has to be a record.

RIP Bluesdad

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dirt posted:

So I've had fun the last few days pissing off the top raid guilds on the server.

Guess I'm gonna reroll my bard, as Bluesdad can't go anywhere without being harassed :(

Made about ~800k in items before hitting level 10. That has to be a record.

RIP Bluesdad

Story time.. what'd you do?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

My undead-slaying gimmick paladin is go! Planning to do the following pure-undead leveling route: GFay -> Crushbone -> Unrest -> Mistmoore -> Kaesora -> City of Mist -> Karnor's Castle.

I'm rocking Ghoulbane and a shitload of DEX and STR. Yes, that is a full set of cultural Mystic Koada`Dal armor. Yes, I am aware the CHA on the armor is basically a wasted stat for paladin. No, I don't actually care, I just want all of the Ghoulbane procs. :colbert:

You triggered me by not including LGuk in your leveling progression.

Philonius posted:

I'm thinking shaman or enchanter, but not sure.
Both are slow starters, but they are the top two solo potential classes depending on situation. Enchanter has the bigger payoff as a first class (better cash farm + you don't have to buy expensive as gently caress spells) but that initial grind can be rough. Cleric will be a smooth low/mid level grouping -> guild transition if that's what you want, but they solo like rear end and can't farm for poo poo at high levels.

faulteroy posted:

Story time.. what'd you do?
Yeah cmon man, give us the dirty deets or don't tell us at all.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah cmon man, give us the dirty deets or don't tell us at all.

Ok, three days ago I was in East Freeport drop transfering some poo poo to Bluesdad because no Goons were on. I notice there is like ~30 Aftermath dudes also in East Freeport. After I did my transfer I found them all, in the big building with 3 floors. They had a big line going upstairs to an NPC merchant on the 3rd floor. They were doing recharges. I cut to the front of the line, sold my jewelry for plat and bought a Bladestopper and Puppet strings for like 600p.

Two days later Awakened was doing the same thing in Erudin. I once again walked up and got puppet strings and some other valuable poo poo for dirt cheap.

Awakened bitched a lot more than Aftermath. Buncha babies imo
I've had a ton of tells with death threats, threats of being banned, lots of crying and begging/bargaining.
But in reality I did nothing wrong, and those guys are all dumb.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 3, 2017

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

stealing poo poo from the people who ruin the server is cool and good :)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've reached peak schadenfreude. Really wish I could see the petition queue right now.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Siets posted:

Everybody must think you're a Bard!

Edit: Bluesdad buy some struggling goons a few fungi tunics :)

One of my friends with multiple 60s recently ragequit the game and basically told me to "strip" his caracters. So I took a fungi, lots of other poo poo totally like 100k worth of crap and then I decked out my shaman. Holy crap. Now I'm almost considering rerolling from Iksar to Ogre because I'd be working with JBB, Fungi, Granite Face Grinder, haste item, etc and I could smash some poo poo up ever harder.

Root rotting was a real struggle before that. Now I just buff myself and melee giants down at level 38.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 3, 2017

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Dirt posted:

Ok, three days ago I was in East Freeport drop transfering some poo poo to Bluesdad because no Goons were on. I notice there is like ~30 Aftermath dudes also in East Freeport. After I did my transfer I found them all, in the big building with 3 floors. They had a big line going upstairs to an NPC merchant on the 3rd floor. They were doing recharges. I cut to the front of the line, sold my jewelry for plat and bought a Bladestopper and Puppet strings for like 600p.

Two days later Awakened was doing the same thing in Erudin. I once again walked up and got puppet strings and some other valuable poo poo for dirt cheap.

Awakened bitched a lot more than Aftermath. Buncha babies imo
I've had a ton of tells with death threats, threats of being banned, lots of crying and begging/bargaining.
But in reality I did nothing wrong, and those guys are all dumb.

I stopped playing about a year ago, when the rest of BDA bounced over to Phinny (can't blame them at all), but I had to post here to say that this made me laugh out loud. Please keep it up.

I've still got a decked out raid shaman, and a mule so laden with plat that he's perma rooted in the EC tunnel (provided my account hasn't been hacked, of course). Sometimes I think I'd like to give some of this stuff away to up and coming goons, but that would involve installing the game again. And that might give me the urge to play again, which is something I really don't want to risk at this time. So I guess that stuff is probably just gonna rot away for a long time to come, unfortunately.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 3, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You triggered me by not including LGuk in your leveling progression.

That's because I'm saving Guk for my future Fungi Troll alt that will stick to Innothule Swamp -> UGuk -> LGuk until he hits 50. :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kefit posted:

I stopped playing about a year ago, when the rest of BDA bounced over to Phinny (can't blame them at all)

We killed Quarm last night finally :D. We're casual scum, #13th guild to do so. 11 other raiding guilds that haven't done it yet.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

We killed Quarm last night finally :D. We're casual scum, #13th guild to do so. 11 other raiding guilds that haven't done it yet.

You are casual scum. Congrats on your kill. I still like that I did nothing this xpac, showed up on a random Tuesday, someone leveled my ranger for me, got me flagged for fire and earth, and I didn't have to do poo poo but log in and kill Quarm.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Kefit posted:

I stopped playing about a year ago, when the rest of BDA bounced over to Phinny (can't blame them at all), but I had to post here to say that this made me laugh out loud. Please keep it up.

I've still got a decked out raid shaman, and a mule so laden with plat that he's perma rooted in the EC tunnel (provided my account hasn't been hacked, of course). Sometimes I think I'd like to give some of this stuff away to up and coming goons, but that would involve installing the game again. And that might give me the urge to play again, which is something I really don't want to risk at this time. So I guess that stuff is probably just gonna rot away for a long time to come, unfortunately.

Ooh I remember running into you a couple of times while I was in Homeland Security, like when we were keying for Seb, on my enchanter. I joined BDA after the Phinny thing, and they're slowly getting back onto their feet. I have some good times with these guys, but they are definitely not raiding anything big anytime soon.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Met some fair maidens in Crushbone today!

Many an orc slaver were brought to justice.

Canloe now has more belts than he knows what to do with!

(Also thanks to Welt for bringing me the Walrusbone Shield! :thumbsup:)

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Canloe Nutsack

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

quote:

Both are slow starters, but they are the top two solo potential classes depending on situation. Enchanter has the bigger payoff as a first class (better cash farm + you don't have to buy expensive as gently caress spells) but that initial grind can be rough. Cleric will be a smooth low/mid level grouping -> guild transition if that's what you want, but they solo like rear end and can't farm for poo poo at high levels.

Everyone seems to consider shamans to be powerhouse gods when developed fully, but how are they when played more casually? Without the epic, without torpor, without fungi tunic, rolled as a barbarian so without innate regen?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Philonius posted:

Everyone seems to consider shamans to be powerhouse gods when developed fully, but how are they when played more casually? Without the epic, without torpor, without fungi tunic, rolled as a barbarian so without innate regen?

Torpor is what results in godmode at 60, but around 39-44, Shamans become a top tier solo class even untwinked. Epic is something that speeds leveling up 51-60 (once you can click it) and lets you be a little crazier with lining up a bunch of mobs to root rot, but it doesn't really let you do much all by itself. Same with fungi, it mostly just results in faster mana regen and less downtime - pretty much like running around with clarity on (except you have to canni more often to get the benefit). There are a few solo spots later on where you really need the regen (or epic DOT) to keep up with mobs, but these items aren't game-changers like Torpor. I'm saying this as someone who has leveled a shaman up with a monk main and only one fungi, and I was often too lazy to move it back and forth. All the way up I got to see what it was like both ways - getting a clarity was often just as good or better.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I played a barbarian shaman from 1-60 as my main and only character. I was pretty casual from 1-50, then from 50-60 I gradually developed into a top end godmode raiding shaman. I got my epic at 55 or 56. I got a fungi around the same time. Here is my experience/perspective:

Solo levels 1-35: Grab a poison wind censer as soon as you can, they're pretty cheap. This is basically the only thing you really need to solo to 50. Buff yourself, smash face to level effortlessly.
Solo levels 35-50: Your first dogdog will make for the easiest soloing you've ever experienced. However, this only lasts for a couple of levels, and later dogdogs aren't as good relative to when you get them. As you approach 40, the damage dealt by blue mobs rapidly starts to go up. You quickly lose the ability to tank exp mobs, meaning you have to start using more effort intensive tactics like root rotting. Still, soloing remains viable, and in fact more effective than most exp groups. You won't need any kind of special gear.
Solo level 51+, pre-epic: Blue mob hp starts to shoot way, way up, which means you need to use much more mana to kill each mob. You use almost all of your mana to kill a couple of blues, then you need to med/heal up. It's still possible to solo in a few areas (the Burning Woods giant fort is good until 55ish), but it's much slower and less efficient than it used to be. Exp groups are just as effective for leveling at this point. The best exp comes from a good monk duo; a mid-50s shaman and monk can kill blues almost non-stop.
Solo level 51+, post-epic: Epic is a huge game changer for solo'ing because it means you no longer need to expend mana to kill stuff. Once you've gotten used to it and gotten into the rhythm of things, you get to kill ~4 mobs at once, non-stop, forever. (note: epic doesn't do anything for you in groups, so if you prefer grouping then this is less of a concern).

Fungi: A fungi tunic is an incredible asset to a pre-torpor shaman, and will really increase your effectiveness in both groups and soloing. However, it's by no means necessary. A non-fungi shaman can still do all the stuff a fungi shaman can do, he just needs to med up a bit more. That being said, the day I got my fungi (at level 55, purchased with cash I farmed up myself) was the third happiest day in my shaman's life.
Innate Regen: I never regretted rolling a barbarian. Troll/iksar is definitely the min/max way to go, but it's not any kind of game changer.

Torpor: I don't really know how a 60 shaman would play without torpor. It's the most ridiculously overpowered spell in the game. The first time I cast torpor, I was flabbergasted as I started to realize the crazy poo poo it would allow me to do. It basically gives a shaman unlimited mana and hp. Aside from the obvious grouping benefits, this also allows you to tank and solo just about any mob that can be slowed. But this is all pretty high end stuff that's decidedly non-casual. I wouldn't worry about torpor if you just plan to play casually.

In short, shamans are a fun and powerful class with no real gear requirements unless you want to solo efficiently past level 50. Groups at all levels would take naked shamans because slowing is overpowered. Also SoW at level 9 is super rad. Roll a shaman if you want to have fun and be liked everywhere you go.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kefit posted:

I played a barbarian shaman from 1-60 as my main and only character. I was pretty casual from 1-50, then from 50-60 I gradually developed into a top end godmode raiding shaman. I got my epic at 55 or 56. I got a fungi around the same time. Here is my experience/perspective:

Solo levels 1-35: Grab a poison wind censer as soon as you can, they're pretty cheap. This is basically the only thing you really need to solo to 50. Buff yourself, smash face to level effortlessly.
Solo levels 35-50: Your first dogdog will make for the easiest soloing you've ever experienced. However, this only lasts for a couple of levels, and later dogdogs aren't as good relative to when you get them. As you approach 40, the damage dealt by blue mobs rapidly starts to go up. You quickly lose the ability to tank exp mobs, meaning you have to start using more effort intensive tactics like root rotting. Still, soloing remains viable, and in fact more effective than most exp groups. You won't need any kind of special gear.
Solo level 51+, pre-epic: Blue mob hp starts to shoot way, way up, which means you need to use much more mana to kill each mob. You use almost all of your mana to kill a couple of blues, then you need to med/heal up. It's still possible to solo in a few areas (the Burning Woods giant fort is good until 55ish), but it's much slower and less efficient than it used to be. Exp groups are just as effective for leveling at this point. The best exp comes from a good monk duo; a mid-50s shaman and monk can kill blues almost non-stop.
Solo level 51+, post-epic: Epic is a huge game changer for solo'ing because it means you no longer need to expend mana to kill stuff. Once you've gotten used to it and gotten into the rhythm of things, you get to kill ~4 mobs at once, non-stop, forever. (note: epic doesn't do anything for you in groups, so if you prefer grouping then this is less of a concern).

Fungi: A fungi tunic is an incredible asset to a pre-torpor shaman, and will really increase your effectiveness in both groups and soloing. However, it's by no means necessary. A non-fungi shaman can still do all the stuff a fungi shaman can do, he just needs to med up a bit more. That being said, the day I got my fungi (at level 55, purchased with cash I farmed up myself) was the third happiest day in my shaman's life.
Innate Regen: I never regretted rolling a barbarian. Troll/iksar is definitely the min/max way to go, but it's not any kind of game changer.

Torpor: I don't really know how a 60 shaman would play without torpor. It's the most ridiculously overpowered spell in the game. The first time I cast torpor, I was flabbergasted as I started to realize the crazy poo poo it would allow me to do. It basically gives a shaman unlimited mana and hp. Aside from the obvious grouping benefits, this also allows you to tank and solo just about any mob that can be slowed. But this is all pretty high end stuff that's decidedly non-casual. I wouldn't worry about torpor if you just plan to play casually.

In short, shamans are a fun and powerful class with no real gear requirements unless you want to solo efficiently past level 50. Groups at all levels would take naked shamans because slowing is overpowered. Also SoW at level 9 is super rad. Roll a shaman if you want to have fun and be liked everywhere you go.

On the other hand, I twinked out an Iksar Shaman with fungi and haste and died of boredom at level 22. yrmv

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Really how is that any different from twinking out any other class with a fungi and haste and a decent weapon.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what would have happened if my plans to twink out a rogue with such equipment ever got off the ground before I stopped playing.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I tried to farm runnyeye from armor for a rogue twink. Spent 2 hours there, got bored... I think I am still there.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Dirt posted:

On the other hand, I twinked out an Iksar Shaman with fungi and haste and died of boredom at level 22. yrmv

Good thing you quit before regen and canni because you'd have worn out your canni button to even keep up.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Kefit posted:

Good to hear.

Rolled up Philonius, barbarian shaman. First few levels were pretty tough, it seems there's very few level 1 mobs in Everfrost, but now I can clumsily beat the guards outside of Blackburrow to death, so things are picking up!

Side note: hearing that decaying skeleton cackling laugh for the first time in 15 years gave me a pretty heavy dose of nostalgia :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ah heck, I've been getting back into this over the past couple weeks, can I snag a guild invite on Orihan? Playing a druid because I never did before and I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice, but it's not like I hate it or anything.

I will be completely unsurprised if I end up switching to a cleric, though. I always play cleric. I have a problem. :negative: