Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

raditts posted:

Yeah, the game leans entirely on the edgy "this ain't your daddy's Nintendo game!" adult content, that's basically what all the ads were pushing at the time as well. I played it last in like 2002 and even then the actual gameplay was terrible. Even more so when you get to the already tired Matrix and Saving Private Ryan parodies that turn the game into a third person shooter.

it was also funny because they censored a bunch of stuff from the original n64 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The best conker game is diddy kong racing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

This makes me so happy. I really thought I was the only one seeing this and was once again the only person upset about something everyone else seems either oblivious to or entirely okay with.

I would love to see the making of a YouTube video. Like, do they write a script? Do they fill it with little notes, like "Cut here. Cut here. Cut here." every other line or so? Or do they just go through the video and randomly cut poo poo apart?

raditts posted:

Yeah, the game leans entirely on the edgy "this ain't your daddy's Nintendo game!" adult content, that's basically what all the ads were pushing at the time as well. I played it last in like 2002 and even then the actual gameplay was terrible. Even more so when you get to the already tired Matrix and Saving Private Ryan parodies that turn the game into a third person shooter.

Didn't the XBox rerelease also censor parts of it? If you take away the offensive stuff, then you just have a lovely platformer :confused:

Edit: Oh, this was addressed already.

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

I like when games do that, it keeps the world from feeling like a glorified corridor. For example the Mario and Luigi games are very bad at not feeling that way.

I'm still playing through dragon quest 5 and the amount of party chat dialogue you can get after talking to almost every single npc is astounding.

credburn posted:

This makes me so happy. I really thought I was the only one seeing this and was once again the only person upset about something everyone else seems either oblivious to or entirely okay with.

I would love to see the making of a YouTube video. Like, do they write a script? Do they fill it with little notes, like "Cut here. Cut here. Cut here." every other line or so? Or do they just go through the video and randomly cut poo poo apart?

I think you're giving them way too much credit if you think that much (or any) pre planning goes into a YouTuber video. Their video editing abilities are almost always atrocious, but the standards of their viewers are probably equally low so it works out for them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 17, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

That's why it's the best FF also Tidus is fine

Yes but also it's only the second best, behind FFX-2. Anybody who still says 6/7 at this point is deluding themselves. Search your hearts, and you know it to be true.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

credburn posted:

Clearly all video transitions should be collapsing penguin storm.

The level of pre-planning depends on who's making it. Most youtubers will just have a basic outline, hence all the jump cuts. Stuff done by actual production companies is far more likely to script it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yes but also it's only the second best, behind FFX-2. Anybody who still says 6/7 at this point is deluding themselves. Search your hearts, and you know it to be true.

Nah, to this date no (numbered) FF has had as great of a character-driven story as VI. I replayed it recently and I'm still surprised at how (emotionally) mature it is. I like VII but, eh, VI and IX or bust.

FFX and X-2 have the best gameplay, though. FFX's turn-based combat owns, and X-2 is the best iteration of the ATB system easily.

I say "numbered" because Tactics has the best character writing in the whole series and probably the whole goddamn genre just for Delita.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

7 holds up pretty well I think, I only played it for the first time back in like 2010 . I was never really able to get into 6 but I only played the PS1 version which I think people complain about

but 8 is my favourite so who knows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The best FF is 5 so all of you are wrong

(the best ff discussion is always really dumb)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The best ff is both 69 as you can say they're pretty "nice"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

Nah, to this date no (numbered) FF has had as great of a character-driven story as VI. I replayed it recently and I'm still surprised at how (emotionally) mature it is. I like VII but, eh, VI and IX or bust.

I think FF6 was a really important game and it did a lot to advance the narrative RPG as we know it today, but in relief there's an almost constant air of inconsistency in setting, characters, and tone that makes it difficult for me to see as very emotionally mature in 2017. Like you have medieval knights speaking chivalrously besides ninjas and mechs on ghost trains, which cool as it may be, kind of stretches the limits of plausibility, and worse, demands to be taken with utter seriousness. I think FFX does the best job out of any Final Fantasy at creating a world that has its own internal logic that remains consistent throughout, dominatrix costume on a tropical island notwithstanding. All the major characters have motivations that make sense, and the world reacts plausibly to their choices. I know this is a low bar to set but hey, video games.

Then FFX-2 does away with all that and miraculously becomes not simply the best Final Fantasy, but one of the best video games ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cyron posted:

final fantasy 10 had awful art and the main character is bad and annoying but it have one of the best turn based combat systems and most of the charaters are good to bad rear end motherfuckers.

Final Fantasy 10 is the best FF game and everything about it is a work of art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

You search your own lovely heart, FFX is a terrible game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

No.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
LR is the best ff game, followed by tactics

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I just hate to see you post!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Final Fantasy XV any good?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmmm i'm going to believe lurdiak on this one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Is Final Fantasy XV any good?

Yes, it actually turned out to be a pretty good game. There's a few moments in the storyline that are awful but nothing that ruins the experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You know I used to feel the need to defend FFX by acknowledging every stupid thing people ever complained about like the laughing scene, Tidus being whiny or w/e but time makes us bolder, children get older, and I'm coming out to say that all that stuff actually owns, because everything about FFX owns.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I like 7 because Sephiroth is cool and would beat all the other final fantasy villains

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

plz dont pull out posted:

I like 7 because Sephiroth is cool and would beat all the other final fantasy villains

Caius is stronger than Sephiroth.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Maybe we can finally hammer out the definitive, objective list of the best final fantasy games of all time. I think I'll make the one safe choice and put Final Fantasy III DS at the bottom of the list. I look forward to the constructive and well-reasoned arguments the thread has for the other titles while I go elsewhere and wait for this to die down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the best final fantasy is the one where Sonic kisses the human princess

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Maybe we can finally hammer out the definitive, objective list of the best final fantasy games of all time. I think I'll make the one safe choice and put Final Fantasy III DS at the bottom of the list. I look forward to the constructive and well-reasoned arguments the thread has for the other titles while I go elsewhere and wait for this to die down.

Scientifically, the Many Worlds Theorem has proven that all Final Fantasies are simultaneously the best and worst, and it is only through pure serendipity that we happen to live in the reality where FFX-2 is the best.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I feel the desire to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXcL06P3ko

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not gonna say FFX is the worst final fantasy but only because of the existence of the NES version of 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

I don't hate FFX but playing it was kind of a watershed moment for me when I realized I just wasn't a FF fan anymore and lost any interest in playing new entries.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'll be honest, it's taken until now for me to play FF9 and I'm like 3 hours in and it's just pure, unadulterated joy

I expected it to be nowhere near as good as everyone said but nope, it's smashing

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the most smashing final fantasy is the crash test dummies for the nes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

*in harrison ford voice* It belongs in a museum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I don't hate FFX but playing it was kind of a watershed moment for me when I realized I just wasn't a FF fan anymore and lost any interest in playing new entries.

Yeah pretty much. I don't really have strong opinions about 12, 13 or its sequels because I just didn't bother. FF15 is so little like the games I loved in my youth, if you took the chocobos and other references out it'd basically have nothing in common. I mean it's fine for series to evolve I suppose, but FF has evolved in a direction I find totally unappealing. It's really bizarre that they keep using the title when it's gotten so far away from its roots. It's like if a movie came out called Friday the 13th that was like a pixar movie about aliens falling in love.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah pretty much. I don't really have strong opinions about 12, 13 or its sequels because I just didn't bother. FF15 is so little like the games I loved in my youth, if you took the chocobos and other references out it'd basically have nothing in common. I mean it's fine for series to evolve I suppose, but FF has evolved in a direction I find totally unappealing. It's really bizarre that they keep using the title when it's gotten so far away from its roots. It's like if a movie came out called Friday the 13th that was like a pixar movie about aliens falling in love.

Final fantasy's whole gimmick is that each game is different from the last. They just keep getting differenter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy XIV is probably the most faithful game in the series to those who still cling onto nostalgia.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the best final fantasy is the one where the hero defeats ganon and there are multiple timelines

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Plus they want it to be a AAA franchise and turnbased JRPGs wouldn't fly in that space.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The roots of Final Fantasy are in incomprehensible kitchen sink storylines, awkward and badly translated dialogue, and magical children who are actually 1,000 years old. All of which FFX has in abundant supply.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is probably the most faithful game in the series to those who still cling onto nostalgia.

Too bad it's an MMO so it's automatically poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

So I hear, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into an mmo.

• Locked thread