Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

coyo7e posted:

drat y'all got SUPER upset thar at me making fun of you for acting like a Nazi - so you came back to reiterate that, in fact, you're a Nazi. Or autistic - because you keep eyeing the prize when the field was moved on you.

Whatevs! :downsrim:

Or, as I might put if I gave a poo poo about your 'feelings', "perhaps you might think about couching your phrases in a different base because some others may misconstrue you in a negative light." :godwin:

what in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

coyo7e posted:

drat y'all got SUPER upset thar at me making fun of you for acting like a Nazi - so you came back to reiterate that, in fact, you're a Nazi. Or autistic - because you keep eyeing the prize when the field was moved on you.

Or, as I might put if I gave a poo poo about your 'feelings', "perhaps you might think about couching your phrases in a different base because some others may misconstrue you in a negative light." :godwin:

this may be the worst burn i ever read

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

coyo7e posted:

Thank you for confirming to me that you are indeed the worst poster in this thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

coyo7e posted:

The gently caress?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Inferior Third Season posted:

People need to stop saying and thinking this. Europe has far right wing parties that are gaining strength, and they already have tons of seats in the individual countries' legislatures/parliaments, and lots of members in the European Parliament. They are joining governing coalitions and getting real concessions on things like immigration bans and nationalist policies and just generally making any non-white person's life miserable, so their influence and power is not negligible. And the other "mainstream" parties are falling over themselves to jump on the anti-immigrant and pro-racism train so that they don't get left behind.

Oh, word?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

People need to stop saying and thinking this.

For most European nations the alt-right and the co-opting of their ideas by the centre-right is relatively recent phenomena. Can't really make that excuse for the Democrats and Republicans who have always been like the European right but on steroids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Europe is generally more left wing as far as policy goes, but as a certain Johnny Triggerwarning once said: when they go right they tend to go right through Belgium.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The fact that there may be parties further to the right in Europe doesn't change the fact that the center in Europe is much further to the left than in the US. En Marche! is centrist by French standards and most of their policies (the few that have been announced) are pretty close to establishment democrats.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its not fair to say that both american parties would be considered extreme right wing in Europe. I think is however fair to say that the democrats would be considered a centre-right party, and the republicans are to the right of them. And its worth mentioning too that most european countries have a wide spectrum of parties, while in the US there are two. In the UK we have niche right wing parties who are much further right (UKIP, BNP for example) we also have a number of more lefty choices, while in the US the choice seems be basically "Hard right" or ""Less hard right".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I guess you could argue that there are caucuses within legislative bodies, and you can argue they may have different ideologies or focuses than the parties at-large and how much influence they have is up for debate. I don't know if the US system would automatically be better if we had to have coalition parties with Labor+Gay Rights+Universal Health Care versus Gun Nuts+Racists+Tax Breaks For the Rich. It seems like we'd likely still be in the same rut.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

The gently caress?

Mental illness is a serious issue!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I guess you could argue that there are caucuses within legislative bodies, and you can argue they may have different ideologies or focuses than the parties at-large and how much influence they have is up for debate. I don't know if the US system would automatically be better if we had to have coalition parties with Labor+Gay Rights+Universal Health Care versus Gun Nuts+Racists+Tax Breaks For the Rich. It seems like we'd likely still be in the same rut.

It's not just multiparty systems that have more representation to the left in Europe. The UK has a two party system, for example.
But regardless of that, the more left-wing democrats in power would at most be center left in Europe. Grijalva in the house and Warren in the senate are generally the ones with the most left wing voting records, and you won't see any of them touch the more left wing positions that exist at the left wing of center left coalitions in Europe, like nationalization of utilities.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

joepinetree posted:

It's not just multiparty systems that have more representation to the left in Europe. The UK has a two party system, for example.

[citation needed]

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

IRQ posted:

[citation needed]

You are aware that two party system does not mean that literally only two parties exist, right??

Here's some encyclopedia Britannica for you:
https://www.britannica.com/place/United-Kingdom/Local-government#ref751592

Outside of the world war periods, the UK had a coalition government for 5 out of the last 160 years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They have more than 2 viable parties that gain representation, we don't.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Right. There won't be a Lib Dem PM anytime soon, but forming coalition's for minority-led governments can be really effective.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
2010 was the first time a coalition government was formed during peace time in over 150 years. Whatever you want to say about UK politics, the extremely rare formation of coalition governments is not the reason why the left is further to the left in the UK when compared to the US.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No of course not, the reason is that (many) americans are some combination of stupid, selfish, or assholes.

But I still don't think it's really correct to say the UK has the gridlocked 2 party system that we do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The lack of an actually representational legislative body in combination with the powerful executive which encourages a simple 2 party system in the US is why the 2 parties are almost always simply looking across the ideological table at each other. If one party successfully pushes one way on whatever ideological/political compass you're using the other party follows at pace. Widened gulfs between the two parties are due to inelastic bases not switching parties when their party pushes their ideological footing.

A British member of Parliament represents approximately 97,000 constituents. A US member of the House represents between 530,000 and 1,000,000 constituents depending on their district. The huge size of US districts encourages an ideological pull towards the "moderate" and makes gerrymandering much easier.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Also, the ability of the elected house to do things like redefine election districts doesn't help.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

raditts posted:

to be fair, like most terrible things, people here were (over)using the term way before it caught on with the rest of the internet.

Raditts, I haven't been on a while, and I kind of stayed off the internet after the election, out of sheer disappointment and sadness. When I finally started watching videos and keeping up with the day-to-day news after the election, I was taken aback by all these "ubiquitous" terms like Alt-right, TRIGGERING :wtf: and SJW :downs:. All of these terms are incredibly irritating and repetitive and meaningless if you try to watch a vide of a press conference or anything now. It's like the whole word invented a new dictionary and I had to catch up! And it's terrible :(

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

IRQ posted:

No of course not, the reason is that (many) americans are some combination of stupid, selfish, or assholes.

But I still don't think it's really correct to say the UK has the gridlocked 2 party system that we do.

I just said that the UK has a 2 party system. The reason it is not gridlocked like the US is not because one time in one election there were more than 2 competitive parties. The reason it is not gridlocked like the US is because by definition in a parliamentary system you are not going to have a divided government. The US, meanwhile, has had a divided government for the majority of the time since Nixon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

coyo7e posted:

No, it is not I that is mad, it is in fact u that is mad.

Seriously, maybe take a break from this thread?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey dudes...

I'll see myself out

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

joepinetree posted:

2010 was the first time a coalition government was formed during peace time in over 150 years. Whatever you want to say about UK politics, the extremely rare formation of coalition governments is not the reason why the left is further to the left in the UK when compared to the US.

Fair enough, I guess I was talking more from the :canada: perspective where coalition governments are significantly more common, and they're common enough elsewhere as well. In states with 10+ viable parties, majority governments just don't really happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Propaganda Machine posted:

Fair enough, I guess I was talking more from the :canada: perspective where coalition governments are significantly more common

So common that not a single one has occurred within living memory, and there was a huge freakout when one was proposed to take down Harper.

A minority government is not the same thing as a coalition government.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
.... Well now I just look stupid. Thanks for schooling me :downs:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

So common that not a single one has occurred within living memory, and there was a huge freakout when one was proposed to take down Harper.

A minority government is not the same thing as a coalition government.

Not in federal politics on a formal bases but they have on. Provincial level a bunch

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why even give those women mics if they're not even going to pretend to lip sync?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DoggPickle posted:

Raditts, I haven't been on a while, and I kind of stayed off the internet after the election, out of sheer disappointment and sadness. When I finally started watching videos and keeping up with the day-to-day news after the election, I was taken aback by all these "ubiquitous" terms like Alt-right, TRIGGERING :wtf: and SJW :downs:. All of these terms are incredibly irritating and repetitive and meaningless if you try to watch a vide of a press conference or anything now. It's like the whole word invented a new dictionary and I had to catch up! And it's terrible :(
I think you've been off of the internet, and TV, and radio for a very long while if you somehow believe stuff like SJW and trigger warning are somehow new terms which popped up over this election cycle.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

coyo7e posted:

I think you've been off of the internet, and TV, and radio for a very long while if you somehow believe stuff like SJW and trigger warning are somehow new terms which popped up over this election cycle.

I think the key word was "ubiquitous". When did it all become ubiquitous. It was quite insidious.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Did anyone else feel like this week's episode sucked rear end?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

WilliamAnderson posted:

I don't know if sucked rear end but there's something really quite sad about this new post-Trump season, this particular episode felt like John fastidiously preaching to the choir and knowing full well that he's only talking to people who already think that Trump is a buffoon and that Putin is a corrupt dictator; the rhetoric is really vacuous if you're not already on the same side of the issues as John and in that sense the episode was really quite shallow, both from an informative sense as well as from a satirical sense. He's really just going "these things, you already know them, but can you loving believe this poo poo is real?".

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

WilliamAnderson posted:

I thought it was on-par. "We agreed on one state, and it's Peru!" was a big laugh for me.

It would be nice to take a week off from Trump or Trump-adjacent issues sometime, but that's a problem with the universe right now as much as it is LWT.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

John fastidiously preaching to the choir [...] the rhetoric is really vacuous if you're not already on the same side of the issues as John
I don't see how this one was much different than other episodes in that regard.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
For some past topics he actually brought statistics or testimonies from people (whether experts or just witnesses) who shed some light on topics which weren't necessarily contentious, the 911\emergency-services episode comes to mind. But really now that it's all-Trump-all-the-time it's just like "Haha, Trump's a fool, we barely need to even say why he's a fool, just look at him we all hate him" and that is becoming increasingly stale.

I understand why this is happening but I just don't think it plays to LWT's strengths, it's more of a Daily Show shtick.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I haven't seen thre epsiode yet, but I feel like these complaints stem from the hiatus. You and all the other shows have had weeks to get out their input on the election and first month of office. If the show just goes full on "gently caress Trump" for the rest of the season, then yeah its lazy and not as good as it was. But I feel like giving them a 2-3 week buffer zone to get out their frustration is reasonable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

swickles posted:

I haven't seen thre epsiode yet, but I feel like these complaints stem from the hiatus. You and all the other shows have had weeks to get out their input on the election and first month of office. If the show just goes full on "gently caress Trump" for the rest of the season, then yeah its lazy and not as good as it was. But I feel like giving them a 2-3 week buffer zone to get out their frustration is reasonable.

He also does two entire bits about "We don't want to talk about Trump but it's impossible not to" and "Holy poo poo I talk about Trump a lot, here's a montage" so it's not like they tried to sneak their Trump stuff onto screen yet again without acknowledging it.

Also now that they've drawn attention to how much they talk about Trump I guess that means they'll try and avoid it in future, although there's a heck of a lot of stuff being dredged up by Trump's 'bull in a china shop' presidential shenanigans that would supply them with great topics to delve into.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't know if sucked rear end but there's something really quite sad about this new post-Trump season, this particular episode felt like John fastidiously preaching to the choir and knowing full well that he's only talking to people who already think that Trump is a buffoon and that Putin is a corrupt dictator; the rhetoric is really vacuous if you're not already on the same side of the issues as John and in that sense the episode was really quite shallow, both from an informative sense as well as from a satirical sense. He's really just going "these things, you already know them, but can you loving believe this poo poo is real?".

yea he needs to go back to his old format of controversial opinions for his crowd like 'mandatory minimums are stupid and destroy lives' and 'maybe collapsing bridges is bad'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solvent posted:

I think the key word was "ubiquitous". When did it all become ubiquitous. It was quite insidious.
You should've been paying attention 5 years ago when Joe Rogan was hippy punching SJWS and bringing on guests who complained about Hillary following Obama as an Affirmative Action President. I mean Milo was on that shows ages ago.

Gamergaters were the real up swell though.. if you were surprised somehow, then you are latgely to blame for being sheltered or dismissing those ironically racist and ironically sexist people as stupid or inferior or otherwise feeling that it didn't effect you.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread