Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Uh...aren't most sports cooperative? Like, even the track team pools together points to win their dual meets. I can't tell if that was supposed to be the joke or if Working Daze is just the latest in a long line of comics that somehow doesn't understand even the most basic premises of athletic games.

Tracksuit

I like to look at this as "Marketing! They'll do it every time!"

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...And there you go. The true ending. Now I'm left wondering what to replace it with, if anything. I could keep following along with the repeats in the giant white space format. Or, I could look for older ones in the original format myself and translate them at random. They're fairly easy to find, just not in any coherent order.

Park Seong-hoon's first comic, Bean Flour, is a possibility, but they lack a chronological source and are more difficult to find than older Dharmas in general because of the comic's generic name. I'm guessing that Bean Flour, like Dharma, was published in a newspaper somewhere, but I don't know which one.

There's also Mother From Another Country. All three seasons of it are fully archived. The third season is the project that succeeded It's All Right Chief Dharma. That one, though, was a webcomic from the very beginning, although it uses a standardized format as opposed to the infinite canvas most commonly utilized by South Korean webcomics.

Or I could just stop posting. Which is probably what would have happened if I'd hit the ending a couple months ago. I'm probably game for the rest of the year at least if anyone still wants me around.

I really appreciate the comics translation, thanks for providing Tracksuit and Chief Dharma, they're great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is a great end for Dharma.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Honestly, this current Mark Trail arc might be the thing that gets me to write a letter to the newspaper trying to get this to pull it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Good bye Chief Dharma, you were my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to translate and post.

Did they ever explain why Pru is sticking around? I thought she lived and worked in NYC.

I think she moved there full time because the people are so lovable and she gets to spend time with her friend's ex.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

"Homosexuality is an abomination in God's eyes." / "Homosexuality in God's eyes is horrifying."

Kennel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Double-dosing on my comics since I missed yesterday:

Baldo is being incredibly lazy but passing it off as "political."

Wizard of Id sliding into Hagar territory

Valentine's is over, but Big Nate continues to get owned:

Wallce the Brave plus bonus random Wallace:

Curtis

"Why don't you dress like THOSE guys?"
"You mean... that guy'd ankle? The dude with the normal haircut? Because those are the only other people Ray Billingsly drew in this panel."

NO ONE WEARS THEIR PANTS LIKE THAT, BILLINGSLY.

Okay, this one is actually kinda great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargo posted:

Curtis
NO ONE WEARS THEIR PANTS LIKE THAT, BILLINGSLY.

Boopity boppity pound cake with the hippin and the hoppin

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

""It's tough to understand if you don't live in Africa" - A black man" - a white man in Virginia or some poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargo posted:

""It's tough to understand if you don't live in Africa" - A black man" - a white man in Virginia or some poo poo.

The argument that big game hunting is the only thing standing between African villagers and savage animals is a weird one to make when the much more valid one is that big game hunting pretty much single handedly fuels conservation. If a rich white guy didn't pay a few mil to shoot an elderly lion not contributing anything to the pride it'd be a lot harder to ensure the rest survive.

But that said, I'm still against big game hunting anyway because it encourages a very unhealthy mindset. The person who finds delight and glory in shooting a herbivore from a zillion paces is not someone I'd like to sit next to on the bus, to put it mildly.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This comic is loving hilarious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

The first time I posted this no one got it, even me. But now it seems really obvious, not even anything to do with the translation.

Mother From Another Country

No one actually asked for this, but it seems kind of inappropriate to post old Dharmas at the moment, since the ending made everyone feel so warm and fuzzy. Thoughts?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Vargo posted:

gently caress yes, Curtis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXbzDeJpIc

Some Guy TT posted:

No one actually asked for this, but it seems kind of inappropriate to post old Dharmas at the moment, since the ending made everyone feel so warm and fuzzy. Thoughts?

I'm kind of interested in Chief Dharma: Origins but I could stand a moratorium to really soak in the warm feelings if that's how you want to handle things.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

I'm liking it already!

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (December 12-18, 1955)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set ain't too proud for PVC.

Working Daze reminds you that CHARACTER has CHARACTERISTIC.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has to go wash its hands again.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Six (December 12-18, 1955)

Top one still feels very relevant
Bottom one is peak Charlie Brown and I love it

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets Continued Justification for My Rigorous Use of Adblock

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
i'm glad the Phantom is about to stone cold loving murder a man for considering disrespecting him

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Looks promising and I wouldn't mind seeing more!

Vargo posted:

It is, but you'd think Mrs. Nelson would be well aware.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Mark Trail Meets Productive Use of Valuable Company Time

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 20, 1994)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Safety Dance posted:

Believe it or not, here's an interesting article on the ampersand! http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/112/

That blog truly is a work of Art.

(Time for me to catch up on it!)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 20, 1929)

Peanuts, featuring a political novice feeling his way through what he didn't anticipate to be an incredibly complicated job, and yes, this is still just an incredible coincidence. (February 20, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 7-8, 1930)

Thimble Theater (September 6, 1930)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ms Boods posted:

Couldn't you make it into a set of avatar-sized squares and put them together as a .gif? So it starts as the Phantom asking them how they're doing, cuts to various shots of the guys in the back, ends on Devil riding shotgun, for example.

(I'm clueless how these things work, so no idea if that's a daft idea or a possible solution).

That might work, I'll give it a try in photoshop and see what I can make.

:thumbsup:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Can somebody murder this loving man.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

frankly no

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is this the point where this poor overworked jaded dmv worker finds the most bureaucratic way to tell this fat ugly unfunny unoriginal man to go gently caress himself

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Can anybody else tell Mandrake, Mandrake, and UPS Mandrake apart?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Ben Franklin is high af :420:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simian_Prime posted:

Ben Franklin is high af :420:

Checks out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Needs a Bob the Angry Flower cameo.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets Continued Justification for My Rigorous Use of Adblock

One of my bosses is an ancient old man who's been an avid hunter all his life and he says that what he really loves about hunting is that you're matching wits against this beast who has to be pretty crafty if he managed to survive long enough to be any kind of an impressive catch. So even he says that a lot of hunting these days, you set up your gun with its scope and it auto-aims for you and when this animal who doesn't even know you're around wanders across your path you press a button and shoot it from some ridiculous distance away, and that's not hunting, it's bullshit. Now, I don't hunt, so I don't know much about the state of hunting these days. My boss has been known to be full of poo poo. But he knows about hunting. If he says that hunts today take no skill, I believe him.

(Granted, plenty of people still hunt the old-fashioned way that takes skill. I don't feel big game trophy hunters deserve much benefit of the doubt due to gently caress them.)

He's got an arm around you, Pru. It's a fancy restaurant on Valentine's week. You really expect anybody to believe you're not getting this?

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Oh, by the way, I'm in the hospital. Welp, bye, son!" *click*

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G