Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can I just say how much I disliked the line in the trailer for USGitS where someone says that Kusanagi is the first of her kind?

Maybe I caught it wrong and they're directing that to the Puppet master, but if they make her some kind of super unique trailblazing cyberwoman it just loses so much of what made the world cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... really? The bad guys weren't that batshit in The Raid, they were kinda on the same level as standard movie criminals. The most batshit thing is the main villain owning the apartment building, in my view.

Thats what I meant. Also a building just wall to wall criminals.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What about a movie that's basically the opposite, about a bunch of criminals trying to exfiltrate a compound of wall to wall cops? Maybe the cops are corrupt and the crims are sympathetic and pressured into what they're doing because of extraordinary circumstances, if you need that sort of thing.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Thats what I meant. Also a building just wall to wall criminals.

A building entirely filled with criminals in the worst no-go area of the city with enough firepower to outgun an elite SWAT team. lol if you think that story wouldn't fly in Trump's America

...:smith:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, there's lots of ways to write around that. Like, a criminal convention or something. crimecon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyll just set it in Chicago and call it a day.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I never took the apartment in The Raid to be wall-to-wall criminals. There's the gang that runs the place, sub and splinter gangs within it,and that's it for outright violent criminals. The rest are junkies or extremely poor people, some of who become mooks despite not being gangsters because there's a bounty placed on the cops' heads. Most of the people the cops kill in that movie aren't actually career criminals.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

Its one of the top five selling french comics. You should check out the danish editions btw, they have a lot of extra material like scetches and articles about comic and the creators.
Being popular in terms of French comic books doesn't necessarily mean it has a ton of cultural cachet with the general European public does it? Sorta like how in terms of American comic book heroes, only a few had any presence in the public's awareness, largely born out of their television versions. Which is not to say the movie can't be successful, but counting on comic book fans to carry the movie doesn't seem like a great idea.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

I mean, there's lots of ways to write around that. Like, a criminal convention or something. crimecon.

The Warriors? :thejoke:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

Gaze into the uncanny valley!

(Admittedly, looking inhuman is probably appropriate for a GITS figure)

The cool thing is that isn't even the ugliest movie toy of 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ahh!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tars Tarkas posted:

If I was Emma Watson I would sue someone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

Goddess Bunny action figure!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
That's at least a six-head.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here Lies Beavis
He Never Scored

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Looks like Caitlyn Jenner

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want Bill and Ted 3 to come out in 2019 and be about Bill an Ted working in dead end 9-5s. Then a time traveler shows up to get them back on the path and they run for President and Vice President of the United States, and then and the premier Keanu and Alex announce they're going to run for office irl.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

it just loses so much of what made the world cool.

USGitS.txt if I ever saw it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I want Bill and Ted 3 to come out in 2019 and be about Bill an Ted working in dead end 9-5s. Then a time traveler shows up to get them back on the path and they run for President and Vice President of the United States, and then and the premier Keanu and Alex announce they're going to run for office irl.

Will John Wick be the time traveler who greets them?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bill and Ted 3 should be the two guys wondering what the hell happened, since their music was supposed to create utopia, but hasn't.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rirse posted:

Will John Wick be the time traveler who greets them?

Him and Neo, and also that one vampire punk from Lost Boys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being popular in terms of French comic books doesn't necessarily mean it has a ton of cultural cachet with the general European public does it? Sorta like how in terms of American comic book heroes, only a few had any presence in the public's awareness, largely born out of their television versions.
In France comics has a ton of cultural cachet with the general public though.

quote:

Which is not to say the movie can't be successful, but counting on comic book fans to carry the movie doesn't seem like a great idea.
Relying on just the fans of a book or comic to carry the movie probably isn't going to work for anything (besides Harry Potter I guess), but this isn't some obscure property with no public interest.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Bill and Ted 3 should be the two guys wondering what the hell happened, since their music was supposed to create utopia, but hasn't.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-16/excellent-keanu-reeves-has-plans-bill-ted-3

quote:

There's a cool story, they're supposed to write a song to save the world, and they haven't done that … But then someone comes from the future and tells them if they don't write the song, it's not the world now, it's the universe. So they have to save the universe because time is breaking apart.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I could get behind a Bill & Ted franchise where they are tasked to save something and apparently succeed at it, only for it to be revealed in the sequel that they totally blew it by slacking so this time they have to save an even bigger something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shoombo posted:

I never took the apartment in The Raid to be wall-to-wall criminals. There's the gang that runs the place, sub and splinter gangs within it,and that's it for outright violent criminals. The rest are junkies or extremely poor people, some of who become mooks despite not being gangsters because there's a bounty placed on the cops' heads. Most of the people the cops kill in that movie aren't actually career criminals.

Yeah, plus there's a good proportion of people who react to everything going on by just holing up in their apartments and who absolutely poo poo themselves when the cops get in. It's basically just a ghetto apartment block that the crime lord owns and also keeps his people in because why wouldn't you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just set it in The Carter from New Jack City.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The drug raid from American Gangster is also an obvious influence on The Raid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So was Dredd!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

So was Dredd!

Did they have a time machine?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

Did they have a time machine?

Dredd was shot in 2010.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

Dredd was shot in 2010.

It wasn't even through editing when The Raid was released.

quote:

Are you aware that the new Judge Dredd film has basically the same plot as The Raid?

Gareth Evans: Yes. It was weird, because, while we were in post on The Raid, I was telling a friend what the story was about – a bunch of guys storming a building. And he said, that’s like the new Judge Dredd movie. And I said, “What?”

He sent me a link that explained the story, and I said, “Oh God, we have to get this released very, very soon.” [Laughs]

I guess he could be lying and he was watching the unfinished edits of Dredd while on set in Indonesia but that seems...unlikely

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

It wasn't even through editing when The Raid was released.

I guess he could be lying and he was watching the unfinished edits of Dredd while on set in Indonesia but that seems...unlikely

It's a pretty excellent premise if you want a lot of action and want to save some set money

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

marshmallow creep posted:

What about a movie that's basically the opposite, about a bunch of criminals trying to exfiltrate a compound of wall to wall cops? Maybe the cops are corrupt and the crims are sympathetic and pressured into what they're doing because of extraordinary circumstances, if you need that sort of thing.

Maybe this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119642/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Purge movie has been given a release date of next summer. It is rumored to be a prequel with how the Purge got started.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought the writer for The Raid read Dredd's script or something.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope Emma Watson's magic is strong enouhgh for her to tell Satan "I am not marrying you!".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Another Purge movie has been given a release date of next summer. It is rumored to be a prequel with how the Purge got started.

So it's going to be about the last election then?

I'm assuming this will be most people's reactions while watching the movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 17, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Some wise man took a look at that and said "looks like a white Obama".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The script of Dredd got leaked in 2010

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

The script of Dredd got leaked in 2010

I honestly don't think The Raid crew had any clue about the most recent Dredd movie when they were making it, we just frequently get similar movies in the same year.

Edit: Dred is basically an inside out version of Assault on District 13 and The Raid is basically someone watching Ong Bak and asking what if we did this for 2 hours. Both concepts are similar in retrospect but operate on different levels.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

In France comics has a ton of cultural cachet with the general public though.

Relying on just the fans of a book or comic to carry the movie probably isn't going to work for anything (besides Harry Potter I guess), but this isn't some obscure property with no public interest.
France, despite French perceptions, is not Europe.

e: Though a belief that it basically is would explain confidence in the series' popularity across Europe, ensuring that the movie would have a lot of interest behind it in a major movie market right from the start in the mind of decision makers.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread