Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Late but there's a whole lot of drunk mofos on the South Side that desperately need knocked out. Revis is a hero

The "terroristic threats" were "I got more guys coming" and "You want to be next?" according to the police report.

Revis needs safety help to beat up random 20 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kalli posted:

The "terroristic threats" were "I got more guys coming" and "You want to be next?" according to the police report.

Revis needs safety help to beat up random 20 year olds.

Players and coaches just need to resist the lure of the South Side Bacchanalia. That's also where Joey Porter found himself in a jackpot in the back of a cop car during the playoffs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

I think the main thing is Romo appears to have less realistic suitors then Peyton did which will suppress his number a bit. Really only the Broncos and Texans really seem to be in a position to go for him. The other good rosters that could upgrade at QB are locked into their guys, and the other QB needy teams tend to be messes up and down the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romo's deal is closer to what you said, but I could see both the Broncos and Texans hardballing that and I can't see him going to like the Bills, Bears, Jets or Jaguars to get it.

Tough to say. Those teams still have to compete against those other teams a little bit, and they both still have to compete with each other. There are enough teams for Romo to end up on (even if he doesn't want to go to those teams as much) that their ability to suppress will only be so high, particularly with a QB draft class that isn't stellar--Manning was a free agent in 2012, which had the strongest QB draft class since 2004, which would have suppressed his value a little bit, given that two of the heaviest suitors--WAS and MIA--both ended up drafting QBs in the top 10.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think it's less that only Denver and Houston are in position to go for him and more that those are the only teams out there he really wants to end up on, now that Palmer is returning to the Cardinals.

Although if Roethlisberger shocks everyone and retires, watch out

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't know that Romo especially cares about getting a megabux paycheck. Everybody likes money and all, but the Cowboys have already payed him immense sums of money, and as far as I know he boringly saved 99% of it instead of blowing it on cocaine/gambling/whatever.

The only remotely sane motivation he has to keep playing is to win a Super Bowl. I imagine he'll make any concession within reason to go to a team that he could plausibly make a contender.

The alternative is he's just too brain damaged to know when to quit, in which case whelp. :shrug:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Ben isn't retiring. He's a passive-aggressive drama queen who was mad at the coaching staff for the embarrassment in Foxborough.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Ben isn't retiring. He's a passive-aggressive drama queen who was mad at the coaching staff for the embarrassment in Foxborough.

He's right to be mad at them for that, to be fair to the giant crybaby probable-rapist pudding-man.

:saddowns: "What's defensive adjustment? Precious, what's defensive adjustment? Huh?"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

I don't know that Romo especially cares about getting a megabux paycheck. Everybody likes money and all, but the Cowboys have already payed him immense sums of money, and as far as I know he boringly saved 99% of it instead of blowing it on cocaine/gambling/whatever.

The only remotely sane motivation he has to keep playing is to win a Super Bowl. I imagine he'll make any concession within reason to go to a team that he could plausibly make a contender.

The alternative is he's just too brain damaged to know when to quit, in which case whelp. :shrug:

Sure, I don't think he cares about the quantity that much. But guaranteed money and signing bonus do more than just line his mansion; they help ensure that he'll get to chance to play at least one more season, which he probably does care about.

In terms of concessions, those only go so far--his agent is the one doing the negotiation and Tom Condon isn't a "massive paycut for my client" kind of guy (he reps both Manning bros, Brees, Stafford, and Ryan).

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I didn't think my statement implied that I really believed that would happen, but if you need to offer a fervent defense, sure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, I don't think he cares about the quantity that much. But guaranteed money and signing bonus do more than just line his mansion; they help ensure that he'll get to chance to play at least one more season, which he probably does care about.

That's probably a good case for why he's going to the Texans: they have to backload his contract because of lolbrock, he wants them to backload his contract (with guaranteed money) so they're stuck with him at least 2-3 years, so it's a pretty perfect fit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FizFashizzle posted:

Atlanta's zoo had an online contest to name a baby panda a few years ago.

"Bling Bling the Panda" won.

They didn't go through with it.

Surprised it wasn't Pandy McPandaface

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Who will give Vince Young a chance? Is anyone that desperate?

I'd take 2017 Vince Young over Brock

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 17, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh?

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/832634649985716229

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

In terms of concessions, those only go so far--his agent is the one doing the negotiation and Tom Condon isn't a "massive paycut for my client" kind of guy (he reps both Manning bros, Brees, Stafford, and Ryan).

I didn't think my statement implied that I really believed that would happen, but if you need to offer a fervent defense, sure

"Fervent defense" unlike the Cowboys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lmfao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Texans land Tony Romo I'm going to make a yuge Superbowl LII toxx

Probably

This itself is not a toxx :colbert:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

He doesn't like that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skins will keep tagging him year after year until he has a bad year then dump him

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

49ers going to sign Cousins to a 22-million dollar a year deal and win the NFC West

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The skins have more than $60m in cap space so they could potentially just eat the $24m franchise tag and then see if he blinks and signs a long term deal

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Skins will keep tagging him year after year until he has a bad year then dump him

I think that repeated franchise tags get stupid expensive fast.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I think that repeated franchise tags get stupid expensive fast.

I think you can't tag more than twice in a row anyway?

Even if you can, tagging him again in 2018 would be $29m :stare:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If that's true, then go ahead and add a new suitor for Romo and up that a few million, haha.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Romo to Washington, Cousins to Houston with his deal structured so that the first year's cap hit is tiny and then it blows up after they can cut Brock next offseason :getin:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hey Washington, sign Romo let Cousins walk.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

I think you can't tag more than twice in a row anyway?

Even if you can, tagging him again in 2018 would be $29m :stare:

I can't find any indication that you can't tag more than twice, and at least one article assuming you could go at least three times.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This actually seems like a historically good year to find a starting QB on the FA market.

Like it's a low bar to clear, but Cousins, Taylor, Cutler, and Romo is much better than fighting over Osweiler and Cassel or whatever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I can't find any indication that you can't tag more than twice, and at least one article assuming you could go at least three times.

Maybe it's just not feasible to tag more than twice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Now Romo to the Redskins would be a Favre in purple moment and I would be really bummed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

Maybe it's just not feasible to tag more than twice

At that point you're paying 144% of the average of the top five at the position, which is...a lot. You're making the guy, by far, the best paid at his position in the league after paying him top-notch money for two previous years. It just can't make sense in anything but the craziest of circumstances.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Romo getting a ring with anyone would own and be hilarious.

Jerry's tears would be 40% Johnnie Walker Blue by volume.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

If the Texans land Tony Romo I'm going to make a yuge Superbowl LII toxx

Probably

This itself is not a toxx :colbert:

I'm very disappointed to see that the Texans don't play the Cowboys next season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I'm very disappointed to see that the Texans don't play the Cowboys next season.

If they get Romo, they just might :grin:

Imagine Romo leading the Texans to victory over the Cowboys in the Superbowl

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

That would be extremely satisfying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Intruder posted:

Ideally with him holding for the winning field goal

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There is already a Cowboys fan lunatic fringe that thinks Dak should have been benched for Romo so lol

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Intruder posted:

I would be down with this on multiple levels

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Cowboys would have to win multiple playoff games for that scenario to work and that's just a silly idea.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

:siren: Light the Ross signal! :siren:
http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/1990s-clear-malt-beverage-zima-poised-comeback/308013/

quote:

Remember Zima? Clear Malt Beverage Is Poised for Comeback

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kirk.

Join us.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

fsif posted:

This actually seems like a historically good year to find a starting QB on the FA market.

Like it's a low bar to clear, but Cousins, Taylor, Cutler, and Romo is much better than fighting over Osweiler and Cassel or whatever.

Thank god we have Bradford, the lovely version of Alex Smith.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

"Fervent defense" unlike the Cowboys

*shrug* at least the good half of our team showed up in the playoffs

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Cowboys would have to win multiple playoff games for that scenario to work and that's just a silly idea.

I think you'll find that the lack of playoff success was caused by "noted Choker Tony Romo," friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intruder posted:

I for one would be jerking off tremendously, and I like the Cowboys. I liked Romo first, goddammit.:colbert:

• Locked thread