Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain Baal posted:

This is such a loving stupid and obtuse mechanic because I still don't understand what you mean by using it for a link monster or how link monsters are even summoned

So the way it works is, there's now two spots in the middle that are the only place you can summon things from the extra deck to -- that means fusion stuff, synchro stuff, xys stuff, and now LINK monsters. So once you have one synchro summon out you can't put another one out until it's dead because you only get one spot. But LINK MONSTERS have arrows on them and you can summon things from the extra deck to whatever spaces those arrows point to. Basically this is a way to make everyone buy a ton of new cards because you will need link monsters for any kind of archetype that's not normal special summoning (or pendulum summoning I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Don't dead pendulum things go to the extra deck? So I guess it'd stop you recycling them so much

The leak specified Fsion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link. So I think the implication is not 'It comes from the Extra Deck' but instead 'it starts in the Extra Deck'. So, Bahamut Shark, Ultimaya, and Goyo Guardian, Extra Monsters that let you cheat out other Extra monsters, are a no go without a Link Monster opening up spaces, but Pendulum summoning is still good to go.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dolla dolla billz yo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that is the case then fine, I can work with that. I still don't know what this means for like Superheavies or Cardians but we'll have to actually wait and see how this is applied I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Something to note, the monster in the VRAINS poster looks to be more of a "secondary" Ace for Yusaku, like Junk Warrior 2. On top of having the same colors, they both start with 2300 atk and have an effect that gives ATK while promoting the new rules (Junk Warrior gained ATK based on low level monsters, perfect for synchro and Code Talker gains 500 for each monster "linked" to it), so Code of the Duelist will probably have a CSS Dragon or something.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The new rules hit the two biggest pieces of cancer in the game currently

Zoodiac Ratpier, and Bahamut Shark

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Something to note, the monster in the VRAINS poster looks to be more of a "secondary" Ace for Yusaku, like Junk Warrior 2. On top of having the same colors, they both start with 2300 atk and have an effect that gives ATK while promoting the new rules (Junk Warrior gained ATK based on low level monsters, perfect for synchro and Code Talker gains 500 for each monster "linked" to it), so Code of the Duelist will probably have a CSS Dragon or something.

every duel ends with him summoning connected-eyes link dragon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Reiji is gonna be so bummed out when Yuya saves Reira's smile and he has to deal with his own deck no longer functioning.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
People wondered why the hell Jack Atlas did nothing but summon Red Archfiend instead of spamming monsters like literally everybody else, but he's been playing the long game about this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That was fast

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm dying here, oh my god

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

idgi

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Pendulum are dead, I for one welcome our new Links overlords

Yugi has like five cards in his extra deck, he's fine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Raserys posted:

Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Pendulum are dead, I for one welcome our new Links overlords

Yugi has like five cards in his extra deck, he's fine

Yugi didn't even have an extra deck

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
There was Chimera, Gaia the Dragon Champion, Arkana Knight Joker, Dark Paladin, X number of filler monsters, I assume Joey was the one who had black skull dragon

Wasn't the fusion of baby dragon and alligator sword somehow even worse than just alligator sword

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No you see that was in the good old days when fusion monsters were created on the spot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If you remember Z-One's backstory, you'll recall him being inspired by Yusei, but if you paid extra attention you'll see that the records of Yusei he had included some alternate history stuff, including an ace called: Cosmic Blazar Dragon

1 Tuner Synchro Monster + 2 or more non-Tuner Synchro Monsters
Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During either player's turn, when your opponent would Summon a monster(s), or activates a card or effect: You can banish this card until the End Phase; negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy that card. When your opponent's monster declares an attack: You can banish this card until the End Phase; negate the attack, then end the Battle Phase (this is a Quick Effect).

It Came Out One Week Ago.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I remember Z-One and I also remember still being pissed he didn't just turn out to be Yusei from the future.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So wait, I'm confused on two things here.

A) You can have six monsters on the field now, but only one can be from your extra deck.
B) The Pendulum Zone now takes up 2 spell slots.

Am I following this right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

So wait, I'm confused on two things here.

A) You can have six monsters on the field now, but only one can be from your extra deck.
B) The Pendulum Zone now takes up 2 spell slots.

Am I following this right?

C) You can have more than one monster from your extra deck but only if their monster zone aligns with the red arrows on a link-monster.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

C) You can have more than one monster from your extra deck but only if their monster zone aligns with the red arrows on a link-monster.

D) Welcome To The Ojama Meta, Son

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

D) Welcome To The Ojama Meta, Son

Combine it with the field spell which allows you to move around your opponents link monsters for maximum frustration.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MiddleOne posted:

So Decode Talker would let you summon two extra Extra Deck monsters, and your opponent summon one extra, but only if they line up perfectly with the red arrows? I'm going to guess if moved out of position or destroyed, the extras they allow follow suit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

So Decode Talker would let you summon two extra Extra Deck monsters, and your opponent summon one extra, but only if they line up perfectly with the red arrows? I'm going to guess if moved out of position or destroyed, the extras they allow follow suit.

Nope not according to what we know so far. Though there is already a new trap hole which destroys everything that isn't linked to a link-monster. Also, this is irrelevant in the case of Decode Talker but it's technically not about lining up, only adjacent monster zone's gets linked.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

No matter what VRAINS is about it can't be worse than Hotel Season

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/pokelivecard/status/832585988773814273

Easy to understand

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Last week's episode got 90% red/worst and 4% blue/best. Can't say i'm too shocked given how unfinished it felt and how much of it was flashbacks, but still, Arc V will (in the east at least) go down as the worst yugioh show yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Last week's episode got 90% red/worst and 4% blue/best. Can't say i'm too shocked given how unfinished it felt and how much of it was flashbacks, but still, Arc V will (in the east at least) go down as the worst yugioh show yet.

hows that compare to kattobingu

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Still a million times better than Zexal imo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

hows that compare to kattobingu

NicoNico ratings were implemented only a few years back, when ZeXal was already airing, so there's no data on that. But Arc V recently began to consistently beat literally black screens in terms of bad rating.

From my understanding, Japanese audiences enjoyed zexal more than 5D's, with 5D's never quite reaching Gx's popularity. Arc-V is just straight up getting pure hatred from 90% of japanese internet nerds that watch.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MiddleOne posted:

Still a million times better than Zexal imo

Thats isnt a high bar tho

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

maybe they should makea good tv show sometime and see how that works out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They did. It's called Yu-Gi-Oh! Gx

(And 5D's during its first 26 episodes and whenever Jack Atlas is on screen)

And ZeXal but I know i'm the only one here that thinks that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Zexal had a strong finish and some good duels at the end, but the Don Thousand duel was stupid. At least it didn't completely slip and fall on it's rear end like Arc-V did.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I am placing a bet on VRAINS sucking for the first half and having a good final stretch.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im still seriously hoping its low stakes build fighters esque stuff.
But considering its debuting with a new mechanic everyone is going to be link decks and my hopes of seeing a free for all mishmash of decks poking fun at the game past and present are dashed.

I wanted to see GOAT control vs marshland beatdown, lightsworn chaos vs turbo synchro, r4 toolbox vs dragon rulers.
Stuff like that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im still seriously hoping its low stakes build fighters esque stuff.
But considering its debuting with a new mechanic everyone is going to be link decks and my hopes of seeing a free for all mishmash of decks poking fun at the game past and present are dashed.

Would it though? I mean when the entire gimmick of links is that they restrict other forms of special summoning so I would hope that our non-protagonist characters would be all about using links to go into other monster-types. I feel like Konami at least recognized with ARC-V that pushing everything to the side in favour of XYZ was a mistake.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I can easily see Vrains focusing on just Link summoning and not using the other summon types much, if at all.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And ZeXal but I know i'm the only one here that thinks that.

Nah. I'm in there with you too. I liked Zexal.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bring back Jaden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dexie posted:

I can easily see Vrains focusing on just Link summoning and not using the other summon types much, if at all.

Nah. I'm in there with you too. I liked Zexal.

I'm split in the middle atm.

Links are the new way to limit and use extra deck, so lots of people running Links with another extra deck type would work.

OTOH Links also let you simply summon more Links, and while 5D's and ZeXal focused too much on their summon methods, that did let them really push expansions on them (like Yusei having a storyline dedicated to improving synchro via fusion and then accel synchro, and Rank-Up Magic being a key element in the early bits of ZeXal II) while Arc V got... Yuya's bigger bosses happening to be part pendulums that almost never actually went to the pendulum zone, so having a bigger focus on Links could also make the evolution of that summon method be an important story beat.

I hope it's just kinda fluid. Mostly focus on Links but when there's something that needs pushing they can implement it organically so all styles are play are present and things don't get stale.

Glad there's a few people that like it here. :unsmith: