Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For a serious reply: of course the level wouldn't suddenly go from not using the emergency spillway, to pouring 350kfps over it. But in a scenario where the main spillway had to be shut off, you immediatley have the emergency spillway having to handle potentially the full capacity of the main spillway (250k), plus if it's also you know raining a loving lot then there's additional input into the lake. The design capacity would have been set by a team of engineers who, just maybe, know a thing or two about gigantic fuckoff huge hydrological projects.

The failure here is in the belief that the emergency spillway would hold up - sustaining some damage, but not being rapidly destroyed - by 350kfps of water, and here it is being rapidly undermined by a mere 12kfps of use.

e. For reference, the capacity of the Oroville reservoir is 3,537,577 acre-feet. One acre-foot is 43559.9 cubic feet, so the capacity of the lake is approximately 154,096,600,000 cubic feet. There's a looot of goddamn water there, guys.
source.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Leperflesh posted:

e. For reference, the capacity of the Oroville reservoir is 3,537,577 acre-feet. One acre-foot is 43559.9 cubic feet, so the capacity of the lake is approximately 154,096,600,000 cubic feet. There's a looot of goddamn water there, guys.
source.

Can you convert that to football fields? As an American, it's the only unit of measurement that I can understand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Football fields are flat. These are all units of volume.

I believe the standard American Measurement Comparison for water is the Olympic Swimming Pool, right?

According to Wikipedia, an Olympic Swimming Pool holds about 2 acre-feet of water. So the Oroville reservoir is about 1.7 or 1.8 million Olympic Swimming Pools of water.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

incoherent posted:

http://sacramentodispatch.com/trump-denies-ca-plea-for-federal-funds-cites-sanctuary-cities/

The first rubber meets the road for our disrespect of king cheeto.

The question is will we turn our backs after furiously pounding our chest?

hell yes. we're beta af.

Fake news site.

In an interesting twist a dozen or so fake news sites similar to and including this one were posting inflammatory news articles ... in promotion of an upcoming movie?

http://www.avclub.com/article/cure-wellness-using-fake-news-sites-viral-marketin-250278

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Football fields are flat. These are all units of volume.

I believe the standard American Measurement Comparison for water is the Olympic Swimming Pool, right?

According to Wikipedia, an Olympic Swimming Pool holds about 2 acre-feet of water. So the Oroville reservoir is about 1.7 or 1.8 million Olympic Swimming Pools of water.

Technically only the minimum depth is specified.

It could be one swimming pool that reaches to the centre of the Earth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm, yes, there's a civil engineer working for FERC's statement on the design capacity as reported by the San Jose Mercury News, and then there's the gut feeling of random goons going "yeah that sounds like too much water, that can't have been the design capacity."

Sure. Obviously it's an impossible amount of water. That's why a FERC civil engineer said it; he can't do math.

e. We'll also ignore that the design capacity of the normal spillway is 250,000 CFS. Obviously that's an unrealistic amount of water. How could there be so much water???

I'm a civil engineer who works on the design of earth dams in California. FERC engineers don't design anything, they review and approve designs developed by others. The way the 350,000 cfs number was cited in the article was odd. To me, it feels like the answer a staff engineer would come up by throwing some estimates of dimensions into a weir equation in response to a vaguely-worded question from a boss who doesn't really understand what he is asking. Someone at FERC may think that the capacity is 350,000 cfs, but I think it is unlikely that the actual designer of the dam would have counted on 350,000 cfs coming over that weir and running across an unimproved hillside to get down to the river. Not impossible, but unlikely.

edit: Alternate theory: I'm not going to do any actual calculations, but I wonder if you get 350,000 cfs if you calculate the theoretical flow through a rectangular weir with the width of the emergency spillway and a height equal to the available freeboard above the emergency weir elevation. Like if an intern at FERC was given 15 minutes to answer the question "could water get through this weir fast enough to keep the dam from overtopping" without knowing anything else about the site.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 14, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

withak posted:

I'm a civil engineer who works on the design of earth dams in California. FERC engineers don't design anything, they review and approve designs developed by others. The way the 350,000 cfs number was cited in the article was odd. To me, it feels like the answer a staff engineer would come up by throwing some estimates of dimensions into a weir equation in response to a vaguely-worded question from a boss who doesn't really understand what he is asking. Someone at FERC may think that the capacity is 350,000 cfs, but I think it is unlikely that the actual designer of the dam would have counted on 350,000 cfs coming over that weir and running across an unimproved hillside to get down to the river. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Dude, you need to be more derisive and breathless and absolutist if you're going to survive in Trump's America.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Dude, you need to be more derisive and breathless and absolutist if you're going to survive in Trump's America.

Clearly I need more practice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I just like that the DF guy is all "Yeah, these structures are probably sound".

Checks out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, we know from recent evidence that the stated capacity was wildly wrong. The origin of that error has yet to be determined. My main point tho was that goons just flatly stating that 350k was an absurd number did not appear to be aware of the scales being dealt with for this dam.

In other words, it is not absurd for dam engineers to plan for a 350k capacity aux spillway, given the main spillway's 250k capacity. When you do engineering, you overdesign. You say "realistically we don't anticipate ever dealing with more than 200k, so let's design for 350."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Technically only the minimum depth is specified.

It could be one swimming pool that reaches to the centre of the Earth.

OK. So, technically the center of the earth would be a one-dimensional point, which would mean the swimming pool that deep would have sides that angled slightly towards one another, creating a very very very long inverted four-sided pyramid shape. Instead we'll assume that we're just gonna have a rectangle of the same dimensions all the way down.

Also, the earth is an oblate spheroid, so the distance from the surface to the center varies by latitude: 6,353 km to 6,384 km. Let's use the mean radius of 6,371 km (3,959 mi).

Because they are sensible, the IOC specifies their pools in meters: a full Olympic pool is 25x50m.

A volume 25m x 50m x 6,371,000m is 7,963,750,000m3. Converting to cubic feet with a factor of 35.3 gives us a volume of about 281,120,375,000.

So that olympic swimming pool that goes to the center of the earth holds 281 billion cubic feet of water. The reservoir holds about 154 billion cubic feet. So the full capacity of lake Oroville is a little over half the volume (55%) of one Olympic swimming pool that goes to the center of the planet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I actually did the arithmetic for a swimming pool that reached to China and figured that halving that was close enough for government work.

“One swimming pool that reaches to Earth’s core” sounds nearly as good and is accurate to within 20%.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/AP/status/832608704855937024

can we secede now please? also are any of our NG units out of country at the moment?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is that supposed to be next week's big announcement that he was announcing yesterday?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CopperHound posted:

Is that supposed to be next week's big announcement that he was announcing yesterday?

White House reps are currently denying it so who knows.

I would hope they aren't stupid enough to head down the road of using soldiers as police but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He's literally a fascist so it would be completely in line

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In better news:

https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/832608631119962113

I hope we actually get it done this time. Even if federal Republicans would probably try to sabotage it afterwards. They're already trying to gently caress over the ACA, Medicaid, and so on, so it's not like not doing so would be any better.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

White House reps are currently denying it so who knows.

I would hope they aren't stupid enough to head down the road of using soldiers as police but nothing would surprise me anymore.

They're denying it, but the DHS confirmed that this is a plan that's been floated around since January. Whether or not it'll happen is another matter entirely, but yesterday's presser has shown that Trump is entirely willing to do something massively stupid against the advice of his own, closest advisors. So even if someone like Bannon or any one of his toadies warns against something like this, there's no guarantee it means Trump would back down on trying to get National Guard out on the streets.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hopefully the ninth district judges don't get too fatigued from all the weekend/middle of the night injunctions they are going to need to do.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Good news! Zeitgeist NIMBYism won and their precious sunshine won't be harmed.

Also Scott Weiner in yet another attemt to extend last call to 4am

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

A letter from the 310 members of the San Francisco Bar Owners Alliance, read at the hearing, called Zeitgeist “one of the most important bars in San Francisco, hands down.”

Is there something I'm missing about Zeitgeist because the few times I've been there it was just full of obnoxious drunks mostly wearing tech startup/company shirts.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It has a patio and people don't care if you smoke weed there, so it's basically Pilsner Inn but the bartenders have attitude???

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there something I'm missing about Zeitgeist because the few times I've been there it was just full of obnoxious drunks mostly wearing tech startup/company shirts.

Please don't doxx me, I'm one of the most important obnoxious drunks in the city.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Roland Jones posted:

In better news:

https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/832608631119962113

I hope we actually get it done this time. Even if federal Republicans would probably try to sabotage it afterwards. They're already trying to gently caress over the ACA, Medicaid, and so on, so it's not like not doing so would be any better.

I still don't understand why corporations never got behind single payer, it would cost them less, or is it because they need to hold their employees by the balls?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Well, I guess even if the world is going to poo poo we can just get drunk.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

hold their employees by the balls?
I can't quit my job/take a sabbatical because then I'll lose my health insurance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doc Hawkins posted:

Please don't doxx me, I'm one of the most important obnoxious drunks in the city.

Hands down.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

While you're drinking, pour one out for the 2006 state single-payer bill which passed and was vetoed by Schwarzenegger.

For anyone else who gets as weepy as I do at the possibility of really for-actually making it happen this time, Healthcare For All has suggestions. You can also just harrass your current representatives through all published means.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I still don't understand why corporations never got behind single payer, it would cost them less, or is it because they need to hold their employees by the balls?

It would probably cost them less in the long run, but would hurt this quarter's numbers as employees with health problems (or with family members with health problems) would not longer see quitting as a potential death sentence.

In corporate America if something doesn't improve this quarter's performance metrics then it doesn't exist.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I think it's more to the point that single-payer was never really sold to business as "you don't have to pay for healthcare anymore" and consequently they're basically meh on it overall. Meanwhile, insurance and big pharma are VERY invested in it never happening, since it would increase competition and decrease profitability. So it's a case of apathy vs. two highly engaged and powerful lobbies.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

withak posted:

It would probably cost them less in the long run, but would hurt this quarter's numbers as employees with health problems (or with family members with health problems) would not longer see quitting as a potential death sentence.

In corporate America if something doesn't improve this quarter's performance metrics then it doesn't exist.

It's amazing how many companies are willing to give up long term profits for short term gains.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Forceholy posted:

It's amazing how many companies are willing to give up long term profits for short term gains.

It's not that shocking when you see how shielded leadership is from anything approaching a consequence. Worst case scenario if your dumb policies drive a company into bankruptcy is that you get a multi-million dollar payout and are invited by the CA Republican Party to run for statewide office.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Forceholy posted:

Theres no way to know for certainty if a company will even still be in business in 20 years but anticipating next quarter is much more accurate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Theres no way to know for certainty if a company will even still be in business in 20 years but anticipating next quarter is much more accurate.

Next quarter can take care of itself, only this quarter matters.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

Perhaps they could judge better if they didn't make such lovely long-term business decisions

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Perhaps they could judge better if they didn't make such lovely long-term business decisions

Lol, okay Captain of Industry. They should be hiring you and putting you in charge.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thanks, I'll put you on my resume as a reference if I ever need a new job.

Obviously a poor could never know anything about running a business. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just buy more money?

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 18, 2017

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Threatening to send in the national guard to deport people, what the gently caress. Hmm lets see what else these fascists have in store for our great state?

http://abc7news.com/news/trump-administration-halts-$674m-caltrain-improvement-grant/1760998/

The trump administration is going to withhold nearly $700 million dollars that were to be used for the high speed rail project (specifically for electrification of CalTrain which is a necessary step for a stretch of track that will double as the future HSR corridor on the SF peninsula), because state republicans hate it and complained.

At what point does california just say that it no longer recognizes the authority of the federal government, and stops sending them tax money? I'm sure we have enough gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads to defend ourselves from federal troops. godammit

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Liberal Crime Squad will be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rah! posted:

At what point does california just say that it no longer recognizes the authority of the federal government, and stops sending them tax money? I'm sure we have enough gay stoner immigrant terrorist death squads to defend ourselves from federal troops. godammit

Not how it works