Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Martin Scorsese' Gambit movie is looking sweet.

He basically did make the best Punisher movie ever made, though.

Travis Bickle deconstructs vigilante superhero origin films before they were even constructed. There's a reason Super borrows so heavily from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

what did studio interference do to suicide squad?

reshoots, a script that had less than 6 weeks of development, a mishmash of competing editors shoving cuts together, super rushed (but that's kinda standard).

I know a lot of movies go through similar, and multiple cuts can be done, but I just know how the movie turned out. :shrug:

google 'suicide squad studio problems' and you'll find pages of articles with the deets.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drifter posted:

I think it was more than two days. His ex girlfriend seemed like he had been gone for a decent amount of time. Ultimately his study time was done mostly while he was astral-projected, so time slowed down by like 1/500th or more. And the character Strange seemed like the type of person who could get lost in his research, especially since he was making noticeable (and magical) gains.

Basically, I don't view him learning his magic stuff quickly-ish as a plot hole. And I'm pretty loving critical of the Marvel movies.

Drifter posted:

He was already able to kinda get things started - you saw he was able to make baby sparks. Add in a near death experience and who the gently caress knows?
And like all things, actual methods and methods taught to beginners to help them get started can vary wildly. Maybe his control didn't need to be completely surrendered and an ego could still have a bit of volume.

Again, he clearly put in the time if we assume he spent a week a day studying in his astral form.

I mean, it doesn't matter - I don't think it detracts from the movie itself. It's not like it's a movie grounded in reality and realistic outcomes.

I don't view it as a plot hole either, I just think it's stupid that, again, we get another character that basically is able to swagger in and be a huge rear end in a top hat but it's okay because he's the luckiest and best person at what's going on so everything he does works out great for him and he's better than people who put legit years into this stuff. I'm not saying it's a plot hole, but rather that the film feels stupid because they have him learn everything so easily and quickly.

As far as exact numbers go though it's not really resolvable. There's stuff implying that the movie begins in 2014, but he has a bunch of awards in his apartment that are dated 2016 so like, just over a year at most goes by across the entire movie going by the movie itself. I also got the impression that a lot of that year was spent travelling and investigating stuff before he even gets there, and that he spends some time not really being truly admitted in to officially learn stuff until The Ancient One takes him on the trip to Mount Everest. It's not a plot hole but everyone seemed to agree that the breakneck pace of the movie hurt it, even folks in the thread here that loved it overall can acknowledge that editing makes it look like he just sort of shows up and struggles for a day and then is basically sorcerer Jesus.

Regarding Strange's financial situation, I mean a neurosurgeon starts at like $400,000 a year or something and I think it's reasonable to say that not a whole lot of people could afford that apartment in NYC. :P

The movie was fun but I don't think I'm really stretching to say that the story of a well off snarky white dude rolling in and magically ( :haw: ) being able to do everything better than anyone in this ancient society of folks is a pretty tired story.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 16, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't view it as a plot hole either, I just think it's stupid that, again, we get another character that basically is able to swagger in and be a huge rear end in a top hat but it's okay because he's the luckiest and best person at what's going on so everything he does works out great for him and he's better than people who put legit years into this stuff. I'm not saying it's a plot hole, but rather that the film feels stupid because they have him learn everything so easily and quickly.

I don't disagree with this, exactly - you're right the editing makes you have to assume a bit mroe than otherwise -, but the marvel movies are focused on wish fulfillment more than anything else. I mean, most comics are, too, so it's not like they're doing anything wrong in that regard.

Blame the Marvel formula more than anything else.

I thought the movie was fun, if bland, but had some cool magic things like watching Dormammu and Astral Projection. I didn't really understand the Inception World-bending from a practical standpoint. It felt like a whole lot of energy spent on something that was pretty useless in application. Like, what did caecelius gain by making the entire city fold inward a half-dozen times? Could he not have just made a large sword to reach/hit the other people with instead? Or make a net or something?

Anyways, Doctor Strange is a YA movie starring adults. But again, it's not like Marvel is pretending otherwise. All of their movies have been this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't disagree with this, exactly - you're right the editing makes you have to assume a bit mroe than otherwise -, but the marvel movies are focused on wish fulfillment more than anything else. I mean, most comics are, too, so it's not like they're doing anything wrong in that regard.

Blame the Marvel formula more than anything else.

I thought the movie was fun, if bland, but had some cool magic things like watching Dormammu and Astral Projection. I didn't really understand the Inception World-bending from a practical standpoint. It felt like a whole lot of energy spent on something that was pretty useless in application. Like, what did caecelius gain by making the entire city fold inward a half-dozen times? Could he not have just made a large sword to reach/hit the other people with instead? Or make a net or something?

Anyways, Doctor Strange is a YA movie starring adults. But again, it's not like Marvel is pretending otherwise. All of their movies have been this.

The entire parallel dimension where you can do whatever and nothing matters felt like a cynical way to explain why no one has perceived that magic/Dr. Strange exists in the larger MCU until this moment. Not to say the effect is cheap but it also sort of felt like a weird budget/storytelling copout like when the Power Rangers do a flip and are suddenly in a random desert. A way for them to have them fighting between reality without having to render a bunch of bystander extras outside of the finale.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Drifter posted:

I didn't really understand the Inception World-bending from a practical standpoint. It felt like a whole lot of energy spent on something that was pretty useless in application. Like, what did caecelius gain by making the entire city fold inward a half-dozen times? Could he not have just made a large sword to reach/hit the other people with instead? Or make a net or something?

Like Civil War, the movie stops to show us a cool action scene that serves no actual purpose. Like Civil War, it's really not that cool.

People liked Dormammu? When they mentioned a timeless, extra-dimensional Lord of horror and darkness, I was not picturing a floating humanoid head easily thwarted by a 1993 movie. There's a lack of strangeness throughout the movie, really: powerful sorcerers use spears (that are invisible!) and whips (that glow!); travel to a mirror dimension that is, in fact, a mirror; and go through portals that are simply doors and circular windows (that also glow!). What a waste.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

seravid posted:

Like Civil War, the movie stops to show us a cool action scene that serves no actual purpose. Like Civil War, it's really not that cool.

People liked Dormammu? When they mentioned a timeless, extra-dimensional Lord of horror and darkness, I was not picturing a floating humanoid head easily thwarted by a 1993 movie. There's a lack of strangeness throughout the movie, really: powerful sorcerers use spears (that are invisible!) and whips (that glow!); travel to a mirror dimension that is, in fact, a mirror; and go through portals that are simply doors and circular windows (that also glow!). What a waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdnBfgo6nCU

For real though while I am cynical about it I'm hoping the mirror world pays off - In Thor 1 and Avengers Loki communicates with earth via mirrors, not having to actually use the Rainbow Bridge (he alludes to this in Avengers 1 when they ask how he was able to roll while the bridge was locked down). In Thor 2 they mention how Frigga taught Loki all of her magic and that's how he's able to do cool illusion stuff, which we see Frigga do some similar trickery with. Someone official mentioned vaguely how there is a connection between the microverse in Ant-Man and some of the dimensions we'd see in Dr. Strange (and there is a definitely similarity, like it literally looks like Strange is in the microverse briefly while The Ancient One is showing him around).

Anyway they could do something like have Loki be impersonating Odin/whatever other stuff he's doing by entering the mirror world and projecting whatever he wants from it, which would match with how the stuff in the Dr. Strange movie works. So it wouldn't be a completely pointless thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

I liked how Dormammu looked. It was pretty dynamic.

The best part of Docter Strange: the movie is when Thor confusedly doubletakes because now his tea is a beer.

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdnBfgo6nCU

For real though while I am cynical about it I'm hoping the mirror world pays off - In Thor 1 and Avengers Loki communicates with earth via mirrors, not having to actually use the Rainbow Bridge (he alludes to this in Avengers 1 when they ask how he was able to roll while the bridge was locked down). In Thor 2 they mention how Frigga taught Loki all of her magic and that's how he's able to do cool illusion stuff, which we see Frigga do some similar trickery with. Someone official mentioned vaguely how there is a connection between the microverse in Ant-Man and some of the dimensions we'd see in Dr. Strange (and there is a definitely similarity, like it literally looks like Strange is in the microverse briefly while The Ancient One is showing him around).

Anyway they could do something like have Loki be impersonating Odin/whatever other stuff he's doing by entering the mirror world and projecting whatever he wants from it, which would match with how the stuff in the Dr. Strange movie works. So it wouldn't be a completely pointless thing.

Haha, I'm just going to pretend that Dr Mordrid takes place in Michael J Fox's Frighteners Universe, except the demon stripped Jeffrey Combs' powers and left him an FBI Agent.

We saw in Avengers or Thor 2 or whatever that Loki just changes shape, there's no pocket dimensional business. And It didn't seem like the Ant-Man's microverse as much as it seemed like Dormammu's dark dimension - although they're both a buncha balls (if memory serves).

There was a significant lack of focused car destruction in the movie. Marvel really stretched themselves. Overall, though, I enjoyed it. It was nice watching Baron Mordo develop.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 16, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jason Momoa swordfight training for Aquaman.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgoDKDFdxO/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to Variety aside of Gibson, WB is considering Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”), Daniel Espinosa (“Safe House”), and Jonathan Levine (“Warm Bodies”) to direct SS2

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Zombieland and Warm Bodies are both fuckin' dope, but for very different reasons, so that's cool but also weird

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Zombieland was a surprisingly good movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

However, 30 Minutes or Less, was...uh, less so a good movie, and Gangster Squad was pretty weird lookin.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

Zombieland was a surprisingly good movie.

That's a bit of an understatement. It's one of four good things to come out of the zombie craze.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a bit of an understatement. It's one of four good things to come out of the zombie craze.

What are the other three?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

Shaun of the Dead, the remake of Dawn of the Dead, and the game Dead Rising 2.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

Shaun of the Dead, the remake of Dawn of the Dead, and the game Dead Rising 2.

Is the remake is Zack Snyders movie? i'll check it out.

I will also say that, not speaking of the best of things, Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse was cute and fun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Drifter posted:

Left 4 Dead, Shaun of The Dead and Plants Vs Zombies.

Honourable mention to Dead Rising (the obnoxiously Capcom first one, only).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

Is the remake is Zack Snyders movie? i'll check it out.

I will also say that, not speaking of the best of things, Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse was cute and fun.

I just remember the ad on netflix where a zombie is trying to bite a kid on the rear end and that put me off.

Yes, it's Snyder's, and while it's not as funny as the original, it's a drat sight scarier.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Gunn wrote it too.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

and Gangster Squad was pretty weird lookin.

Because there were like no wide shots. As I remember it, everything was zoomed in on. It was insane, all this set dressing and costuming and the camera had p.much zero interest in any of it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

cvnvcnv posted:

Because there were like no wide shots. As I remember it, everything was zoomed in on. It was insane, all this set dressing and costuming and the camera had p.much zero interest in any of it.

That sounds Les Misérables

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the digital ness of it. It looked off. Like they used a cheap camera or something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The MSJ posted:

James Gunn wrote it too.

This is the only reason it is any good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Judakel posted:

This is the only reason it is any good.

No it isn't, the direction is fantastic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Doctor Strange Blu-Ray / Digital Release has a bunch of tidbits in the director's commentary and featurettes:

- Scott Derrickson confirmed that one of the universes that Strange flies through is the Microverse / Quantum Realm as a nod to Ant-Man
- One of the co-writers for Infinity War explains part of the structure of Infinity War and how it is different from the comics:

quote:

His goal is to re-balance the universe as he sees it. When he figures out that the Infinity Stones could do this for him at the snap of a finger, that becomes his main goal. A good portion of [Infinity War] is essentially a Thanos solo-film. He knows the power of the stones, but hasn't initially figured out their role when combined. His relationship with Death is not going to be a direct translation from the comics.

- Feige and Gunn confirmed that Guardians Vol. 2 has 0 scenes on Earth and that the Guardian's don't end up on earth at the end. In the Infinity War featurette on the Blu-Ray they have RDJ, Tom Holland, and Chris Hemsworth on an alien looking set. Strongly implying that The Avengers eventual meetup with the Guardians is not on Earth.

- They already have ideas for Doctor Strange 2 and the three big elements they want to include are:

- More focus on Mordo
- "Dimension hopping"
- Doctor Strange villains that involve fighting in non-traditional scenarios (Nightmare)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A film focused on a grandiose villain hoping around the universe stealing magical artifacts seems like both an interesting idea and exactly the sort of stuff that the Russo brothers struggled to do well when expanding their scope from Winter Soldier to Civil War.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to Variety aside of Gibson, WB is considering Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”), Daniel Espinosa (“Safe House”), and Jonathan Levine (“Warm Bodies”) to direct SS2

What are the contract situations of some of the more in demand actors involved in this? Normally I'd assume it'd be tough to get people like Will Smith and Margot Robbie to come back and do another big ensemble superhero movie but I know these days the studios always think ahead and sign them up for multiple films.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Holy crap I want to watch Dr Mordid. I could do a double feature with that 90s Fantastic Four.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I watched Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse because I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger's son was in it. That was really it.

seravid posted:

Saw the latest Marvel movie and what do you know, the brilliant white man with an underappreciated girlfriend suffers a traumatic experience, learns a valuable lesson and becomes less of an rear end in a top hat. Even with the freedom given by the setting, this is just a Tony Stark flick with glyphs and old books instead of lasers and touch screens, wrapped in the same MCU package we've seen thirteen times. What's the point?

The same reason people watch episodes of Scooby Doo. Because they like it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I watched Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse because I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger's son was in it. That was really it.

For a second I got Arnie's and Stallone's sons confused and thought "jesus christ, they really invested in the whole zombie angle, didn't they."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Watched Lego Batman yesterday and it was kind of a letdown. Like I can see what they were trying to do but the execution wasn't the best and it was longer than I needed. I liked the Lego Movie better.

Also I'm probably thinking too hard about the plot but it really bugged me the fact they go out of their way to show you the JL, the film's mcguffin is Superman's Phantom Zone projector and yet, no hero shows up to help at the end. Even if Batman is such a massive tool, you'd think Superman would want to know why is a big rear end Phantom Zone portal above Gotham.

The nods to the different incarnations of Batman and in jokes were neat and it did had some good jokes though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In comic terms, I think it's always reasonable to assume every other hero was busy at that exact moment fighting an even larger threat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The simpler and funnier answer is that the Justice League missed the whole ordeal in Gotham because they were too busy partying.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I guess. Still bugged the hell out of me.

Anyway figures of the JL have just been revealed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

B-but Superman is dead. And if he comes back, where's the horrible 90's mullet?

NOT MY JUSTICE LEAGUE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously, where's the mullet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, where's the mullet.

Maybe he gets to have a shaving scene

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They aged Gal Gadot by like ten years and for some reason gave her a crooked nose.

Edit: the nose thing might just be the angle of the picture, but she still looks too old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Love Batman's Ray-Bans

• Locked thread