Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I feel the back half of BSG plays better when you can watch it at your own pace instead of piecemeal week-to-week, on a recent rewatch of the whole series I thought it flowed much more naturally that way instead of having a bunch of dead air between episodes to nitpick everything to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Especially the last few episodes work best when you just do a big end-it marathon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as you turn it off when the show ends and don't watch that dumb poo poo epilogue.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ok guys, I'll finish BSG soon, goddamn.

For like the last five years, every time a goon has brought up BSG, it's been to complain that it gets all weird and mystical at the end and everyone's a Cylon. Now I mention I stopped watching it and everyone's all upset because whoops! turns out it's actually still pretty good. What the gently caress is wrong with us?

You guys were right about Babylon 5 though, so I'll trust you.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
"Sub Rosa" and "Move Along Home" are in different leagues of bad. "Move Along home" is a good example of an episode that can be fun, even if it's bad. It's the kind of episode I'd watch with a few friends and some weed and have a great time. It also has Sisko singing, so it gets points for that regardless of whatever else happens.

There was no part of "Sub Rosa" that was fun to watch. Some writer had a boner for Scotland, inexplicably put a copy of it in space (with a self-insert alien character that unabashedly gushes about Scotland, to boot), and decided to do a loving ghost story (pun intended) in goddamn Star Trek where it makes even less sense than the omnipresent technobabble. And all of that is before the rape apology and absolute lack of empathy for sexual assault victims because Scotland is so dreamy. :allears:

gently caress that episode.

Spoeank posted:

Finish BSG dude.

The back half isn't as good as the front half but there's still some great stuff in there. Also it suffers from goons wrecking it to poo poo in real time. There's a lot of exposition and slow plot movement in the back half so if an episode didn't move the plot forward fast enough, people ripped it apart. That's not the problem now.

Finish BSG or at least get through the end of season 4.

For the last decade, the adama maneuver on DVD/Netflix/Blu Ray is the first thing I've put on when I install a new AV component to absorb its full power.

My man

Rhyno posted:

The Adama Maneuver is one of the best efx shots ever shot for television.

:hellyeah:

Comedy option: finish watching BSG halfway through Season four, at the mid-season break. :stare:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

skooma512 posted:

But yeah Vic's was a bit overplayed for my taste. It worked in paper moon but I really don't need entire songs in the middle of my Star Trek.

I liked Vic and Sisko's duet just because it was the last peaceful episode before they got on with the finale.

And because they're both good singers.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 17, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What never made me want to rewatch BSG again was the treatment of Starbuck in the second half of the series, especially the finale.

mllaneza posted:

Move Along Home would be a classic if it had been a TOS episode. You'd have LARPs of it at conventions to this day.

TNG as well, thought Riker would be Sisko and Picard would be Odo. I'm not sure who is irresponsible enough to play it, Geordi? If one of the aliens was a babe maybe.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Actually, Profit and Lace is good and worth watching.

loving yikes, didn't realize it was possible to be this wrong.

It's very premise is the hackiest comedy premise ever. Quark becomes a laaaaady! Hijinks ensue!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Railing Kill posted:

Comedy option: finish watching BSG halfway through Season four, at the mid-season break. :stare:

Comedy option? No, my friend, the only option. I prefer that as an ending to whatever comes after.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Duckbag posted:

Ok guys, I'll finish BSG soon, goddamn.

For like the last five years, every time a goon has brought up BSG, it's been to complain that it gets all weird and mystical at the end and everyone's a Cylon. Now I mention I stopped watching it and everyone's all upset because whoops! turns out it's actually still pretty good. What the gently caress is wrong with us?

It's mostly because of where you stopped, so soon before the most awesome parts. If you said you'd given up at, say, the end of season 3, you wouldn't have been jumped on. Personally I don't hate the back half of the show the way some do, but I'll admit it gets a lot more uneven toward the end. Even the much-maligned finale has its awesome parts, I think.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Profit and Lace" isn't good TV but it's kind of funny to watch from a perspective of "what if aliens with only a superficial knowledge of earth culture decided they wanted to write a comedy." Even putting aside the premise being cliche, the writing in that episode, particularly the jokes, are so incredibly dated and forced and amounts to probably the worst comedic writing in all of Star Trek. Every scene has a moment that has you thinking "was this made by the regular DS9 writers or time traveling bargain-bin writers from the 60's."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

gently caress yo frames

I appeared briefly in this episode as the aliasing in the top right.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

gently caress yo frames

Resurrection or not I always figured the cylons in the final basestar to bite it must have been like "Oh come ON."

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey remember how warp drive is going to destroy the galaxy?

Yeah, no, nobody? Yeah I thought not. Ahead warp nine Mr. Crusher.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Deregulation rears its ugly head. Topical!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Orv posted:

If I remember correctly it was explained away in some Voyager supplemental book that they'd developed warp drives that don't harm the space-ozone so they don't need to worry about it anymore. :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MisterBibs posted:

That's because audiences never got over TNG as Their Trek in the first place. DS9 came around and audiences learned even early on (pre-Dominion) that it wasn't going to be another TNG. The numbers evaporated, and DS9 was left to do its own thing primarily because everyone involved realized it would never be Trek that got eyeballs enough to worry about what they were doing (according to The Fifty Year Mission),

Voyager came around and was actively groomed to be TNGlite, but the failure was assuming that there was still this massive audience for Trek in general. Had Voyager come out straight from TNG, things might've been different, but by the time Voyager came out, the audience just wasn't there. Enterprise was no different; Trek wasn't something that could get TNG numbers anymore.

The most interesting thing about how Trek has shaken out is that outside of TOS, Trek still favored based on how close it was to TNG.

I don't know why this seems to be the narrative that's taken hold, because it really isn't what happened at all.

Trek's audience was certainly declining after TNG, but DS9 was the number one first run syndicated show for the majority (maybe the entirety?) of its run. It was a ridiculously successful show. Its position as the red headed stepchild of the franchise was a top down thing, not something that came naturally from a lack of success.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Orv posted:

And it was mentioned in maybe one other episode at all

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched Generations for the first time last night in many years.

It is so agonizingly close to being a good movie. But so much of it feels forced and inartful. It's generally acceptable until the ending, in which Kirk gets offed by a frankly unimportant bad guy without even really knowing why he's there. Everything before they actually go to Space Heaven is a pretty good movie.

Having watched it and listened to the Fifty Year Mission story of it at the same time, I found myself thinking that maybe the best way to have done a captain team-up would be to involve the mirror universe, which they'd done relatively little with at that time, and forced Picard to find Real Kirk so they could fight Evil Kirk or Evil Picard (mix and match to taste). The mirror universe is pretty dope and it would let all the actors do fun things and have a good reason to be there.

I haven't watched Star Trek III in too long--was this the first appearance of the Klingon submarine scope?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

If I remember correctly it was explained away in some Voyager supplemental book that they'd developed warp drives that don't harm the space-ozone so they don't need to worry about it anymore. :v:

Oh of course it was. :ughh:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

I watched Generations for the first time last night in many years.

It is so agonizingly close to being a good movie. But so much of it feels forced and inartful. It's generally acceptable until the ending, in which Kirk gets offed by a frankly unimportant bad guy without even really knowing why he's there. Everything before they actually go to Space Heaven is a pretty good movie.

Having watched it and listened to the Fifty Year Mission story of it at the same time, I found myself thinking that maybe the best way to have done a captain team-up would be to involve the mirror universe, which they'd done relatively little with at that time, and forced Picard to find Real Kirk so they could fight Evil Kirk or Evil Picard (mix and match to taste). The mirror universe is pretty dope and it would let all the actors do fun things and have a good reason to be there.

I haven't watched Star Trek III in too long--was this the first appearance of the Klingon submarine scope?

No, the scope was built for Star Trek V.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Being a red headed stepchild is kind of a Star Trek tradition. TOS was only saved because of a letter writing campaign after all.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I want Worf's batleth trophy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pakled posted:

IIRC it was the :techno: reason why Voyager's nacelles move when they go to warp.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
DS9 somehow aired, within 6 months, the worst ever Star Trek comedy episode (Profit and Lace) and the best ever Star Trek comedy episode (Take Me Out to the Holosuite)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It actually seems reasonable they'd just find a way around the warp problem. Like how we switched to less environmentally harmful AC chemicals, or took some of the horrible poo poo out of gas.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Profit and Lace is made 1000% worse by the fact that Quark is shown at the end of the episode to have learned absolutely zero from the experience. And I may be misremembering but I don't think he ever displayed quite the level of rapeiness in any other episode as he did in that one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

showbiz_liz posted:

Profit and Lace is made 1000% worse by the fact that Quark is shown at the end of the episode to have learned absolutely zero from the experience. And I may be misremembering but I don't think he ever displayed quite the level of rapeiness in any other episode as he did in that one.

Well, it's in the contracts that he can molest the dabo girls.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
P&L did seem like a throwback kind of episode. Seemed like a storyline someone trying to ape Monty Python would do, but didn't go in hard enough on the farce and stretched it out longer than these types of shows go far.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People like to poo poo on Profit and Lace and then use it as a jumping off point to tell others to skip all Ferengi-centric episodes. The line must be drawn here!

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 17, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Trek's audience was certainly declining after TNG, but DS9 was the number one first run syndicated show for the majority (maybe the entirety?) of its run.

Someone posted a chart concerning the ratings of all the shows. After TNG there's this one-moment spot with DS9's premier where it pinged higher than even TNG, followed by a massive downward collapse soon after. At that time and place, being the #1 syndicated show wasn't much of a thing. Where are you even getting this info?

Paradoxish posted:

It was a ridiculously successful show. Its position as the red headed stepchild of the franchise was a top down thing, not something that came naturally from a lack of success.

I would advise you to read The Fifty Year Mission, because DS9 was never a ridiculously successful show, and they mention it. None of the post TNG shows were even close to as successful. Worf's addition to the show was a desperate attempt to get the ratings up, for example.

I know it's easier to blame the execs than the showrunners, but DS9's redheaded stepchild status is entirely due to the content of the shows.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that we're in a golden age of TV where a thing doesn't have to be hyper-popular to still get made and be really good. The Expanse for example doesn't get even a quarter of what a ds9 episode would have brought in, yet it's ridiculously excellent visually and well written. Well done niche shows that have the freedom to do what they want and excel at it is a pretty new thing.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://www.trektoday.com/articles/ratings_history.shtml

Here's a good rundown of exactly why DS9 had good ratings for the era it was airing in, but was still far below TNG.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also yeah, DS9 was a perfectly successful show and I believe did better than Voyager, it just wasn't TNG successful which was an insane ratings phenomenon. DS9 turned a profit and went 7 seasons and looked a hell of a lot better than TNG. Most of that was technology and experience rather than a bigger budget of course, but DS9 wasn't a failure by any measure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TNG ratings were loving nuts and it made a shitzillion dollars in syndication. It also benefited from being a thing back when television was basically three networks.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

People like to poo poo on Profit and Lace and then use it as a jumping off point to tell others to skip all Ferengi-centric episodes. The line must be drawn here!

Two questions:

1) How far?
2) How much further?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know why this seems to be the narrative that's taken hold, because it really isn't what happened at all.

It's not the narrative, it's MisterBibs.

He once yelled at a Fallout developer for making New Vegas "wrong" because he hated that the direct path to Vegas was meant to be hard.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Well I'm not doing that, I love every other Ferengi episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG was late enough that I think just about every major market had more than just the big three networks - there were local stations as well, which I remember usually had Trek and B5 in Portland during first-run - but it was definitely before the height of cable TV saturation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's weird hearing people be all like "Oh yeah I love DS9 it was the best. But I hated all the ferrengi episodes, and bajor and bajorans were stupid and bothered me how many episodes revolved around them, and I hated Vic, and I hated the few holodeck episodes, and Ezri was terrible, and the dominion war went on too long, and I hated all of Dax's klingon adventures, and I randomly hate half the characters" Like, what parts did you like???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baronjutter posted:

It's weird hearing people be all like "Oh yeah I love DS9 it was the best. But I hated all the ferrengi episodes, and bajor and bajorans were stupid and bothered me how many episodes revolved around them, and I hated Vic, and I hated the few holodeck episodes, and Ezri was terrible, and the dominion war went on too long, and I hated all of Dax's klingon adventures, and I randomly hate half the characters" Like, what parts did you like???

Thread isn't a hive mind, I don't think everyone dislikes all of those things about DS9. I don't like some of the Ferengi episodes, I'm somewhat disappointed with the characterization of Bajor, and Vic doesn't really interest me, but I like the show as a whole. I'm sure other people who like the show as a whole probably dislike some different things about it.