Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

seiferguy posted:

As a side note, neo-nazis like to hide razor blades behind stuff they post, so that if it gets torn off, the person tearing it gets cut. So exercise caution when pulling them off and consider using a tool of some sort to not hurt yourself.

See, this is the sort of thing that I would really hope causes a moment of reflection, for someone to say "maybe when I'm stashing razor blades to cut people is a sign I'm being evil?" I doubt it will, but it's nice to dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

See, this is the sort of thing that I would really hope causes a moment of reflection, for someone to say "maybe when I'm stashing razor blades to cut people is a sign I'm being evil?" I doubt it will, but it's nice to dream.

I don't think you get to the point where you're advocating for a race war if you're capable of self-reflection, to be fair.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

seiferguy posted:

As a side note, neo-nazis like to hide razor blades behind stuff they post, so that if it gets torn off, the person tearing it gets cut. So exercise caution when pulling them off and consider using a tool of some sort to not hurt yourself.
So this is that same poo poo about needles being hidden in apples on Halloween or do you actually believe and have proof?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

So this is that same poo poo about needles being hidden in apples on Halloween or do you actually believe and have proof?

Plano beefs up security at polls after box-cutter blades hidden on Trump sign injure man

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

https://twitter.com/SaraArabia/status/640956940714180608

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
okay goddamn. I mean I've seen the memes about the guy who lined his yard with nail-boards to prevent prius owners from running over his trump sign but wow

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

okay goddamn. I mean I've seen the memes about the guy who lined his yard with nail-boards to prevent prius owners from running over his trump sign but wow
It's an incredibly old nazi trick.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you're trying to understand these people Hannah Arrendt is a good resource. Here's a neat intro:

https://qz.com/906101/modern-philosophy-shows-that-most-atrocities-are-committed-by-normal-people-not-evil-ones/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Way back in the day, that location used to be an adult bookstore, but the city tore it down for code violations. The landowner decided that he could get back at the city by allowing homeless to camp there. Right 2 Dream Too was subsequently threatened with lawsuits from the city, and they told the city to gently caress off. Eventually the city relented. The city still wants them to leave because it's unsightly etc. (see also our attempts at a sit-lie ordinance) but they are doing an increasingly pisspoor job of actually finding a viable location. The first one that I'm aware of was under an overpass, but it was too close to the Pearl District (which, if you're unfamiliar with Portland, is the rich white snobbery part of the city) and some tenant association got hugely pissed off at the city so the city decided it couldn't be there. There've been a few other places, but they've never turned out for one reason or another. They've been at that spot on Burnside for around five years, and the city's still spending time and money vacillating over what they're going to do. In spite of everything, the city still believes that the camp needs to move.
https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/832749838764695552

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, I go out for the afternoon, and xrunner had a meltdown about people not believing that he'd eaten MREs. I mean, I was pretty much expecting a powerpoint after that citation-laden presentation.

You guys have all the fun

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here's a serious question I've been kinda wondering about: do you-all have more or less respect for California being part of the PNW, since Jerry Brown decided to call Trump's bluff and threaten to secede?

I mean they obv can't build a dam to save the lives of everyone downstream but hey, it'd be pretty funny if the only way you could leave the flyover states was by flying, or driving out through Canda or Mexico because neither coast wants you there.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

coyo7e posted:

Here's a serious question I've been kinda wondering about : do you-all have more or less respect for California being part of the PNW, since Jerry Brown decided to call Trump's bluff and threaten to secede?

I mean they obv can't build a dam to save the lives of everyone downstream but hey, it'd be pretty funny if the only way you could leave the flyover states was by flying, or driving out through Canda or Mexico because neither coast wants you there.

Simple geography disagrees with California being part of the PNW.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

Here's a serious question I've been kinda wondering about : do you-all have more or less respect for California being part of the PNW, since Jerry Brown decided to call Trump's bluff and threaten to secede?

Sure dude, a democrat governor is totally going to secede from the union.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Hey man. Do you have any sources that California has a governor or this just something you heard somewhere?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
california can hang out in cascadia after the revolution but it wont ever be PNW

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Sure dude, a democrat governor is totally going to secede from the union.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats

that was pretty easy

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Is this a serious post?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
hey, if you wanna throw out easily-laughable falsehoods I'll just throw a link to the civil war at you.

Or did you forget how conservatives still make a point to try and blame democrats for slavery whenever they can get away with it? Maybe you're just too precious to realize that parties flip sometimes..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVS24wqgeEM

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

coyo7e posted:

hey, if you wanna throw out easily-laughable falsehoods I'll just throw a link to the civil war at you.

Or did you forget how conservatives still make a point to try and blame democrats for slavery whenever they can get away with it? Maybe you're just too precious to realize that parties flip sometimes..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVS24wqgeEM

Are you... arguing that democrats are going to try to secede from the union because they did back before the parties switched sides? Because that argument makes no sense, and is bad. Which is why I was doubting that was a serious post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oh no I forgot to provide proof that this is the year 2017 AD, I am undone

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Oh no I forgot to provide proof that this is the year 2017 AD, I am undone
you didn't step up on the MRE thing (or any other thing) so I assume you're just picking-and-choosing whichever posts you feel can most-reinforce your own worldview of, well, being an air force pill-jockey? But hey tell us about your logistics background - milligrams are hard to count

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you want to expand the category of "The Pacific Northwest" to include California, the thing you have described is called "the west coast". Why don't we have a West Coast States thread? Probably because in practice it would be mostly a California thread, and there already is one of those.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 18, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
What is this MRE thing, did I miss a page of this thread or something?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GodFish posted:

What is this MRE thing, did I miss a page of this thread or something?
It was in the Oregoons thread in the LAN subforum.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

coyo7e posted:

you didn't step up on the MRE thing (or any other thing) so I assume you're just picking-and-choosing whichever posts you feel can most-reinforce your own worldview of, well, being an air force pill-jockey? But hey tell us about your logistics background - milligrams are hard to count

do you get off on being 100% insufferable or something?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
looking at history is fun to find precedence for things, but also sometimes things don't happen until they happen. Like computers or cell phones.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Who the gently caress is so petite borguise that they track what other users are doing in other threads and export it around like some sort of shitposting logistics company?

On thread topic:
KUOW has as part of their "Region of Boom" series, which is how growth is affecting the region, set their sights on Black Diamond the town i mentioned before in the thread. Theres now several stories, albiet short ones about the government imploding in on itself and its a train wreck i can't look away from. The reporters wont call out the blatently illegal acts in fear of losing access but its really funny to listen to a seattle metro prospective on a small town in the PNW, you can hear the whole thing seething with the NPR both sides are equal narrative style.

http://kuow.org/term/black-diamond

quote:

Former King County Councilmember Brian Derdowski is a critic of the development. He’s been advising the City Council (pro bono, he said) to resist what he considers the mayor’s scare tactics.

Derdowski: “We won’t give in to tyrants so we get our water, so we get our police.”

Context: That is one of the guys advising the council majority on how to run CIA sabotage ops in a town of 4000.

The topic of discussion there is passing an annual budget so staff gets paid. Its the GOP government shutdown with the added bonus of a "alternate " budget that has sections in it that would be literally illegal to enact. Like taking government grants for specific things with no matching funds and putting it in the general fund.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

the escape goat posted:

do you get off on being 100% insufferable or something?
apants and I go way back. he makes fun of someone breaking into my house and burglarizing me, I wish he'd get hit by a car so I can laugh at his misfortune. We're like an old married couple except he's the bottom and I only ever hatefuck him

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

coyo7e posted:

apants and I go way back. he makes fun of someone breaking into my house and burglarizing me, I wish he'd get hit by a car so I can laugh at his misfortune. We're like an old married couple except he's the bottom and I only ever hatefuck him

Apants is funny though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Apants is funny though.

None of us are funny

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Error 404 posted:

None of us are funny

I stand corrected.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RuanGacho posted:

Who the gently caress is so petite borguise that they track what other users are doing in other threads and export it around like some sort of shitposting logistics company?

On thread topic:
KUOW has as part of their "Region of Boom" series, which is how growth is affecting the region, set their sights on Black Diamond the town i mentioned before in the thread. Theres now several stories, albiet short ones about the government imploding in on itself and its a train wreck i can't look away from. The reporters wont call out the blatently illegal acts in fear of losing access but its really funny to listen to a seattle metro prospective on a small town in the PNW, you can hear the whole thing seething with the NPR both sides are equal narrative style.

http://kuow.org/term/black-diamond

Context: That is one of the guys advising the council majority on how to run CIA sabotage ops in a town of 4000.

The topic of discussion there is passing an annual budget so staff gets paid. Its the GOP government shutdown with the added bonus of a "alternate " budget that has sections in it that would be literally illegal to enact. Like taking government grants for specific things with no matching funds and putting it in the general fund.
That previous post was here, and here is a brief excerpt:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is she trying to steal her gavel?

Local politics own. I need to get a piece of that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
thank you anthonypants for sharing the least-erotic episode of female wrestling that I could never have imagined.

You kinda brightened my day up with that, thanks! :laugh:

But why does this KUOW website feel like it's taken from a breitbart template? Holy poo poo talk about low-brow web design.. ANd I dropped out of web-design class like 12 years ago!

Error 404 posted:

None of us are funny

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

coyo7e posted:

ya absolutely just made yourself sound like a rapist.

Error 404 posted:

None of us are funny

...true.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
sorry bro, can't rape the married, ask the president

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ugh, this thread stinks of Oregonian slapfighting. Either gently caress, then shut up or just shut up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

quote:

"In a letter to Reagan several years before his death, Wayne criticized his friend’s position. Wayne was responding to a letter Reagan sent to his supporters regarding the treaty.
”Now I have taken your letter, and I’ll show you point by goddamn point in the treaty where you are misinforming people…If you continue these erroneous remarks, someone will publicize your letter to prove that you are not as thorough in your reviewing of this treaty as you say or are damned obtuse when it comes to reading the English language,” Wayne wrote."
Another poo poo who "had bad eyes and couldn't show up for duty" who rode their stint in the air force as some kind of honorable service - Ronald Reagan.. Being pilloried by his friend John Wayne.
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/16/us/reagan-angered-john-wayne.html

Or hey, here we go with air force hero ronald reagan (whose eyes were so poor he was declared "only fit for desk duty") going out of his way to encourage people to enlist as rear-gunners, the most-fatal position in the military at that time. You go get that service medal, pee-wee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdLbEQ6Dv8

But anthonypants is a true american hero - passing out pills :downsrim:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peachfart posted:

Ugh, this thread stinks of Oregonian slapfighting. Either gently caress, then shut up or just shut up.

Feachpart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is she trying to steal her gavel?

Local politics own. I need to get a piece of that.

The lady standing in that shot is the mayor trying to reclaim the gavel from the council member who decided that the recess was over and shes in charge now. That particular altercation the council member was trying to get the mayor to hit her so she could claim assault.