Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Strategic Tea posted:

Cool rear end sermons of vivec style backstory can only do so much. At the end of the day all these infinite space gods are killed by a jedi space marine by shooting them a lot of times, which kind of dampens destiny's story a bit IMO.

Something, something sword logic, something tomb world.

This all translates to standing on a platform and shooting at dudes for like half an hour until you blow the big guy up with bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

food court bailiff posted:

Since this is the PYF thread and not the sister thread I'll repeat that I loving love Destiny despite its flaws and more games need to have straight-up laser space guns. I would kill for a colorful, goofy futuristic Battlefield.

You want Titanfall 2. The campaign's fantastic and multiplayer's pretty fun. So long as you like Attrition (team deathmatch), anyway.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Digirat posted:

team fortress 2 had some very casual servers which left the voice chat on alltalk, and they were really improved by it. That game mostly had a fantastic community at the time though. In most games, letting teams talk to each other using voip sounds like a recipe for cancer.

Yeah, I was pretty active in a TF2 alltalk community from like, 08-10. TF2 had a lot of things going for it that allowed for everyone to be a little more chill and loose on alltalk.

Not being F2P (at the time) helped, but also things like larger teams, consistent respawning, no game critical weapons/skills locked behind progression, relatively quick rounds, and dedicated servers (that you could favorite and come back to) helped a lot with making alltalk servers mostly chill as gently caress. I could probably make a big ol' effort post about why modern shooters/online games in general tend to have terrible communities.

My favorite little thing in TF2 is the spy taunts and being able to do custom sprays.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want Titanfall 2. The campaign's fantastic and multiplayer's pretty fun. So long as you like Attrition (team deathmatch), anyway.

Titanfall 2 is so good and I demand that it be kept alive

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How busy is the PS4 scene for the game?
I played that free weekend for it on PC and the scene was so small :( Being in Australia hurts it even more.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love the aesthetics in titanfall and would gladly play it if only the multiplayer wasn't a CoD-paced game with a TTK measured in nanoseconds.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm playing ME1 which is my first time playing a ME game, and while I like the codex and having all the info to read(Witcher 3 does this really good too) I can't stand the narration. It goes way too slow for me, and if I try to read further it distracts me. Luckily I have a mute shortcut on my keyboard so that solves that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm playing ME1 which is my first time playing a ME game, and while I like the codex and having all the info to read(Witcher 3 does this really good too) I can't stand the narration. It goes way too slow for me, and if I try to read further it distracts me. Luckily I have a mute shortcut on my keyboard so that solves that.

So you're playing a story centric game and ignoring most of the story.

Makes sense.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No you jackass. ME1 has a narrated codec, and he's turning off the narration and reading it himself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No you jackass. ME1 has a narrated codec, and he's turning off the narration and reading it himself.

First off rude.

Second, yea now I get it, my bad.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I liked the explanation on ship to ship warfare in the codex.

It's good and bad that it's never shown in the game, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just rescued Oliver in Far Cry 3 and after weeks of being kept in a slave's prison, his flat-brimmed hat still has the drat sticker on it. And his first words to you after saving him from slavery in a hail of gunfire and explosions are "nice ink, bro!"

Alteisen posted:

First off rude.

Second, yea now I get it, my bad.

Lol yeah I wonder why he responded rudely to your post, how can we ever solve this mystery? Go back to DoA Extreme 3, keep that hand busy so you don't post so much.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I just rescued Oliver in Far Cry 3 and after weeks of being kept in a slave's prison, his flat-brimmed hat still has the drat sticker on it. And his first words to you after saving him from slavery in a hail of gunfire and explosions are "nice ink, bro!"

Lol yeah I wonder why he responded rudely to your post, how can we ever solve this mystery? Go back to DoA Extreme 3, keep that hand busy so you don't post so much.

There you go with that projecting again.

Its the internet man, no need to be so insecure, no one's watching unless daddy put a keylogger on your PC.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm...not projecting at all? You're proud of playing a game all about computer generated tits, you posted it here. No keyloggers were involved in getting that info.

Just because you're too damaged to understand the concept of shame doesn't mean it doesn't apply here, duder.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Feb 18, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm...not projecting at all? You're proud of playing a game all about computer generated tits, you posted it here.

Just because you're too damaged to understand the concept of shame doesn't mean it doesn't apply here, duder.

Uhh, I posted about it in the dragging games down thread mr projection, you're the one bringing it up here to score points with your GBS buddies.

And shame yea, I'm totally gonna lose sleep cause something awful forums poster food court bailiff things less of me cause I enjoy a game, like drat you have no idea dude, tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this.

Look I get it, you're insecure and pathetic and in your mind you feel superior to me because "well I don't enjoy games like THAT' *sips tea*, its funny cause those trying to sound the immature alarm and trying to shame someone for a game they enjoy are truly the insecure and pathetic ones, but hey if thinking you're better than me brings you a small moment of joy in your miserable life, by all means mr projection, have at it.

I'll just ignore the fact that this little slapfight came off me a mistake and owning up to it and you flying in to get your pathetic little dig in over completely unrelated poo poo.

:shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Oh, my bad, you posted about your titty game in the other thread, that invalidates my post totally.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alteisen posted:

Uhh, I posted about it in the dragging games down thread mr projection, you're the one bringing it up here to score points with your GBS buddies.

And shame yea, I'm totally gonna lose sleep cause something awful forums poster food court bailiff things less of me cause I enjoy a game, like drat you have no idea dude, tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this.

Look I get it, you're insecure and pathetic and in your mind you feel superior to me because "well I don't enjoy games like THAT' *sips tea*, its funny cause those trying to sound the immature alarm and trying to shame someone for a game they enjoy are truly the insecure and pathetic ones, but hey if thinking you're better than me brings you a small moment of joy in your miserable life, by all means mr projection, have at it.

I'll just ignore the fact that this little slapfight came off me a mistake and owning up to it and you flying in to get your pathetic little dig in over completely unrelated poo poo.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I really liked TF2 community servers back in their heyday, people went and made a ton of really fun but not balanced maps for goofing around. I specifically remember prophunt which was silly and balloon race which was an interesting combo of capture point/payload + zeppelins. Sucks that all those servers are now dead and when I recently logged in all the community servers were empty vanilla or afk maps with annoying ads. I wish modern games would have community servers like that but I guess they're all chasing the esports high :(

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
My favorite thing in games is shooting people dead and then crouching over their corpses like I'm going to rub my butt or private parts on their face, as a display of dominance.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alteisen posted:

Nice meltdown

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Alteisen posted:

No, you were definitely the one who was acting like a jerk for no reason at all to begin with. Even if you did misread my post, you could have been like "hey dude, the story is really good in that game don't skip it"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

mr projection
GBS buddies
totally gonna lose sleep
drat you have no idea dude
tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this
insecure and pathetic
the immature alarm
your miserable life
this little slapfight
pathetic little dig

I think I got a bingo

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Somfin posted:

I think I got a bingo

Is it really bingo when all the spots are just about free?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Alteisen posted:

I wish people who played video games weren't all like this, it's probably the worst part about video games

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
i like when you get enough coins in a mario game you get an extra life

it is a little thing that makes me smile

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was playing From Russia with Love on the PS2 a few months ago, and there was a mechanic in that that I liked, where some levels had a hidden objective you could do that was just there to feel badass called a Bond Moment. They were things like shooting someone while rappelling through a window without touching the ground, little stunt things like that but you got a little popup that said "BOND MOMENT" and the old Dada da daaaaaah~ bond fanfare. It was cute and charming :3:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

I was playing From Russia with Love on the PS2 a few months ago, and there was a mechanic in that that I liked, where some levels had a hidden objective you could do that was just there to feel badass called a Bond Moment. They were things like shooting someone while rappelling through a window without touching the ground, little stunt things like that but you got a little popup that said "BOND MOMENT" and the old Dada da daaaaaah~ bond fanfare. It was cute and charming :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmbwuAbKurM

Agent Under Fire had this in spades.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything or Nothing also had Bond Moments, iirc.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Xun posted:

when I recently logged in all the community servers were empty vanilla or afk maps with annoying ads.

Why do idle servers even exist anymore? Valve broke idling for items a long time ago.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Man, that game was really good. I'd play the driving levels over and over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember I used to have Tomorrow Never Dies on the PS1 (Pirated version from a family friend) when I was a kid. It had an amazing cheat that froze all the objects and enemies in the level as they spawned in, and kept them frozen to the world relative to the player's first view of them, so in the level that ends with a ski slope at the beginning you see hundreds of objects floating in front of you on the way to the bottom.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't engage with Altesien.
She's genuinely unstable and will melt down for no reason.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I finally got around to starting Dark Souls 3.

First, the title music is among the best music in the series. It's so good --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw

I'm still in the first real area in the game, I love the feel of it. One thing I hated in Dark Souls 2 was that there were a lot of big enemies in it that were almost impossible to stagger - yet they attacked very quickly with what seemed like infinite stamina. There are some beefy enemies in DS3, that would've had a ton of poise in DS2, that you can stagger very easily, but they still have that fast recovery and action speed. It feels like a very tense fight where you're bashing them into submission, but if you're not careful they'll turn it right around on you. Feels almost as difficult, but more exhilarating. I don't have a PS4 so I've never played Bloodborne, but I get the impression that this style was borrowed from that? It's a great new feel for the series.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Captain Lavender posted:

I finally got around to starting Dark Souls 3.

First, the title music is among the best music in the series. It's so good --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw

I'm still in the first real area in the game, I love the feel of it. One thing I hated in Dark Souls 2 was that there were a lot of big enemies in it that were almost impossible to stagger - yet they attacked very quickly with what seemed like infinite stamina. There are some beefy enemies in DS3, that would've had a ton of poise in DS2, that you can stagger very easily, but they still have that fast recovery and action speed. It feels like a very tense fight where you're bashing them into submission, but if you're not careful they'll turn it right around on you. Feels almost as difficult, but more exhilarating. I don't have a PS4 so I've never played Bloodborne, but I get the impression that this style was borrowed from that? It's a great new feel for the series.

i love that visceral attacks were brought over from bloodborne. functionally, they're the same as ripostes but you can just stagger big dudes now and follow up with a finishing blow.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Why do idle servers even exist anymore? Valve broke idling for items a long time ago.

Idle maps were and probably are still real fun for dicking around on, a lot of times its a box with a mess of hallways and open areas, as well as conveyor belts to move idle players toward death spikes, all contained in and around a floating platform where falling off kills you.

It was a bit of a mini game with no real objective, my team would try to camp the conveyor belts or hold the roof of the platform from attackers who can come from multiple angles. The good idle servers had dice mod, you could get lucky, win noclip and set up a sentry in the enemy spawn to get a bunch of kills before ineveitably dying. The floating platform had tons of walk ways and weird geometry outside them to climb so you could easily knock people into the abyss.

similar to cp_orange it's the "whose line is it anyway" of tf2 servers. Anything goes, and the points don't matter. People routinely reach scores of thousands for playing there for a couple hours.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ages ago I got around to beating Whiplash on the PS2, and while it's poorly written it has a lot of charm to it.

The main idea is that you are a Weasel who has been chained to a Rabbit in an animal testing facility in that old buddy movie trope, and you are trying to escape. You do so by remembering that the tests performed on the rabbit have rendered him immortal. He cannot die no matter what happens to him. You use him as a flail as your primary weapon, to open doors you shove him in the gears until they break, and you get powerups for him as well, like the ability to grapple on floating orb things by jamming him into them.

Most of the game is fairly easy despite the enemies never dying, only getting stunned, but my favourite mechanic is the scoring mechanism - it's golf rules. You start off with a score of 100,000,000 and you reduce that number by breaking stuff. The number is the companies net worth in dollars, so you are basically making them replace so much expensive equipment/merchandise that they go bankrupt.

Also the difficulty curve is interesting, although it's more of a wall. You get through the six main portions of the company on the lower floor, (Research, Marketing, Waste Disposal, etc) and reach an elevator to the executive offices and the main villain/final level. However it needs 6 card keys to get in, one form each area. An ally gives you a new power that has been foreshadowed throughout the game - you keep seeing these electrified grapple orbs that you can't do anything with. The power lets you use them. You then return to each area, find the electric grapple points and arrive at the backstage areas. These are all incredibly hard platforming challenges with a boss at the end that has the card. They are all interesting though, different types of challenge. The Waste Disposal backstage is a lot of precise jumps on moving platforms and grinding on rails, which feels different from jumping on the gears in the engineering department, that kind of thing. It's kind of clever progression because you see the electric grapple points and you get curious and keep them in mind, then they are paid off in a memorable way.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire playing original GBA midi background music in bonus areas is a really nice little nostalgic touch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On that note I always liked the A Capella Mario theme that played during the bonus platforming segments of Mario Sunshine (The ones where fludd gets stolen)

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

On that note I always liked the A Capella Mario theme that played during the bonus platforming segments of Mario Sunshine (The ones where fludd gets stolen)

gently caress YES those were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Glukeose posted:

gently caress YES those were good.

yes, voice samples are always great game music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7Hj1fAYN4