Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

TBeats posted:

BMWs are pretty nice save for their roadsters.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I saw a BMW i8 today. It looks pretty alien in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

:catstare: gently caress everything about this

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao I'd hate to get into a fender bender in that thing

I never understood the point of BMWs, especially in this day and age. I just feel like there's so many better options for much much cheaper

Guess you gotta separate yourself from the enlisted somehow

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TBeats posted:

BMWs are pretty nice save for their Z-series* roadsters.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone who knows anything knows that the E24 was the last good looking BMW produced.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I'm enjoying the gently caress out of my 135

E: not my pic

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
BMWs were the worst Bond cars

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ahahaha what a piece of poo poo. That is just pants-on-head retarded.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

BMWs were the worst Bond cars

The only reason that happened was because BMW bought British Leyland I mean Rover back in the mid-90's, and Britain's idea of gratitude was to use BMW's as Bond cars. Nevermind that the whole deal blew up a few years later when BMW realized that no one outside of quaint farming villages in the West Midlands wanted to buy Rovers anymore.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

what in the ever living gently caress

want to do it yourself? HAHA gently caress YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ded posted:

why would you want to work on your $140k car yourself lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
well i guess if i could afford to make a down payment on a house in the form of a car i wouldn't care

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Another car I will never afford. :sigh:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Another car I will never afford. :sigh:

Pretty sure they're in the low 7-figures now.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Have fun KFFF.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TBeats posted:

why would you want to work on your $140k car yourself lol

This.

McLaren/Lamborghini/Ferrari/ any exotic are a loving nightmare to maintain or work on. If you can actually afford one, you can afford to have someone else fix it when poo poo breaks.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Genocide Tendency posted:

This.

McLaren/Lamborghini/Ferrari/ any exotic are a loving nightmare to maintain or work on. If you can actually afford one, you can afford to have someone else fix it when poo poo breaks.

bmw doesnt rate with the manufacturers you listed. those are all super car makers

there are plenty of bmws out there that at the very least have a functioning loving hood release so you can top off the washer fluid without bringing it into the dealer

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

bmw doesnt rate with the manufacturers you listed. those are all super car makers

there are plenty of bmws out there that at the very least have a functioning loving hood release so you can top off the washer fluid without bringing it into the dealer

BMW also uses PLASTIC timing chain guides. Enjoy having to replace your timing chain much more frequently than in a normal people car.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah if you have a supercar you pay someone $400 to trailier it to the dealer, have it serviced and then brought back

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

BMW does all the service on the McLaren F1 [edit]: in the US.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 18, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a car guy and all that, but even I can loving see how retarded that is. What in the ever living gently caress :psyduck:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

That's BMW's motto.

Genocide Tendency posted:

This.

A BMW is not an exotic car. It's Germany's GM, they just make different horrible design decisions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It costs $150,000 it's an exotic car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's not like there are universally approved definitions for any of these terms; I guess you're right about exotic, but the proper term is probably supercar which the i8 isn't. But BMW, regardless of the pricetag, is not in the same class as Ferrari, Pagani, Lambo. Nobody's cross-shopping those makers with anything in a BMW badge. The i8 is an over-the-top example of BMW trying to force the issue, which since the early 90s or so has become as much a part of the nameplate as the checkerboard center on the logo. It takes more than forced exclusivity and occasional impressive performance in my eyes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know, I get that electric cars are the future and poo poo, but having driven a dude's Tesla the other day, it's a sad future. Yeah it's fast and all, but it's a thoroughly unrewarding, soulless drive that just sucks all the fun out of what makes driving a car fun.

It's the car you'd buy if you actually hated driving but felt you had too much money for mass transit.

I've heard people compare driving a car as to riding a motorcycle as "a car is like watching a painting of someone driving". And the Tesla was like another layer of abstraction away from that.

Better get used to it though, the future and all that. Wooo.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I want the car to drive me while I sleep I don't give a gently caress bitch

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

I want the car to drive me while I sleep I don't give a gently caress bitch

I want one of each.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

nah, it's a halo car.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

nah, it's a halo car.

semantics. halo cars are generally exotic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The most enjoyable car I've ever driven was my 93 Audi A80.

The car was beat up, had a manual, and I didn't give a poo poo about prolonging its life.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

semantics. halo cars are generally exotic.

My understanding:
Halo cars are made by mass market car makers and priced above their standard lineup. e.g. Audi R8.
Exotics are by low volume manufacturers that don't have a mass market lineup. e.g. anything by Koenigsegg.
Supercars can be in either category depending on who makes them, so the Ford GT would be a halo supercar for Ford, whereas the Enzo Ferrari would be an exotic supercar.

The difference being that a halo car is supposed to attract average people to the brand, enticing them to buy a regular sedan which they can afford while dreaming of the halo which they can't.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Stultus Maximus posted:

nah, it's a halo car.

No that would be a Warthog

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

not caring here posted:

You know, I get that cars are the future and poo poo, but having driven one the other day, it's a sad future. Yeah it's fast and all, but it's a thoroughly unrewarding, soulless drive that just sucks all the fun out of what makes riding a horse fun.

It's the car you'd buy if you actually hated riding horses but felt you had too much money to walk to the market.

not caring here posted:

You know, I get that horses are the future and poo poo, but having ridden one the other day, it's a sad future. Yeah it's fast and all, but it's a thoroughly unrewarding, soulless ride that just sucks all the fun out of what makes eating grapes while relaxing on a palanquin carried by slaves fun.

It's the thing you'd buy if you actually hated eating grapes while borne on a palanquin carried by slaves but felt you had too much money and couldn't bear the luxury tax of importing the good looking ones.

not caring here posted:

You know, I get that palanquins borne by slaves are the future and poo poo, but having ridden one the other day, it's a sad future. Yeah it's fast and all, but it's a thoroughly unrewarding, soulless drive that just sucks all the fun out of what makes sending my inbred daughters on a three day trip to the tribal council fun.

It's the thing you'd buy if you actually hated creating inbred offspring with your sister-queen but felt you had too much money for setting up a surrogate tribal council outside your own palace

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Max dad day. Both our wives are out of town so dad and I are on patio at a cigar bar and later we're going to try a new Thai place

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Woof Blitzer posted:

nice

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Woof Blitzer posted:

You mean a puma?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress electric cars, if I'm spending north of fifty grand on a fuckin car that goes zoom I'm getting myself a mid-90s NSX

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress electric cars, if I'm spending north of fifty grand on a fuckin car that goes zoom I'm getting myself a mid-90s NSX

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

• Locked thread