Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xeiros posted:

Normies getting bent out of shape over Maid Dragon continues to be both sad and amusing. All of things they find offensive, creepy, off-putting, etc in fiction I either enjoy or am indifferent to. I'd already encountered them in far more explicit circumstances in other forms of fiction and they didn't bother me then. It was always sort of oh that's a thing or I never knew that existed type deal. This is not even a case of desensitization. Like say you walk into your relatives house with their floors soaked with dog piss and the smell is so awful you can barely stand it, but over time you just got used to it. Nothing like that.

It's fiction. Part of our minds, the sometimes rational parts, knows that everything we see in Maid Dragon is nothing more than a series of ideas cobbled together and represented through writing, drawings, sounds, etc to simulate an experience. The simulation works so well it invokes real emotions. We cry and feel awful when a character dies as if a real person had passed away.

The manga ending to Usagi Drop, Shiro panties in NGNL, anything in Kodomo no Jikan? All that and many others never even remotely bothered or upset me. There's always been that very clear divide that keeps normies on one side of the anime and manga fandom. This is that divide. They see those things that are often considered in society to be immoral, unethical, unlawful, and wrong in the real world depicted in some form in fiction and cannot deal with it. Those fictional kids are being exploited or that fictional character is being molested or raped! This is not right! Someone think of the well being of the made up people in these fabricated events!

Incest? So? Rape! Your point? Child Molestation! It's not real. Can you tell? No matter how close to reality fiction depicts certain characters or events it's never anything more than fiction. It's sort of like The Treachery of Images painting by René Magritte. It's times like these I'm reminded how unlike most people I really am. Oh and by the way the censored line during the Lucoa scene at Kobayashi's pace was that she had raped her sister. Rape and incest at the same time! Now that's going too far! Delete! They apparently felt the mere mention of those things was too much. Wonder if the normies would have had a crying fit if they had left it in.

It's extra funny when you understand that by censoring the manga at points, but then not doing so at other points for the animated adapted they've actually made the blow harder for normies unfamiliar with the source to take. They had no idea what they were in for. No! Not my wholesome family dragon maid anime experience! My eyes! No! Get it away! Make it stop! I love the manga and I love the direction they decided to take it for the adaptation which is as it's supposed to be not a one to one copy, but a reinterpretation of the given material at least to a certain extent.

As far as the absolutely ridiculous notion that fictional immorality effects real people, I refer you to this image.

as someone who didn't think the episode was that bad: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sure didn't take long to see something worse than episode 6 of maidragon

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
source your quotes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nice Meltdown?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This season's Bad KyoAni Discourse is particularly bad

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
*Innocent ADTRW poster, chatting about Maidragon*: Anyways, while I'm not entirely comfortable with-

*Xeiros, clicking "New Reply"*:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
drat... I agree with the general conceit that fiction is fiction but I think you should try to argue that point without being an rear end in a top hat.

I mean I certainly don't think Cool Kyoushinsha or Kyoani should be punished for anything they do with fictional characters, but you also seem to be saying that they should be immune to criticism over these specific things which is just dumb.

"The simulation works so well it invokes real emotions. We cry and feel awful when a character dies as if a real person had passed away." Disgust is a human emotion, so it should be no surprise to you that some people have that reaction.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Just because it's not real doesn't mean it's not weird and creepy

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Let's talk about something better, like whether Fafnir would be a good boyfriend or whether he'd leave his dirty socks out and refuse to cuddle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Let's talk about something better, like whether Fafnir would be a good boyfriend or whether he'd leave his dirty socks out and refuse to cuddle.

Fucker doesn't even have a job and spends 21 hours a day on WoW. I think it's clear who the better half is in that relationship

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

He'd definitely refuse to cuddle, but he's a dragon who creates clothes through magic as part of an advanced transformation spell. So I don't know if he can even have dirty socks.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He'd definitely refuse to cuddle, but he's a dragon who creates clothes through magic as part of an advanced transformation spell. So I don't know if he can even have dirty socks.

Molting, dawg, molting. You need to get your freak/fantasy reader (but I repeat myself) levels up a bit.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Fucker doesn't even have a job and spends 21 hours a day on WoW. I think it's clear who the better half is in that relationship

I bet his taste in beer sucks too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

fafnir is a top

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

I like the part of your post with the pro-perv words I didn't read. :v:

FanofPortals fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 18, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

disagree

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

both of you present your reasoning please

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Brainiac Five posted:

whether Fafnir would be a good boyfriend

Yes

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

no

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Guy is obviously correct, that fringe is for looking through demurely. Also Fafnir is clearly fine with being hosed by MMO developers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

First of all, would Fafnir understand what they're doing?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Would Fafnir buy microtransaction stuff?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

Prides himself on grinding it legit

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
He'd be a sucker for anything that's a limited edition.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

He has no money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

Fafnir is 100% a powerbottom how is this even up for debate????

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/GigglePox/status/832263961483542530

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Fafnir is 100% a powerbottom how is this even up for debate????

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think Takiya would definitely take the lead but I could see Faf service topping

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
There's not enough assertive bottoms in 'me so I'm going with this interpretation now

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Important reminder to us all.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I hope they lewd only the male dragons from this point on :twisted:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Don't lewd Kanna. I don't give a gently caress about the rest. :awesome:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hey, he's just one step away from a Twitch partnership

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrade Kirov posted:

Important reminder to us all.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

I hope they lewd only the male dragons from this point on :twisted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm the frog and I'm glad I'm finally getting fanserviced

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Hey Lucoa isn't for lewd, she's an inspiration. One day I hope to have back muscles as strong as hers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Was that a curtain made out of hanging M:tG cards in the nerd's apartment?

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Part of the issue is that people want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to come into a show totally blind and unspoiled knowing nothing at all about it. A show that could well contain some elements that put them off, that they don't want any part of.
It's fine to not want to experience those unpleasant things in your fictional entertainment, but you can't choose to watch a show that contains them, cry about it, and when asked why you watched a show that had X unpleasant things in it, your only response is that you didn't know better because you didn't do the proper research since you wanted to be spoiler free.

Imagine yourself sitting down at a restaurant, menu in hand. How much effort do you go into to ensure you know exactly what's in the meal you plan to order, that you know and are okay with each individual ingredient you're going to be shoving into your body in the next few minutes? You don't just order some random thing of the menu without knowing what you're getting right? Surely not. Not if you don't want to live …. dangerously.

Viewer discretion is advised. Everyone here should be familiar with this phrase. This pretty much applies to any rating above G or E for everyone, etc. It is your responsibility to do your due diligence and make sure you are aware of all the ingredients of a work before you consume it. Otherwise you don't get to complain when it has something you didn't want to experience. Problem is you can't do that and be spoiler free at the same time. Pick your poison.

The IMDB parental guide section for a piece of work is a great source for this. It details without any context all of the objectionable material in a given work, yes, this includes anime series. Even with no context they still give away the fact certain things are going to happen so they do more or less spoil events. That's the price you pay for knowing exactly what you're going to get.

So when you see a show rated TV MA or a movie rated R or a game rate M or again anything above the lowest, safest rating for your country, that's a huge, loud, blaring, warning siren to stop and use discretion before proceeding any further. To make sure you know what you're in for because it is no one's fault but yours should you decide sink your teeth into that pumpkin cake with walnuts when you're allergic to walnuts. I didn't know! I didn't want to be spoiled! That's the price you pay for that fully blind first time experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

• Locked thread