Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

What's everyone's favourite league starter build/fast leveling skills? I always like to use the same skill as my final build while leveling but I've realised that's a really dumb idea in certain cases. What's the current setup that will let you crush everything until maps?

flameblast totem chieftan will crush everything up to and including t15 maps on an extreme budget (tabula + max resists). You can push it through Shaper if you get the new totem shield, but that's a bit more of an investment (5ish ex).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
...I did not realize that shield was so expensive (cheapest I saw just a minute ago was 7ex).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

panda clue posted:

flameblast totem chieftan will crush everything up to and including t15 maps on an extreme budget (tabula + max resists). You can push it through Shaper if you get the new totem shield, but that's a bit more of an investment (5ish ex).

Why Chieftan? Just about everything I see for Flameblast Totems uses Inquisitor. Chieftan is used more for Flame Totem and the melee totems.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cinara posted:

Why Chieftan? Just about everything I see for Flameblast Totems uses Inquisitor. Chieftan is used more for Flame Totem and the melee totems.

I think you mean Hierophant? It is also good; it's a bit less tanky and a bit more damage. Chieftan gives you leech on your totems, much tankier totems, and has your totems taunt enemies. Hierophant gives you more totems, but they are far less tanky, which can be very annoying in many situations.

Having only two totems with Chieftan doesn't feel great, so you really need to get the shield if you want it to pop. Hierophant can function better without it, so it scales better on a budget, but I feel it can't do difficult content as easily as Chieftan might be able to. If you truly just want something to start the league and transition into another build once you farm up a good currency base, Hierophant is probably better. If you're only going to do one build and you want to be able to do literally everything in the game with it without much of an issue, Chieftan.

whypick1 posted:

...I did not realize that shield was so expensive (cheapest I saw just a minute ago was 7ex).

Yeah it's more than 5 now, I was just thinking back to how much it was early in the league, when it was around 4. I'm guesstimating it'll be around that at the start of next league as well.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 18, 2017

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

panda clue posted:

I think you mean Hierophant?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1730745

The most popular guide I could find prefers Inquisitor, but says Heirophant is fine also. Almost everyone on the HC and SC ladder playing it at the start of the league in Breach was Inquisitor though from what I saw, with a few playing Elementalist.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cinara posted:

The most popular guide I could find prefers Inquisitor, but says Heirophant is fine also. Almost everyone on the HC and SC ladder playing it at the start of the league in Breach was Inquisitor though from what I saw, with a few playing Elementalist.

Weird, never heard of that, so I can't speak much about it. Flameblast totems would work just fine for leveling/starting maps with literally no Ascendancy though, so if that looks good to you, go hog wild!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

MTX attached to 'slots' rather than specific gears, more fanfare when you open a box (ala Overwatch), presumably something you can do with your duplicates.
Source?

panda clue posted:

Weird, never heard of that, so I can't speak much about it.
:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 18, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chris or Jonathan, somewhere. Probably reddit. Not going to bother looking it up. The only thing I was guessing about was the duplicates thing, the others they have confirmed.

?

panda clue fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 18, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Chris or Jonathan, somewhere. Probably reddit. Not going to bother looking it up. The only thing I was guessing about was the duplicates thing, the others they have confirmed.

?
Oh I see. Going to look up more interviews later I guess, as they seem to be discussing interesting substance (presuming it's that and not just a reddit post). Also, drat, these are some sweet sweet changes for MTX usability.

As for FBT, I'm really surprised that you have neither ever heard of the Inquisitor flavour, nor mention the Elementalist one.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Believe it or not I don't know literally every build that exists in this game! Don't wanna recommend theoretical builds that I don't know for a fact work well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Believe it or not I don't know literally every build that exists in this game! Don't wanna recommend theoretical builds that I don't know for a fact work well.
All builds sure, I just assumed you've thought about your favourite league starter build.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Am I the only one feels that there is no point to play the current league now :(

panda clue
May 23, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

All builds sure, I just assumed you've thought about your favourite league starter build.

Yes, I did. I described it on this very page, in fact.

jerichojx posted:

Am I the only one feels that there is no point to play the current league now :(

I think most people move on to other games towards the end of the league.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 18, 2017

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

panda clue posted:

Yes, I did. I described it on this very page, in fact.

I think most people move on to other games towards the end of the league.

End of the league starts before the first month is over

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Jusupov posted:

End of the league starts before the first month is over

Nah, this League is still active even now. Retention is higher than it's ever been for PoE. Obviously people drop off over time, but it's hardly a problem.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Hey, if you don't want to play it, I'm sure myself and others would give your stuff a good and loving home. I think most people are basically in maintenance mode at this point though. Playing for fun instead of pushing for anything in particular. I mean, I'm trying but I'm bad at the game so I doubt I'll hit the wings.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Hey, if you don't want to play it, I'm sure myself and others would give your stuff a good and loving home. I think most people are basically in maintenance mode at this point though. Playing for fun instead of pushing for anything in particular. I mean, I'm trying but I'm bad at the game so I doubt I'll hit the wings.

Hah, my highest character is 38. I doubt you want my stuff

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

jerichojx posted:

it's nice to get some very cheap items to play around on std, like HoWAs

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
The Inquisitor variety of FBT goes crit, to take advantage of ignoring resistances on a crit, which frees up a link you would otherwise be using on Fire Pen. You also end up with another 34% cast speed if you shield charge around all the time, which is helpful since FBT needs all the cast speed it can get.

It's definitely better damage at higher gear levels than the Chieftain, Heirophant or Elementalist versions, but having played both Chieftain and Inq I think I prefer Chieftain purely because having much tankier totems is such a huge deal. I had a couple of deaths on the inquisitor that were directly attributed to my totems dying super fast to random aoe poo poo or ele reflect in red maps. The leech is also relevant too, since Inq FBT basically relied on you moving out of the way of stuff and regenerating ES, no leech.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 18, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

It's definitely better damage at higher gear levels than the Chieftain, Heirophant or Elementalist versions, but having played both Chieftain and Inq I think I prefer Chieftain purely because having much tankier totems is such a huge deal. I had a couple of deaths on the inquisitor that were directly attributed to my totems dying super fast to random aoe poo poo or ele reflect in red maps. The leech is also relevant too, since Inq FBT basically relied on you moving out of the way of stuff and regenerating ES, no leech.

The leech is great, but yeah, the totems being far tankier for Chieftan is A Big Deal when it comes to some maps/bosses, which is why I prefer it. The Inquisitor version looks pretty solid too, though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They're also fire immune aren't they? That's really nice against firestorm spammers and atz

panda clue
May 23, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

They're also fire immune aren't they? That's really nice against firestorm spammers and atz

The Chieftan ones are, yeah. This is mostly useful for letting you literally completely ignore reflect, which owns. You can also put them on the fire pits in lab!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lower cast speed though, but you can get that on jewels too.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Cinara posted:

I tried that very pizza blaster inquisitor build and I quit when I was getting 1-shot by dropbears in T3 maps. I was doing the life version, and it was my first time going a hybrid build.

How do you gear as a hybrid to be not so incredibly squishy? Do you prioritize a high life roll or high ES? I'd just ended up being stunned, etc. all the time. (FlameblastVerTotemsson if you want specifics -- gear has a lot of room for improvement, but I'd expect that a 'league starter' build shouldn't be getting 1-shot in T3s.)

I ended up switching to grandpa totems, which was much smoother sailing all the way through.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

jerichojx posted:

I'm mainly using this part of the league to experiment with various starter builds, to see what play styles work best for me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

facepalmolive posted:

I tried that very pizza blaster inquisitor build and I quit when I was getting 1-shot by dropbears in T3 maps. I was doing the life version, and it was my first time going a hybrid build.

How do you gear as a hybrid to be not so incredibly squishy? Do you prioritize a high life roll or high ES? I'd just ended up being stunned, etc. all the time. (FlameblastVerTotemsson if you want specifics -- gear has a lot of room for improvement, but I'd expect that a 'league starter' build shouldn't be getting 1-shot in T3s.)

I ended up switching to grandpa totems, which was much smoother sailing all the way through.
Don't play hybrid as a league starter. It's neither cheap, nor straightforward/easy to make a proper one. That FBT build should be able to get to red maps with little to no investment.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

jerichojx posted:

If you really think about it, there's no point to playing any league. They're all just temporary diversions designed to distract from the existential terror of existence that ultimately we all must face anyway.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

regulargonzalez posted:

If you really think about it, there's no point to playing any league. They're all just temporary diversions designed to distract from the existential terror of existence that ultimately we all must face anyway.

This too shall pass

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don't play hybrid as a league starter. It's neither cheap, nor straightforward/easy to make a proper one. That FBT build should be able to get to red maps with little to no investment.

The CI version of his build, then?

He claimed his 'life' version was the cheap one, so I went with that to start. In his Mud Geyser build demo, he was running with 4k health/1.2k ES with no additional defense layering (unless you count Whirling Blades/Fortify -- but that doesn't seem consistent as you'd ideally want to stay far away from mobs), which seems... suspect. He got chunked fairly hard a couple times in that run from normal mobs as well.

I don't know, maybe I just play more poorly/dangerously than the build allows. I don't know what I could've done against dropbears, other than not to run those mods. But on the other hand, T3.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

facepalmolive posted:

The CI version of his build, then?

He claimed his 'life' version was the cheap one, so I went with that to start. In his Mud Geyser build demo, he was running with 4k health/1.2k ES with no additional defense layering (unless you count Whirling Blades/Fortify -- but that doesn't seem consistent as you'd ideally want to stay far away from mobs), which seems... suspect. He got chunked fairly hard a couple times in that run from normal mobs as well.

I don't know, maybe I just play more poorly/dangerously than the build allows. I don't know what I could've done against dropbears, other than not to run those mods. But on the other hand, T3.

Well, the joke rear end "hybrid" tree in that guide would be fine for softcore life character, I think - just ignore energy shield as such, and get items with as much life and armor as possible. Can't say I'm really fond of WB-Fortify and the suggested power charge generation, but oh well.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I'm gonna take Jebquake for one last ride in Legacy League since that was the build that really got me back into the game. Legacy Kaom's is gonna be so sweet.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah gently caress daggers for that Inq FBT build, it's not worth it. That build recommends dual wielding daggers for the cast speed and damage, which is dumb when misery crafted daggers are going to be multiple ex and a similarly rolled scepter will run you maybe 10c.

I had around 9k ES with pretty bad gear using scepter/shield and shield charge to move around, and I felt tanky enough to survive any map that couldn't kill my totems before they could cast.

There's also a variant floating around that stacks tons of health regen with ZO and uses a Beast Fur Shawl to get like 3500 es regen/sec on an ~11k pool, which looks interesting.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 18, 2017

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
All right, thanks. I wasn't a fan of the daggers to begin with, and that was a lot of bending over backwards just to get WB to work. I may give that a shot next league.

Or I'll just run the poison train into the ground before they rebalance everything for 3.0.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

soscannonballs posted:

I'm gonna take Jebquake for one last ride in Legacy League since that was the build that really got me back into the game. Legacy Kaom's is gonna be so sweet.

also maybe legacy voidheart

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I actually might just throw a Poison gem as my 6L so I can use 2x Kaom's Way, since I will already be getting bleed from Disfavour. Unless there is some sick legacy 2h I don't know about?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I wouldn't count on getting high end legacy items. If they are as rare as the announcement says they will be exceedingly expensive.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A little hands on demo of FoO and the XBONE version:

https://youtu.be/xNNGZLYKRxc

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
44% increase in player-hours between '15 and '16. Dang.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's not that big. Everyone knows that "more" player hours is better than "increased."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whydirt posted:

It's not that big. Everyone knows that "more" player hours is better than "increased."
44% more player hours amounts to the exact same difference as 44% increased player hours.

• Locked thread