Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JosephWongKS posted:

For those of you who are still interested, the curtain has closed on the Thermidor saga.

1%? Ouch

Lurdiak posted:

Oh my God, Tex, this is so embarrassing for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_gEtc4rAqU&t=3635s
"He did it again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

it'll play discs, but won't patch them. and your console won't allow any streaming stuff either.

Ah, sucks. A friend has a banned 360 that he's selling for cheap but if I can't use it as a netflix box also, nevermind.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

could still be useful, such that you could throw it over your shoulder and probably hit a myriad of scattered netflix enabled devices lying around

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just buy a roku or smthng

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure the matrix was made because the wachowski's saw ghost in the shell and were like "we wanna make a movie like this"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the lobby shootout was deliberately styled like the end of the first GitS movie with bullets ripping through concrete pillars, though in a much more OTT way in The Matrix.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the lobby shootout was deliberately styled like the end of the first GitS movie with bullets ripping through concrete pillars, though in a much more OTT way in The Matrix.

Do you really not have the time to say "over the top"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Xcom 2 is a cool game

I wasn't big on Enemy Unknown, but they really killed it with 2.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I dunno, I watched GitS a few times before seeing the Matrix and felt they were very distinct. The stories were not that similar and the main point of comparison is that are cyberpunk with guns.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do you really not have the time to say "over the top"

No, no, he means The Matrix was a lot more more like Open Transport Tycoon than Ghost in the Shell was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, sucks. A friend has a banned 360 that he's selling for cheap but if I can't use it as a netflix box also, nevermind.

360 is the de facto console for japanese shmups made from 2006 to 2014. If that;s your thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Man I really wish that Scott Pilgrim game wasn't awful, the pixel art is so charming.

"Awful" is pretty harsh, I enjoyed it enough at the time. Definitely could have been better.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I dunno, I watched GitS a few times before seeing the Matrix and felt they were very distinct. The stories were not that similar and the main point of comparison is that are cyberpunk with guns.

quote:

Ghost in the Shell (film)
Japanese director Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell strongly influenced the Matrix. Producer Joel Silver has stated that the Wachowski brothers first described their intentions for The Matrix by showing him that anime and saying, "We wanna do that for real". Mitsuhisa Ishikawa of Production I.G, which produced Ghost in the Shell, noted that the anime's high-quality visuals were a strong source of inspiration for the Wachowski brothers. He also commented, "... cyberpunk films are very difficult to describe to a third person. I'd imagine that The Matrix is the kind of film that was very difficult to draw up a written proposal for to take to film studios." He stated that since Ghost in the Shell had gained recognition in America, the Wachowski brothers used it as a "promotional tool".

It was a heavy inspiration on the style and aesthetic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm playing Peggle for the first time ever

why is this so fun, help

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where does Enter the Matrix on PS2 fall into all this

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I played Stardew valley until 6 am please send help.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I played Stardew valley until 6 am please send help.

19 hours in the last two days here. And the night is just beginning.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Where does Enter the Matrix on PS2 fall into all this

I remember actually enjoying that game quite a bit, aside from the janky bullshit driving sequence.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The hacking minigame was really cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Path of Neo was better

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I preordered The Matrix Online

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Speaking of the Matrix games we need a Ghost in the shell game thats good and no Oni doesn't count.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Max Payne did bullet time first

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Max Payne did bullet time first

That's why he always looked so upset

he was thinking about copyright infringement

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

It was a heavy inspiration on the style and aesthetic.

Fair enough, but it also drew inspiration from martial arts films and other sci if sources. The rhythm of the movies also felt very different. GitS had long quiet relatively slow sequences punctuated by intense action (that even followed this rhythm) while the Matrix was characterized by constant visual kinetic and the whole bullet time thing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

Speaking of the Matrix games we need a Ghost in the shell game thats good and no Oni doesn't count.

The ps2 game was pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

reminds me of classic awesome arcade game Xenophobe

goddamn that one was a quarter muncher, but so fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

raditts posted:

It wasn't BAD, it was just kind of repetitive and forgettable, and gives you little rain to want to come back to it once you've finished the game. And also weirdly more of a Castle Crashers knockoff than RCR, despite the source material.

Actually, my friend and I wanted more out of the game than what we got. I realize there can only be so many stages and bosses due to the source material, but it felt really short. We were having a great time, though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

precision posted:

I'm playing Peggle for the first time ever

why is this so fun, help

When I think of Peggle I just think of Peggle ... TWO *jumps in the air and lands in a split to zero applause*

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

precision posted:

reminds me of classic awesome arcade game Xenophobe

goddamn that one was a quarter muncher, but so fun

Yeah, that was great fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The ps2 game was pretty good

The PS1 game was pretty good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Phantasium posted:

The PS0 game was pretty good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Fair enough, but it also drew inspiration from martial arts films and other sci if sources. The rhythm of the movies also felt very different. GitS had long quiet relatively slow sequences punctuated by intense action (that even followed this rhythm) while the Matrix was characterized by constant visual kinetic and the whole bullet time thing.

I'm just saying that the wachowski's are anime fanboys and wanted to make their own ghost in the shell type thing.

Their best film is speed racer imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think this was some sort of joke? Or maybe a game developer that is working on an actual game and was using this as some sort of weird viral marketing stunt. The Kickstarter never talked about the game itself.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

The PS0 game was pretty good.

The PS65536 game was pretty good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm just saying that the wachowski's are anime fanboys and wanted to make their own ghost in the shell type thing.

Their best film is speed racer imo

I never got around to seeing it. Maybe one of these days.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I remember getting real excited to play it at a friend's house after watching the movie, then I got pissed when I found out you couldn't leave the tank

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I never got around to seeing it. Maybe one of these days.

I've heard it is one of the best reasons to own a bluray player. I can't speak for that tho. All I can say is that it is simultaneously a very good and faithful adaptation that is true to its source material while also doing some pretty great stuff with its source material to change it up in interesting ways. It is a very sincere movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie but I can't remember anything about it other than some of the ending. I know Kite knows what movie I'm talking about because I asked him once before and he knew what movie but he doesn't remember now and he suggested I ask in here.

All I remember is that the movie ended with a family driving away in separate cars, all 5 of them, and I think it might have been an action movie or comedy movie, pretty sure not a horror movie. I think they won the cars or something, and they maybe went through a red tunnel earlier in the movie but I don't know when.

Any ideas?

• Locked thread