Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Normally I'd say you wouldn't want that kind of idiot fixing it but they don't sound particularly stupid. I'd be a little concerned about corners getting cut since they're not making any money on the job. Don't know why they didn't take him up on the offer to buy it at list price unless their contact price was much higher or they couldn't break it with their other buyer, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I was actually looking into doing something similar, until I did actual research on bunker construction and underground housing, and learned how much of a tremendous pain in the rear end everything is. The redit guy commenting covered most of the high points. It's easier/cheaper to dig a bigass Olympic pool sized hole in the ground, build a 4 car garage out of those insulated concrete forms, then bury it than it would be to waterproof and strengthen a container to do something similar. Plus you can trivially waterproof the forms by gluing them together then tarring and tyvecing the outside.

At a minimum you need:
  • True positive pressure ventilation, it must be battery backed up and have an audible warning in case the fan tachometer fails or power fails.
  • Air mixing, via a fan, A/C filtration system, something to get the air column to stay mixed and able to be vented.
  • Explosive gases, inert gases, CO, CO2, and oxygen level monitoring, with a regular calibration and testing. You can rig something up inside the air return plenum if you have an aircon style system, provided you can guarantee adequate mixing. Calibration on the sensors and alarm tests should be monthly or quarterly, depending on sensor type.
  • Multiple ingress/egress. You need at least two ways in and out of an occupied structure, preferably ones that won't be blocked by the same tree falling on your hatch.
  • Hatches that open outward need to be robust enough to open even with a tree or big rock on them, and able to be opened via hand pumped hydraulics or a screw type jack system. Any locking system you have in place on the outside, like a padlock hasp must fail when the hatch is opened from the inside.
  • Fire suppression system, dry foam, water, something to put a fire out in a big loving hurry, because the O2 level will go from 'humans are cool here' to 'dead men tell no tales' in like a minute flat.
  • Easy to access SCBA systems in case the sensors go off. gently caress all you can do in some cases, but at least you'll be conscious and able to act in the event the CO sensor goes off and keeps rising because some dipshit parked an idling tractor near an intake. Also training to put it on when tired as poo poo or just woken up, or possibly drunk as hell. That muscle memory could save your life.
  • Loud as gently caress wake the dead alarms in place for fire/atmo issues, unless you've passed out due to a heroin OD, it should wake your rear end up.
After all that's said and done, and you still want your batcave apocalyptic nerd-bunker, go for it. Good luck getting an occupancy permit for it though, most municipalities will flat out deny you one. You might be able to argue with them and get a variance, especially if you follow the guidelines in the FEMA bunker pdf.

Or you can just use a box truck...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pretty much. If your time is free, materials are scavenged, and maintenance nightmares until entropy converts it all back to iron oxide don't bother you, they can be a great 'deal'. As a lovely throw-away shed thing to store crap in, they work great, because that's what they were designed to do.

The answer to the housing crisis is well made apartment buildings with proper noise and vibration damping, with adequate underground parking for each tenant to have 2 vehicles plus a small storage space. Downside is asking for well made buildings during a housing crisis might as well be asking for blowjobs from a unicorn for how likely they are to actually occur.

2 parking spots per tenant seems insane. A huge part of the "housing crisis" is car-centric urban planning forcing the cost of construction up by requiring massive amounts of parking. A typical underground parking spot costs 30-60k, that's a huge savings to eliminate. In a lot of cities they're realizing strict parking minimums are working against both affordability and good urban planing and reducing or outright eliminating them, and there's a general consensus in urban planning today that parking minimums are a bad idea that have caused a lot of problems. Obviously that only works in places where you can live without a car, or just one car between a family. But it's actually a lot cheaper and more efficient to provide good transit and services within walking/bike distance than to force everyone to build massive parking structures and then massive highways to connect with shopping and workplaces with equally massive parking. It's the most land and resource intensive way to get around imaginable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

It's the most land and resource intensive way to get around imaginable.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

I was actually looking into doing something similar, until I did actual research on bunker construction and underground housing, and learned how much of a tremendous pain in the rear end everything is. The redit guy commenting covered most of the high points. It's easier/cheaper to dig a bigass Olympic pool sized hole in the ground, build a 4 car garage out of those insulated concrete forms, then bury it than it would be to waterproof and strengthen a container to do something similar. Plus you can trivially waterproof the forms by gluing them together then tarring and tyvecing the outside.

At a minimum you need:
:words:
Wow, that's a lot. Now why is very little of that needed with a basement? Is a basement inherently safer, or is this a case of requiring top-notch A+ safety measures when most cases of meeting code only need a B-?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dylan16807 posted:

Wow, that's a lot. Now why is very little of that needed with a basement? Is a basement inherently safer, or is this a case of requiring top-notch A+ safety measures when most cases of meeting code only need a B-?

A basement has a whole house over top of it for venting, it's not totally sealed under dirt. It's also made out of something reasonable like concrete that's been poured in place and sealed/insulated rather than the cheapest steel possible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

2 parking spots per tenant seems insane. A huge part of the "housing crisis" is car-centric urban planning forcing the cost of construction up by requiring massive amounts of parking. A typical underground parking spot costs 30-60k, that's a huge savings to eliminate. In a lot of cities they're realizing strict parking minimums are working against both affordability and good urban planing and reducing or outright eliminating them, and there's a general consensus in urban planning today that parking minimums are a bad idea that have caused a lot of problems. Obviously that only works in places where you can live without a car, or just one car between a family. But it's actually a lot cheaper and more efficient to provide good transit and services within walking/bike distance than to force everyone to build massive parking structures and then massive highways to connect with shopping and workplaces with equally massive parking. It's the most land and resource intensive way to get around imaginable.

I was going to write almost exactly this earlier today, but awful app ate my post.

No offense to MeCHO or the yanks, but the :fsmug: attitude that everyone needs two cars + transit is for poors is a big factor in what's making this planet unliveable. I understand the distance issues in Canada and the states, but if you're living in a population centre that has density problems you should be putting resources towards mass transit and accessibility, not filling perfectly liveable space with loving freeways that are traffic jammed 24/7.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dillbag posted:

I understand the distance issues in Canada and the states, but if you're living in a population centre that has density problems you should be putting resources towards mass transit and accessibility, not filling perfectly liveable space with loving freeways that are traffic jammed 24/7.

:qq: BUT MY TAXES :qq:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is literally a strap the pt to a spineboard and man handle them through the ladder hole with engine + ambulance crew you've got 6 people to do this. So if you live in the middle of nowhere I guess that could be an hour but anywhere civilized that's a 5-15 min response time. Guy says he's a firefighter at the end of the post so I would be slightly intrigued as to what he thinks is so complicated about this particular rescue he describes. Source: EMT with almost 7 years full-time and associated PT since then + rescue squad stuff.

As a fellow EMT, I have to say that if you told me to climb down there I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. Scene safety is the first priority and I'm not going down into that death trap for somebody that's, in all probability, already dead. That's a job for confined space rescue.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

A basement has a whole house over top of it for venting, it's not totally sealed under dirt. It's also made out of something reasonable like concrete that's been poured in place and sealed/insulated rather than the cheapest steel possible.

Basements usually have windows as well. And they are ventilated by the same forced air heat/AC system as the rest of the house. And you generally don't coat the walls and ceiling in combustible plastic crap like fake grass and fake fur.

A finished basement that meets code for residency has some fairly strict regulations. Things are looser for an unfinished basement that is just used for storage, laundry, and a place to keep your furnace and water heater, but people aren't expected to spend much time down there.

Basically if your mom lets you live in her unfinished basement she never loved you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khizan posted:

As a fellow EMT, I have to say that if you told me to climb down there I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. Scene safety is the first priority and I'm not going down into that death trap for somebody that's, in all probability, already dead. That's a job for confined space rescue.

FF/EMT-P high five brotha. Rule 1: we don't trade lives.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm pretty sure it's been posted in the thread before but yeah, you don't gently caress around with regular rescue attempts in enclosed spaces.

http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

Edit: it was probably in the Osha thread

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been posted in the thread before but yeah, you don't gently caress around with regular rescue attempts in enclosed spaces.

http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

Edit: it was probably in the Osha thread

As a dude who works on a ship (ferry captain), this is one of those ways to go that I would've never thought of before. I don't think the ballast holds are airtight-enclosed - they have those J-shaped breather tubes coming up to the deck - but on the other hand, it's not like they're inspected daily like the engine holds are, either.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Just saw this in the BWM thread: http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1252827847.htm

What an awful house.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Remember too that rust actively alters the air in a space to dangerous. I was a Merchant Marine officer and enclosed space entry was legit no joke. Every year one guy drops from bad air in a ballast tank, and one to two of his friends try to rescue him and die as well. We would use forced ventilation for a day or so, then sniff the tank for adequate O2, then enter with more sensors while wearing SCBAs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nice location for a murder garden party. I think Nate robbed that house in Uncharted.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

peanut posted:

Nice location for a murder garden party. I think Nate robbed that house in Uncharted.

poo poo's built like a Hitman level.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

All that loving ostentatious stuff and they still have a CRT in the bedroom? :psypop:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It looks like a Pier 1 exploded.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Baronjutter posted:

The problem is in a lot of areas you don't have the services needed to be able to get around the city like you would in Manhattan or Chicago, and as a result you need to have parking spaces provided. You could probably get away with one per tenant, but it becomes an issue if you're selling 2 bedroom condos and only provide space for one car. And good luck getting good transit services when outside of like 4 major American cities, public transit is considered for poors only.

Dylan16807 posted:

Lots of easy/free venting via the hugeass house above you, mandatory 2 escapes from the place due to fire code from the mid 70s, and the fact that even if they're below ground, the air mixing that takes place is able to offset any issues.

When you get into cases where your structure is 3+ meters below ground, you start running into issues where passive convection might not be enough to cycle the air properly, heavy gasses can settle without the ability to remove them, and tons of other things that a basement in a house wouldn't need to deal with. Especially if this is a bunker or structure designed to deal with NBC or civil unrest events, where you need to be able to lock it tight, and provide filtered air and water for a period of time.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 20, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

:barf:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

have fun never cleaning your sink again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahaha at least the third most common reaction is a crying face.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I've stayed at this beach condo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hot glue on smooth porcelain will last about a week, at least.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Javid posted:

Hot glue on smooth porcelain will last about a week, at least most.

There you go, friend.

What is people's obsession with seashells?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

NancyPants posted:

You can get three bags full for a dollar?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least the various bacteria and mold in her bathroom will be happy she built them a grand motel.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NancyPants posted:

There you go, friend.

She sells them at the seashore

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

She sells them at the seashore

if she grabs a hot glue gun stop her. I dont want my bathroom pinterest-ized

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hitting the faucet and taps is a particular turn of madness.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That sink has crabs now.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

You can't even set the soap in the soap tray anymore!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

crazypeltast52 posted:

You can't even set the soap in the soap tray anymore!

People who glue sea shells to their sinks use liquid hand soap anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But do they rinse the soap off???

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NancyPants posted:

There you go, friend.

Check out this guy who doesn't know how to use the seashells in the bathroom properly.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

People who glue sea shells to their sinks use liquid hand soap anyway.

You would think, but the before picture has a bar just sitting there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

crazypeltast52 posted:

You would think, but the before picture has a bar just sitting there?

It’s been there since the Reagan administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
When I was a kid my grandma had soap molded in the form of seashells, I even remember realistic colors printed on them. Her sinks looked sort of like that, but less tacky and more functional.