Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

I just saw The Great Wall, AMA

I did too. It reminds me of Kung Fu Cult Master more than anything else. It was really stupid and occasionally fun and the creature designs are very cool. I was not expecting to see Willam Dafoe in it or Andy Lau. It was worth the matinee price for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I don't get all these people that hate Stallone's Dredd. Sure it's not great but it's silly fun, at least as good as Timecop or something. Not quite as good as Demolition Man though, despite sharing like 5 plot points.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Demolition Man is gold.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

I don't get all these people that hate Stallone's Dredd. Sure it's not great but it's silly fun, at least as good as Timecop or something. Not quite as good as Demolition Man though, despite sharing like 5 plot points.

For one, it's complete garbage

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the Stallone one is pretty well forgotten by this point, along with just about everything else Stallone did in the 90s.

Everyone who mentions Stallone's Dredd is talking about Demolition Man by mistake.

Also Cliffhanger rules you heathen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Cliffhanger's all right. Its cinematography and great supporting cast make it stick out. I also think that great behind the scenes Stallone anecdote comes from Cliffhanger, right?

Demolition Man is obviously the truth.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

I honestly don't think The Raid crew had any clue about the most recent Dredd movie when they were making it, we just frequently get similar movies in the same year.

Edit: Dred is basically an inside out version of Assault on District 13 and The Raid is basically someone watching Ong Bak and asking what if we did this for 2 hours. Both concepts are similar in retrospect but operate on different levels.

That's from Tom Yum Goong, philistine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are you telling me that Americans do not instantly recognize this dude:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A Felix the cat supporting character?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, we've all seen Chester Cheetah.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

I recognize him as a mascot for the Disney afternoon cartoon block in the early nineties.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

yeah it's marsupilami but i had no idea it was a comic book first until just now.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

For one, it's complete garbage

Completely wrong. Armond Assante is awesome, the costumes and FX are great, the whole badlands section has great makeup work, the war robot is excellent, the score is good and Diane Lane is gorgeous. It's not a good movie and could have been better but it has its qualities. Someone should edit out Rob Schneider to see if it makes a difference.

Stallone is even decent as Dredd but they played it too safe with his characterization. I get why he took off his helmet and don't think that matters but he wasn't quite enough of a fascist rear end in a top hat.

It also has Jurgen Prochnow and Max Von Sydow. How dare you call it GARBAGE

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Even Colossal, that movie with the remote control monster or whatever, the trailer may as show a neon sign that says "thank God they wrote it to land in Korea so we can safely laugh at these silly non-American rescue workers and civilians get blown up." :wtc:

Alternatively, an American's seemingly innocuous actions having devastating consequences in a foreign country could be a pretty powerful global warming metaphor. I mean, probably not, but maybe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

StuG Jeebus posted:

Alternatively, an American's seemingly innocuous actions having devastating consequences in a foreign country could be a pretty powerful global warming metaphor. I mean, probably not, but maybe.

The movie's been described as "very smart" and a lot of other things that might mean that's the case, I'll check it out when it's on Netflix or whatever but the trailers make it look like there's nothing going beyond what's in them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ammanas posted:

Completely wrong. Armond Assante is awesome, the costumes and FX are great, the whole badlands section has great makeup work, the war robot is excellent, the score is good and Diane Lane is gorgeous. It's not a good movie and could have been better but it has its qualities. Someone should edit out Rob Schneider to see if it makes a difference.

Stallone is even decent as Dredd but they played it too safe with his characterization. I get why he took off his helmet and don't think that matters but he wasn't quite enough of a fascist rear end in a top hat.

It also has Jurgen Prochnow and Max Von Sydow. How dare you call it GARBAGE

I called it garbage because good sets can't save a terrible script or the existence of Rob Schneider

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FreudianSlippers posted:

I know that guy and his hooba hop...Hell, I recognize Zorglub too.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd more readily associate Marsupilami with Bonkers than with Spirou if I hadn't heard about Spirou awhile back. I think those two shows existed around the same time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I called it garbage because good sets can't save a terrible script or the existence of Rob Schneider

Yeah, the screenwriters seemed to have only passing familiarity with Judge Dredd and didn't get a lot of the social commentary. I believe Pat Mills talks about this when they were trying to develop Marshall Law into a movie, which he would have had more input on if Judge Dredd had been successful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FreudianSlippers posted:

Had I not been in a French immersion program in elementary school, I would have no idea what the gently caress this was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I know that guy and his hooba hop...Hell, I recognize Zorglub too.

Eviv Bulgroz!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever seen.

As if. Timecop has that cool bit where he kicks a frozen arm and it explodes.

It also has one of the most needlessly long and graphic sex scenes with more loving close ups of JCVD's buttocks in a career that is filled with needlessly long and graphic sex scenes full of loving close ups of JCVD's buttocks.

I guess it's kind of a mixed bag.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Does he do the split while having sex, because that would certainly warrant an elaborate buttocks shot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Does he do the split while having sex, because that would certainly warrant an elaborate buttocks shot.

He does do the splits, but it is not during sex. He does it to make a bad guy electrocute himself

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Bad Guy: "loving enough already with the splits, you do that in every movie!"

*electrocutes self*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rirse posted:

Is that really bad cgi lizard still in it?

That's the entire movie. CGI is wildly inconsistent rather than just bad. Some stuff looks great, some looks like PS3 graphics. Very distracting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Bad Guy: "loving enough already with the splits, you do that in every movie!"

*electrocutes self*

That's not how it went down, but I'd watch a movie where JCVD hypnotised opponents into self destruction with his splits.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Judge Dredd came out the same year as Waterworld and Batman Forever, you gotta give it a little credit. it also came out the same year as Die Hard With a Vengeance and Se7en

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The really annoying thing about Timecop is the past gets changed and JCVD has a hard time convincing the boss and his tech guy that it has happened. Even though their entire job is trying to stop people from changing the past.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neo Rasa posted:

Even Colossal, that movie with the remote control monster or whatever, the trailer may as show a neon sign that says "thank God they wrote it to land in Korea so we can safely laugh at these silly non-American rescue workers and civilians get blown up." :wtc:

The Raid and Dredd are two of the best action movies in the past like ten years. And while I can understand it being a little annoying that people would dare look at Dredd and say "this is like the Raid" instead of other way around there's literally no way in hell The Raid impacted how Dredd did at the box office or that people looked at the Dredd DVD on Amazon and were like "Psshh this is just a shameless ripoff of The Raid, PASS."

Dredd flopped because it had one of the worst trailers ever made considering the content and style of the movie and because instead of doing anything that could build up interest to market it they just dumped a billion posters all over NYC of Dredd standing on top of building or whatever. Like they literally made a poster that would be perfectly camouflaged and invisible on any wall you'd see in an urban area. Also if any Euro-Goons can comment, didn't it intentionally only get released in like the most expensive possible 3D theaters in Europe instead of a wider release that included 2D ones?

Colossal isn't a farce like that. It's really good, see it when it comes out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Colossal the one that people were saying was a Godzilla ripoff or used Godzilla in some meeting as a reference and because of that was going to be hot garbage?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This trailer though, like, I'll wait for Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hpm_BcHKE

muscles like this! posted:

The really annoying thing about Timecop is the past gets changed and JCVD has a hard time convincing the boss and his tech guy that it has happened. Even though their entire job is trying to stop people from changing the past.

Timecop is still good because it gave David "1 million shower scenes and scenes of people pissing" Cage his first game industry gig by composing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0Qe6tN9jg

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Time Cop, I love how the cash in SNES game is actually a sequel that has you being sent to different times as a challenge by this guy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, Vice is expanding their media empire to distributing movies. The Bad Batch, previously mentioned in this thread, got picked up and a trailer dropped a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqfP1S-9ok

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Vice is expanding their media empire to distributing movies. The Bad Batch, previously mentioned in this thread, got picked up and a trailer dropped a few days ago.

For some reason this reminds me a lot of LISA and that is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Len posted:

Is Colossal the one that people were saying was a Godzilla ripoff or used Godzilla in some meeting as a reference and because of that was going to be hot garbage?

It used Godzilla in their pitch to investors at one of the film trade shows, Toho is very protective of their IP and there is probably a post of me being annoyed they did something so dumb two years back. Colossal looks awesome though and I'll be there opening weekend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Guy Mann posted:

For some reason this reminds me a lot of LISA and that is a good thing.

That was my first reaction to the teaser as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOs55p0TI7k

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Huh. Ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqmbe7EjcWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Young Freud posted:

And for some reason the second cannibal movie in short time that Keanu Reeves have starred in.

• Locked thread