Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeh, however I thought that 2.6.1 was already out for a while and everyone was playing it. But suddenly an e-mail announcement appeared...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I'd speculate that's to boost the sales numbers since they have a big valentines sale going on right now but barely made a quarter million dollars, which apparently doesn't fuel the solid gold motion capture monster very long.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I'm going to try and give what appears to be a genuine question a genuine answer.

The whole Star Citizen thing has sort of evolved into "inter-forums war" in the eyes of some of the people who are genuinely invested in either the support of or the downfall of the game. Generally that's weighted a little heavier on the side of the people supporting the game - and trying to bring down the SomethingAwful menace, as they put it - but I will admit that some of our users here are still overzealous in their mockery, something I work very hard to try and curb when I see it. In any case, the parties involved in this are made up of a lot of reddit and 4chan users, many of whom view doxxing as the ultimate form of internet warfare, for whatever insane reason. The user whose probation/ban brought you back here this afternoon had shared a screenshot of some 4channers attempting to doxx Derek Smart in order to (somehow) prove that Derek=bad means Star Citizen=good. I believe that poster's intent was less to share the information and more to prove that 4channers are idiots, but nevertheless it directly violates the rules and I am not willing to offer leeway based on "intent" when it comes to this.

Since becoming a mod here that's actually only the second time I've had to deal with doxxing in the thread. I agree that's two times too many, and I'm aware of issues from before my time as a mod obviously. The first was a user posting the personal details of someone who I will say is "allegedly" a lying, scamming pick up artist who sexually abuses women - something which everyone here should be very clear does not make doxxing that person okay. These examples aren't meant to convince you that "our" doxxing is somehow okay or acceptable, but to highlight that we're not just doxxing people 24/7 in this thread and the mod-team is more than willing to punish those who do it. In any case I think the answer to your question is that for many of the posters on both sides of this thing, the argument has become very personal. It's something - again - that we are trying to curb on our end of things, but as someone who has received death threats and credible threats of doxxing from redditors who are mad at me for getting a refund on a video game, there is some small part of me that understands when one of our posters decides to retaliate. Again, that doesn't make it okay and I will happily be "overbearing" or "heavy handed" when it comes to doxxing concerns, due to the nature and history of the subforum. In short, I guess the answer is that some people are taking this whole thing far too seriously.

^this

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beet Wagon posted:

reddit and 4chan users, many of whom view doxxing as the ultimate form of internet warfare, for whatever insane reason
they do that which they fear will be done to them

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Regrettable posted:

Hmm, yes, that account that just started posting here 3 days ago and has made 7 total posts in this thread sure is indicative of the people who post here and not at all a parachute.

:sad:

I wonder how long before the rest of the gang shows up for round 3.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArfJason posted:

I'll say that it's a shame that a question that is genuine is met with cautious skepticism and seen as facetious. As for the actual point, I think the problem here is that spending a whole hell of a lot of time reading posts on reddit, star citizen forums and poo poo to find contradictions or make fun of idiots who got scammed is the kind of thing that attracts people who take stuff like Star Citizen too seriously. Like that whole procedure is already taking it too seriously. Like I get the appeal of mocking weirdoes, but there's something liket taking it too far. In any case, I'm glad you didn't childishly dismiss this like half the thread did, and actually bothered to explain your thoughts, even if we disagree.

I never thought I'd say it but arfjason has a point. I don't agree with his definition of doxxing and I don't think that it's morally wrong to post a lot of the stuff that gets posted in this thread. But I do think it's bad content. Bad content should be discouraged, and people who endlessly spam bad content should get told to stop. Arf got repeat probations when he spammed the thread about doxxing. The guy that's spammed the thread with 15 pages of bad reddit screencaps should get the same. The guy who admitted to spamming shitizens on reddit should too.

Most days are not going to be maximum comedy days. The guys who touch poop because they're trying to force more comedy out of this clusterfuck are not helping it, and arf is right that it sets a bad tone for the thread. Just today we had CIG stand up PC Gamer at their event, for the second time!!, and here we are discussing a really dumb thing instead. A good and funny thing has been drowned out by a bad and unfunny thing.

Prying into leaks from CIG, employment status of people there, evidence that they're lying about anything, and the history of the people at the top is all good. That's what we're here for, to document CIG's failure (and have lots of laughs while doing it).

And I'm not saying we have to only seriouspost. Cattes, Kayak, food, pgabz weirdness, in-jokes about The Titanic's shapely upper deck, and that kind of stuff are all what megathreads do. It's an chatroom. Hell, we have Derek loving Smart in this thread and he's becoming a good poster which is god drat miraculous if you ask me.

Beet Wagon posted:

The whole Star Citizen thing has sort of evolved into "inter-forums war" in the eyes of some of the people who are genuinely invested in either the support of or the downfall of the game.

Personally I could do with a lot less attention paid to shitizens, unless they do something that really is above and beyond. The ones who write about rape mechanics or stimpires, maybe, but there hasn't been a lot of that recently. Just a dumb forums war.

The others, who are over-invested in the game and think SA is trying to bring it down, are mostly just pitiful. Even the ones posting on the DS reddit. And seeing themselves mocked here isn't helping them. We have people right here who could have ended up in the cult like them, but we dragged them out because the skepticism was coming from people they felt were part of their own community. I'm glad a lot of goons got their money back and it gives me a tiny warm glow that I, in a very small way, helped. By posting.

The people in other communities need their own internal sanity checks to get de-cultified. Unfortunately CIG will disappear critical threads, and reddit has the downvotes = invisibility mechanic. So they won't really get it. Sad, but not something we can really help with.

edit gently caress thats a lot of :words:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

So I thought that the best choice for Ben is a japanese toilet that can clean his rear end after he's done. The problem is that he can't clean it in the shower cause he can't reach it with his t-rex arms and the filth accumulate day after day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I never thought I'd say it but arfjason has a point. I don't agree with his definition of doxxing and I don't think that it's morally wrong to post a lot of the stuff that gets posted in this thread. But I do think it's bad content. Bad content should be discouraged, and people who endlessly spam bad content should get told to stop. Arf got repeat probations when he spammed the thread about doxxing. The guy that's spammed the thread with 15 pages of bad reddit screencaps should get the same. The guy who admitted to spamming shitizens on reddit should too.

Case in point:

Zzr posted:

So I thought that the best choice for Ben is a japanese toilet that can clean his rear end after he's done. The problem is that he can't clean it in the shower cause he can't reach it with his t-rex arms and the filth accumulate day after day.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but I'm going to try and give what appears to be a genuine question a genuine answer.

The whole Star Citizen thing has sort of evolved into "inter-forums war" in the eyes of some of the people who are genuinely invested in either the support of or the downfall of the game. Generally that's weighted a little heavier on the side of the people supporting the game - and trying to bring down the SomethingAwful menace, as they put it - but I will admit that some of our users here are still overzealous in their mockery, something I work very hard to try and curb when I see it. In any case, the parties involved in this are made up of a lot of reddit and 4chan users, many of whom view doxxing as the ultimate form of internet warfare, for whatever insane reason. The user whose probation/ban brought you back here this afternoon had shared a screenshot of some 4channers attempting to doxx Derek Smart in order to (somehow) prove that Derek=bad means Star Citizen=good. I believe that poster's intent was less to share the information and more to prove that 4channers are idiots, but nevertheless it directly violates the rules and I am not willing to offer leeway based on "intent" when it comes to this.

Since becoming a mod here that's actually only the second time I've had to deal with doxxing in the thread. I agree that's two times too many, and I'm aware of issues from before my time as a mod obviously. The first was a user posting the personal details of someone who I will say is "allegedly" a lying, scamming pick up artist who sexually abuses women - something which everyone here should be very clear does not make doxxing that person okay. These examples aren't meant to convince you that "our" doxxing is somehow okay or acceptable, but to highlight that we're not just doxxing people 24/7 in this thread and the mod-team is more than willing to punish those who do it. In any case I think the answer to your question is that for many of the posters on both sides of this thing, the argument has become very personal. It's something - again - that we are trying to curb on our end of things, but as someone who has received death threats and credible threats of doxxing from redditors who are mad at me for getting a refund on a video game, there is some small part of me that understands when one of our posters decides to retaliate. Again, that doesn't make it okay and I will happily be "overbearing" or "heavy handed" when it comes to doxxing concerns, due to the nature and history of the subforum. In short, I guess the answer is that some people are taking this whole thing far too seriously.

To follow up on this, if anyone sees something that they think is doxxing, hit that little report button and leave it at that. Beet obsessively pours over ever one, and maybe one day I might manage to jump in and find one that he hasn't already dealt with. Maybe. But either way we take reports extremely seriously.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Zzr posted:

Can you make even one post that doesn't make me think something is wrong with you?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Klyith posted:

The people in other communities need their own internal sanity checks to get de-cultified. Unfortunately CIG will disappear critical threads, and reddit has the downvotes = invisibility mechanic. So they won't really get it. Sad, but not something we can really help with.

edit gently caress thats a lot of :words:

If you de-cultify SC, you're going to lose the money. At best they're reaching when they pity people who spend 10 dollars on an account plus 5 bucks on an avatar or something here, while they spend hundreds (thousands) on a ship(s) that does not exist.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 19, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

Bad content should be discouraged, and people who endlessly spam bad content should get told to stop. Arf got repeat probations when he spammed the thread about doxxing. The guy that's spammed the thread with 15 pages of bad reddit screencaps should get the same.

Wait, am I missing something here or are you saying that quoting poo poo shittizens say on reddit or the CIG forums is bad content that should be discouraged?

This is an honest question because that's like 80% of what I post in the thread and I don't remember seeing anyone criticize that before. I'm a bit baffled.

e:

quote:

The others, who are over-invested in the game and think SA is trying to bring it down, are mostly just pitiful. Even the ones posting on the DS reddit. And seeing themselves mocked here isn't helping them.
Well, poo poo, if laughing at stupid internet people doesn't help them I guess we better stop then.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 19, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Wait, am I missing something here or are you saying that quoting poo poo shittizens say on reddit or the CIG forums is bad content that should be discouraged?

This is an honest question because that's like 80% of what I post in the thread and I don't remember seeing anyone criticize that before. I'm a bit baffled.

e:

Well, poo poo, if laughing at the crazies doesn't help them I guess we better stop then.

It is child logic : what I like = good content. What I dislike = bad content.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The subreddit quotes make me laugh quite a lot.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

Wordwall

http://i.imgur.com/b9lwbjh.mp4

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MeLKoR posted:

You're not the worst offender by far. I would say this:
is an example of something pointless; not really funny or shocking, just another bit of delusional shitizen empty posting. But to find that example I looked through your '?' past a bunch of normal posts and a couple screenshots that were actually germane to the discussion happening in the thread.

I would encourage you, when you're about to hammer on the screenshot button, to ask yourself "Is this shitizen's post really crazy in an interesting or humorous way? Or is it just the best example I've seen today and I need to post something to keep the thread going?" If it's the latter, don't. The thread will still be here a week from now, the next time you find something good.

I haven't posted about it before because calling out people just for bad posting isn't my thing (and I'm a v boring poster anyways, who am I to call out anyone). But this seemed like a good time because it's related to a bigger issue. The amount of bad content has made me read the thread a lot less, and I think there are others that have just given up on it.

edit:

quote:

Well, poo poo, if laughing at stupid internet people doesn't help them I guess we better stop then.
I'm not trying to make that a reason to mock or not, but there are people with a crusader mentality here that think "we need to show the shitizens they're wrong" and it's not gonna happen

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
CIG's focused fully on defeating the Salty Asshats by halting all attempts at development so there is nothing to laugh at.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Klyith posted:

A good and funny thing has been drowned out by a bad and unfunny thing.

But enough about Arf.

Can we get some more screenshots in the thread, so we can get back on the topic of those daring young middle-aged backers and their funding machines?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chin posted:

CIG's focused fully on defeating the Salty Asshats by halting all attempts at development so there is nothing to laugh at.

loving content locust, the Valentine sales scam was just 4 days ago!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Klyith posted:

I'm not trying to make that a reason to mock or not, but there are people with a crusader mentality here that think "we need to show the shitizens they're wrong" and it's not gonna happen
If people want to touch the brown sea, that's their prerogative. But laughing at dumb shits who invest money and hope in this game is something that will never get old.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

The background reference of the post is easy enough to explain; where he actually went with it… ehm… less so.

The Big Doxxing™ that happened in the history of SC threads — the one that got DSmart de-modded and banned — was when he finally got fed up with and outed a scammer who, among other things, posed as a Norwegian girl to cash in on those horny internet gamer gifts that always follow when people do that. It didn't end well for anyone involved, but since then, there is this oddball connection between Norwegian girls and Derek that you can always make fun of.

I don't remember anymore if the scammer in question actually claimed to be 14 or not, but even if he didn't, there is this other curious connection where a surprising number of high-profile individuals in the SC community have turned out to be outright pedophiles, pedophile wannabes (yes, really), or just utter creeps who'd hit on anything. So that part of the reference works out regardless.

But, you neglected to mention she has no wheelchair.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

lol really? considering you posted the same doxxing info i got banned for on your twitter. c'mon now.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Klyith posted:

I would encourage you, when you're about to hammer on the screenshot button, to ask yourself "Is this shitizen's post really crazy in an interesting or humorous way? Or is it just the best example I've seen today and I need to post something to keep the thread going?" If it's the latter, don't. The thread will still be here a week from now, the next time you find something good.

I think it's important to remember that because this project has gone on for so long, there are a number of topics in play at once. There are the immediate things, like CIG backing out of an interview earlier today; there are overarching things, like the initial promises which have mutated or fallen by the wayside over the years; and then there are the intermediate topics, like CIG's utter failure at their presentations last year, and how backers are rationalizing that in a new year with very little content that matches the promises (which is what I got out of Melkor's screenshot, as well as the many others which are posted here, regularly, by various other goons). They give a good contrast to what was said half a year ago, and how the water in the tub is just fine, no matter how hot it gets.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 19, 2017

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Was it this cool guy?

He's got a cool company with some.......odd reviews online.

I don't remember who/what doxxed him though. Was it the blog post?

i got hit with the ban hammer for it, had to buy a new account even though it was publicly available.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Kosumo posted:

Are you also that Derek Smart who is a 14 year old girl from Norway cos if so .... "Hello Derekette, who is a good little girl then? Come on, give your uncle Kossy a kiss"

Normal.

Beet Wagon posted:

Just so everyone is clear, we have a zero tolerance policy on posts sharing the personal/identifying information of other people, whether or not the context of the post is meant to show 4chan failing at doxxing someone.

lol

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

ArfJason posted:

hey guys i sure am glad noone posts the personal information of anyone on this thread. That is absolutely not a thing that has happened or keeps happening.

*posts in the thread he doesn't like or read immediately to make the same dumb post as always*

Time for another QCS thread.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Like, I don't care to go out of my way to read r/sc but I still think it's interesting to see how opinion there can turn on CIG when they royally gently caress up. It's also funny to watch your Tarkaroshes and Lethalitys trying as hard as they can to defend it and maintain their unwavering belief in the project.

If that's bad, I don't ever want to be good.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

Like, I don't care to go out of my way to read r/sc but I still think it's interesting to see how opinion there can turn on CIG when they royally gently caress up. It's also funny to watch your Tarkaroshes and Lethalitys trying as hard as they can to defend it and maintain their unwavering belief in the project.

If that's bad, I don't ever want to be good.

comparing fallout 4 to sc, lol i am dead.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Please don't stop the Reddit, RSI, and Twitter posts. Not having to visit those places to read the nuggets makes the $10 worth every penny. This thread continues to be the single best source of info for all things Star Citizen.

If you don't like them--ignore the poster. Problem solved.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hmmm, been out all day/night so I've apparently missed some funny stuff happening :(

I can tell it's funny because MoMa, Lazrin, Arf and some random people have all been in here causing a distraction (some randoms get a free pass though as they're prolly just curious) :D

CIG missed their dinner date on purpose with PCG again didn't they? LOL!!! I'm sure they'll be some more stuff tomorrow, in fact I'm 100% positive there will be :)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Sabreseven posted:

Hmmm, been out all day/night so I've apparently missed some funny stuff happening :(

I can tell it's funny because MoMa, Lazrin, Arf and some random people have all been in here causing a distraction (some randoms get a free pass though as they're prolly just curious) :D

CIG missed their dinner date on purpose with PCG again didn't they? LOL!!! I'm sure they'll be some more stuff tomorrow, in fact I'm 100% positive there will be :)

Nah nothing super funny happened, CIG did indeed miss their date but all the posts are cause yet another person got banned, can you guess why?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sabreseven posted:

I think someone mentioned that there were rumors mining was going to be in 3.0, confirming TheAgent's leaks.

The key thing to note is the difference in expectations.

Backers hear mining and immediately think of their mining ships, their mining organizations and all the theorycrafting, dreams and videos Chris Roberts has put out on the subject to imagine amazing features now coming. Opening Wallets.

But the confirmed leaks are that the management has just proclaimed "Mining" will be in the instanced hacked together ground map. So probably something like WoW resource nodes, depending on how they even figure out how to force it in, which they don't even know right now.

Guess what CIG isn't going to tell backers That mining isn't figured out yet and will be nothing like the 4K resolution minecraft they will be imagining when entering their credit card information

Open Development

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for the quick recap chaps :) I'll prolly have to re-read again tomorrow as I'm well over the drink/post limit :D

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Goobs posted:

comparing fallout 4 to sc, lol i am dead.

Fallout 4 has its low moments (and buggy moments) but it A) actually exists and B) is, and can be, fun. These are two things (technically three) that Star Citizen will never be.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Space Crabs posted:

I think someone mentioned that there were rumors mining was going to be in 3.0, confirming TheAgent's leaks.

The key thing to note is the difference in expectations.

Backers hear mining and immediately think of their mining ships, their mining organizations and all the theorycrafting, dreams and videos Chris Roberts has put out on the subject to imagine amazing features now coming. Opening Wallets.

But the confirmed leaks are that the management has just proclaimed "Mining" will be in the instanced hacked together ground map. So probably something like WoW resource nodes, depending on how they even figure out how to force it in, which they don't even know right now.

Guess what CIG isn't going to tell backers That mining isn't figured out yet and will be nothing like the 4K resolution minecraft they will be imagining when entering their credit card information

Open Development

In addition, there are necessary subsystems and support systems that need to be designed and implemented for mining to have any contextual meaning.

- Player inventory
- Ship inventory (cargo)
- A persistent market economy
- Trade mechanics
- Metals and minerals
- Refining
- Crafting

Without any such systems in the game, what would "mining" possibly be? Point your laser at an asteroid and push a button? Where is that stuff gonna go? What is it used for? True Believers think that the mining ship is Step 1, and all the other stuff is layered on afterward, but it's actually quite the opposite.

Unless your entire goal as a company is based on selling ships. In that case this is the perfect way to go about it. CIG's method of generating income is diametrically opposed to the correct way to design a successful game. The irony is annihilating.

It's a shame CIG didn't find a way to monetize design documents or a functioning game engine.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Interesting how the mods in this sub-forum have to repeatedly remind people not to doxx the game developers they're stalking.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, devoting apparently most of 2017 to releasing a patch that will apparently just be a feature checklist to try and make more money from whales?

"Mining" is coming guys! Get Hype!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Space Crabs posted:

Yeah, devoting apparently most of 2017 to releasing a patch that will apparently just be a feature checklist to try and make more money from whales?

"Mining" is coming guys! Get Hype!

"Goons said game wasn't coming out, but here's a mining ship! Checkmate, goonies!"

*pushes button labeled "mining laser" - light beam created between ship and asteroid - nothing else happens*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Interesting how the mods in this sub-forum have to repeatedly remind people not to doxx the game developers they're stalking.

You have two more posts to go to match the other dude's post count before he caught a ban. You can do it!!

But first, catch up on the latest with Star Citizen. Go watch the PC Gamer live stream from CIG today--chocked full of info on all the progress in the last year or so.