Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

You're not in the US, your opinion doesn't count. :colbert:
We've had similar issues folowing the Brexit vote, remember. Different basis, but the same problem, racist fuckwits thinking that their bullshit is now generally acceptable.

You also seem to have not noticed that I effectively agreed with you, I just wasn't handwaving the basis for Kimbo's concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

everdave posted:

In other news thoughts on that 81 911 on BAT? I think that may be my favorite Porsche I have ever seen on the site.

I've gotten into the early 70s 911 aesthetic. The longnose hood and brightwork at the front all seems a bit fussy.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-porsche-911-rs-backdate-hot-rod/
The interior is bar none fantastic, though. I'm a huge sucker for the brass grommets on the bucket seats, which the CAV GT40 also has going for it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

everdave posted:

In other news thoughts on that 81 911 on BAT? I think that may be my favorite Porsche I have ever seen on the site.

It's ok but this is the best one http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-911t-5/

edit: this is only a few spikes short of being a mad max car http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1953-studebaker-commander/

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 19, 2017

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I don't think anyone will doubt your commitment or love of america if you buy an American car, guess you're gonna have to get the GT40.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

It's ok but this is the best one http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-911t-5/

edit: this is only a few spikes short of being a mad max car http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1953-studebaker-commander/

I love the Martini livery but something about that 81 makes me think that is exactly how I would build that, and I hate yellow!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

everdave posted:

I love the Martini livery but something about that 81 makes me think that is exactly how I would build that, and I hate yellow!

It's a beautiful car but I love when they get built up with over the top aero, flares and wheels.

Mildly related note, get your Florida dude to look at this http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/401887-2000-996-convertible-supercharged-low-miles-clean-sexy.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

My friend is taking the whole weekend to decide if he wants that salvage Boxster I won on eBay,

Where was the info on this?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Powershift posted:

might be a a little late, but this goes up on the auction block in 12 hours.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LA0217-287713/1989-lotus-esprit-s3/

I may or may not have been keeping a CL search for Esprits going for the last two years. That car looks a lot like one that has been up for a while and not sold.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

My friend is taking the whole weekend to decide if he wants that salvage Boxster I won on eBay, so I can't proceed with any of my schemes til then.

How is there not an Exocet/818 kit for wrecked Boxsters yet?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

He just offhand mentioned that he bought a boxster off eBay don't think anyone dug and saw it a rebuilt. I for one think there are
Some amazing opportunities with the right rebuilt stuff. I am actively watching for the right Focus RS to wreck just the right way...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Oh, sorry, that might have been the Porsche thread. I saw this 2004 Boxster S with a rebuilt title from getting hit in the right rear fender. I won it at $8300, which I thought was a decent gamble for a car that might drive straight and not have an IMS failure. The seller drives it up to my friend in FL, and my friend got so enamored with how clean it looked that he wants to buy it off me. If he doesn't buy it, that'll be the next car. If he does, I guess I keep looking.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I've gotten into the early 70s 911 aesthetic. The longnose hood and brightwork at the front all seems a bit fussy.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-porsche-911-rs-backdate-hot-rod/
The interior is bar none fantastic, though. I'm a huge sucker for the brass grommets on the bucket seats, which the CAV GT40 also has going for it.

That car is beautiful

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

That car is beautiful

I've had the same space shuttle cockpit desktop wallpaper for like 5 years. I now have this 81 Porsche as my Background.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently, one guy figured out how to reverse the rotation in the Renault transaxle to fit a Lotus V8 into Delorean:
http://camautomag.com/doc-would-be-proud-twin-turbo-lotus-v8-delorean/
Using the +20% last-hour bid formula, this one will close at 27k:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-delorean-dmc-12-3/

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How is there not an Exocet/818 kit for wrecked Boxsters yet?

I'm guessing the combo of so many being automatics and complex German wiring and electronics. The rear sub-frame looks pretty adaptable though. I wonder if one could put a ball joint in the strut carrier to convert to integrated upper A-arm/bell cranks?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, my friend decided against trying to figure out how to buy the Boxster while preparing for his wedding. So that ends this chapter.
Though.... I have been staring at this 7 clone non-stop:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-birkin-s3/
(and bid on it, if you read the comments).
I'm not done bidding on it... if the price is right, I'll figure out how to juggle these cars.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I know nothing about 7's but that does seem like a very tidy example. Currently at $15k which seems like a whole lot of giggles per dollar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Please bid on and win this so I don't. I have no space for it and no reason to have it but I've wanted one of these forever.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Birkins are pretty competent 7 clones too, and a supercharged Duratec in one seems good and properly nutty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If I did a 7 I'd want to put it together myself because I'm a masochistic idiot.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I did a 7 I'd want to put it together myself because I'm a masochistic idiot.

There a differing levels for this. There is the complete everything is new kit like the one they put together in that episode of top gear right through to here is a shell and basic suspension go pull everything else from a 1990s Ford Sierra.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BigPaddy posted:

There a differing levels for this. There is the complete everything is new kit like the one they put together in that episode of top gear right through to here is a shell and basic suspension go pull everything else from a 1990s Ford Sierra.

There's also "here's a book, go buy tubing and a junked car, hope you know how to weld and also hope you take the time to google for the book's errors".

Ask me how I know about *that* one. :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

There's also "here's a book, go buy tubing and a junked car, hope you know how to weld and also hope you take the time to google for the book's errors".

Ask me how I know about *that* one. :D

Locost? Did you do it?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Please bid on and win this so I don't. I have no space for it and no reason to have it but I've wanted one of these forever.

I'm 100% in the same boat. I think I'd have to work fast to dump the Boxster (and the Charger?), even though my friend asked to have dibs on the Boxster when I sold it. Does anyone sell a rollbar-mounted bike rack, cuz that's what I wanted to keep the Charger for -- driving to the MTB trail.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Locost? Did you do it?

RX-7 driveline, Miata suspension parts except for where we're using miscellaneous other stuff we have sitting around like MGB or Van Diemen Formula Continental bits. It's not quite done yet. My dad and I keep getting sidetracked by racing Miatas.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

RX-7 driveline, Miata suspension parts except for where we're using miscellaneous other stuff we have sitting around like MGB or Van Diemen Formula Continental bits. It's not quite done yet. My dad and I keep getting sidetracked by racing Miatas.

Ohhhh, I thought that project was just a rotary into a Miata chassis.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Ohhhh, I thought that project was just a rotary into a Miata chassis.

That's a different project that's just mine for racing, the Locost is a father son thing for backroad bombing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What are the regulations for your area on kit cars and the like?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

What are the regulations for your area on kit cars and the like?

Tough. I don't think much has changed since I worked on the Daytona Coupe project -- you need full emissions compliance for the year in which the kit was built.

Some googling against the Factory Five (based in Massachusetts) forums suggests this is what they'll want:
"On the emissions side I will need an evaporative emissions system, OBD port and new catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and vapor canister."

The emissions inspection and verification for need of a state-assigned VIN needs to be done at a Motorist Assistance Center (which is amusingly shortened to MAC center).
As I'm sure is typical for this sort of thing, I'm sure how hard it is comes down to who's working at that site on that day and how they read the regs.
That FFR poster said the state trooper who did his inspection just wanted receipts associated with the build for those emissions components, but didn't look on the car itself.

As for the VIN, the kit cars I've looked at all have existing state-assigned VINs, which I think would be a huge leg up, if not an automatic pass:
"before a Title can be issued for a specialty vehicle, the vehicle must be assigned a Massachusetts Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) by the State Police unless the vehicle already has a Massachusetts Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or a State Assigned Vehicle Identification Number from another jurisdiction."

Another poster complained that his MAC inspection got called out for lack of wiper and sprayer, which the Birkin doesn't have, but the Westfield does. Bureaucratic stuff of nightmares.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yikes. In Wisconsin, you register it as a "Hobbyist - Replica" of a 1957 Lotus 7, and then have to meet all the safety and emissions requirements of a 1957 car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yikes. In Wisconsin, you register it as a "Hobbyist - Replica" of a 1957 Lotus 7, and then have to meet all the safety and emissions requirements of a 1957 car.

Mass called out everyone who was doing that with replicas, and we arrived at the legislation we have now.
What you can do is have a donor chassis that you have period-correct emissions for. But that would have been a car that once had a VIN (or that you could prove was a pre-VIN production car).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bit poo poo. We're really lucky in the UK, the testing of kit cars is relatively sensible, and still plenty of loopholes (e.g. emissions are based on engine year. Bung a junk 1970s SBC or whatever in it for initial approval, stick an LS in it immediately afterwards, without havign to meet the regs the LS should adhere to).

And that's with the modern, stricter system. 20 years ago, it was the loving wild west, as long as it'd pass an MOT, you're good to go.

Sounds to me like you're better off not going with something that could be hassle in that sense. The previously mentioned "Elise with write-off-causing but bodgeable clamshall damage" seems like the best option if you want somethign of that ilk.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Mass called out everyone who was doing that with replicas, and we arrived at the legislation we have now.
What you can do is have a donor chassis that you have period-correct emissions for. But that would have been a car that once had a VIN (or that you could prove was a pre-VIN production car).

See, the actual law says here says that reproduction bodywork and a new construction frame is explicitly allowed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kimbo305 posted:

Another poster complained that his MAC inspection got called out for lack of wiper and sprayer, which the Birkin doesn't have, but the Westfield does. Bureaucratic stuff of nightmares.

Not sure how TX handles kit cars, but I know our yearly inspection requires wipers on anything with 4+ wheels.

Windshield, however, is not required, and I know of a Ranger that someone rolled, cut the roof/windshield off of, and still drove like that as of a few years ago (the seatbelts are now bolted to the back wall of the cab, as the B pillars were cut at the top of the doors). It has the wipers (he got failed for not having them), and a tiny sliver of plexi for the registration sticker to attach to.

edit: found the pics I snapped of it, and I ran into the owner on another forum several years ago.. still have the PMs about it. 1994, 4 cyl, 5 speed 4x4.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 23, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Sounds to me like you're better off not going with something that could be hassle in that sense. The previously mentioned "Elise with write-off-causing but bodgeable clamshall damage" seems like the best option if you want somethign of that ilk.

Yeah, I'm not excited about the prospect of failing to register the car for road use, but I think a decently motored Seven clone is a good fit for the moderately priced but very unusual end of my car search spectrum.

e: gently caress, the Birkin is no-reserve. I was trying to tell myself, well, maybe the seller wants more than what I'm willing to spend.
Now it's just whether someone else does :smith:/:getin:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 23, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Not sure how TX handles kit cars, but I know our yearly inspection requires wipers on anything with 4+ wheels.

Windshield, however, is not required, and I know of a Ranger that someone rolled, cut the roof/windshield off of, and still drove like that as of a few years ago (the seatbelts are now bolted to the back wall of the cab, as the B pillars were cut at the top of the doors). It has the wipers (he got failed for not having them), and a tiny sliver of plexi for the registration sticker to attach to.

edit: found the pics I snapped of it, and I ran into the owner on another forum several years ago.. still have the PMs about it. 1994, 4 cyl, 5 speed 4x4.

It's scary that poo poo like that is allowed on our roads. But I guess it's him that's going to lose the battle in any wreck he gets in.

I still think it's cool though at the same time. So conflicted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah, once you bolt the seat belts to cab sheet metal, they're just for show.

FWIW, at the time, it spent most of its time offroad - he only drove it on public roads when his main vehicle was broken. I'll have to see if he still it.

e: welp, he hasn't posted on that forum since 2014.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

"Sorry sir, you failed the inspection."
'Hehe, yeah I kinda figured. May I ask why?'
"No wipers."
':geno:'

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if the W shaped hole in the taillight came first and inspired the skull and angular cuts theme.

Some more encouraging info about cars with existing state-issued VINs. This post and 2 down:
http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?5137-Registration-Law-s-in-MA&p=43381#post43381

Emailed the seller about an OBD-II port. Can a modern ECU engine (that's been tuned) not have an OBD-II port?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would assume it's an aftermarket ECU, so would depend entirely on what was used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I guess I just assumed it was through the stock ECU if it's a Duratec 2.0 motor. In the US, I think most of the tuning for those motors is flash-based.

• Locked thread