Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, you can forget divine +1 items...

I'm kinda glad that tones of revenants are wearing divine red demon, because it gives me plenty of divine gear I can disassemble guilt-free.

Edit: ng+ bat lady down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ice bitch dead and sow that was a slog

Idk if having my weapon doing innate water damage was good saw so many 0's. But the base attack is v high so im doing it and did it

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Why is salt broken? I don't get it. It worked fine during all of the demos. It does nothing now. No effect at all.

Edit: Umi-bozu is not that bad. Bring fire. Falling off is the biggest danger, once you learn the tells.

I've not used it myself but apparently it's now for dispelling Yokai Realms, rather than dealing massive Ki damage to Yokai.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Genocyber posted:

I've not used it myself but apparently it's now for dispelling Yokai Realms, rather than dealing massive Ki damage to Yokai.

What? But that is useless when you can dispel that yourself?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that makes it pretty worthless.

Edit: and, if that's the case, they should have changed the description.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 19, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i only had the 60 requests cheevo left so i decided to save scum it and sell all my items

the last point i spent on requests got me the cheevo and the platinum with no gold farming hell yeah

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am leveling the poo poo out of my guardian spirit. Not because its a big improvement, but because I love him. He stuck eith me through the whole game watching me level up, and now he gets to level up.

You earned it, little buddy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Spirit is my highest stat and my guardians just murder everything for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Spirit is my highest stat and my guardians just murder everything for me.

I have 50 magic and 25 spirit... And my guardians just murder everything for me.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah, but like, deep down they know you don't really have faith in them, and instead rely on your own magic powers

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah, but like, deep down they know you don't really have faith in them, and instead rely on your own magic powers

Actually, I'm pretty sure their elemental effect application still scales with my magic.

But yeah.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Geeze that's a lot of magic. How high is your magic stat? You'd need a lot of it, I'd assume.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gasha-Dokuro's spin attack is complete bullshit. How are you supposed to dodge that?f

EDIT: Oh, the orange circles regenerate living weapon. Sure would've been nice if the game explained that.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 19, 2017

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

RatHat posted:

Gasha-Dokuro's spin attack is complete bullshit. How are you supposed to dodge that?

At his feet, or outside his reach or above/below where the hit is going you will be able to avoid it, and he has a pretty big tell in regards to when he is going to do it. I recommend starting on the second level raised platform to take out his hands first, it will give you an idea of his tells

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WirelessPillow posted:

At his feet, or outside his reach or above/below where the hit is going you will be able to avoid it, and he has a pretty big tell in regards to when he is going to do it. I recommend starting on the second level raised platform to take out his hands first, it will give you an idea of his tells

Standing at his feet does not work, I tried that many times. I know all his tells at this point, I just can't find a way to avoid the spin attack. He likes to spam it too.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Fuligin posted:

I really hate this bat lady

I've beaten her but I'm not a huge fan of the bosses so far. It feels like I just have to know the boss's move set and the specific tells they have. The boss doesn't really react to me hitting them and it doesn't tend to telegraph well (just dumb stuff like grunting before a attack).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NovemberMike posted:

I've beaten her but I'm not a huge fan of the bosses so far. It feels like I just have to know the boss's move set and the specific tells they have. The boss doesn't really react to me hitting them and it doesn't tend to telegraph well (just dumb stuff like grunting before a attack).

Learning bosses' movesets and their tells is a big part of the game. Most bosses have super armor until you deplete their Ki, then they'll be staggered with each hit until they use a specific move to regen Ki.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm at the big giant skeleton boss, how far from the end of the game am I? Starting to find it becoming a bit of a slog more than anything now.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Frankston posted:

I'm at the big giant skeleton boss, how far from the end of the game am I? Starting to find it becoming a bit of a slog more than anything now.

One map left after him, the last few missions are hectic

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bugblatter posted:

Man I cannot for the life of me figure out where the final hot spring is. I swear I've been over every inch of every map.

Did you get the two that are connected to each other in the bath house? Also there's some super secret ones in later levels behind wall yokai IIRC.

I wish there was some special interaction with your co-op partner when you both go in at the same time.

Also goddamn but I feel like they doubled everything's health in chapter 4 of NG+. I breezed through the first three and now I can barely damage anything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new character 'cause I wasn't feeling axes and I'm enjoying the Kusagariyama a lot.

It's very all-or-nothing right now in the early game. I've been struggling against the bat lady, a boss I beat in about three tries on my axe character, mostly 'cause I'm trying out magic and ninjutsu. But before I had totally wrecked the first big boss, who had been a challenge with my axe character.

Am I correct in assuming that the ideal Kusagariyama strategy is to coat it in something the enemy doesn't like and then use the high stance square whirling dervish death combo with extreme prejudice? What are some general tips for good sickle skills?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For future reference, respeccing is pretty easy and cheap in Nioh, especially early on, so if you want to change again you don't need to make a new guy.

Kusarigama work well on their own but they're definitely good at building up status effects because they hit so quickly. Dexterity is their main scaling stat and that also gives you ninjutsu, so enjoy poisoning everything forever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

For future reference, respeccing is pretty easy and cheap in Nioh, especially early on, so if you want to change again you don't need to make a new guy.

Kusarigama work well on their own but they're definitely good at building up status effects because they hit so quickly. Dexterity is their main scaling stat and that also gives you ninjutsu, so enjoy poisoning everything forever.

On my first playthrough my foolproof method for handling difficult encounters was poison+fire, running away and just letting the enemy die

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I made a new person 'cause I figured it would be helpful to have the game's learning curve as an advantage as I learned about systems I hadn't touched on my first guy, i.e. ninja poo poo and magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I wish I had one more cross worth of item quickslots. It doesn't help that I keep my Elixirs in two slots (the same one in each cross) because there have been enough times I've tried to use an Elixir without realizing I didn't have the right quick slots up. But drat it, I have so many talismans I want to equip.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Theoretically if you decided to punch your way through the game (using ninjutsu for the massive damage boost) what would your build look like? I'm trying to imagine what set you'd try and use, or what you'd want your gear to look like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Theoretically if you decided to punch your way through the game (using ninjutsu for the massive damage boost) what would your build look like? I'm trying to imagine what set you'd try and use, or what you'd want your gear to look like.

You'd want gloves with a barehanded attack boost and the Talisman of the Fist from onmyo magic. I'm not sure if any stat scales barehanded damage--maybe Strength?

I'm really curious now what Living Weapon does if you have no weapon equipped.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Man I wish I had one more cross worth of item quickslots. It doesn't help that I keep my Elixirs in two slots (the same one in each cross) because there have been enough times I've tried to use an Elixir without realizing I didn't have the right quick slots up. But drat it, I have so many talismans I want to equip.

I read a suggestion on reddit that they shoulf have r2+face buttons for "item stances". Then you get 16 slots, and it's a mechanic you're already used to. This would be amazing.

In single player, I can just go into my inventory and switch out shortcuts on the fly, but in coop it's much harder.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It scales with strength but not 1:1. There's a ninjutsu that passively increases barehanded attack damage, one that gives a scroll that MASSIVELY increases it, carnage scrolls, a clan that increases barehanded attack damage by 70% (not sure how that stacks with carnage and the unarmed scroll).

I'm wondering if there's a set bonus you'd want to try for, you can't grapple with fists and parries are ohkos for anyone except bosses.

Living weapon can't be activated but guardian talismans work. Maybe enko with red demon armor for scorch bonus...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the absurd things you can just block with your weapon in this. Bullets? Sure, no problem. Cannon balls? Yep. The explosion from a sticky bomb that is stuck to your body? Why not? Block that poo poo!

Snak posted:

I read a suggestion on reddit that they shoulf have r2+face buttons for "item stances". Then you get 16 slots, and it's a mechanic you're already used to. This would be amazing.

Yeah, that'd be amazing, holy poo poo. That'd be pretty much perfect. How do you get suggestions to Team Ninja on this kind of thing? Like, they clearly listened to suggestions from the betas--were they only listening to Japanese players or were they looking at other comments, too?

Thumbtacks posted:

It scales with strength but not 1:1. There's a ninjutsu that passively increases barehanded attack damage, one that gives a scroll that MASSIVELY increases it, carnage scrolls, a clan that increases barehanded attack damage by 70% (not sure how that stacks with carnage and the unarmed scroll).

I'm wondering if there's a set bonus you'd want to try for, you can't grapple with fists and parries are ohkos for anyone except bosses.

Living weapon can't be activated but guardian talismans work. Maybe enko with red demon armor for scorch bonus...

I think the scroll that increases your barehanded damage is onmyo. Or is there a ninjutsu one, too?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Did you get the two that are connected to each other in the bath house? Also there's some super secret ones in later levels behind wall yokai IIRC.

It was the one behind the yokai wall in the last (non-epilogue) mission. Can't believe I missed it.

Kinda upset that the "collect all crafting materials" achievement requires waiting for Twilight Missions to rotate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the Guardian Spirit Talisman is my favorite offensive magic I've ever encountered in an action-RPG. I love just how varied it can be and how strong it is when you have the right spirit for the right situation.

Then again, so far, Suzaku has been the best spirit I've used with it. Enko is excellent, too, but Suzaku's huge AoE and multiple hits are goddamn amazing. Who else has good or cool Guardian Spirit Talisman attacks? I've been meaning to hang out at a shrine and try them all.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I love the absurd things you can just block with your weapon in this. Bullets? Sure, no problem. Cannon balls? Yep. The explosion from a sticky bomb that is stuck to your body? Why not? Block that poo poo!

Yeah, that'd be amazing, holy poo poo. That'd be pretty much perfect. How do you get suggestions to Team Ninja on this kind of thing? Like, they clearly listened to suggestions from the betas--were they only listening to Japanese players or were they looking at other comments, too?

I think the scroll that increases your barehanded damage is onmyo. Or is there a ninjutsu one, too?

Oh sorry, it is onmyo, so's Carnage. Ninjutsu has the passive bonus but it's unlocked after the unarmed parry one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think the Guardian Spirit Talisman is my favorite offensive magic I've ever encountered in an action-RPG. I love just how varied it can be and how strong it is when you have the right spirit for the right situation.

Then again, so far, Suzaku has been the best spirit I've used with it. Enko is excellent, too, but Suzaku's huge AoE and multiple hits are goddamn amazing. Who else has good or cool Guardian Spirit Talisman attacks? I've been meaning to hang out at a shrine and try them all.

Daiba-Washi has an aoe that pjcks people up and drops them. It's great crowd control and breaks yokai horns. So it's really good in thise oarts of Demon King where it spawns like 4 yokai at once, or for dealing with large grouos of small enemies. It can drop human bosses on their rear end for free final blows.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So, wait, when you quit out to the main menu, it doesn't save a la Dark Souls? Seriously?

I had found a pretty great sword too, man, c'mon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish the Sword of Execution mystic art applied to non-sword weapons, too. It's so goddamn strong that I have a hard time using any other weapon type when I'm fighting anything actually challenging. A huge boost to your damage from behind and final blows is really hard to give up for anything at all.

Snak posted:

Daiba-Washi has an aoe that pjcks people up and drops them. It's great crowd control and breaks yokai horns. So it's really good in thise oarts of Demon King where it spawns like 4 yokai at once, or for dealing with large grouos of small enemies. It can drop human bosses on their rear end for free final blows.

Hell yeah, that sounds good.

Unrelated, but how's 50 Magic working out for you? I saw on Reddit that the damage doesn't scale a ton, but do you find you build up elemental effects super quickly or anything like that? For my part, I think I'm going to stay at 30 Magic but pump Spirit once I get Skill to 50. Guardian Spirit Talisman I think scales with Spirit, and I'm also never going to turn down even better Living Weapons.

Soul Glo posted:

So, wait, when you quit out to the main menu, it doesn't save a la Dark Souls? Seriously?

I had found a pretty great sword too, man, c'mon.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way, too. It auto-saves regularly but not immediately when you quit to main menu. You can force a save by praying at a shrine or, if you're on the region map, pressing triangle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Daiba-Washi's AOE doesn't always knock people down. I'm not sure if it's because it doesn't empty their ki, or because they block. But he's one of the fastest charging spirits, so I get to use him a lot.

50 magic is working out pretty well. Getting discord on yokai is really easy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Goddamn I am bad at this game. This is probably exacerbated by my mostly playing turn based card games lately and having not actually used a controller since like, super smash bros fifteen years ago. I want to like it, but it's kind of an exercise in frustration when I can't even manage the camera right now.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I lucked into a purple Warrior of the West Katana with "Change to attack: Skill A+" on it (I've been pumping skill for dual katanas mostly so this sword is blowing everything else out of the water at the moment) and that skill has the two rectangles next to it. Should I just be soul matching this as long as I can afford it? It has some other specs that I'd like to keep, like adding a water element, Ki reduction on Mid-Stance attack, and final blow damage. Eventually I'm going to have to put it away, so how do I make sure I keep the Change to Attack: Skill on there if I forge it into another sword? Can I do that with this spec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Fhqwhgads posted:

Eventually I'm going to have to put it away, so how do I make sure I keep the Change to Attack: Skill on there if I forge it into another sword? Can I do that with this spec?

If it's the inheritable stat on the weapon then yeah, if not it's stuck on that weapon. It should have a little arrow and a line next to it if it's inheritable.