Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

The Moon Monster posted:

Wheelmonks are a pain in the rear end. Once you've figured them out they're trivial to beat but they still require a lot of standing around and playing defensively, and if you get impatient they can kill you pretty quickly. It seems like with the vast majority of enemies you can fight super aggressively once you have them figured out.
Ditto, gently caress 'em. I don't feel bad wasting ammo on them when I can take them out from a roof or distance. Definitely noticed how much more aggressive I've gotten when I restarted a dual / axe playthrough, which became a dual / spear playthrough because the axe was boring. :(

So much fun remembering how fighting one Yokai was originally terrifying, now it's just snap off their horns and jam something sharp in their arses without breaking stride even at level one. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Thumbtacks posted:

Run speed penalty? (I don't know what genbu is)

Genbu is a guardian spirit who has an extra 10% damage reduction but it reduces your sprinting speed to compensate.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Snak posted:

Just bought my first tranform. Nobunaga duh!

I think it's a real shame you can't play dress up in your transformations, though.
This doesn't apply to Nobunaga, but if you turn off Display Headgear in options it'll turn off headgear for transforms.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Having experimented: red demon armor bonuses are good but otherwise the armor does suck. Dying from like two hits is not enjoyable

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I get 3-4 greens off every revenant. It's awesome. They are almost all red demon, so I just use the shards to craft my own green poo poo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i finished all the main missions and submissions. Do I gotta do them all again for the mission achievement?

I also think its super funny that this game is like, twice as long as the longest souls game, and those games are already long.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't spend more time hitting the bosses, it's significantly quicker.

Also gently caress the water temple, I have died more to walking into water pits than anything else.

What he's saying is, like, hit more than once between each dodge. You're not going to do that in high stance, but you can in mid or low stance. Two hits in mid stance does more damage than one hit in high stance. Dodge, hit until you see a wind-up, then dodge again, and if you have ki pulse on dodge, you can probably hit again immediately. "Dodge, hit, wait for an attack, dodge, hit, wait for an attack" is going to kill bosses much more slowly and it's why a lot of players in the early parts of the game think bosses have too much health. (The same is true of Bloodborne--people say the bosses have too much health, but if you stay in their face and beat the poo poo out of them constantly, they die much, much faster.)

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm trying to upgrade a mononobe axe. It has change to attack (str) A on it, which I'd like to keep. If I upgrade it to +1, it loses the A, to a B+ and consequently I lose some damage on it. Any ideas on what to do here?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Yeah, I shouldnt of bothered with the red demon armor what a waste of time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm trying to upgrade a mononobe axe. It has change to attack (str) A on it, which I'd like to keep. If I upgrade it to +1, it loses the A, to a B+ and consequently I lose some damage on it. Any ideas on what to do here?

its dropping to b because its familiarity is resetting to 0

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Believe me I was trying. I know you don't need a clean and perfect prompt. I'm beyond frustrated because the stage of the game I'm at levels are coming slow.

Were you locked on to something? I know that stops you from circle buttoning revenants, I wonder if it does the same for your bloodstain for some reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nigulus Rex posted:

Special effects on divine gear go up with familiarity and soul matching resets familiarity. It'll be back to A once you get the familiarity up again.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

In NG+ you can get a rad divine accessory that reduces amount of set pieces you need to get set bonuses by 1. I'm dipping into 5 different sets and have 19% damage reduction with A agility and a bunch of damage bonuses on top.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Darth Walrus posted:

So magic is ridiculously powerful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2OfPY04fDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmPXo0g7XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TmeU0tZgQE

... but I think I'm getting the hang of the other aspects of Nioh's combat, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tflvyFuSU

In more current news, jesus christ Okatsu is basically this game's Capra Demon. Lightning-fast, tiny boss arena, hits like a truck. She's pretty manageable once you get past the first twenty seconds, but the first twenty seconds sure are something.

Man, you weren't kidding about magic being fun. After kind of slogging through the first few bosses with a basic axe setup, I got bored and restarted going heavy magic, along with katana and enough stamina to run heavy armor, and I'm having a blast. Even just having the buffs and debuffs made the first few bosses a breeze, and now that I finished off mission 4 and I can sling elements everywhere it's great. And I don't even have the talisman that everyone says breaks the game yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm going to farm for one of those because that sounds amazing. I'm not sure if I'll go so far as to dip into five different sets, but I think I can do three. I like the Justice Ministry set's Amrita Gauge boost but that's a 5-piece (4-piece with the accessory) bonus and that's still taking up most of the slots.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Wow, I did not expect to beat the Ogre lady the way I did. Cool boss.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm going to farm for one of those because that sounds amazing. I'm not sure if I'll go so far as to dip into five different sets, but I think I can do three. I like the Justice Ministry set's Amrita Gauge boost but that's a 5-piece (4-piece with the accessory) bonus and that's still taking up most of the slots.

You can get the 2-piece Warrior of the West and Yatagarasu bonuses just by equipping the bow/rifle.
I also get the 2-piece ministry set bonus for the dual swords. Then 3-piece Yagyu and 5-piece Red Demon to top it off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My go to for wheel monks is getting its path down, then shooting the motherfucker with a gun before running in like an addled lunatic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People have talked about getting lost in levels but Sawayama Castle is confusing on a whole other level

I have lost over a million amrita in this one level alone because I have died in places that I don't remember how to get back to and I've used up all my Summoner's Candles

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 20, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Superschaf posted:

You can get the 2-piece Warrior of the West and Yatagarasu bonuses just by equipping the bow/rifle.
I also get the 2-piece ministry set bonus for the dual swords. Then 3-piece Yagyu and 5-piece Red Demon to top it off.

Using 1 piece of a set to get the 2 piece bonus is the best :slick:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

lets hang out posted:

its dropping to b because its familiarity is resetting to 0

Thanks.

I'm trying to forge the Kaido set (got the smithing materials) but they all take Ogress Claws. I had 3, now I have 0 after making 3 pieces and they all suck. I probably need to read up on how to forge non rear end in a top hat gear though. It also costs like 900k to soul match my current divine Kaido set (I got 2 pieces from the axe training) up to 150...I only have 4 mil so that seems excessive.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Why the Kaido set and not obsidian?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Why the Kaido set and not obsidian?

Uh....no idea? I just decided to play with axes in NG+ and I saw some dude talking about the +damage from high stance and poo poo you get from Kaido. I'll have to look at obsidian.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Am I the only idiot to ever have problems with Hundred Eyes?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Winkie01 posted:

Th gimmick to that fight is that killing the eyes will refill your living weapon meter if it's active. That said I beat it mainly because I had enough deeps to kill him in under a minute.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Winkie01 posted:

No you're not, I did too.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Th gimmick to that fight is that killing the eyes will refill your living weapon meter if it's active. That said I beat it mainly because I had enough deeps to kill him in under a minute.

I ended up using Suzaku talisman when he summoned the eyes, and they seemed to disappear because he got staggered from it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Got the -1 set piece required magatama, hell yes.

Downside is that now I feel like the fact that neither of my +3 melee weapons are parts of a set means that I'm wasting those slots now, oh no :ohdear:. If nothing else, I think I'm going to try to replace my dual swords with the swords from the Righteous Strategist set so that I can get the 4-piece bonus of another set while maintaining the 5-piece bonus of Righteous Strategist. But to do that I'm going to have to beat Change to Attack (Spirit) A on it, which is going to take some really painful and expensive reforging.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

About 10 hours into the game, and for as much as I had a love/hate relationship with Bloodborne, and largely a hate-hate relationship with the Souls games, I really am enjoying myself.
Sure would like it if twilight missions could be something I could do.
I also scrimped and saved to ensure nothing but purple materials would go into crafting a weapon... and got a dogshit white. gently caress crafting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Am I getting burned out or are the levels getting less and less inspired?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

How far are you? Some of the levels in the last two regions are pretty unique, though enemy variety is a real problem in Nioh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

How far are you? Some of the levels in the last two regions are pretty unique, though enemy variety is a real problem in Nioh.

Was going to say this. The last time I was surprised by a cool new enemy was in region 2 I think (the big tongue dudes). There are the birds men and the ribbon ladies, but gently caress the bird man and the ribbon lady can't fight for poo poo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I thought the level design was consistent but they run out of new enemies/mechanics to introduce surprisingly early on.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Onyudo are the best

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So is the game really meant to ramp up hard in mission level later on? I've just finished the Sekigahara Region and most of the levels were easily 10-15 levels higher than what I currently was, and it's not like I'm speedrunning I'm going out of my way to kill everything and comb every inch of the maps and do co-op too.

JBP posted:

Was going to say this. The last time I was surprised by a cool new enemy was in region 2 I think (the big tongue dudes). There are the birds men and the ribbon ladies, but gently caress the bird man and the ribbon lady can't fight for poo poo.

My immediate reaction to the stage that had an arena with two bird men was gently caress THIS NOISE (got it in two tries)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ribbon lady has a nice rear end and tits

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When bird man hovers I shoot his rear end with a cannon. gently caress off bird dick. I don't know why, but despite knowing his moveset and tells the bird gives me a run for my money every single time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

So is the game really meant to ramp up hard in mission level later on? I've just finished the Sekigahara Region and most of the levels were easily 10-15 levels higher than what I currently was, and it's not like I'm speedrunning I'm going out of my way to kill everything and comb every inch of the maps and do co-op too.

Yeah, that's normal. The mission levels almost seem more like an indication of how good the loot will be than anything. The little gravestone indicators are better for determining how hard it'll be for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

5er posted:

I also scrimped and saved to ensure nothing but purple materials would go into crafting a weapon... and got a dogshit white. gently caress crafting.

You can see the percentage chances of crafting each rarity at the very top before you confirm the craft.

And you really shouldn't have to scrimp and save to get purple materials. You can combine lower quality materials into higher quality ones, so unless you're like offering all your gear for XP there's no reason you shouldn't be drowning in materials all the time.

Trying to craft something good I end up using all purple materials and making like 10 or more of the weapon to see which rolls the most stats. "all purples" shouldn't be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there any way to not have to battle the tiny one eyed yoki? The long tongue idiot that does no damage until he decides to turn into whatever you were just fighting.

They own and I like them and don't like killing them.

Also to the badger emote guys ever drop good poo poo. Lil dick taken over a treasure chest and dropping whites wtf