Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can see the percentage chances of crafting each rarity at the very top before you confirm the craft.

And you really shouldn't have to scrimp and save to get purple materials. You can combine lower quality materials into higher quality ones, so unless you're like offering all your gear for XP there's no reason you shouldn't be drowning in materials all the time.

I like to drop into missions that are a single arena littered with gravestones to pick up a guaranteed bounty of purple items to go and smash up at the forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's normal. The mission levels almost seem more like an indication of how good the loot will be than anything. The little gravestone indicators are better for determining how hard it'll be for you.

Also checking bloody graves when your in the level and seeing that yeah a level 76 died here.

In lvl 16 WoTW gear no doubt

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

JBP posted:

I like to drop into missions that are a single arena littered with gravestones to pick up a guaranteed bounty of purple items to go and smash up at the forge.

Any good suggestions for stages like this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's cool how the in game gravestone system makes red demon and wotw sets spread like cancer. I want to eventually build a nice Yagyu set so I can die over and over and gift it to the world.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Policenaut posted:

Wherever Ninja Bridge Jerk is for his side mission.

So many graves.

Also whatever side mission ends with you battling an Oniryoko in a river

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

verbal enema posted:

Is there any way to not have to battle the tiny one eyed yoki? The long tongue idiot that does no damage until he decides to turn into whatever you were just fighting.

They own and I like them and don't like killing them.

Also to the badger emote guys ever drop good poo poo. Lil dick taken over a treasure chest and dropping whites wtf

You're gesturing back to the tanukis, right? You don't get as much loot if you kill them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Policenaut posted:

Any of the sub missions where you fight one enemy are good. The ones with a bridge or a single large target that doesnt aggro until you pass a certain point are the best. Most regions have a mission like this and they always meant good access to loads of quality disassemble gear. Like you should be able to pick up purples as speedily as you can drop the enemy revenants.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Is there any way to not have to battle the tiny one eyed yoki? The long tongue idiot that does no damage until he decides to turn into whatever you were just fighting.

They own and I like them and don't like killing them.

Also to the badger emote guys ever drop good poo poo. Lil dick taken over a treasure chest and dropping whites wtf

If you're talking about the small One-eyed Oni, they turn into their big form after absorbing enough Amrita by attacking you. Dodge their tongue attacks and they'll never transform.

Easiest way to take them out is by sniping at a distance, though they'll just dodge if they've noticed you. In that case low stance is the best, or skills that move you forward (e.g. the low stance sword skill where you dash at the end of a combo is really good).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

tap my mountain posted:

You're gesturing back to the tanukis, right? You don't get as much loot if you kill them.

Oh for sure I love their goofy tail I just feel like they hoard the good poo poo

Prolly selling it to the kappas who I'm p sure only exist in the cave levels

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wait, you gesture at the monsters for what now?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn the speedruns are already under two hours and there's lots of time to make up https://m.twitch.tv/videos/123202985

Also apparently there's a way or bug to get level 320 weapons??

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

JBP posted:

The goofy lil dudes who pop out of treasure chests.

Repeat what they did and you won't get murdered

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

verbal enema posted:

Oh for sure I love their goofy tail I just feel like they hoard the good poo poo

Prolly selling it to the kappas who I'm p sure only exist in the cave levels

That's no tail...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

tap my mountain posted:

That's no tail...

Huge Balls!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

If you're talking about the small One-eyed Oni, they turn into their big form after absorbing enough Amrita by attacking you. Dodge their tongue attacks and they'll never transform.

Easiest way to take them out is by sniping at a distance, though they'll just dodge if they've noticed you. In that case low stance is the best, or skills that move you forward (e.g. the low stance sword skill where you dash at the end of a combo is really good).

That much everybody knows I think, but is there a way you can gesture at them? I feel like maybe you could, but I haven't done it.

JBP posted:

The tanookis that pop out of treasures and appear like clones of you, if you do a gesture fast enough they'll just wave, drop loot, and leave; with no fight.

Also the door-demons will bow and leave if you do a proper gesture, but if you do the wrong one they attack you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

verbal enema posted:

Oh for sure I love their goofy tail

tap my mountain posted:

That's no tail...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JBP posted:

It's cool how the in game gravestone system makes red demon and wotw sets spread like cancer. I want to eventually build a nice Yagyu set so I can die over and over and gift it to the world.

I am in full Yatagarasu and die dozens of times in every level, just my way of giving back

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they're badgers and it is their tail read the lore :colbert:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nigulus Rex posted:

Uh....no idea? I just decided to play with axes in NG+ and I saw some dude talking about the +damage from high stance and poo poo you get from Kaido. I'll have to look at obsidian.

Obsidian is better assuming you're using Rage, which you should (especially with the mystic art that gives you +damage if you run out of ki) and pairs well with the bear. Kaido is also good, obsidian is just better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

they're badgers and it is their tail read the lore :colbert:

No it's their ballsack dude. If you look closely you can see how it wraps around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think I understand how inheriting abilities with soul matching works. Like, I understand it on paper, but sometimes I'll have an item that doesn't seem like it has any conflicting abilities but it won't inherit anything anyway. Are there other considerations, or a more reliable list of what abilities conflict than the one on the wiki?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Obsidian is better assuming you're using Rage, which you should (especially with the mystic art that gives you +damage if you run out of ki) and pairs well with the bear. Kaido is also good, obsidian is just better.

Do I need a sword for Rage? I think the skill description is "Sword sheated" or does that just mean whatever weapon I'm using?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I've done the intro mission, the 'boat boss' mission and the first side mission. I still can't spend skill points. How do I spend skill points? What mission/thing do I have to do to unlock the skill section?

edit: doing a ninja training mission right now and I think this is the bit where I learn it, lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

Hi. I've done the intro mission, the 'boat boss' mission and the first side mission. I still can't spend skill points. How do I spend skill points? What mission/thing do I have to do to unlock the skill section?

You should be able to spend skill points. If you're talking about the skills that are locked until you complete a certain mission, you have to do the missions at the dojo at the Starting Point on the mission select map. Those unlock new tiers of skills and you get more as you go (eventually they stop being tutorials and instead turn into sparring duels with trainers).

vv Oh yes, also that. It's an option in the click-the-touchpad menu like your inventory and equipment. You can spend skill points anywhere.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You don't spend skill points at the shrine, you the option is in the same menu where you access your inventory.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

You should be able to spend skill points. If you're talking about the skills that are locked until you complete a certain mission, you have to do the missions at the dojo at the Starting Point on the mission select map. Those unlock new tiers of skills and you get more as you go (eventually they stop being tutorials and instead turn into sparring duels with trainers).

Snak posted:

You don't spend skill points at the shrine, you the option is in the same menu where you access your inventory.

Thanks. The training mission 'level 5' showed me how to spend skill points. I'd seen that 'skill customization' was blanked out and didn't see 'learn skills' next to it. I have a bunch of points to spend now!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Thanks. The training mission 'level 5' showed me how to spend skill points. I'd seen that 'skill customization' was blanked out and didn't see 'learn skills' next to it. I have a bunch of points to spend now!

Np. I remember playing the alpha demo and constantly getting confused which menus had which upgrade options.

Speaking of the alpha, in the alpha, the cyclops yokai got full health when they transformed. Now they have the same percentage as they did before tranforming.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
They also transform back to children after a certain amount of time or for reasons I don't understand.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Another question. I learned the ninja skill that allows me to 'ready 2 fire talismans' "talisman: fire 1". Does this just enable me to use ones I pick up? It So you have to buy a skill to even use them, it's not a skill to allow you to create them?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

Another question. I learned the ninja skill that allows me to 'ready 2 fire talismans' "talisman: fire 1". Does this just enable me to use ones I pick up? It So you have to buy a skill to even use them, it's not a skill to allow you to create them?

You get your own special fire talismans. Go to the shrine and pick Ready Jutsu and you can ready them, then equip them in item quick slots. They work the same as the Fire Medallions you pick up, but last longer and get renewed every time you pray at a shrine. That's how all magic and ninjutsu work--you "ready" them at a shrine and then equip them like items, and they refill when you pray at a shrine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Always ready your Jutsu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redreader posted:

It gives you free ones every time you spawn. They're different from the consumable ones but do the same thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I kind of want to try this ninja build, seems potentially cool!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Read my rear end

It's a jerk who hides the summoner's candles from me

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress I've been doing a Spirit build and I'm in the 6th region and I just now realized that you can chug those cheapass 100 amrita spirit stones to charge your living weapon or even refill the whole bar when it's active. I've used like 200 of them from map for no reason

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I kind of want to try this ninja build, seems potentially cool!

This is pretty rad.

Also lol I didn't realize you could rez your buddy NPCs if they die in battle. I just kinda figured they were down for the count at that point :haw:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

gently caress I've been doing a Spirit build and I'm in the 6th region and I just now realized that you can chug those cheapass 100 amrita spirit stones to charge your living weapon or even refill the whole bar when it's active. I've used like 200 of them from map for no reason

I know you can and I still don't just because I keep forgetting to do it when I'm actually in a level.

This game has SO MANY tools and weapons and consumables and techniques, you don't even have to use half of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does ninjutsu increase backstab damage? I can never get my head around exactly what more ninja and onmyo points actually do to your spells, gadgets and abilities.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Does ninjutsu increase backstab damage? I can never get my head around exactly what more ninja and onmyo points actually do to your spells, gadgets and abilities.

The biggest thing is that more ninja or magic gives you both more ability (extra damage) but also more capacity and skill points, which means more spells period, more charges for the same spells; more uses. But for things like fire shot or kunai or whatever, it does increase the damage. And ninja gear tends to give huge bonuses.

By default shuriken and kunai are basically only there as interrupts, kinda like the blunderbuss in bloodborne. But with enough ninja skill you can do serious damage with them, like that video shows. But you have to really stack things if you wanna take down bosses with them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Backstabs count as grapples.

Edit: the reason that I think this is because my clan bonus for Maeda clan is "Enemy Defense Lowered 20% (Grapple)" and it procs when I backstab.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Can I get smithing texts for the Gyousha (Spirit defense) set somewhere?